You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Steam Workshop and other sites: Mod re-uploads.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 06-21-16 04:58 PM CT (US)   
Dear community,

The Steam Workshop has made it easier than ever to share modifications and scenarios. This comfort however does come at a price. Recently we have noticed a number of cases where users uploaded works without specific consent of the original author.
Though Steam gives us the option to report such files, we have yet to see the actual removal of said files. Which is where you, the community, come in.

What we want you to do is to report any files of which it is clear that the uploader was not the original author or was not given permission to share the files. Additionally, it would be great if you would post links to files you suspect are cases of plagiarism. We hope that a mass-reporting of plagiarized files will lead to a faster response of Steam Support.

Please encourage other users to refrain from uploading files they did not create. If you feel that a certain excellent file from the Blacksmith is missing in the Steam Workshop, please alert a moderator and we will deal with it.

On behalf of the Age of Kings Moderation Team,

Dead_End
When the Steam Workshop was introduced to AoE2 HD, we saw quite a few scenarios being re-uploaded there without the authors' consent, which prompted the creation of this thread in the Scenario Design & Modding forum. When the forums got split, it remained in the scenario design forum. After stumbling upon a new heap of re-uploaded graphics on the Steam Workshop, we decided that it would be for the best to create a new thread in the modding forum, too.

What Dead_End wrote still applies, but Steam has shown to be very reluctant to take down uploads unless the creator files a DMCA takedown request using the report function. Hence, if you see any of your files being uploaded without your permission, be it when you see it on the Steam Workshop or by a post in this thread, be aware that only you as the creator can reliably ensure that the file gets taken down.

We do not have much experience with other sites such as moddb.com, but please also report re-uploads of files from the AoKH blacksmith, both here in this thread and on their site - unless it is the original creators uploading it themselves, of course.

If you are not sure if the uploader has permission or might even be the creator, it's better to ask in here first.

Mods uploaded by creators (at Moddb):
Age of Chivalry - Hegemony by Kor
Tales of Middle Earth by ToME team
Age of Vampires and Varangians and Bolgars by Khan Ivayl
Portuguese Civ Mod 2 by danielpereira
AoK: Realms by Vardamir
Rome at War by Wildfire Games
Crusades by Chruchil

Most likely uploaded without permission:
Pretty much anything this person uploaded (Please check if there is any of your work!)
Replies:
posted 06-21-16 05:01 PM CT (US)     1 / 104  
As reported by gag2000:
"Euron Naharis" uploaded (by now) 62 AoK-related items to the Steam Workshop, most of which are graphical mods - most likely without having asked the original creators first.

Please check if you find any of your work there, and act as you see fitting.

People that definitely have work of theirs uploaded by this guy include Dave3377, Mahazona, Kor, ToME Team, but also many others.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 06-21-2016 @ 05:01 PM).]

posted 06-22-16 03:24 AM CT (US)     2 / 104  
If the manager/moderator wishes to talk with me about this over call, be it Skype or whatnot please message me at Caenarvontank@gmail.com.

I have no ill will to anyone at Heaven Games and have not taken anything here claiming for it to be my own, I also have uploaded mods which have been made known as free to use by the author's. Any disagreement I will not argue in this thread.

Have a nice day.
posted 06-22-16 10:22 AM CT (US)     3 / 104  
You cant just take out stuff from mods and upload else where you need to ask first.

I doubt anyone would want to discuss this matter with you in person,we all do this for fun and would appriciate if people ask before uploading our work on other sites so many more can enjoy them.
posted 06-23-16 09:43 AM CT (US)     4 / 104  
Hello ENaharis.

It's a good move of you to come here and be open for discussion.

We appreciate that you link the files and credit the authors, but it's still quite bad manners not to ask for permission first. Stating that usage in mods is allowed does not necessarily mean that simple re-uploads are.

People like "Enkeli" (who stole work, uploaded it on other sites, claimed it as his, and asked for money) have left quite a bad taste.
posted 06-26-16 02:53 AM CT (US)     5 / 104  
For me ENaharis is ok , because is evident he doesn't have the intention to take credit from others.
But I understand that some people prefer that he ask before.

However, Enkeli took material from everywhere and he doesn't mind to ask for permission or mention the credits. If you check his comments when he submit something is not clear from where he took them, he pass over to the job of others and it is not the first time.

Check these pics, there are some of my jobs and I didn't see my name anywhere. Similar situation with Age of chivalry buildings, he just wrote:
New Reskin for units to Jorgito "Age Of Chavalry", but not mention to Kor and his buildings.

He need to read and find the original creator and mention, even I used many Agamemmnon's graphics from his slavic set, he must mention him as well.

I don't have account in steam that's why I can't see what more he put in his mods.
posted 06-26-16 04:07 AM CT (US)     6 / 104  
ModPack Studio from back in the day allowed passwords on each graphical mod, so people can try it but can't use it(well i know there was a workaround but not everyone does :P)

I realize that for big mods it's not an option to send permissions to everyone that contacts you(e.g. password) but still worth mentioning.
posted 06-26-16 05:58 AM CT (US)     7 / 104  
Ah, Enkeli strikes again I see.
posted 06-26-16 08:56 AM CT (US)     8 / 104  
@Tzontlimixtli
But at least he is generous offering graphics of other guys when he says:
"You can use the materials to create your own Mods".

Tzontlimixtli, I sent you a message (hotmail) and I am wondering if you could help me with that. Thanks.
posted 06-26-16 10:05 AM CT (US)     9 / 104  
I've reported the file on Steam, hopefully they'll process it quickly.

It's even more shameful because he's apparently incapable of applying even the most elementary skill at correctly setting anchors, so that the mill I made has its blades put in the wrong place. He can't even properly steal someone else's graphics.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 06-26-16 10:37 AM CT (US)     10 / 104  
Yes, I saw the mill. But for me again is about respect about how he presents the job of others.
posted 06-26-16 10:40 AM CT (US)     11 / 104  
I hadn't even noticed that. What a joke

Frustratingly, the only viable course of action is to file DMCA reports on Steam and other sites, and to assure that the community knows what is going on. One can only hope that the staff on other forums/sites will respond appropriately and remove the files and/or ban the perpetrators.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 06-26-16 11:31 AM CT (US)     12 / 104  
@yakko I've not received any messages.
posted 06-26-16 12:01 PM CT (US)     13 / 104  
Thank you for answering.

I sent you a message to this mail tzontlimixtli@hotmail.com,
but in case you have changed your email address would you mind to send me a message to katanaza@mail.com please?
posted 07-01-16 03:17 AM CT (US)     14 / 104  
Enkeli again. But how did he take this buildings???

The autor didn't submit them yet!

And again he offer:

"You can use the materials to create your own Mods"

plopppppppp!

[This message has been edited by yakko (edited 07-01-2016 @ 03:37 AM).]

posted 07-01-16 03:55 AM CT (US)     15 / 104  
Ha ha! I asked the same question to Warsmithy...
posted 07-01-16 04:17 AM CT (US)     16 / 104  
He doesn't want to understand, that's the problem, 1 time ok, maybe 2 but he never stop.

Try to translate what he says, he doesn't want to accept his mistakes.

https://www.facebook.com/EnkeliStudios/
posted 07-01-16 04:28 AM CT (US)     17 / 104  
At some point I wanted to give him the befit of the doubt, like he didn't really understand the rules. But now he's just outright stealing and lying to everyone...

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 07-01-16 05:44 AM CT (US)     18 / 104  
Hello gents,

First off thanks for the quick pick up on that one TriRem, he seems to have taken it down now from what I can see.

I also wanted to mention that this one has me a bit confused as to how he obtained the files. I have never uploaded them anywhere (not finished yet!).
They sit in my workshop as an unpublished mod, which to my knowledge should mean the files only exist on my local drives - so hopefully that's not the source.

The other possibility is, he has taken the screenshots I posted and cut and paste these into BMP before converting back to SLPs. This may be what he did because the resolution / quality appears to have suffered and there is some slight modifications (the bling on the roofs). In addition, some of the masking around edges and player colours appeared messy - which wasn't a feature of my original graphics

[This message has been edited by Warsmithy (edited 07-01-2016 @ 05:58 AM).]

posted 07-01-16 06:16 AM CT (US)     19 / 104  
I was waiting for a reply of yours about whether you had given them to him or whether he had taken the graphics from the screenshots.

I think that if you haven't done so already, you should report the Facebook page for unauthorised usage of your work.

He only has 1 Patron giving 4$ a month, but he is still making money of other peoples' work.
posted 07-01-16 11:56 AM CT (US)     20 / 104  
To be clear he didn't remove the mod from the workshop, he stated in his Facebook page that he made it private for a few days so he can deal with the "false claims". Expect it to reappear soon then.

From what I can get in his reasoning, he goes by "it's on the internet then it's free to take". Yeah that's not exactly how it works.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 07-01-16 12:10 PM CT (US)     21 / 104  
He's got a nerve...I give him that...
posted 07-01-16 02:22 PM CT (US)     22 / 104  
There should be an image hoster that stamps huge watermarks with the creator's name.
posted 07-03-16 02:52 PM CT (US)     23 / 104  
Enkeli, that name rings a bell. He's the one making a mod called 'Age of Empires: Rise of History' on Moddb.

I have no idea whether his work is his own but you can check it here: Age of Empires: Rise of History

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 07-03-2016 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 07-03-16 03:27 PM CT (US)     24 / 104  
I think it's his own, but it's greatly inspired (especially for the persians) by an open-source str game named 0ad, which is simply my favorite game with AOE2, I suggest you have a look on 0ad's website (the game is in alpha phase, but already impressive, time scope is ancient history).
posted 07-03-16 04:15 PM CT (US)     25 / 104  
Lol. He couldn't even be bothered to make his own cover image. It's just the Battles of the Forgotten campaign screen image with his text and logo superimposed over it.

It's prodigiously funny. I'm not sure that he's actually created a single asset that is present in "his" mod, or is even capable of doing so

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-04-16 04:26 PM CT (US)     26 / 104  
It's prodigiously funny. I'm not sure that he's actually created a single asset that is present in "his" mod, or is even capable of doing so
We've already established that he didn't make any of the buildings and the texture packs are extremely suspicious, and the units are all converted from Civ3. The only work he's done is the data, and it's by far not the best I've seen.

Actually I've been through his Facebook page and it's hilarious. Here he claims to have been offered to work with Skylab for African Kingdoms (funny because I thought it is the AoF team who's in charge of the design process )

And here he goes on a rant about the devs stealing modders' work for the expansion, not realizing the modders themselves are the one involved in the expansion...

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 07-04-16 05:04 PM CT (US)     27 / 104  
I can confirm that no such offer was ever extended to him, whether from SkyBox Labs or from myself or any of my fellow members at FE.

Honestly, it's probably not worth stressing more than is necessary. The guy is a pathological liar and charlatan. Nothing is going to change that. Of course we should continue to protect our work from his thieving hands, but aside from the actions involved in that, it's best to just ignore him. Any sensible producing company or investor will do some cursory background research on his projects, discover that all graphical assets are shamelessly pilfered, and flee as if they had just encountered the plague.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-04-16 05:24 PM CT (US)     28 / 104  
Wow that guy's shame knows no bounds.
posted 07-17-16 07:16 AM CT (US)     29 / 104  
Not totally relevant but there is a mobile game called empire defense which has all sorts of units taken from here.
posted 09-03-16 06:34 PM CT (US)     30 / 104  
I can confirm that no such offer was ever extended to him, whether from SkyBox Labs or from myself or any of my fellow members at FE.
I wasn't too worried but had anyone of you done that I would have lost my faith in you guys.

But honestly in any of you could file a DMCA claim for Enkeli's mod I'd be very much satisfied. Link to the mod, it includes the work of modders such as Kor, Jorgito, Tzontlimixtli, Warsmithy and more... Hey the bright side is that he gave everyone authorization to use these graphics, that's so kind of him !

"Sadly" I don't see any of my work so I can't do it myself, but seeing it in the top downloads annoys me every time.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 09-04-16 03:20 AM CT (US)     31 / 104  
I already did back when, but apparently nothing happened.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 01-23-17 03:21 PM CT (US)     32 / 104  
posted 01-24-17 00:17 AM CT (US)     33 / 104  
Good for him that there are stupid people who pay for mods.
posted 01-24-17 01:45 AM CT (US)     34 / 104  
... people are so stupid... I've already reported it for being a scam, but is there any way for it at least being blocked from the Steam Workshop ?

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 01-24-17 02:28 AM CT (US)     35 / 104  
Would this be worth doing?

Selling mods or being paid in anyway is illegal.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Steam Workshop and other sites: Mod re-uploads.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames