Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Fall of Hummaria [Project]
posted 07-13-18 04:52 AM CT (US)   

TEASER (v2.0) AVALIABLE HERE

DESCRIPTION:

The Fall of Hummaria is a hugely ambitious scenario - one with a story telling-centered gameplay, allowing you to play as the both sides of the revolution of a conflicted country, always staying very far away from the "good v. evil" formula. Fancy indoors scenes, epic battles, stealth sections, carefully crafted cutscenes, unique gameplay mechanics and much more will await for you!
This is, by miles away, my most personal and ambitious project to date.
(Link to the old thread)

STORY:

Chapter One

Once upon a time there was a powerful and rich kingdom called Hummaria. It prospered until one day its king fell ill and perished. Without an heir, the royal house disappeared and a rich nobleman was elected king.

The new king - William Morgan - quickly turned out to be a terrible ruler, desiring only wealth and his own pleasure.
Any sign of disobedience from the country's citizens was dealt with harshly. The years went by and the population grew ever more dissatisfied with its ruler. At age sixty the king was found dead, leaving the throne to his son Elliard.

Though completely different from his father, Elliard was perceived to be just as bad by the people of Hummaria. At the very first day of his reign a rebellion broke out. Despite various attempts by the king to resolve the situation in a peaceful manner, no progress was achieved this way.

There were not many options left for Elliard, but he eventually decided on probably the worst of them: repression. He followed in his father's footsteps, killing all rebels. Women and children included.

It was of no use. If anything, it only served to further anger the population. Yet Elliard had already gone to far to halt his repression.

The rebels' numbers increased over time as many of Hummaria's citizens chose to join the resistance. It did not take long for them to fight the guards. Soon the rebels outnumbered the Hummarian army and the guards stopped following Elliard's orders.

The king was facing a cliff... His own men against him, he was left with only the most loyal of his servants. In a final struggle to defend the kingdom they were unable to hold back the rebels. Elliard has no other option but to await his fate.

Chapter Two

After the fall of his beloved country and the death of his superior: Elliard; general Dafar is marching away with his troops, unable to return to his own home.

He still remember the old days, when there was still a tiny fleck hope...
Now, after seeing the lack of respect and utter ignorance of Hummarian people, he decided to avenge the undeserved death of Elliard, once in for all.

Living in a small and abandoned ghost town, with only a few injured soldiers in his command, he decided to counter attack those responsible for such act of blindness: the rabble of Hummaria.

After gathering as many volunteers and mercenaries as he could, he is going to payback the years of suffering and disorder that Elliard has been obligued to face.

CHARACTERS:

Black = Main characters
Gray = Secondary characters

• Elliard - The sucessor of the throne. People tend to think that he is nothing more but a shadow of his father. However, those two had little to nothing in common about themselves.

• Amber - One of the most loyal servants of the crown. He firmly believes that Elliard will manage to restore the order to the country of Hummaria in a peaceful manner.

• Dafar - Elliard's closest friend, and the most important officer of the kingdom.

• Lothar - Second hummarian general, holding roughly the same military power and political influence as Dafar. He's had been pointed by the newly crowned King Elliard's father, William Morgan, to join the royality decades ago... A true veteran of the royal army and cunning war mind whose motivations always seem to be quite unclear.

• Aspen - An ordinary young man who used to live in the humble village of Whistelan, who would soon become the new face of the revolution, along with his brother: Jordan.

• Joe Lemon - A greedy dock keeper who also lives in the village of Winsthelan - and ends up earning a lot of money at your cost.

• Ford Haveron - Colonel of the New Resistance. An unconventional and highly capable officer who's quickly climbed through the ranks shortly after the day of the New Dawn.

• Jack Connor - Captain of the front line of Hummaria's royal army. He is pretty well known for being exceptionally skilled with his bow and arrow.

• Ben Ethan - The mysterious man who's attempted to murder Elliard right after his speech... The identity of his master is still completely unknown.

• David Owen - Commander of the Old Resistance, and now general of the New Resistance... And Thyler's closest friend.

• Thyler - The general of the Old Resistance... Or at least he was, before getting his chest pierced by an arrow coming from one of the notorious mounted archers of the royal army in the battle of the fort of Brigedan.

• Catherine - The infamous queen of Hummaria. She disappears from the fortress of Wallingstone during an unforgivingly cold night, after seeing his new course of actions - and realizing that he's not even half the man who she used to love a few years ago.

• Isabella - The adopted young daughter of a siege engineer who is currently living in the northeastern rebel war camp, commanded by David Owen.

FEATURES:

• A huge, huge RPG with never-seen-before mechanics and gameplay sections.
  • Plenty of eye-candy: New type of fences, new type of indoor cut-scenes, new type of harbors and much more!
  • A unique spin on a - on paper - cliche story.
  • You will play as both sides of the revolution, reliving the bloody and hard fought civil revolution of Hummaria - from beginning to end.
  • A carefully crafted map, with enormous towns, war camps, lush forests and war torn lands.
  • High quality and atmospheric soundtrack.
  • Skippable cut-scenes (via taunts).
  • Tons of sidequests and optional activities.
  • Much more to be done yet!

PROGRESS:

First Instalment

0 - TEASER - The Past Remainder
    Triggers - 100%
    Scenario - 100%
    Script - 100%
    Sounds - 100%
    Status - Complete!

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

1 - SCENARIO - The Reckless Hatred
    Triggers - 73% (1877/2300-2800)
    Scenario - 85% (View the map print here)
    Script - 150%
    Sounds - 30%
    Status - Currently working on a big cutscene related to the arrival of Jordan and Aspen to the Northeastern Rebel War Camp commanded by General David Owen... (getting closer to the end of it, at last).
    UNDER WORK RIGHT NOW

Second Instalment

1 - CINEMATIC
    Triggers - 0%
    Scenario - 0%
    Script - 55%
    Sounds - 10%
    Status - An epilogue to the previous scenario, serving mainly (but not exclusively) as a potrayal of the aftermath of The Reckless Hatred's events. Saved some of the major reveals and the addressment/introduction of various important character story lines (eg. the vanishment of Catherine Morgan; the past of the former prince Elliard & the backstory of General Lothar) for this one... I'm 90% sure I'll be designing this cinematic somewhere in the future.
    NOT STARTED YET

2 - SCENARIO
    Triggers - 0%
    Scenario - 0%
    Script - 30%
    Sounds - 10%
    Status - Maaaaay get done in a far away future. This scenario will tie up many of the plot points and character arcs set up by the previous epilogue (AND some of the ones from The Reckless Hatred as well) in a not so nice bow. Probably gonna feature multiple endings (as it's the final chapter of the series).
    NOT STARTED YET

SCREENSHOTS:

• Elliard's Speech
  • Village of Winsthelan[1]
  • Village of Winsthelan[2]
  • The Palace of Hummenstown
  • The Attempt
  • Visiting Hummenstown
  • Fort of Brigedan[1]
  • Fort of Brigedan[2]
  • The New Dawn[1]
  • The New Dawn[2]
  • Rogue Hideout
  • The Agreement
  • Fortress of Wallingstone
  • The Royal Army
  • The Lockdown

PLAYTESTING (OUTDATED):

Gray = Might be avaliable
    Black = (Avaliable, or with much chances)

• king leorick
  • TeutonicLongbow
  • Reganknight

More volunteers would be really appreciated

If you've liked/disliked the concept so far, please leave your comment down below

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 08-28-2018 @ 08:19 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 07-13-18 04:57 AM CT (US)     1 / 16  
    Yeah, it's back! Got lots of cool ideas for the final scenes and battle, and fixed a lot of stuff.
    Also, I finally discovered what was causing the game to crash so much... Gates (yes, gates).
    They just keep multiplying themselves (spamming overlapped gate objects) whenever I test or save the scenario. I really don't know how to stop that from happening - does anybody knows? - but at least I can delete the spam before releasing the scenario - so it won't crash in the .cpx version.
    nvm fixed this issue

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
    Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
    My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-14-2018 @ 08:42 AM).]

posted 07-13-18 06:51 AM CT (US)     2 / 16  
    You're on a design spree I see. Keep it up!

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
    posted 07-13-18 08:10 AM CT (US)     3 / 16  
    posted 07-13-18 12:41 PM CT (US)     4 / 16  
    Thanks for the good words, guys!
    You're on a design spree I see.
    Pretty much
    This is gonna be my last work (probably?), though

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-13-2018 @ 12:45 PM).]

posted 07-14-18 06:38 AM CT (US)     5 / 16  
    I'm sorry to bother, once again. But do any of you know if it's possible to, like, make a - for example - scorpion explode as soon as it tries to shoot its projectile? If possible, also doing damage to nearby units... Using the new UP effects, of course.

I'm asking this because I'm about to make a scene in which the 'enemy' tries to utilize their - sabotaged - siege machinery in order to destroy a rebel war camp. But, obviously, it doesn't works quite well in their favor.

The only way I've pictured in my head of doing this would be to change their projectiles (via "up-attribute") into hawks (and different explosible objects for each other one - such as macaws, CASTF, etc) and then, through triggers, kill both the scorpion and the said object.

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-14-2018 @ 08:30 AM).]

posted 07-14-18 06:51 AM CT (US)     6 / 16  
    Make the scorpion a petard somehow? Just using some upgrade triggers probably wouldnt work, so maybe you would have to get into giving the scorpion the petards self destructing attack effect which is way over my head to implement to be honest

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 07-14-2018 @ 06:54 AM).]

posted 07-14-18 08:04 AM CT (US)     7 / 16  
    Thanks for the idea. However I suppose it would be, in fact, absurdly complicated to do it in such way
    The "dealing damage to nearby enemies" thing isn't all that important tbh. I just need to create an explosion over the units' location - right when it's trying to attack an enemy. Then the rest I can do via normal triggers.

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-14-2018 @ 09:32 AM).]

posted 07-15-18 03:34 AM CT (US)     8 / 16  
    Oh nvm, it's actually possible to do that (and surprisingly easy as well). However, (I guess?) it's impossible to, like, stack up multiple objects 'dropped' after death. If I, for example, change the dead_scorpion's into "rubble 2x2" or something, it's gonna look pretty weird, since it won't show the animation of the scorpion actually breaking :s
    "Add" effect apparently doesn't works in this kind of situation - only "Set" is working.
    EDIT: Is there any object in AOK that explodes the moment it's created? Some death animation or such? Cause this would be really useful, since if I change the scorp_dead into a petard or something, his explosion (through triggers) gets a 1s delay for some reason - that way looking pretty weird as well.

EDIT2: Found a way to work around it
    (By setting the DEAD_UNIT - via up-effect - HP to 0, so he will spawn and die instantly). Now things are getting started

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-16-2018 @ 04:30 AM).]

posted 07-16-18 08:16 PM CT (US)     9 / 16  

A little bit of the rebel's war encampment I'm working on
    EDIT: Updated.
    Jesus, this is taking way too long to design
    EDIT2: Map screenshot (this one) updated.

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-24-2018 @ 04:45 AM).]

posted 07-24-18 04:16 AM CT (US)     10 / 16  

Northeastern Rebel Camp ~ David Owen's headquarters

Cutscenes and more cutscenes...

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 07-24-2018 @ 04:17 AM).]

posted 08-12-18 01:15 AM CT (US)     11 / 16  
    All screenshots and character/instalments descriptions updated (over the respective section of the thread)!
    Going slow but steady
    OBS: Don't mind the old dialogues, they'll be rewritten later on

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 08-12-2018 @ 11:00 AM).]

posted 08-12-18 05:22 AM CT (US)     12 / 16  
    Were you aware that David Owen was/is the name of a well known British politician?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    posted 08-12-18 10:39 AM CT (US)     13 / 16  
    Actually I wasn't.
    It was just a name I pieced togheter through an european name generator lmao

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 08-12-2018 @ 10:40 AM).]

posted 10-12-18 11:36 AM CT (US)     14 / 16  
    Update (also to not end up locking this thread for the 2nd time): Due to some quite annoying health problems and having to study a lot more for college, I'm putting this project on a hiatus once again (oh, whata surprise).
    Decent progress for both the map and the script though (the later is basically complete, including fixes for 99% of my previous overlooks/lack of imagination). The only thing missing is the patience to design the remaining crammed-with-tons-of-objects-style locations ... and triggers for the last gameplay sections and stuff. Probably gonna go back to it as soon as I get better (which should be in a few months from now, hopefully).

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 10-12-2018 @ 11:39 AM).]

posted 10-13-18 00:18 AM CT (US)     15 / 16  
    Hope all is better for you soon, rewaider!
    posted 10-14-18 11:47 AM CT (US)     16 / 16  
    Thanks, scripter64!

Can't wait to finally make these countless hours of work actually worth of something

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 10-14-2018 @ 11:49 AM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Fall of Hummaria [Project]
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames