You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I'm looking for scenario designers...
posted 04-04-18 04:46 PM CT (US)   
Hello everyone!

As most of you may know, I'm Daniel, the main developer of the Portuguese Civ Mod.

I have been planning for some time to implement a custom themed campaign into my mod, but I myself am not a good (or creative) scenario designer, and none of those who currently help the development of PCM have scenario designing skills. So, I'm looking for people who would be able to help the mod out with scenario designing for the custom campaign!

Right now, this are the scenarios I'm planning to include:
1) Siege of Lisbon (1147)
2) Battle of Aljubarrota (1385)
3) Conquest of Ceuta (1415)
4) Battle of Diu (1509)
5) Conquest of Goa (1510)
6) Conquest of Malacca (1511)
7) [TBD]

The campaign itself is going to have a custom menu screen (which will likely receive changes soon) and also a custom slide screen (WIP).

If you are a good designer and you either enjoy Portuguese history or would like to help PCM out, just let me know

PS: I know most designers out there are busy with other projects and I don't plan to get all seven scenarios finished in a short timeframe, but to release them gradually throughout the PCM patches. So, if you can only help with only one scenario, just let me know. I would be really grateful already for that

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)

[This message has been edited by danielpereira (edited 04-05-2018 @ 01:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-04-18 05:07 PM CT (US)     1 / 12  
It's very tempting as it's a great mod, however I know for a fact we're about to have the Defend the Spot contest. Coincidentally, Battle of Aljubarrota fits neatly into the sphere of a DTS scenario, so perhaps you would consider trying your hand at this one? There's only one way to become good at scenario designing and that's to design! The video in the link also does all the research for you (or anyone else), and gives a visual map of the battlefield and its events.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 04-05-2018 @ 06:58 AM).]

posted 04-04-18 06:52 PM CT (US)     2 / 12  
Realisticly a 7 scenario long campaign would be a pretty epic undertaking requiring many months of work, so it seems unlikely to materialize. If you yourself have the work ethic, creativity and technical expertise to get a mod done I dont see why you couldnt make some decent scenarios yourself! Go for medium size or less and just focus on making a basic but fun scenario that is not overly-ambitious. Excessive ambition seems to be the achille's heel of just about everyone on the forum, including myself in the not-so-distant past

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 04-05-18 11:46 AM CT (US)     3 / 12  
Niiiiice, but I'm afraid I can't join this...although it seems amazing to the boner!
Can I ask Daniel if is there some documentation you made to convert to the palette and publish so neat background images? I always freak out with that!

~--------------------------~{±}~--------------------------~
¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤
o›> Project Thread: https://tinyurl.com/y93q84s9
~---------------------------~÷~---------------------------~
posted 04-05-18 12:26 PM CT (US)     4 / 12  
I believe the only person capable of creating something so large quickly is AOKH's second Scenario-making-machine Al_Kharn the Great
posted 04-05-18 12:32 PM CT (US)     5 / 12  
Then again there is Bassi who made Legend of the White King in under two months and released 4 campaigns in 2017 plus some scenarios on the side. Unprecedented productivity with high quality on each

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 04-05-18 12:51 PM CT (US)     6 / 12  
@Mash and Cataphract887: Well, I have tried to design real single player scenarios before, but, well, the end result wasn't very good at all, lol. Even though I can work with triggers pretty well, none of my attempts to come up with a really good scenario were particularly successful, lol.

Also, since this is supposed to be some sort of "Battles" campaign (like, in example, Battles of The Conquerors, but Portuguese history themed), I'm not looking for only one designer to do all of the seven scenarios since, as you pointed out, this would be basically impossible.

Regarding the campaign length: yes, I know that a 7 scenario campaign is, well, ambitious, and that's why I know that, even if I could enlist the help of more than one designer, it would never be possible to finish it in a short timeframe. Therefore, my plan isn't to release all seven scenarios in one single patch, but to gradually release them as the PCM development goes on So, if I could get some people to help me with one or two scenarios, I would be very really already

@Rico_jolla: You mean, for the campaign menu or for the slide background? If you mean the campaign menu, years ago, I and Jan/1302 worked on some sort of "documentation" for the interfac.drs and its files. If that's what you are interested in, just let me know

A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)

[This message has been edited by danielpereira (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:53 PM).]

posted 04-05-18 04:24 PM CT (US)     7 / 12  
Ah yes Bassi is also a talented and quick designer.

As great as I think it would be to create a campaign for the Mod I'm not the one to do it. I've spent that last 7 years working on one single scenario which I still haven't finished, even though I projected the finish date to be 2013!
posted 04-06-18 03:50 PM CT (US)     8 / 12  
@Danielpereira
Yes exactly that! I am pretty good at photoshop and rendering stuff but really I don't have the time to discover it alone. Thanks

~--------------------------~{±}~--------------------------~
¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤
o›> Project Thread: https://tinyurl.com/y93q84s9
~---------------------------~÷~---------------------------~
posted 04-06-18 08:52 PM CT (US)     9 / 12  
Well, I have tried to design real single player scenarios before, but, well, the end result wasn't very good at all, lol. Even though I can work with triggers pretty well, none of my attempts to come up with a really good scenario were particularly successful, lol.
One place I would recommend you to start is to play the campaign supplied with the Age of Chivalry if you haven't already. It contains several scenarios that each represent a historic event within the mod's time frame, but it is something which I think you are trying to do with this modpack. Nevertheless, you can really gauge Kor's improved design skills over the course of that campaign. His first scenario in that campaign, the Battle of Bouvines, showcases Kor at his infancy in scenario designing in what was a sufficiently entertaining yet very simple scenario. You can see his progress and improvement from there though as the scenarios gradually become better designed and more complex such as seen with the Siege of Neuss. The moral of the story, start with something simple and basic and build from there!
posted 04-28-18 10:09 AM CT (US)     10 / 12  
One place I would recommend you to start is to play the campaign supplied with the Age of Chivalry if you haven't already. It contains several scenarios that each represent a historic event within the mod's time frame, but it is something which I think you are trying to do with this modpack. Nevertheless, you can really gauge Kor's improved design skills over the course of that campaign. His first scenario in that campaign, the Battle of Bouvines, showcases Kor at his infancy in scenario designing in what was a sufficiently entertaining yet very simple scenario. You can see his progress and improvement from there though as the scenarios gradually become better designed and more complex such as seen with the Siege of Neuss. The moral of the story, start with something simple and basic and build from there!
Ehh, thanks for the compliment, but the scenarios in the AoCH campaign are not in the order in which I made them, and I had been designing scenarios for AoK (and some other games) for many many years before that. There's three reasons why some scenarios are more complex than others, and the most important one is that it's a lot easier to make a siege or long campaign scenario more interesting (although it will be a lot more time consuming for the designer) than a single battle scenario where you control the entire army. Personally I really dislike the Marko Crnigoj type of battle scenario, with all due respect to his skills - I think units with 1500 hps but still endowed with 10 attack hitting away at each other for twenty minutes is really boring and not dynamic, so I did not want to use that kind of thing in my pitched battle scenarios. Not doing that means that the pitched battles will be over relatively quickly (especially if you're staying broadly true to historical events). I tried to add a few extra features to them to make them more interesting, such as killing enemy commanders for morale boosts, but there's only so much you can do. So those scenarios - Bouvines and Kortrijk - are a lot shorter and less complex than the other scenarios in the campaign.

Another reason why they're like that is that I wanted players to enjoy a greater variety of scenarios. From very small scale tactical battles in the Friesland scenario, for instance, to the large scale battles with Bouvines and Kortrijk or the almost RPG-like The Exile. There was originally even a scenario where you were playing as a single foot soldier who blundered his way through the Lewes and Evesham campaigns, but it was pretty much impossible to balance (in a large pitched battle you could very easily stay back and avoid combat, and while that's realistic it wasn't really possible to penalise this kind of behaviour) and not very good, so it didn't make it in. I wanted the campaign to be more varied and for it to offer different things. Personally I really like siege scenarios (both attacking and defending), and that probably came through in Neuss, but I also really like the more varied maps, such as Prague and the Hundred Years War scenario.

The third reason was practical - I was making the campaign on my own and I wanted it to have a fair few scenarios, showcasing different factions, while also actually finishing it before release. Making a short battle scenario like that takes a lot less time, while completing it is still pretty satisfying. This was the only way in which I could finish a varied campaign at all.

I don't remember the order in which all these scenarios were made, but I think the Hundred Years War scenario - where you control one company in Brittany or Gascony (and originally also in Friesland) - was the oldest by far, started even before I had the idea of Age of Chivalry (it was going to be part of a campaign I was working on with Andrew), followed by The Exile (also started before AoCH, but not finished until much later). A lot of the scenarios were being worked on at the same time and were finished more or less simultaneously as well.
posted 04-30-18 08:50 PM CT (US)     11 / 12  
Hello Daniel!

As professed in the other thread, I'd be interested in helping with this project. I had lost a bunch of my old work on my old PC and have been out of action for a few months. However I saw your post and am a big fan of your mod (5th age OMG) so i'd love to help.

I'd like to have a go at the siege of Lisbon scenario, it'll take me a few weeks but I'll begin work and keep you posted

EDIT: Hi Daniel, I've actually run into something of a problem with the editor. When I switch to Gaia and select units and assets from the "Others" tab, a lot of the gaia assets don't show up. It's almost like the game is recognizing the Gaia player as a regular player and doesn't let me place things like statues, individual trees, gold mines etc. Unfortunately restarting the game doesn't help, it's like the scenario is corrupted, has anyone else encountered this (or am I being a silly bitch and missing something :S)

[This message has been edited by SaintCurious (edited 05-02-2018 @ 01:07 AM).]

posted 05-10-18 06:48 PM CT (US)     12 / 12  
@SaintCurious: Hey!

Sorry for taking too long to answer you! I have been busy lately and I only actually saw your post now.

Thanks for your interest, but, sadly, the latest PCM patch is indeed bugged :/ I hope I'll be able to release a patch this week to fix that and some other issues.

Sorry for the trouble!

PS: The patch I released today uses the newest UP 1.5 update and that should fix the issues you have been experiencing. If it does not, please let me know!

[This message has been edited by danielpereira (edited 05-21-2018 @ 10:48 AM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » I'm looking for scenario designers...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames