Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Genie Converter utility
posted 11-07-15 09:24 PM CT (US)   

Blacksmith Link

Genie converter is a user interface I put together for a collection of useful command line programs. It can manipulate AoK resources in a variety of ways, including:

• Installing AKX and AKS files
• Converting AKX/AKS files to an HD mod
• Extracting slp, wav, and bin resources from AKX files or HD mods
• Extracting modded resources from a drs file
• Comparing a set of language dlls to a reference and extracting the differences to an ini or text file
• Compressing resources into GCM files, which can be installed or decompiled with Genie Converter

AoK: Realms
Adds Armenians, Balts, Bamars, Bohemians, Bulgars, Burgundians, Chimus, Dutch, Helvetians, Jurchens, Khmers, Malays, Mandinkas, Moors, Muisca, Tamils, Tufans, Turcomans, and Viets

Proteus and Genie Converter - AKX installers for modern times
Replies:
posted 11-07-15 09:57 PM CT (US)     1 / 14  
Seems like an excellent tool, especially given the increasing difference between CD and HD filetypes

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 11-09-15 05:22 PM CT (US)     2 / 14  
Nice one Vardamir, that could turn out pretty useful, saving us from doing all the changes manually.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 11-10-15 07:17 AM CT (US)     3 / 14  
This is fantastic. I'm a bit busy these days but I want to test this out thoroughly and give it a review. This could be the official tool we link all visitors to who want to use AKX files. The blacksmith is full of good quality mods that are increasingly difficult to use.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 11-10-15 08:32 AM CT (US)     4 / 14  
In the last few years so many tools have been made for this game that it is amazing.

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.
posted 11-10-15 10:56 AM CT (US)     5 / 14  
Excellent. It took me forever to figure out how to deal with .akx mods with a Windows 7 or later computer, and it's still enough work that I dread doing it. (7zip has been my method of doing it). I am so excited for this!
posted 11-13-15 11:41 AM CT (US)     6 / 14  
I also used 7zip and a batch renamer to change the extensions in the past, but this seems a much better option to handle those old MPS files.
posted 11-13-15 08:32 PM CT (US)     7 / 14  
It was about time for someone to make a too like this one!

Nice work you have done, Vardamir!

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
posted 11-13-15 09:48 PM CT (US)     8 / 14  
Thanks, all!

Does anyone know how mps extensions work? I have the most important types figured out, but some can only be worked with as bin at the moment. I know in akx files:

00 is slp
01 is pal
02 is wav
04 is rms
05 is per

03 is presumably something (scx?), but I haven't run into any akx files that use it.

Aks uses extensionless files for slps, but I don't know about any other types.

Adds Armenians, Balts, Bamars, Bohemians, Bulgars, Burgundians, Chimus, Dutch, Helvetians, Jurchens, Khmers, Malays, Mandinkas, Moors, Muisca, Tamils, Tufans, Turcomans, and Viets

[This message has been edited by Vardamir (edited 11-13-2015 @ 09:50 PM).]

posted 01-09-16 12:05 PM CT (US)     9 / 14  
So, I've been expanding the structure of GCM files quite a bit:

All installable to the CD version, HD Edition, or to a specified (or new) Userpatch (or Voobly) mod. Unless you use the Metadata section to limit that.

The new update isn't quite ready yet, but additions or changes can be made now without worrying about backwards compatibility, so now would be the best time for feedback. "Sounds" refers to Scenario, not Stream, by the way.

Also, a note to any modders who release slps to the Blacksmith: Genie Converter 2.0 can install a folder containing a set of slp files, as long as they are named things like 438 or gra03467 rather than New WE Castle.

posted 01-15-16 07:53 PM CT (US)     10 / 14  
2.1 is on the Blacksmith.

Changelog:

Addition of GCM Creator Tab, which allows editing and finer control of GCM archives
GCM structure expanded to include scenarios, campaigns, data files, sounds, ai, random maps, language files, XML files, a separate folder for DLC icons, a Readme, file dependencies, and a version number.
Inputs can be applied to Userpatch and Voobly Mods
Any dll can be recognized by the Language conversion process
Added a Links menu with links to 1.0c [EN-US], UP, Genie Converter download and forum page
Check Install Paths reports the presence of Userpatch and Voobly
Old changes can be overwritten when Add to Existing and Fresh Build are both active
Output is not always drsbuild format when extracting from a DRS file without a reference
Input Directory is no longer an advanced option
Added support for HD filenames extension
Can read files with bina extension
Text files are added to HD mods in the correct path
Added a warning when selecting the desktop as an input directory
Ini outputs are named language rather than modded_strings

posted 01-16-16 01:38 PM CT (US)     11 / 14  
this is a useful tool thanks, my brother use it especially to pack the gamedata_x1_p1.drs file,
before it was always a pain in the ass to rename the slp files to match with the original ones.
posted 11-22-17 08:02 AM CT (US)     12 / 14  
can you explain step by step how to extract all modded slp/wav/.bin files from say, the graphics.drs, terrain.drs, interfac.drs and put them into one gamedata_x1_p1.drs.

Honestly, i'm reading the readme and I still have no clue.
posted 11-22-17 12:53 PM CT (US)     13 / 14  
You'll need to enable Advanced Options under Settings before some of the relevant fields are visible:

1. Set the reference DRS to an unmodified copy of the drs you'd like to extract from.

2. Ensure the Output Format is set to CD files

3. Uncheck Install conversions.

4. Click the Convert Input File... button, then select the modified drs.

5. Wait for the assorted popups to finish, then ensure the Add to existing output is checked

6. Set the reference to the next drs you'd like to extract from

7. Click the Convert Input File... button, then select the modified drs.

8. Repeat 6 and 7 for any more drs files that have been modified.

Once you're finished there will be a gamedata_x1_p1 in the Genie Converter directory with all modified files added to it.

posted 11-22-17 12:59 PM CT (US)     14 / 14  
Ah ok thank you...perfect.

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 11-22-2017 @ 01:08 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Genie Converter utility
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames