Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Youmuu's Gallery
posted 08-12-13 09:40 AM CT (US)   
I thought of this after seeing both Mithril Knight's Desing Workshop and Your Works of Art, so the most credits for the idea goes to the authors of these threads.

Moving on, this topic is basically a show-off where I'll put my screenshots to brag/inform you about upcoming scenarios etc. Don't want to get YWoA spammed.

Of course I'll still be postin' some stuff there, in case I'll find some interesting combination of graphics, to let more people know.

These are the screenshots i managed to get so far, the project I'm working on will be called "The Citadel of Ama", and It'll be a non-playable scenario.

Opinions? Ideas?

_,-=-._----------_,-=-._----------_,-=-._----------_,-=-._----------_,-=-._
./'..........'\.-----./'..../##'\.-----./'####'\.-----./'##\....'\.-----./'..........'\.
|.............|---|....|####|---|######|---|####|....|---|.............|
'\............/'-----'\....'\##./'-----'\.####./'-----'\.##/'..../'-----'\............/'
''^=^''----------''^=^''----------''^=^''----------''^=^''----------''^=^''
Showoff thread | Upcoming project : A Winter of Blood

[This message has been edited by Youmuu (edited 08-13-2013 @ 09:47 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-12-13 11:28 AM CT (US)     1 / 14  
I think in the last screenshot the buildings are too crammed.

posted 08-12-13 03:27 PM CT (US)     2 / 14  
I thought so aswell, will be sure to change it.

New screenies:

So, back when I've played Sagropireia (which is a glorious scenario, i admire every part of it), I really liked the korean wonder at the cliffs near the sea, the description said "This building is so rich in age that only the numerous plants keep it from collapsing". There were no plants in the building , so I thought I might aswell add them myself. Hopefully Lord Basse won't slap me for stealing his ideas, but oh well, couldn't resist.

This building acts as a sacred place/heart of the cult, therefore any renovation attempts are taken as profanation and often reported to the local inquisition.

More screenshots:

Nearby shores:

Aztec temple high in the mountains:

As always, I'm up for fresh ideas.

./'..........'\.-----./'..../##'\.-----./'####'\.-----./'##\....'\.-----./'..........'\.
'\............/'-----'\....'\##./'-----'\.####./'-----'\.##/'..../'-----'\............/'
posted 08-12-13 04:11 PM CT (US)     3 / 14  
Nice! I really like wonders in mountains or near sea. as for ideas, how about a bazaar? Or a lighthouse?

posted 08-12-13 04:35 PM CT (US)     4 / 14  
i like the wonders

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 08-12-13 08:37 PM CT (US)     5 / 14  
Placing buildings in mountains is something I've come to love as well, thanks to UserPatch. Great stuff Youmuu, it's great to see this level of inspiration in a designer!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 08-13-13 07:12 AM CT (US)     6 / 14  
Thanks guys
@Arnas, I'll think of it.

Meanwhile

Fortress of Totl, located in the Ragged Peaks near the entrance of the city, thanks to it's location, which is rich in iron, became the main reason other city-states are still keeping up the old trade contracts with the Citadel. Numerous forges adorn the tops of the mountains flooding the lower parts of the fortress with crimson red light. In many old towns there are still no bridges, for binding the river would anger the water deities. Following this, others should fear the Citadel, for it was able to bind the mountains themselves. A look to behold, admire and fear. But also a look to be proud of.

posted 08-16-13 10:12 AM CT (US)     7 / 14  
those look great
posted 08-16-13 05:29 PM CT (US)     8 / 14  
Hopefully Lord Basse won't slap me for stealing his ideas, but oh well, couldn't resist.
I developed my own style by often imitating other, better designers' styles, so don't fret.

Though, I'm pretty sure the building held up by roots and planst was the tiny house on the western side of the island, not the Korean Wonder, which is why it wasn't overgrown. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I looked at the scenario last!

One suggestion I would give you is to be a little more careful when cramming buildings together. For it to look good, you can't have doors opening to nothing (e.g. the Blacksmith opening in the last screenshot). You should also be weary of mixing buildings with different types of architecture; unless they blend very well, it comes off as simple clutter.

That being said, you definitely have a lot of potential, and most of your screenshots already look very good! It's only a few that look too cluttered or not very well thought through, i.e. the temple in the last screenshot and, to a lesser extent, the last screenshot in the TP with the inner yard. Why, for example, would a neighbourhood like this have two windmills?

All in all, keep on working and experimenting and you might just end up as one of the greats!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-16-13 05:38 PM CT (US)     9 / 14  
Something I try to do is make sure the mountain borders don't look out of place. The tan mountains were designed so they blend in with the Dirt1 terrain, while the green ones blend well with grass. Generally, if I can't make those blends, then I just cover the borders up with bushes or rocks.

Great stuff though man, keep at it

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 08-17-13 04:28 AM CT (US)     10 / 14  
Thanks guys, you're always welcome to hand me some advice. These will definitely help me improve my style!

The green district:

Still quite WIP, as you can see. As Basse said, tried to place buildings in a more detached way. Sorry for the lack of screenies lately, but other things have been occupying my time :/

posted 08-17-13 04:42 AM CT (US)     11 / 14  
Getting back at the opening post, I don't like the use of mountains next to open water. You've hidden the ugly edges quite well with the jungle palms and bamboo. I suggest trying something similar for the rest of the coastline.
posted 08-17-13 05:37 AM CT (US)     12 / 14  
Getting back at the opening post, I don't like the use of mountains next to open water. You've hidden the ugly edges quite well with the jungle palms and bamboo. I suggest trying something similar for the rest of the coastline.
That part wasn't finished back then.

posted 08-17-13 06:11 AM CT (US)     13 / 14  
In that case, scrap my last comment then.
posted 08-17-13 06:54 AM CT (US)     14 / 14  
This is how it looks now

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Youmuu's Gallery
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames