Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: [Project] The History of Russia
posted 11-28-15 08:27 AM CT (US)   

This is a project about the history of Russia which I have been working on it since about mid-2015 and feel that some of the scenarios are theoretically finished. The project, composed of three parts, will tell some of the most important events in the Russian history. There are currently four scenarions ready, another one is large so it will take some more time to have it finished.
The sixth one is in the queue as the new patch currently does not allow to add modded units. The first part will be about the Kievan Rus, i.e. the pre-Mongolian era.

I opened this thread so that I may receive some ideas or reviews. Since English is not my mother language some of the text may need orthographical corrections.

No actual spoilers, so I just add some screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/Bvxie

PROGRESS

PART I
fineng tbdрус Scenario I
fineng tbdрус Scenario II
fineng tbdрус Scenario III
fineng tbdрус Scenario IV
tbdeng tbdрус Scenario V
fineng tbdрус Scenario VI
tbdeng tbdрус Scenario VII
fineng tbdрус Scenario VIII
tbdeng tbdрус Scenario IX

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE

• Translating into Russian
  • Check grammar
  • Add Messages
  • Edit modded files
  • Create scenario instruction maps

SUMMARY

~~~Summoning of the Varangians~~~
    Summon the tribes to make start for a future empire!

~~~From the Varangians to the Greeks~~~
    Continue your journey and fulfill your father's wish to conquer Kiev!

~~~Crime and Punishment~~~
    Take revenge to the death of your husband by subduing the separatists!

~~~Battle for Justice~~~
    How an unjust trading policy turned into a large conflict.

~~~Never Say Die~~~
    Conquer Bulgaria on the way to Constantinople!

~~~Fair Sun~~~
    Free the Russian lands from usurpation and baptize your country!

~~~The Fratricide~~~
    Resist the Polish-Pecheneg union with an usurpator!

~~~Edinoborets~~~
    Are you able to carry on negotations with feud foes and at the same time resist nomad raids?

~~~The Departure~~~
    A new era begins with your departure to the future Vladimir principality and creating there a model for the future capital!

[This message has been edited by GranCalabaza (edited 01-08-2018 @ 03:53 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 11-28-15 09:31 AM CT (US)     1 / 17  
    Looks interesting. I've been studying the subject matter in university a bit lately, so I'm especially intrigued. Have you read any of the Russian Primary Chronicle, by any chance?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    posted 11-28-15 11:54 AM CT (US)     2 / 17  
    My scenarios are basically based on the Primary Chronicle, although I have never read it entirely. I have used other sources which use the Chronicles as the main source. Some memorable quotes were taken from this book.
    posted 11-28-15 12:48 PM CT (US)     3 / 17  
    Figured as much, seeing as (despite its faults) it's the principal written source on that region during that time period. It's a very nice read

You might also consider checking out De Administrando Imperio. It's a 10th century Byzantine source (and thus comes with its own faults and biases), but it has some good insight to offer and it's always nice to build your picture off of as many sources as possible. It also mentions some things that the Chronicle neglects to mention, so it might give you a few more ideas if you're looking for any

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    posted 12-01-15 05:23 PM CT (US)     4 / 17  
    Thanks, i will read it if i will have enough time. Will you be willing to play test some scenarios? I forgot to mention that those are my first serious scenarios, so any ideas may improve them.
    posted 12-02-15 12:42 PM CT (US)     5 / 17  
    I can probably do that in a couple weeks when I'm home for the holidays.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-13-15 07:17 AM CT (US)     6 / 17  
    Too bad Agamemmnon's Russian Mod is only for The Conquerors. I found the Forgotten Empires 3.1, which included the Russian Mod, however when I click on age2_x2.exe nothing happens, i can only open FixAoFE.exe. Anyone has the Conquerors so he can send me the separate files?

Nevermind, I will begin with the mod converting.

Here a screenshot featuring the modded units and buildings.
    http://imgur.com/8jXSVrx

Stable and mill were not modded as former was not available in AOC (there Mayans and Aztecs were Kievan and Muscovite Rus, respectively) and latter left out in Agamemmnon's mod. The only problem is the fact that Magyars use the same graphic set as the Slavs, so the changes were also made to the Magyars. But i will see what i can do about that. Besides, some shadows like the houses' are too harsh as opposed to the HD buildings. If it is distracting i could edit it.
    -----------------------------------
    As one of the designers of AOTF campaigns, can you tell how you begin and how do you copy the geography and paste it to the editor (or are you doing it from your mind or looking in a map?). This is not that easy for my campaigns where i am not sure where to start and what map size i should have. The rhombus map is also a bit irritating.

[This message has been edited by GranCalabaza (edited 01-07-2016 @ 10:32 AM).]

posted 02-24-16 02:47 PM CT (US)     7 / 17  
    In a historical scenario, I try to contextualize the historical premise and then pick out a region that wouldn't be too ambitious for a map in AoE2. When designing the Tariq ibn Ziyad campaign for AoAK, I did extensive research on the subject and then planned out 5 scenarios before even opening the editor, based on important events in the Umayyad conquest of Iberia. I then looked at a map and was able to more-or-less accurately depict various geographical features. You'll notice when looking at the maps that everything is in its proper place geographically, though a couple liberties were taken to improve the gameplay experience.

Extensive planning really pays off, though. If you jump into a scenario too quickly you can run into a lot of potential issues.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-25-16 06:48 AM CT (US)     8 / 17  
    The problem with this campaign was that it was my very first campaign, and i really did not know where to begin and made it in a hurry. For example it was an error to translate it so early, know when i make edits to one of the scenarios i should do the same with the other one. I began another campaign where i used a similar system as yours, and things are working much easier. Also i looked at other campaigns and found some good things. My approach was too perfectionist and overexaggerated, maybe a bit more variation and inventions would better the campaign. That's why i began playing AOE1 and the ES campaigns which had this simplicity.
    posted 02-25-16 10:18 AM CT (US)     9 / 17  
    No worries! Everyone's first few projects end up being more-or-less a learning experience. Just keep at it

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-29-16 03:31 AM CT (US)     10 / 17  
    By the way i am also working on an Iberia campaign. The topic is quite interesting but tricky due to lack of sources for the Middle Ages part of its history. I may do some scenarios for AOE 1 about Iberia, though )
    posted 02-29-16 10:46 AM CT (US)     11 / 17  
    What time period in particular?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-29-16 11:29 AM CT (US)     12 / 17  
    Probably beginning with the foundation of Tao-Klarjeti by Ashot I the Great (early 9th century) till the divide of the Kingdom of Georgia (1490) into three kingdoms.
    posted 02-29-16 01:31 PM CT (US)     13 / 17  
    Ah, that's an interesting topic. You initially threw me for a loop when you used the term Iberia (which is more commonly used to refer to modern-day Spain and Portugal but is also a denomination for the region below the Caucasus).

You might wish to consider focusing down on a more specific time period (at least to start), though. I'm not saying that it's impossible to create a campaign that spans six centuries, but you might find it a bit difficult to give each subject a proper amount of attention while remaining comprehensive. Your current scope is quite a bold undertaking!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 05-25-16 01:35 PM CT (US)     14 / 17  
    Agammemnon suddenly returned back and created a mod which I needed (and on which I was working, too) for one of my scenarios: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,44308,0,30. Now the work may be greatly reduced thanks to him
    posted 01-05-18 05:56 PM CT (US)     15 / 17  
    Unarchived.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    posted 01-06-18 03:48 PM CT (US)     16 / 17  
    This is quite an interesting topic, one that ive been investigating a bit recently. Im currently reading 'the emergence of rus' by jonathan shepard and also 'reimagining europe' by raffensperger. The primary chronicle mentioned above seems to be of prime importance to these books. Seems to be a somewhat dubious but necessary account for rus history. Perhaps ill have to read it as well to get a fuller picture.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 02-24-2018 @ 11:07 PM).]

posted 01-15-18 11:30 AM CT (US)     17 / 17  
    This is great, Cataphract. The Primary Chronicle was written by Christian monks in a Christian point of view who primarly tried to answer on the question "why is it happen", instead of "when is it happen" and "who were the people". So that is the reason why in the post-Medieval, humanistic era a few people understand this chronicle. Notwithstanding, the chronicle is based on old chronicles of different origin and the dates and most happenings are actually correct.

Perhaps we can work together on that project. We could exchange ideas among each other.
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » [Project] The History of Russia
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames