You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Thread for the Appreciation of Anime
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 41 42 43 44 45 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
posted 06-12-15 05:51 PM CT (US)   

As requested

Reccommendations for CK

Kids on the Slope
Black Lagoon
My Little Monster
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Baccano
Gunslinger Girl
Redline
Akira
Ghost In the Shell

Anime Review series:

Popeychops: Kannazuki no Miko - Destiny of the Shrine Maiden

Kantai Collection
Ga-Rei: Zero

Moff: Kantai Collection

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 01-09-2019 @ 04:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-17-16 10:33 PM CT (US)     1051 / 1801  
Recommendation time! Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to: The Geniuses’ War of Love and Brains. That's a loooong title...

If you want some funnies, you should give this one a try. Pretty good, well-rounded characters and plenty of shenanigans given it's mixture of mind games and standard slice-of-life for a pretty refreshing rom-com.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 09-19-16 02:05 PM CT (US)     1052 / 1801  
The next time you need to make an argument invalid (especially one generally using Clint Eastwood memes)...

Here is Anime Clint Eastwood. And anime Eliot Gould.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 09-19-16 02:22 PM CT (US)     1053 / 1801  
Ahhh Sigi-chan you will always lose to Steyr-chan!
Ist is der ultimate Exotische waffe!

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
(The above poster is right, did you know that?)
Proud associate of Monsoon Studios

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 09-19-2016 @ 02:29 PM).]

posted 09-19-16 02:36 PM CT (US)     1054 / 1801  
...Dear God. Tell me you didn't actually watch/read Upotte!!, please.

EDIT:
wut dis?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 09-19-2016 @ 06:28 PM).]

posted 09-19-16 07:21 PM CT (US)     1055 / 1801  
Oh lord.

There will probably be some more KnM tomorrow.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 09-19-16 07:24 PM CT (US)     1056 / 1801  
I am so, so sorry, Popey.

posted 09-20-16 06:25 AM CT (US)     1057 / 1801  
Why, is there something I should know?

posted 09-20-16 03:58 PM CT (US)     1058 / 1801  

Kannazuki no Miko - Destiny of the Shrine Maiden

Episode 8: Storm of the Silver Moon

0:25 – Reusing the same camera-pan-still of the stairs leading up to the school that we saw at the beginning of episode 1. Great start. [-5]

0:42 – Something is seriously wrong with LLI’s back. She’s stiff as a board, and bending backwards with her head down and her arms to her sides. It’s all wrong. [-1]

2:50 – LLI is shipping Ms Brightside off to Tokyo. So, we have learned that in this post-apocalyptic world, there are still major cities. We also know that LLI is going to try to put the moves on Himeko again once her other crush is out of the picture. Because this anime is both transparent and predictable.

3:48 – Ms Brightside has a doll that looks like herself. Ew.

4:11 – The animation quality has taken a real turn for the worst. Still images, with dialogue where the characters stand dead-still and flap their mouths between two different frames. [-10]

4:30 – There’s a proverb about writing fiction that’s quite dear to my heart. It goes something like “If your characters tell a story that’s more interesting than the one you’re telling, you’re writing the wrong story”.
Now, the story about how LLI and Ms Brightside met might be trite, but seeing LLI looking like a happy little girl, and not a miserable sociopath, makes me feel they’re telling the wrong story.

5:00 – Literally nothing has happened so far. I’m bored. [-10]

5:37 – Flashback to a bathing sequence. Arse cheeks are visible. It even zooms right in on them. Ecchi-sketchy counter: 39

6:07 – LLI is hugging Ms Brightside in a vaguely sexual way. Ms Brightside is blushing. And I have absolutely no interest in what’s going on. I just couldn’t care less about what this anime is doing. To be brutally honest, I think the rest of the episode is a write-off and the series peaked last time out. I’m so bored that I’m fiddling with my codec settings instead of paying attention. [-10]

7:09 – Flashback to someone in HLI’s family scaling a cliff face with his little brother. Then images of a mecha. Then HLI gives some exposition. This is a little bit better. Pity points awarded. [+2]

7:22 – And now LLI is in school, doing some philosophising.

8:03 – Himeko and HLI have met up together for the first time since they did their smooching. And he’s apologising, and she’s apologising. It’s sweet but hamfisted. [+5]

10:02 – HLI wants to take her somewhere after school. If you know what I mean [+1]

10:06 – Oh they’re riding his bike and he’s gunning the throttle like an absolute madman

10:27 – Shopping Centre date. Dull as dishwater.

11:11 – Oh Himeko, you’ve got skills. When asked “And for your boyfriend?” you reply with “Um, not for him”. It’s awkward, but better than the usual “He’s not my boyfriend.” The ship is sailing. [+5]

11:35 – LLI is bound up naked by rose-stems again. Ecchi-sketchy counter: 40

12:19 – HLI makes a good point. The way Himeko goes on about LLI would make you feel jealous. He understands that it’s not like that, but still. Their relationship hasn’t quite caught the wind in its sails yet.

13:23 – “I love you” has been said. SOUND THE DRAMA ALARM [+2]

13:25 – Cut away to the climbing again. It’s the fake bros, and it wasn’t a flashback. They’ve found something mysterious…

13:49 – Back to HLI riding the bike like a madman again. Himeko dismounts and gets the helmet off extremely quickly. [-1]

14:09 – HLI, you top lad. You bought her the book she was eyeing up. #BoyfriendMaterial [+5]

14:11 – And then you run away. Dude.

14:38 – A new villain appears. She looks vaguely like LLI but the voice is completely different. They’re not giving it away yet…

14:41 – Huh, maybe it was Sultry Latina Villain? I’m not sure.

14:58 – LLI is playing creepy piano music.

15:29 – LLI asks Himeko whether she loves her. With dead soulless eyes. Creepier still.

15:56 – Another forced snog. Yuck. LLI is a sexual predator. [-10]

16:11 - HLI has more telepathy with his pink symbol. Here he comes to save the day…

16:27 – Rapey pushing down. LLI has become a Villain.

16:59 – LLI, no means no! She doesn’t want to!

17:03 – You might want to, but she doesn’t!

17:20 – Oh, LLI is now a domestic abuser as well as a rapist. This got really dark really quickly. It’s not being done well, but it’s not completely tasteless.

17:31 – “Is it my fault? Is it because of something I’ve done?”
Okay, now it’s tasteless. [-10]

17:35 – LLI rips open Himeko’s blouse. Ecchi-sketchy counter: 41

18:06 – “You’re late”. Way to stick the daggers in. Yuck. [-5]

18:38 – LLI causes an explosion and HLI is thrown out of the building by magic. Lazy writing. [-10]

18:48 – Mate are you gonna take that shit from her

19:10 – Oh, it was her magic arrows which did the damage. Go on lad, do her in.

20:46 – LLI can command HLI’s mecha because reasons.

21:56 – Ugh. This episode is just reprehensible. [-15]

Verdict: what the f*ck was that

Final Score: -67

Rating: 1/10 (Abysmal)

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 09-20-2016 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 09-20-16 04:25 PM CT (US)     1059 / 1801  
I need to recap a few things I've said earlier... waiting for this moment and Popey's trauma.
6:10 – The priestess-heroines have to both be chaste maidens, which obviously means they can’t have straight sexual partners. But obviously, according to Japanese religious law, being a lesbian preserves your technical virginity so Himeko and LLI are free to frolic as they wish, smh. [-4]
That... actually made my stomach turn slightly.
(Emphasis mine)
10:38 – True to form, LLI is trying to put the moves on Himeko while she sleeps. I’m sick of this now. [-5]

11:21 – What are you to Himeko, indeed? A rapist. That’s what you are, LLI. [-5]
Yep.
I promised two KnM reviews this month, and you shall have your second later tonight.
Good. Otherwise we'd have to have Chikane go get her flute. <_<
In hindsight, this threat was rather tasteless. >_>
8:24 – Apparently, lesbians aren’t allowed to be happy in this world. [-5]
Welcome to Japan!
8:55 – Himeko accepts HLI as he is, not asking him to change or better himself. In its own way, the anime is being very sweet. [+3]
How long will that last?
13:16 – Sultry Latina Villain is groping LLI. This is pure “rape as drama”. It’s not being explored in a tasteful way. It’s heavily eroticised. I hate it. It is dirty. [-15] Ecchi-sketchy counter: 35
Oh, poor Popey...
I tried to warn you. All this time, I tried.

Thank you for soldiering on. I actually have no knowledge of the series after this; I got so disgusted reading the TVTropes entry that I stopped and only tune in for you and SFDebris.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 09-20-2016 @ 04:25 PM).]

posted 09-20-16 05:44 PM CT (US)     1060 / 1801  
I can only imagine that tvtropes page.

I'm 2/3s of the way through. This episode took one hour to write instead of two, so at least there's that. I'll hopefully be done relatively soon.

posted 09-20-16 06:20 PM CT (US)     1061 / 1801  
@Moff: that's Sekirei (the clip you posted).

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 09-20-16 06:29 PM CT (US)     1062 / 1801  
Did SFDebris ragequit after this episode?

posted 09-21-16 04:02 PM CT (US)     1063 / 1801  

Kannazuki no Miko - Destiny of the Shrine Maiden

Episode 9: To the Edge of Hell

0:00 – Surely this can’t be any worse than last time around. Watching this will only make me feel better. Surely. *sigh*

0:11 – Pathetic fallacy and a progression skip the Fake Bros collect the fallen body of HLI, whose forehead is glowing pink with evil. Already a better start than last time out. [+1]

0:21 – Himeko is huddled in the bedroom, wrapped in what looks like a scarlet curtain. She’s reliving her ordeal and asking “LLI, why?”
I thought she got kidnapped at the end of the last episode. I guess not.

1:18 – I am an idiot. The future fight between Himeko and LLI was in the OP the whole time.

2:01 – HLI is surprised at waking up alive. Poor boy. More exposition is happening, where LLI subconsciously didn’t want the Shinto rituals to work, and therefore they couldn’t revive the Celtic Guardian.

3:03 – Cue image of LLI naked, wrapped in a web of spiky vines. Ecchi-sketchy counter: 42

3:10 – “By the way, HLI, have you noticed the glowing scales growing on your body that cover most of your back? That’s a curse”. [-4]

3:36 – HLI has the choice between letting the world get destroyed, or fighting using his villainous powers and becoming a demon that destroys the world. Yay

4:24 – Fake bro has decided that in order to snap Himeko out of her post-traumatic depression, she needs to be manhandled and instructed on what constitutes her “duty”. Yuck. This series is destroying its characters. [-10]

4:46 – HLI telling him to get real, and be more considerate. Good for you, HLI. [+2]

6:32 – Meanwhile in Purple Hell, the villains are eyeing up LLI. Not even Adorable Nurse-chan can lift my mood.

7:08 – 2Chainz thinks he can have a go. Guess what happens next?

7:22 – Okay, my guess wasn’t “Feel her up with his chains.” Ecchi-sketchy counter: 43 [-5]

7:44 – Ahh, there we are. My guess was “Get the shit kicked out of him”. Apparently it hurts of you stab the glowing purple symbols.

8:04 – Okay, what nonsense is this? Himeko has returned to LLI’s mansion, seen LLI sitting on the stairs, and ran towards her, arms outstretched. Her rapist. [-15]

8:20 – Oh right, it was all a dream. That takes away some of the sting, but seriously. [+10]

8:54 – LLI turns 2Chainz to stone, and promptly incurs the wrath of all the villains. The big robot allows her to ignore their attacks. Pitiful.

9:58 – Back to school, and Himeko is going to the lunch spot looking for LLI. Ugh. Wake up [-10]

10:04 – Intercepted by the horrible blue-haired girl and her lackies. Why?

10:29 – LLI isn’t in school. Himeko is having a breakdown because of this. Oh dear.

11:16 – Here comes a character we haven’t seen in a long time, annoying sex-pest sidekick!

11:37 – Yes, put the blue-haired girl in her place. [+5]

11:45 – Meanwhile in Purple Hell, a fight is happening. But I’m not at all invested because of the scene transitions. It’s just happening to happen.

12:04 – Adorable Nurse-chan has been turned to stone. [-10]

13:00 – I just don’t care about LLI’s stupid OP fighting

13:40 – I think Sultry Latina Villain just got straight-up killed.

15:50 – I’m so bored by the talking between Sidekick and Himeko. It’s supposed to be sweet pure friendship but I just don’t care

18:11 – Ms Brightside is coming back in a week. Cool.

18:34 – RealBro and LLI are fighting in Purple Hell. Piano is playing and Ms Brightside is nattering away. I still don’t care.

19:10 – HLI is doing lots of punching. Training scene.

19:45 – LLI lost the fight, but RealBro thinks that like him, she embodies all 8 villains. Cool story bro

20:55 – RealBro flung a mystic sword down to earth for HLI. Get hype

22:02 – Himeko comes to Fake Bro, wearing LLI’s Shinto outfit. “I’ll do it.” Yawn.

20:09 – Not even DETERMINATION and the ending theme can rescue this. But I do still like the ending theme. Almost as much as I like Hypest Hype.

Verdict: I don’t even care any more. In any other situation I would just quit. This is miserable, almost as miserable as Episode 8. I caught up on SFDebris’ reviews and I agree with them completely. It’s just an awful series and I can’t see this recovering. I’m gonna go watch some more Tempah T music videos.

Final Score: -36

Rating: 3/10 (Very Bad)

posted 09-21-16 04:16 PM CT (US)     1064 / 1801  
The latest batch of animes are finishing up, and thus the time for my usual anime binges fast approaches!

I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 09-21-16 05:09 PM CT (US)     1065 / 1801  
Did SFDebris ragequit after this episode?
Unknown. The ecchi-sketchy generally made things uncomfortable enough that he almost treats the show as a gag punishment. His Episode 8 review was well within the usual window between episodes, so... can't say.
3:36 – HLI has the choice between letting the world get destroyed, or fighting using his villainous powers and becoming a demon that destroys the world. Yay
So, we're all boned no matter what.
4:24 – Fake bro has decided that in order to snap Himeko out of her post-traumatic depression, she needs to be manhandled and instructed on what constitutes her “duty”. Yuck. This series is destroying its characters. [-10]
My nose is actually wrinkled from reading that.
12:04 – Adorable Nurse-chan has been turned to stone. [-10]
Noo!
13:40 – I think Sultry Latina Villain just got straight-up killed.
NOOOO!
Verdict: I don’t even care any more. In any other situation I would just quit. This is miserable, almost as miserable as Episode 8. I caught up on SFDebris’ reviews and I agree with them completely. It’s just an awful series and I can’t see this recovering. I’m gonna go watch some more Tempah T music videos.
Well, something good did come from this... I got Popura-chan into SFDebris!

posted 09-22-16 11:18 AM CT (US)     1066 / 1801  

Fufufu... useful for discussing 2D vs 3D at OD. <_<

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Friendly fire!

Hehe. >_>

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 09-24-2016 @ 09:55 AM).]

posted 09-27-16 00:45 AM CT (US)     1067 / 1801  
I think you can lay off the self-torture of sub-par anime lifeline doses for at least one movie soon.

EDIT: Also in ref. to Moff's first image macro (yes I'm going to continue to call them that): Japanese girls cosplaying as anime characters is quite ... unalluring. It just doesn't suit their features at all. I prefer the hodge-podgery of patterns and colours much more. I'd love to raise a small girl in Japan spoiling her with all kinds of fairy tiaras and happy Halloween pumpkin shoes. I'm not sure where I'll draw the line. Perhaps at the vampire teeth.

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited 09-27-2016 @ 00:57 AM).]

posted 09-27-16 08:18 AM CT (US)     1068 / 1801  
Japanese girls cosplaying as anime characters is quite ... unalluring.
Depends on how alluring it's supposed to be. To be frank, the more erotic, the less appealing. And the cosplay has be as natural as possible.

Long story short, I've seen some good Kongou and Kaga cosplays, except for Slutty Battleships and Aircraft Carriers. Can't say the same even for otherwise well-done Yuudachi cosplays.

You can see why that would be easier to do than this:
http://65.media.tumblr.com/f7e20ea93f93d5250d48103089b3b1f7/tumblr_nx83ugTRBa1ssbwqro1_500.jpg
\

EDIT:
Helper/Popey/Oliver... who is Ranko and which anime?

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 09-27-2016 @ 08:54 AM).]

posted 09-27-16 11:54 AM CT (US)     1069 / 1801  
Probably this one: http://www.project-imas.com/wiki/Ranko_Kanzaki

Dunno anything about her.

posted 09-27-16 06:40 PM CT (US)     1070 / 1801  
Oh God, more idols.

EDIT: Speaking of idols... I found the new Popemobile!

If the horn doesn't somehow blare "Nico, Nico, niiiii!" I am disappoint.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 09-27-2016 @ 07:13 PM).]

posted 09-27-16 10:53 PM CT (US)     1071 / 1801  
Here're my current ratings for my "recently finished animes" binge list (still got around 10 more to go):

Rewrite - 5 (Not too good, but entertaining at least)
Sakamoto desu ga? Special - 4 (just bad, useless special not worthy of the actual series)
Ange Vierge - 4 (stoopid)
Qualidea Code - 4 (terrible animation, barely even worth a 4)
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - 6 (dropped after 2 episodes, didn't strike my fancy but may pick it up again someday)
Handa-kun - 8 (quite good, fun)
Taboo Tattoo - 5 (entertaining but all over the place and I didn't like the art style)
New Game! - 8 (fun to watch, heartwarming)
Ozmafia!! - 3 (garbage, at least the episodes were short)
Masou Gakuen HxH - 4 (would've been better as a hentai rather than this mess)
Servamp - 6 (niceish art and fairly interesting/entertaining but not really up there)

[This message has been edited by Major Helper (edited 09-27-2016 @ 10:54 PM).]

posted 09-28-16 01:56 AM CT (US)     1072 / 1801  
Masou Gakuen HxH - 4 (would've been better as a hentai rather than this mess)
...Uh, what?

posted 09-28-16 02:23 AM CT (US)     1073 / 1801  
It was just ridiculous, basically the main hero had "Eros" armor that allowed recharging and enhancing of the heroines' armors' powers (Zeros, Neros and so on) by mental bonding and copious amounts of R-rated physical fondling. Plus your usual other dimension monsters/enemies attacking Earth. At least the drawing style and the general "plot" pacing was better than usual, which enabled me to withstand the, uh, power level recovery sessions (which I ended up mostly skipping towards the end since once you've seen one you've seen them all <.<'). But really, it'd have made way more sense as a hentai than this borderline attempt.

posted 09-28-16 02:47 AM CT (US)     1074 / 1801  
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

posted 09-28-16 09:12 AM CT (US)     1075 / 1801  
Oh man, that's ridiculous. XD

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 41 42 43 44 45 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » A Thread for the Appreciation of Anime
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames