Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Galderton Hill RP - Project Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 12-30-14 12:19 PM CT (US)   

In the tumultuous and dangerous land of Verstonia, the wrathful gods favor the one who builds a shrine in their honor on Galderton Hill

Brought to you by HockeySam18, Popeychops, Lord Basse, and Jan dc

A joint Stormwind Studios and BlackForest Studios production

Download it at the Blacksmith here!

General info:

Inspired by "The Seas of Egressa" and "Mare Nostrum", "Galderton Hill" is a roleplay (RP) scenario that is not your everyday game of AoK. Taking the reins of power of one of 8 factions, you must tend to the growth of your empire, conduct diplomacy, foster commerce and trade, and plot your path to hegemony. There is a set of rules governing one's actions with regard to diplomacy, expansion, and warfare that must be enforced and followed by all players. Punitive power lies with the host should grave infractions be committed, but let us hope that things do not come to that!

This scenario is designed in AoC (UserPatch), but will be playable in AoC, AoE2HD, AoF, and AoAK for maximum compatibility across the various versions of AoK.

Context:

The map quite literally centers on the grand stone city of Aldria, an ancient power that dominates the land of Verstonia. Though once a noble and righteous people, the Aldrians, through excessive wealth, decadence, and fear of mortality have given themselves over to the worship of dark powers that offer immortality in return for service. Fallen into superstition, cruelty, and the oppression of their vassals, the Aldrians undertake a mad initiative in the name of their gods: bleeding the land and people dry of resources to build grim shrines and thereby demonstrate their malevolent piety.

Though no faction is at war at the start, this aggressive quest will force all players to action, whether for the sake of self-preservation or in spiritual opposition to the dark powers controlling the Aldrians and threatening the existence of Verstonia. Through strong leadership and shrewd diplomacy, you must grow your empire and achieve your objectives in a world twisted by ambition and betrayal.

Contrary to most RP maps, this map is not centered on an ocean, and so will be dominated by land trade and warfare. Nonetheless, it is divided by several rivers, so investing in water-based trade may be wise and maintaining a small protective fleet would be wise. Furthermore, your civilizations will not play as they would in a normal game of AoK. Certain technologies, units, and even unit lines have been disabled for certain factions to balance the game and drive players away from conventional play.

The players and their motives:

The great city on Galderton Hill:

Player 1: Aldria; Britons: situated on Galderton Hill and dominating the surrounding landscape, Aldria is protected by formidable stone walls and steep cliffs encircled by a deep, wide moat. As the major city in the region, it is the center of commerce and much trade passes through the three massive causeways leading into the city. Aldria wants to maintain control over its three vassals and through domination of the region secure the resources necessary to construct four grandiose shrines (wonders) in the center of the city.

The three subservient vassals:

Player 2: Voringia; Franks: Aldria's northern vassal, Voringia is rich in resources and holds much fertile land. Their prosperity often makes them the target of mounted Valan raiders pouring out of the north. In response to this threat, the Voringians have developed a potent heavy cavalry force backed by imposing axe throwers. Their goal is to end their exploitation by the Aldrians and defend themselves from nomadic invasions.

Player 3: Lindshire; Teutons, or optionally Slavs if playing AoF: situated to the southwest of Aldria, Lindshire is weary of Aldrian control and of the three vassals will most aggressively seek independence. Although the subject of raids from the Sundsvars and Thorsfoldings on their borders, the Lindish have lately improved relations with their nomadic neighbors and may attempt to form a political union with them, establishing a rival empire.

Player 4: Rovion; Byzantines, or optionally Italians if playing AoF: is of the three vassals the most loyal to the city, being governed by a minor branch of the royal family of Aldria. The Rovionese live in constant fear of the Morathians, with whom they have poor relations and rely extensively on the Aldrians for protection. Incredibly pious, the Rovionese are obsessed with gathering holy relics and are fanatically opposed to the dark powers. When the seeds of rebellion are sown, Rovion must choose between its bond with the city, the welfare of its people, and its staunch piety.

The four outlying nomadic factions:

Player 5: Valon; Huns, or optionally Magyars if playing AoF: a confederation of nomadic horsemen bred in the wastes of the dreaded Valonian desert, the Valans sweep out of the north and have set their eyes on the rich, fertile lands south of the barren Mountains of Geroth. They are not whatsoever religious but have a fierce love of gold and are intent on plundering the riches of the major powers, as well as acquiring arable land that can sustain their people.

Player 6: Morath; Mongols: nomadic horsemen of the east famed for their cruelty, the Morathians are fervent worshipers of the dark gods, the antithesis of the Rovionese and their worst enemy. Above all, they wish the destruction of Rovion and the other vassals of Aldria. However, they view the Aldrian worship of the dark gods as heretical because the Aldrians seek to demonstrate piety through erecting marvelous structures and promoting order rather than destruction and chaos. The Morathians have a unique choice - will they pursue the destruction of all other nations through military might, or assimilate and join the power struggle through more peaceful and diplomatic means?

Player 7: Sundsvar; Goths: once secretive, indigenous woodsmen, the Sundsvars have now revealed themselves and emerged as a formidable fighting force, laying claim to the western marches of Verstonia. Normally a peaceful people, they are nonetheless vicious when provoked and should not be taken lightly. Their primary goal is a political union with Lindshire and maintaining independence from Aldria in the hope of establishing a merchant republic.

Player 8: Thorsfold; Vikings: the wildcard of the scenario, the Thorsfoldings have no part in the religious tumult of the region, worshiping the Aesir (Norse gods) instead. They have a love for battle and are fearsomely strong warriors, but above all wish the peace and prosperity of their people. Though their holdings lie in and just outside the snowy Mountains of Lundmark, they find the rich land of Verstonia much to their liking. Should conflict arise, they will have to pick a side and fight or risk being trapped and forgotten in the resource-poor south of the map.

Screenshots:

The Citadel on Galderton Hill | Thorsfolding Village | Sundsvarn Forest | Valan Camp | Raven's Crag | The Morathian Steppe | An idyllic setting | A trade caravan | Lindish fortress
A crumbling temple to the gods of old | The Count of Rovion surveys his town | Voringian town | The Sundsvars have hastily erected a camp | A rural fortress

More coming soon!

Designing progress:

Map design: ~100%
Triggers: 100% (a healthy total of 66, believe it or not!)
Sound & Bitmap: 100% (a whopping 1 sound )
Story, Instructions & History: 100%
Overall: 100%

Playtesting:

Now that the scenario has been released, there is no longer need for playtesting, but the efforts of the numerous playtesters (see the credits list in the scenario) are much appreciated. Naturally, if you should decide to play the map with your friends, any feedback is welcome!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 07-10-2017 @ 10:32 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-30-14 12:37 PM CT (US)     1 / 108  
Sounds and looks awesome!

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 12-31-14 04:57 AM CT (US)     2 / 108  
Awesome Stuff Guys. Looks amazing. It's nice to see Stormwind & Blackforest team up for something like this.
posted 12-31-14 07:28 AM CT (US)     3 / 108  
Can't wait. Good luck!

......▄▄██▌█
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ )¬,|¯ (¬ /-\ |\| |/¬ |\| | (¬ |-| --|--
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀ You're gonna eat lightnin'and you're gonna crap thunder. - Mickey Goldmill from Rockey II
posted 12-31-14 09:37 AM CT (US)     4 / 108  
Thanks guys
It's nice to see Stormwind & Blackforest team up for something like this.
Indeed, it's been a long time coming!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 12-31-14 09:49 AM CT (US)     5 / 108  
Shame the Blackforest Forums are pretty much dead at the moment. Hopefully something will be done about this
posted 12-31-14 11:57 AM CT (US)     6 / 108  
To be fair, SWS isn't the most active forum either, but we have a core group of guys that are consistently around. I'd say that most of the activity is in the topic we have for Merchant, but it's a design team so that makes sense

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-11-15 04:16 PM CT (US)     7 / 108  
Map design --> 45%

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 03-15-15 03:20 PM CT (US)     8 / 108  
I haven't been able to work on this much lately (RL reasons, etc), but I had a bit of time to think about the story and change up some placenames that I wasn't satisfied with.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-19-15 11:20 AM CT (US)     9 / 108  
Looks great!

posted 04-19-15 04:23 PM CT (US)     10 / 108  
Thanks! I'm hoping to work on it a little this week while I'm home.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-25-15 02:22 PM CT (US)     11 / 108  
New screenshot (also visible in the OP): The Morathian Steppe.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-25-15 02:56 PM CT (US)     12 / 108  
Nice screen, but am I the only one who can't stand the sight of dark age buildings?

And some more eye candy may not hurt.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel

[This message has been edited by Defibrilator (edited 04-25-2015 @ 02:57 PM).]

posted 04-25-15 03:16 PM CT (US)     13 / 108  
nice screen, HockeySam18
but i ask me how it would look if the tower would be replaced with the sea tower, because the roof would fit more with the yurts.
posted 04-25-15 03:45 PM CT (US)     14 / 108  
Nice screen, but am I the only one who can't stand the sight of dark age buildings?
They're definitely tough to make look good. I like them for a nomadic player (at the start, at least), though, since you can get some nice-looking tents through stacking the houses with other houses and/or yurts and other buildings.

3 of the 4 nomadic factions (the Hun, Goth, and Mongol players) start in the Dark Age (for balance and story reasons), while the 4th nomadic faction (Vikings) starts in Feudal. As many RP games end up being post-Imperial wars (in which Vikings are weaker than most), I gave the Viking player a little edge over the other nomadic factions at the start. Obviously, since it's an RP, the players will age up to Feudal within a few minutes, so the building graphics will change (which is why I'll probably stick with the Watch Towers, as they'll fit in once the player advances in age, while the Sea Towers won't). The other downside to Sea Towers is that they don't upgrade, so in the end they would look rather out of place when this player is in later ages and would be less effective as well.
And some more eye candy may not hurt.
I agree with this. I was going for an open steppe feel and using primarily terrain mixing and elevation to get that result, especially so the player would have some room to build as they start in Dark, but I'll add some rocks, plants, a few pine trees, and perhaps a few other things to make it a little less plain.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-26-15 05:50 PM CT (US)     15 / 108  
I just uploaded the latest version of the file to the Dropbox folder - it should be titled Galderton Hill RP v0.9. I won't have the chance to work on this again for at least a month, so have at it, Lord Basse, Popey, and Jan, if you have the time

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 05-02-15 06:43 AM CT (US)     16 / 108  
Looks good,even though Multiplayer scenarios (and especially RP ones) are not my favourites.

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.
posted 05-03-15 05:00 PM CT (US)     17 / 108  
that is really pro what you did with the mountains and the river running under the castle.
posted 05-03-15 08:00 PM CT (US)     18 / 108  
I'm glad you like it! It's one of my favorite tricks when designing winter scenes with the Viking building set - I believe I was first inspired by something similar in the scenario "Halfdan and the Inheritance of the Ynglings" by Gunther Zengerle.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 06-23-15 05:42 PM CT (US)     19 / 108  
We're finally getting some more work done on this one, so I figured I'd update and talk about something that makes the scenario unique from other RPs. Most players in the RP will have unique victory conditions - some will have to build a certain number of wonders in certain locations, one will want to capture a certain number of relics, one will want a conquest victory, one will want to accumulate a certain amount of gold, and there will be others as well.

Hopefully this, in tow with the rest of the balancing, will add a sense of urgency and be conducive in some games to more early fighting as opposed to the "boom and do nothing for 3 hours" that plagues many RP games. You'll also see some very interesting deals and alliances made in order to achieve certain agendas and prevent others from achieving theirs.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 06-23-2015 @ 11:12 PM).]

posted 06-24-15 05:14 AM CT (US)     20 / 108  
Love the idea. I do kind of hate how most RP's are full of nothingness. Multiple win conditions will likely add a sense of tension to the game.

posted 06-24-15 01:43 PM CT (US)     21 / 108  
I hope so too!

New screenie (also visible in the OP) - an idyllic setting.

I have this tendency of working CSC themes into my design somehow

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 06-24-15 04:02 PM CT (US)     22 / 108  
hey, i like the screenshot!
posted 06-24-15 05:47 PM CT (US)     23 / 108  
Thanks!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 06-24-15 07:26 PM CT (US)     24 / 108  
I take offense to you using photobucket. it's not 2009! use imgur.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 06-24-15 07:28 PM CT (US)     25 / 108  
How funny. I started making a map just yesterday (after more than 2 years of not making any scenarios), and I also planned to have custom victory conditions. They are even pretty similar: Collecting all relics, getting a huge amount of gold, building castles in core spots. And this was before your post.

Hopefully we can all finish our projects, would yield ample new maps for MP to play.
posted 06-25-15 01:17 AM CT (US)     26 / 108  
I take offense to you using photobucket. it's not 2009! use imgur.
You know quite well that keeping up to date with technology is not a strength of mine. Until about 2 years ago, I still ran AoE2 on a desktop computer from circa 2000

Regardless, imgur sounds nice. One thing I find annoying about photobucket is that you can't link straight to an image in view mode, but rather to the image as part of the album, causing ads to come up and allowing people to scroll through all of your images :/
How funny. I started making a map just yesterday (after more than 2 years of not making any scenarios), and I also planned to have custom victory conditions. They are even pretty similar: Collecting all relics, getting a huge amount of gold, building castles in core spots. And this was before your post.
Even now, ES leaves a mark - I must admit that the gold goal for a raider civ was slightly inspired by the Attila 3 scenario, though the way it will function will be far different. I used a similar system in one of the scenarios in the Forgotten, but in this case, instead of triggering for specific buildings, I think I'll use AoKTS to create a system where a player gets gold for razings. Still figuring it out, though. Relics are a no-brainer, not just because of their unique role in terms of gameplay but also due to some of the religiously driven aspects of the canon in this scenario.

Castles are a better system if the victory condition is about establishing theoretical map control (i.e. building forts in regions X, Y, and Z). In this specific case, however, I tend to prefer wonders for a few reasons:

a) Wonders scream cultural dominance at you - they're marvelous structures that in real history were erected as marks of cultural or religious supremacy. Given the canonical motivations of certain players in the scenario, I thought this rather fitting.

b) The map location is also a vital aspect of this decision. Not only do wonders take more time to build than castles, but they also give that nice warning and visibility to other players when construction is begun. Given that the goal of certain players will be to build varying numbers of wonders in that specific location, the notification and build time will allow other players to react accordingly. Building 4 castles in that central bastion could be accomplished in 2 minutes or so with enough villagers, and wonders cost much more as well. I'm hopeful that this will further the depth of gameplay - when does a player deem it prudent to make the massive investment involved in wonder(s)? If they drop that many resources in such a short period of time, will they have enough eco left to defend their position?

Depending on whether or not this is fair in practice, I may add a timer as well that goes off once the wonder (or wonders) are completed. The obvious issue with this is that once a timer goes off, deactivating it only pauses the timer instead of resetting it, so there would need to be certain workarounds implemented.

Some of this would be so much easier if you could select custom victory conditions for each player separately. Fortunately, anything is theoretically possible through triggers

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 06-25-15 08:25 AM CT (US)     27 / 108  
egardless, imgur sounds nice. One thing I find annoying about photobucket is that you can't link straight to an image in view mode, but rather to the image as part of the album, causing ads to come up and allowing people to scroll through all of your images :/
They did allow it for a while, that's why I moved there after imageshack. However, CK posted so often about imgur that I gave it a shot and never went back to photobucket (which has far more aggressive popup ads lately, so another reason not to use it).
Even now, ES leaves a mark - I must admit that the gold goal for a raider civ was slightly inspired by the Attila 3 scenario, though the way it will function will be far different. I used a similar system in one of the scenarios in the Forgotten, but in this case, instead of triggering for specific buildings, I think I'll use AoKTS to create a system where a player gets gold for razings.
I was inspired by a Civ 4 BtS scenario/mod: Crossroads of the world. Hence, the gold-victory-civ is a peaceful trade focused one, we already differ greatly here I see.

You are very right about most things about wonders (the "wrong" one listed below), don't have much to add. I use castles to make the respective faction establish military dominance.

But one thing about wonders: They only grant a warning and visibility on standard victory, which means that a winning countdown would start after the very first one is completed, possibly contradicting the goal to build a higher amount.
Some of this would be so much easier if you could select custom victory conditions for each player separately. Fortunately, anything is theoretically possible through triggers
If I am not mistaken, the .vc files might still work, giving AoE-like victory conditions. But if triggers work for you, then that's good.
posted 06-25-15 09:19 AM CT (US)     28 / 108  
I was inspired by a Civ 4 BtS scenario/mod: Crossroads of the world. Hence, the gold-victory-civ is a peaceful trade focused one, we already differ greatly here I see.
A brilliant scenario, though sometimes a little frustrating in terms of functionality. I was always annoyed by the seemingly arbitrary functionality of corporations in BtS. You'll have no such issue in AoE2, thankfully
I use castles to make the respective faction establish military dominance.
This is a good system, because gaining control of all of the specific locations in of itself would be quite difficult, let alone defending them over time!
But one thing about wonders: They only grant a warning and visibility on standard victory, which means that a winning countdown would start after the very first one is completed, possibly contradicting the goal to build a higher amount.
Ugh, I completely spaced on this detail. The best course of action, then, is probably to disable all victory types except for winning through triggers, and then to give every player map revealers on the spots where the wonders must be built. Even without the notification, those large squares tend to stick out quite a bit on the minimap

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 06-25-15 10:57 AM CT (US)     29 / 108  
Yeah, an instructions display and map revealers should do the job.
posted 06-25-15 11:26 AM CT (US)     30 / 108  
Yeah, some sort of timer display, like periodic updates of "you have X time before player A's wonders give them victory!"

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-01-15 10:46 AM CT (US)     31 / 108  
Oh yeah this thread is a thing.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 07-01-15 11:05 AM CT (US)     32 / 108  
Indeed, start posting some teasers of your progress!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-09-15 10:40 AM CT (US)     33 / 108  
Can I request that you update the OP with the correct link to Black Forest Studios? We haven't used that old Webs site in eons, I don't even remember the login details, otherwise I'd of shut it down/made it redirect.

http://s13.zetaboards.com/BlackForestStudios/index/

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
posted 07-09-15 11:16 AM CT (US)     34 / 108  
Sure thing! Consider it done

EDIT: Additionally, if you guys have a suitable banner in a similar vein to the SWS banner that's in the bottom of the OP, I'd love to add it to the OP as well!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 07-09-2015 @ 11:17 AM).]

posted 07-09-15 05:03 PM CT (US)     35 / 108  
We have.. This?

But it's not the same dimensions as the SWS banner.

I have been asking on the forums for any new banners though, because we need one that fits the bar at the top of the site.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Galderton Hill RP - Project Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames