You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Matt's super awesome totally free total rock system (AKA the last 102 rocks you will ever need)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-05-15 00:17 AM CT (US)   
This is Matt's life story in his own words. Yes, third person. Shut up and read it, there's a free gift at the end and the least you can do is indulge my narcissism to get it.

Matt was pretty obsessed with modding rocks for some strange reason. The problem with AoK rocks isn't that there is only 6 shapes (Though one of them is the Abominable Rock Rotation - a single careless placement of it can turn a 5 worthy map into at best a 3), it's that they don't fit every map and terrain. Worse, there are so many times you need a rock that isn't the size of Pluto, but the only options are the stone mines, which leave ugly outlines, and the pile of stone, which does not maintain its rotation. Oh what was Matt to do?

To solve this, he did what every slightly neurotic modding enthusiast would naturally do. He created new rock graphics. He kept making new rock graphics. And along the way, he found there were people who wanted rock graphics and understood his passion - namely, the primal need for MOAR rocks. Some people asked for them and he freely gave them, and others stole them without asking, and in turn others stole from them, until at last Matt's rocks were popping up in mods he didn't even know existed. He had started something he couldn't control, and he was fine with that. It was too big a need to be petty over.

Matt started making terrible copy and paste rocks, then okay ones, then better 3d modelled ones, and then 3d modelled ones touched up in Photoshop. He created dozens and dozens of rocks, but it wasn't enough. They were still all just different shapes. Every time he went to make a scenario, he needed rocks on snow. Only two sea rocks? What was that, some cruel ES joke? To make him repeat the same two rocks up and down his coast line like some god of creation who had dementia? Where were the desert rocks? The jungle rocks? The gods saw fit only to mock him, for after years of suffering a new official expansion was released, adding only some vaguely rock shaped piles of manure, a fate worse than death. It is said this is why Matt still does not own a copy of said 'expansion', which clearly did not expand on the only thing that anyone who mattered cared about.

It has never been confirmed, but many theorize that the total lack of rocks was the sole reason Matt never produced a single scenario worth downloading. Some less informed called him lazy, some simple minded questioned his attention span. But the truly connected knew. It was the rocks which held him back. Damn those homogeneously grey limestone beasts.

But Matt is the hero of this story (a truly likable leading man), and where others were content with there 5+1 rotations of rocks, he never would be. He sought a better world.

Today that world has come...

I present to you the last 102 rock rotations you will ever need (until this weekend when I probably post another three dozen or so):

For the truly brave ones who read my 1:00am stream of egotistical consciousness, this system of rocks is perfectly free. Use them for your mods, your scenarios, your erotica collection (wait what?). I merely request you throw a line in your credits my way, though truly that isn't even necessary. I made these so you all may weep no more.

I plan to make slp's of them in manageable groups and upload this as a file to our blacksmith. If you can wait for me to get around to that it will likely save you some work. I'd also greatly appreciate a review or comment if you feel truly moved by this bouldery bonanza.

Have fun with them.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 08-05-2015 @ 08:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-05-15 00:49 AM CT (US)     1 / 57  
This is quite possibly the greatest thread ever. I was in tears, laughing so hard I could barely compose myself to post a reply

That's a truly impressive collection of rocks. Expect a review once the file is uploaded
(Though one of them is the Abominable Rock Rotation - a single careless placement of it can turn a 5 worthy map into at best a 3)
We had best add this to the new review guidelines

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 08-05-15 01:14 AM CT (US)     2 / 57  
very good collection of rocks and may we all see more terrains added to the scenario editor! this is how the game should be! what about small dunes and other desert features? can you also make a collection? see blitzkrieg 2 which has these type of features!
posted 08-05-15 07:43 AM CT (US)     3 / 57  
I'll quote myself:
It seems that every time I add some of your rocks to Age of Chivalry, you make new, far better ones. Clearly this strategy is paying off.
Excellent work, Matt, and a hilarious description! Who was it again that said comedy and AoK don't go well together?

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 08-05-15 08:17 AM CT (US)     4 / 57  
Nice work you have done Matt!

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
posted 08-05-15 08:31 AM CT (US)     5 / 57  
The last image has some weird colours going on. It's possible the palette got a little distorted. I'll redo that image when I get home.

I can't speak to my level of sobriety when I wrote this topic post.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 08-05-15 08:41 AM CT (US)     6 / 57  
This. I want it. Give it to me.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 08-05-15 08:47 AM CT (US)     7 / 57  
Matt you rock!! literally
I was looking for new sea rocks and now found them now need to decide which ones to use.
posted 08-05-15 05:27 PM CT (US)     8 / 57  
Great work! Both the rocks and this thread.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 08-05-2015 @ 05:29 PM).]

posted 08-05-15 05:38 PM CT (US)     9 / 57  
Get your rocks off!

Really, though, great rocks.
posted 08-05-15 08:11 PM CT (US)     10 / 57  
Thanks all. The last image was updated to not be so distorted and discoloured now.

posted 08-06-15 03:42 AM CT (US)     11 / 57  
Good job! But the important part is, when do we get better grass/flowers eye-candy? Also, would be interesting, if Leaves could be actually used as an object and placed on top of other things.
posted 08-06-15 07:17 AM CT (US)     12 / 57  
I plan to do similar sets to this for bushes, terrain patches (grass, flowers, ice, leaves), and mountains.

posted 08-06-15 07:53 AM CT (US)     13 / 57  
If I ever get back into scenario designing, all of these are going straight into the drs file. Great work, Matt!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 08-06-2015 @ 07:54 AM).]

posted 08-06-15 10:20 AM CT (US)     14 / 57  
I plan to do similar sets to this for bushes, terrain patches (grass, flowers, ice, leaves), and mountains.
Dont suppose you can do new sets of trees of the original?I've always wanted a mod with everything replaced with new things.
posted 08-06-15 10:26 AM CT (US)     15 / 57  
I already have pines and snow pines and desert palms for ToME. I could probably do all the trees too.

posted 08-06-15 10:53 AM CT (US)     16 / 57  
yes, matt but i do not expect your trees to be small, but to have instead a human related realistical size! bigger trees!
posted 08-06-15 10:54 AM CT (US)     17 / 57  
Dont forget the stand alone trees.
posted 08-06-15 12:53 PM CT (US)     18 / 57  
He's lost it! Good rocks, though.

Eh, Steve!
posted 08-06-15 02:01 PM CT (US)     19 / 57  
This thread rocks.

I particularly like the sea rocks you've done..

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
posted 08-06-15 04:12 PM CT (US)     20 / 57  
posted 08-06-15 06:40 PM CT (US)     21 / 57  
I almost don't have the heart to do this with mountains, because it's so much harder for you guys to make puns with the word mountain.

For the mountains, I am thinking 4 shapes, with desert, grass, snow, ice, and rocky flavours. So, just twenty.

EDIT: To clarify, this is the first step in a nature mod, which will hopefully provide the designer with as many options as he would ever need. I don't want to remove anything, the goal is to create graphics which fit the game as best I can, and make a sort of super editor.

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 08-06-2015 @ 06:43 PM).]

posted 08-06-15 07:02 PM CT (US)     22 / 57  
Coming up with enough mountain puns to rival the rock puns would be an... InsurMOUNTable task.

[This message has been edited by Tzontlimixtli (edited 08-06-2015 @ 07:02 PM).]

posted 08-06-15 07:05 PM CT (US)     23 / 57  
I should never have questioned your abilities.

posted 08-06-15 08:24 PM CT (US)     24 / 57  
Great rocks. I'll say that I would be looking forward to mountains even more. That'd be the peak for me.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 08-07-15 01:49 AM CT (US)     25 / 57  
That'd be quite a task Matt, and with such a motivation, would you ever rest?

Back to the rocks though, they really are gorgeous. I was absolutely stoned when I first saw them.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel

[This message has been edited by Defibrilator (edited 08-07-2015 @ 01:59 AM).]

posted 08-07-15 02:27 AM CT (US)     26 / 57  
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!
posted 08-07-15 08:10 AM CT (US)     27 / 57  
I laughed so hard at this thread. Those are great rocks, Matt! I'm glad the rest of us can benefit from your obsession.

It takes an elevated sense of humor to make mountain puns. In fact, they may just be the pinnacle of comedic ability.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."-Jim Elliot
posted 08-07-15 08:28 AM CT (US)     28 / 57  
comedic ability? you have not seen all of it...wait and see, deer joan!
also regarding the the mountains i would rather large mountain top cliffs or a mountain rock than whole mountain depicted at smaller scale, so it could blend easier and could maybe used as a gorge to the forge!
posted 08-07-15 01:41 PM CT (US)     29 / 57  
also regarding the the mountains i would rather large mountain top cliffs or a mountain rock than whole mountain depicted at smaller scale, so it could blend easier and could maybe used as a gorge to the forge!
I understand the thinking (maybe) but not how you think that should be implemented. Want to expand on that for me?

posted 08-07-15 02:41 PM CT (US)     30 / 57  
well, yes, i believe the actuall mountain top is actually a rock, a part of the mountain and it should blend on the limits well with cliffs, but also with elevation. another representation would be to represent it as some sort of a gorge side, but one will lose the possibility of placing units direct over the cliff side, but if the gorge side is somehow represented as a larger cliff than one could place trustfully soldiers on the gorge side...hmmm
posted 08-08-15 03:59 PM CT (US)     31 / 57  
Does that mean I can make bridges now?

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 08-08-2015 @ 04:07 PM).]

posted 08-08-15 04:29 PM CT (US)     32 / 57  
I don't really know what DJeronimo is saying, but I think it would be great if you came up with some mountain graphics that blended in with cliffs and looked like an (upwards) extension of them. I don't know how feasible it is to do that, bearing in mind the difficulty of making graphics that blend in seamlessly with the originals.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 08-08-15 04:57 PM CT (US)     33 / 57  
I think he's saying pretty much the same thing as you, just a little lost in translation.
posted 08-08-15 05:31 PM CT (US)     34 / 57  
indeeeeed, kind sir!
posted 08-09-15 00:17 AM CT (US)     35 / 57  
If I did that I might use a new set of cliffs. AoK cliffs are pretty ugly.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Matt's super awesome totally free total rock system (AKA the last 102 rocks you will ever need)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames