You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Thread for the Appreciation of Anime
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 49 50 51 52 53 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
posted 06-12-15 05:51 PM CT (US)   

As requested

Reccommendations for CK

Kids on the Slope
Black Lagoon
My Little Monster
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Baccano
Gunslinger Girl
Redline
Akira
Ghost In the Shell

Anime Review series:

Popeychops: Kannazuki no Miko - Destiny of the Shrine Maiden

Kantai Collection
Ga-Rei: Zero

Moff: Kantai Collection

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 01-09-2019 @ 04:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-19-17 04:46 PM CT (US)     1251 / 1801  
Chaps this is a good deal

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 01-19-17 07:00 PM CT (US)     1252 / 1801  
Too bad my uni laptop can't run games like that.

posted 01-19-17 09:27 PM CT (US)     1253 / 1801  
"Captain! I'll be your mayonnaise!"

ECCHI! ECCHI! ECCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 01-20-17 00:33 AM CT (US)     1254 / 1801  
I can second that Valkyria Chronicles is a good game.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 01-20-17 01:28 AM CT (US)     1255 / 1801  
I can third that. I mean, tanks can randomly get stuck on the ground (but then, I guess real tanks do that too) and both the story and gameplay have their occasional moments of pure bullshit, but it's a lovely game which I got into very fast.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 01-22-17 05:30 PM CT (US)     1256 / 1801  

Tank puns are best.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
posted 01-22-17 07:43 PM CT (US)     1257 / 1801  
The O-Ni design looks downright silly.

It looks like something a kid would draw in a competition with another kid to draw the strongest tank. Make it as big and bulky as possible, more or less ignore sloping and add two extra turrets below the main gun just because extra firepower.

posted 01-22-17 09:36 PM CT (US)     1258 / 1801  
Aaaaaaand just finished watching HaiFuri. Hmm. I don't think I can really recommend this... aside from everyone being sick of me rambling about boats of both steel and 2D flesh.

The cast is enormous. As it is, I can name five characters out of... dozens. I can say, "Oh, she's the..." for a handful more (Chief Engineer, Assistant Engineer with a crush on the XO, etc). Unlike, say, Girls und Panzer, the shading between related groups is much less and there's actually precious little character development.

However, the show is humorous in many spots. However, these are rather disjointed. The plot has a feeling of being tacked on so the moe crew actually have something to squeal about... though I did find their plight about running out of toilet paper (as well as munitions, fuel, and spare parts) quite harrowing indeed. Fanservice is sparse; unfortunately, this compensated for by barrelling after it and embracing it so hard you'll feel like a criminal.

It's not a bad show. Maybe with a few more watchings, I could actually identify those twins running the galley, or the deck crew, or more of the engineers and gunnery crew. I just have no reason to bother.

Also, some of the sci-fi elements are just irksome in their "WHAT IF THIIIIIIIIIIIIS HAPPENED" aspect. There is no heavier-than-air flight. That's right, baby, Zeppelins and blimps all the way. This, of course, means there are no aircraft carriers: Akagi and Kaga are mentioned, and are certainly in their battlecruiser and battleship configurations. You really have to be into Japanese naval history to even give a shit.

It has some nice art, seemingly from the team that did Love Live! School Idol Project (you can tell with the eyes and hair and the fact that Mika-chan [I can't even remember the captain's proper name] is Honoka in an officer's cap). The naval battle scenes are actually interesting, and the curious mix of tablet computers and cell phones while duking it out in a WW2 (or maybe post-war; the IJN never operated a ship called the Harekaze) destroyer has its charm. But... yeah. Not a ton to recommend. It isn't memorably "what the f**k" like KanColle, it isn't as fun and engaging as GuP, as ecchi as Upotte!!, as endearing as Non Non Biyori, as funny as Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, or as focused as Working!!. Maybe Helper would like it, if it's not already part of his vast harem of despoiled series... but then more as a point of comparison than really standing on its own merits.

So... I won't discourage someone from checking it out, if you like watching ships that don't talk, about senpais or anything else, or some light moe fare. But I can't really scream, "ERR MAH GERD WATCH WATCH" like I could for others.

Also, the very end is kind of a "WTF" moment because of its sheer arthouse bullshittery. At least, as far as one can go in naval-themed moeshit.

Sooo... yeah. Maybe Chud and Helper would like this? I guess if you liked GuP but are really into WW2 Pacific naval campaign history... maybe?

EDIT: Moff's sides are not daijobu.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 01-23-2017 @ 09:57 AM).]

posted 01-26-17 05:34 PM CT (US)     1259 / 1801  

Kantai Collection

Episode 7: I Hate this Carrier Group Anime!

Verdict: I no longer care what I called the characters. I’m not going to pause it to write comments any more, either.

You know, this show would be much more gripping (and would justify its ensemble cast) if more of the girls were killed off. Either characters I felt invested in would die, or annoyances would disappear. Something along the lines of Puella Magi Madoka Magika, which had a quarter of the character number, but still made it feel as though they were always in danger.

And as I type this, Longbowgirl 2 gets torpedoed. But doesn’t die. So disappointing! And it was A-cup Angst, of all the ships, who Longbowgirl took one for. And instead of just getting on with the repairs, they all scowl at each other and point fingers of blame. Boring, whiny, immature.

There was some ship shipping, which amused me slightly. Fu-boring gets appointed Flagship as a joke, and now she makes decisions and gets serious intel. WTF?
Why is there a battleship in a CAG? The Abyssals have cracked ENIGMA. A-cup Angst is a racist.

This is dull as dishwater. I’m going to watch Rick & Morty.

Ecchi-sketchy Counter: 11
•Pantsu in the OP. Until they change it, the E-S counter will have a minimum of 1.
•FLASHBACK gratuitous bathing scene.
•Gratuitous REPAIR bathing scene.
•The camera cuts do nothing except display cleavage.
•And bobbing Longbowgirl’s head jiggles her bosom.
•Being damaged makes you naked.
•Anddd again.
•One of the Abyssals doesn’t like clothes.
•More bathing.
•Even more bathing.
•Nudie Fu-boring in the ending sequence.

Rating: 5/10 (Mediocre)

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 01-26-2017 @ 05:35 PM).]

posted 01-26-17 05:50 PM CT (US)     1260 / 1801  
You pay an incredible amount of attention to the ecchi moments. These things just flew over my head in Kantai Collection. You've really honed your pantsu-radar. Not sure that reflects well on you.

posted 01-26-17 06:02 PM CT (US)     1261 / 1801  
Mate I don't see how you can miss when a girl has her knackers out

posted 01-26-17 06:06 PM CT (US)     1262 / 1801  
I watched KonoSuba. Fun stuff. MC's suffering will never end.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 01-26-17 06:39 PM CT (US)     1263 / 1801  
Given the complaints above

Vinyl's recommendation of the day: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (NSFW)

The unholy love child of "WTF America" and "WTF Japan"

Pros:
Cartoon Network Style Animation and Plots
Genius Deconstructionism
From the Gurren Lagaan guys
It shuts down pointless anime erotica by tripling down on it

Cons:
The name of the show pretty much covers this

[This message has been edited by Vinyl (edited 01-26-2017 @ 06:40 PM).]

posted 01-26-17 07:25 PM CT (US)     1264 / 1801  
Kaga and Zuikaku do get a little character arc with each other... like this:

Or this

Honestly, I think part of the reason is the space between your watchings. No, no, I'm not griping about your review schedule. But when I watched the show, I basically did 5-12 in one sitting. So... one, I could keep track of most of the characters rather than wondering where they're coming from when they had a small intro in the previous episode. It kinda helps the continuity... and the threat.

Also, one does not simply sink Kaga-sama. <_<

Oh, and next episode has the obligatory once-an-anime beach/bathing suit scene. :p

posted 01-26-17 10:18 PM CT (US)     1265 / 1801  
It's been awhile since I've been to AoK forums.

When I come into this thread.

I should never leave.
posted 01-29-17 03:57 PM CT (US)     1266 / 1801  
I hate this new "omg slutty sweater" trend sweeping the anime world. Fortunately, Iowa-sama agrees with me.

Also, I've recently joined a naval history group on Facebook that exclusively discusses destroyers. Five minutes after I did, I found this... I wanted to post it so bad. But then, I noticed the rules said all ships had to be captioned with a name, so I couldn't even try to pass it off with a "guess the ship" game.

Life is so unfair.

posted 01-29-17 08:52 PM CT (US)     1267 / 1801  
I just remembered, what happened to Sipia and his SAO watch-run again? I want to see him tear apart the show after it starts to get bad.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 01-29-17 08:54 PM CT (US)     1268 / 1801  
I think that kinda petered out... <_<

posted 01-30-17 02:40 AM CT (US)     1269 / 1801  
He was only supposed to watch the good half

posted 01-30-17 03:55 AM CT (US)     1270 / 1801  
I just remembered, what happened to Sipia and his SAO watch-run again?
Ah, th-that! Yeah! No, it's, it's underway! I-It's not like I was trying to pull a fast one on you! It's just that... my dog... ate my hard drive. Yeah. That's it. <_<' '>_>

So, uhm, yeah. I'll get back to that ASAP.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 01-30-17 05:25 AM CT (US)     1271 / 1801  
Ah, th-that! Yeah! No, it's, it's underway! I-It's not like I was trying to pull a fast one on you! It's just that... my dog... ate my hard drive. Yeah. That's it. <_<' '>_>
That's a very good impression of an anime character!

Needs a few more "e tou"s, though.

EDIT: In the theater of close naval combat, superdreadnoughts are known for their savagery.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 01-30-2017 @ 05:51 AM).]

posted 01-30-17 03:43 PM CT (US)     1272 / 1801  
He was only supposed to watch the good half
Even the good half is not that good, though. >_>

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 01-31-17 05:00 AM CT (US)     1273 / 1801  
It kind of is, I really enjoyed it personally and I felt that the characters were pretty strong. I'm of the opinion that in the way you can't have real despair without hope, you can't truly hate something or someone without liking them or itfirst.

posted 01-31-17 04:52 PM CT (US)     1274 / 1801  

Is real, tovarishch. And legal.

And hopefully more than 4 feet tall. She's too cute to be like her anime counterpart.

posted 01-31-17 04:59 PM CT (US)     1275 / 1801  
Popey just explained rogue one for me.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 49 50 51 52 53 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » A Thread for the Appreciation of Anime
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames