Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: [WIP] Red Sands - Multiplayer Scenario
posted 11-21-15 09:08 PM CT (US)   
So this is a multiplayer scenario I've been working on this weekend. It's for AoK HD, with both Forgotten Empires and African Kingdoms material present, and it was inspired by MP scenarios like "Mare Nostrum" and "Seas of Egressa".

The geography is loosely based on the Middle East, with areas of Northeast Africa, the Indian subcontinent, and Central Asia thrown into the mix. You have seven factions to choose from that differ in technology level, base setup, and resource level. However, each of their civilizations has a unique Hero unit that has fighting ability, but they cannot let that Hero die under any circumstances. Other than this basic "regicide" condition, players are free to determine their own path to victory, choosing which alliances they will forge (if any) and which factions they will choose to conquer.

Ellados (Portuguese)
Their town occupies an offshore island to the left side of the map, which has cliffs along the shoreline and copses of dragon trees. The Elladoi have abundant wood and food in their stockpile, but less stone and gold. They start off in the Castle Age.

Ashurya (Persians)
They have erected their city within the map's central desert, encircling an oasis. The Ashuryans have plenty of stone and gold, but less wood and food. Their starting Age is the Imperial Age.

Herabim (Saracens)
The Herabim open with only a few tents, an army of camels (including Mamelukes) and monks, villagers to gather resources, and a Feudal Age tech level. Their encampment is located among the sand dunes south of the Ashuryan city.

Xionghu (Mongols)
Like the Herabim, the Xionghu have a simple encampment and a Feudal Age technological start. But their army is dominated by cavalry such as Mangudai. Their starting point is the snowy steppes in the uppermost region of the map, cut off from the deserts further south by a range of mountains.

Hindya (Indians)
The Hindyans have built their city in the jungles to the map's upper right side. Starting off at an Imperial Age level of technology, they have a surplus of wood and gold in their stockpiles, but not so much stone.

Ekhaptu (Malians)
The ancient Ekhaptan civilization thrives alongside a savanna river in the lower area of the map (further up the river, the savanna gives way to jungle). They have an Imperial Age technological start, an abundance of gold and wood, and a relative paucity of wood in their stockpile.

Hasheba (Ethiopians)
On the opposite side of the jungles upriver of Ekhaptu stands the kingdom of Hasheba, in the map's lower right area. To the north is an oceanic gulf, teeming with fish, that separates Hasheba from the land of the Herabim and Hindyans. The Hashebans have plenty of stone and wood, but not so much food, and they start in the Castle Age like the Elladoi.

Screenshots (remember, this is a WIP)
Ekhaptu
Ellados
Herabim
Hindya

Any thoughts on what I have so far?
Replies:
posted 11-21-15 09:44 PM CT (US)     1 / 7  
It's cool to see another RP scenario in the works - I'm glad they're getting more and more popular as of late!

The best advice/feedback I can give on the screenshots is to a) use some more elevation and b) mix the terrain a little more (especially in the 3rd screenshot, which looks a bit bland as a flat expanse of a single terrain). Following those two pointers should go a long way.

Best of luck!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 11-22-15 03:55 AM CT (US)     2 / 7  
An rp with new civs sounds fun. I'd be sure to play it. Sam makes some good suggestions but watch out with the elevation. People should still be able to place enough buildings down.
posted 11-22-15 06:26 AM CT (US)     3 / 7  
Sounds cool, good luck!
posted 11-22-15 09:49 AM CT (US)     4 / 7  
Looks amazing! Love me some roleplay
posted 11-22-15 11:14 AM CT (US)     5 / 7  
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

But I appear to have hit a roadblock with the trigger system. I can't figure out how to make each player lose once their Hero unit gets killed, since there doesn't seem to be a "Declare Defeat" (as opposed to "Declare Victory") condition. Other than that, I have most of the map work done.

Let me show you what I have now:

Ellados
Ashurya
Herabim
Hindya
Ekhaptu (second view)
Asheba (or Hasheba)
Xionghu
posted 11-22-15 11:27 AM CT (US)     6 / 7  
Those screenshots look nice. There's noticeable improvement in some of the newer versions of the ones you first posted last night, so good work!
But I appear to have hit a roadblock with the trigger system. I can't figure out how to make each player lose once their Hero unit gets killed, since there doesn't seem to be a "Declare Defeat" (as opposed to "Declare Victory") condition. Other than that, I have most of the map work done.
In this situation, most people have tended to remove the player's assets when they lose their hero, but that's a bit of a crude solution. I know that in the UserPatch there's a box in the "declare victory" effect that allows you to change it to declare defeat for that player instead, but there is no such option in HD as of yet. I'll see if Skybox can enable it, though.

For now, you're probably best off having the death of a hero cause a morale penalty (loss of HP or attack of all of the player's existing troops). I'm doing that in the Galderton RP scenario, and Lord Basse did a similar thing in Mare Nostrum as well.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 12-01-15 10:40 AM CT (US)     7 / 7  
Just a few little remarks, other than this I really think it looks promising.

In your second screenshot of 'Ellados', the highest tower should be above the cliff IMO, not beneath. That placement would be more logical.

Your third screenshot of Herabim in the desert should have elevation. A desert is never plain.

Retired, old and senile.

Thread Destroyer of April 09 - Popeychops
I was jealous of your guitars at first. Now I'm jealous of your awesome room. Jerk. :(
And it's on a friggin towel? so you're WIPING YOURSELF DOWN WITH SEXY WOMEN AFTER SHOWERS?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER OF AWESOME DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? - Aro
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » [WIP] Red Sands - Multiplayer Scenario
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames