Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Doppelsoldner (Zweihander) - 8 directions unit graphic
posted 10-21-16 11:22 PM CT (US)   
Download here: http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=12782 (may need to wait until moderator approve the update)
Alternate download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IEQezlceZo2vm3il5u3WwIjYHrAfFsnq (up-to-date)

Updated 2018/11/23:
Fix a bug that the legs of units bend in a weird angle. Also now there are 5 different variations

5 unit graphics of Landsknecht-Doppelsoldners wielding zweihander swords, rendered through Poser 6. The original Poser model is made by Kinboat, a Civilization 3 modder.

The "dress"-like clothing one is imitating a 16th century Landsknecht hired by the French king in the illustration below:

All the Standing, Running/Walking and Attacking animations are in 8 directions! So, in order to ensure the animation shows up correctly in the game, please remember to set the 'Mirroring mode' value of these 3 SLP into 0 in your mod's .dat file. The Dying and Dead Body animation would remain in 5 direction though.

New unit icons are also included in the RAR file.

Feel free to use it in your mods, but don't forget to give Kinboat and me credits!

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 11-23-2018 @ 05:24 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-22-16 11:26 AM CT (US)     1 / 36  
you should add more its awesome and change them into a pack thats made by you keep it up
posted 10-22-16 11:51 PM CT (US)     2 / 36  
Im assuming this is the first time we had a 8 direction unit in game.if possible can you make a walking and second idle animations? Would love to see it.
posted 10-23-16 06:07 AM CT (US)     3 / 36  
@adamproxdude33
you should add more its awesome and change them into a pack thats made by you keep it up
Thanks! I'm interested in units from 16C-18C, maybe I would make more units in this era. The next unit I'm planing on is a Landsknecht Halberdier or Pikeman.

----

@Mahazona
Im assuming this is the first time we had a 8 direction unit in game.
Probably not, iirc Jorgito the Great has made 8 directions units, such as this one, which I found in this thread.
if possible can you make a walking and second idle animations? Would love to see it.
Unfortunately I don't have a walking anim for the Poser model now. If I find out how to make one or someone send me a Poser walking pose I would be glad to make it.

And what is a second idle animation?

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 10-23-2016 @ 06:44 AM).]

posted 10-23-16 07:43 AM CT (US)     4 / 36  
A different stance for the unit's stand.you can have 2 stranding and walking animations in game.

Why not check out civi3 forum for a walking animation,they would probably have.
posted 10-23-16 09:18 AM CT (US)     5 / 36  
2 stranding and walking animations? Sorry but I still don't understand, any example?

Regarding the walking pose, no such pose in the Civ3 forum, but I just (probably) find out how to make it with the poses provided by Poser6 itself! Need some time to work it out though.
posted 10-23-16 09:24 AM CT (US)     6 / 36  
The wolf uses 2 walking animation one for normal walk and other one when its about to attack.

One uu in african kingdoms has 2 animations for standing.when units are idle it changes between both animations.
posted 10-23-16 12:39 PM CT (US)     7 / 36  
@ Ivenend It looks great! Keep it up! If you ever design more units from the 16 - 18 centuries let me know, as I could possibly use them for my mod!

EDIT I have come across a problem, the running graphic doesn't quite fit in with unit speed and all. Do you happen to have a walking graphic to replace the running one? And if so, could I use it? Thanks in advance!

- Creator of Age of Empires 2: The Next Chapter, a total conversion mod. http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=9&tn=44365&f=9,44365,0,30

Progress: 37% Complete.

[This message has been edited by Cactiguy (edited 10-23-2016 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 10-23-16 10:46 PM CT (US)     8 / 36  
@Cactiguy @Mahazona

Walking anim added! I'm quite satisfied with it.
Unfortunately, the number of the frames of the walking anim increase to 30 per direction, so don't forget to modify your DAT file!

The running anim is still in the RAR file, incase anyone need it.

I already update it to the Blacksmith page, but it will not be available until the moderator permit it. Don't download until you see 10/24: Added walking anim on the Blacksmith page.

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 10-23-2016 @ 10:51 PM).]

posted 10-24-16 04:38 AM CT (US)     9 / 36  
Its up with the new walking animation now.I downloaded it but yet to test in game.

Some points to improve
The walk seems to be slower than a normal unit perhaps you can try to reduce the frame count?

Also you should work on the attack more its not realistic imo and the standing should also have a small animation like moving the head or something. Just look at how the two handed swordsman attacks his body also moves forward when attacking.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-new-aok-conversion-collection.81218/page-15#post-2053059

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 10-24-2016 @ 04:48 AM).]

posted 10-24-16 05:23 AM CT (US)     10 / 36  
@Mahazona
The walk seems to be slower than a normal unit perhaps you can try to reduce the frame count?
So that is why I ask you to modify your DAT file.
Reduce the value of Frame Duration to increase the anim's speed:
Also you should work on the attack more its not realistic imo and the standing should also have a small animation like moving the head or something. Just look at how the two handed swordsman attacks his body also moves forward when attacking.
Actually I have another attacking pose(ignore the wrong body proportion):

How do you think of that? Personally I prefer the current attacking pose, but I don't mind to make an alternate SLP.

Have no idea how to make small stading animation now.
posted 10-24-16 07:56 AM CT (US)     11 / 36  
I like this attack better it has some body movement and dosent look robotic like before.
posted 10-24-16 03:19 PM CT (US)     12 / 36  
I also like this attack much more. It looks a lot more natural. Will you update the download with it?

I agree with Mahazona, and how it looked too robotic. I don't think the sword came down enough either.

- Creator of Age of Empires 2: The Next Chapter, a total conversion mod. http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=9&tn=44365&f=9,44365,0,30

posted 10-24-16 04:19 PM CT (US)     13 / 36  
Good work. I remember seeing the Civ3 Doppelsöldner on the Blacksmith, but just as a simple conversion and not adjusted for AoE2 - it always stuck out too much to be of good use.

Yours, on the other hand, gets along nicely, judging from the pictures.
posted 10-24-16 11:18 PM CT (US)     14 / 36  
10/25: add an alternate attacking anim(8 direction, frames = 15), and also an new icon bmp which fixed some bugged pixels.

As usual, need to wait until the blacksmith page updated.

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 10-25-2016 @ 05:30 AM).]

posted 10-25-16 05:01 PM CT (US)     15 / 36  
The attack is now fixed, but the download no longer has the walking animation.

posted 10-25-16 06:28 PM CT (US)     16 / 36  
Sorry, a silly mistake, add it back.
posted 10-27-16 10:49 AM CT (US)     17 / 36  
you could make a organ gun or a abus gun if u wanted
if u like melee make a rodelero one if u want
posted 10-28-16 01:17 AM CT (US)     18 / 36  
Organ gun is already there in African kingdoms as the Portuguese uu,rodelero was there in pcm mod.

Ivenend I used this unit in game and it looks good with other units.and I took use of all the animations.
posted 10-28-16 11:45 AM CT (US)     19 / 36  
So happy to hear this. And I'm curious about how you make use of all anims
posted 10-28-16 08:34 PM CT (US)     20 / 36  
I used the run for the second walking animation and used first attack for the chargeing mod. I will send you the working file if you like to see.
posted 10-28-16 11:22 PM CT (US)     21 / 36  
Of course! Could you please send to Ivenend@gmail.com? If the file is big you can also upload it somewhere and PM the link to me.
posted 11-01-16 03:34 AM CT (US)     22 / 36  
I sent you the file hope you got.
posted 11-01-16 08:15 AM CT (US)     23 / 36  
Sorry for late to reply, I have been busy thesedays.

I have receive your e-mail Mahazona. Thank you for show me the Charging function in Aoe2!

If a charging anim is needed, do you think this would be better than the current running anim?

Also, a preview of the next unit graphic, the landsknecht halberdier:

(the colour and armour not finished yet)
posted 11-02-16 01:40 AM CT (US)     24 / 36  
Im happy with the current run graphics. The attack of the halbered needs more work it dosent look natural mainly how the footing works.
posted 12-11-16 04:37 AM CT (US)     25 / 36  
Updated 2016/12/11

Download here: http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=12782
Alternate download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Z1-Y5_5P61ME9tUWhJRldKQUU

I updated my Doppelsoldner unit graphics I made last month, now there are 3 variations with different clothing. I also fix some minor Anchor bugs in the previous version.

The "dress"-like clothing one is imitating a 16th century Landsknecht hired by the French king Francois I in the illustration below:

New unit icons are also included in the RAR file.

AoK Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts (Doppelsöldner) - 5 variations

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 12-12-2016 @ 08:09 AM).]

posted 12-11-16 04:42 AM CT (US)     26 / 36  
Good job I like the dress version better.
posted 12-11-16 04:58 AM CT (US)     27 / 36  
@Mahazona

Sorry that I uploaded a wrong file(wrong Standing SLP of the "Dress" one) by mistake, if you have already downloaded it, please download again(from the google drive, the blacksmith file probably isn't ready yet)

AoK Unit Graphics:

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 12-11-2016 @ 05:01 AM).]

posted 12-11-16 05:36 AM CT (US)     28 / 36  
Excellent work Ivenend! Looks great. I like the more accurate dress version better as well.

Is it possible you can create an alternate horizontal slash for an attack?
posted 12-11-16 06:29 AM CT (US)     29 / 36  
@chiruscan

Sorry, I'm not good at making poses, in the current version, there are two attack anims per unit in the pack. One(Att.slp) is made by me, which some people think it is "Robotic", the other(Att-alt.slp) is made with the pose provided by Balam-Agab, a Civ3 modder.

I afraid that I don't have the knownledge to make a horizontal slash anim now.

AoK Unit Graphics:

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 12-11-2016 @ 06:31 AM).]

posted 11-20-18 10:05 AM CT (US)     30 / 36  
Unarchived on request...

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 11-23-18 05:25 AM CT (US)     31 / 36  
Updated 2018/11/23:
Fix a bug that the legs of units bend in a weird angle. Also now there are 5 different variations

Download here: http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=12782 (may need to wait until moderator approve the update)
Alternate download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IEQezlceZo2vm3il5u3WwIjYHrAfFsnq (up-to-date)

AoK Unit Graphics:

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 11-23-2018 @ 05:26 AM).]

posted 11-23-18 05:39 AM CT (US)     32 / 36  
Looks nice are you able to fix the idle and attack or does it still use the old animation?
posted 11-23-18 05:47 AM CT (US)     33 / 36  
are you able to fix the idle and attack or does it still use the old animation?

They're using old anims, with leg fixes for idle.

I don;t understand, is there anything else need to be fixed?

AoK Unit Graphics:

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 11-23-2018 @ 05:48 AM).]

posted 11-23-18 06:25 AM CT (US)     34 / 36  
I don;t understand, is there anything else need to be fixed?
A lot of things if you want to make it better.
1.Make the idle pose animated you can use the first 6 frames of the attack for this if you dont have any good ideas.

2.Walk still has too many frames which makes it slow in game if you dont do any data edit.can fix this by deleting half of the frame count.
3.Attack needs more work the sword should come down more.your attack starts from middle then goes up and down again.Ideally it should come down from the top without going back and fourth.
This is just a version I made rearranging the unit attack.

4.Dead body seems to be floating I can see the full shadow beneath him might want to check on that.

These are constrictive criticism and no way to downgrade your work.

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 11-23-2018 @ 06:35 AM).]

posted 11-23-18 06:55 AM CT (US)     35 / 36  
Thanks for your ideas!

1.Make the idle pose animated you can use the first 6 frames of the attack for this if you dont have any good ideas.

Will try that, I won't use the attack anim though, I will try to make an animated idle similar to Kinboat's one.

2.Walk still has too many frames which makes it slow in game if you dont do any data edit.can fix this by deleting half of the frame count.

Having 30 frames is not a flaw, it makes the anim more fluent. It is easy (and usual) to change the frame duration in data when modder adding new graphics

3.Attack needs more work the sword should come down more.your attack starts from middle then goes up and down again.Ideally it should come down from the top without going back and fourth.

Out of my ability, sorry.

4.Dead body seems to be floating I can see the full shadow beneath him might want to check on that.

It is not floating(I have checked the 3D scene to confirmed that), some parts of the unit have shadows as intended.

AoK Unit Graphics:

RoN Unit Graphics:
Landsknechts

[This message has been edited by Ivenend (edited 11-23-2018 @ 06:58 AM).]

posted 11-23-18 10:28 AM CT (US)     36 / 36  
Check your mails,I hope you are still using the old emial.
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Doppelsoldner (Zweihander) - 8 directions unit graphic
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames