You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Thread for the Appreciation of Anime
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 32 33 34 35 36 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
posted 06-12-15 05:51 PM CT (US)   

As requested

Reccommendations for CK

Kids on the Slope
Black Lagoon
My Little Monster
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Baccano
Gunslinger Girl
Redline
Akira
Ghost In the Shell

Anime Review series:

Popeychops: Kannazuki no Miko - Destiny of the Shrine Maiden

Kantai Collection
Ga-Rei: Zero

Moff: Kantai Collection

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 01-09-2019 @ 04:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-13-16 06:04 PM CT (US)     826 / 1801  
After watching like 2 minutes of the first episode I already got bored (due to not liking the prospect of watching something I've watched before), skipped to the thirteenth episode's halfway point, confirmed that I had definitely watched the episode (and therefore the season) before and proceeded to watch the second season instead Finished it and now the third one's left for tomorrow.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 06-13-16 08:59 PM CT (US)     827 / 1801  
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-CHAN!

WILL YOU NOTICE ME TODAY SENPAI?!

I'LL MAKE NONSENSE STATEMENTS ABOUT GPU VENDORS SO YOU HAVE TO CORRECT ME DUE TO YOUR MISPLACED PEDANTICISMS!

oh f*ck I just noticed the cup I'm drinking milk out of isn't clean. well shit.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 06-13-16 10:15 PM CT (US)     828 / 1801  
Do that again and you are finishing Kantai Collection, Mister! And reading the Wiki!

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 06-14-16 02:36 AM CT (US)     829 / 1801  
Currently at 260 completed animes (to the total of 290 with the dropped ones included) worth of 4063 episodes and 66.7 days
I've seen twenty or so and I thought that was a lot... Can you actually separate most of them in your mind, or do they tend to run together?

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 06-14-16 06:51 AM CT (US)     830 / 1801  
CK you have issues man

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 06-14-16 08:53 AM CT (US)     831 / 1801  
@Blat: Hmm, looking at the list of titles I've seen I'd say I usually at least get a feeling of what it was like, like the general mood and/or plot and that sort of stuff. Asking me specific stuff like what the names of the characters were would be futile though, I often fail to remember the names of the characters in the shows I'm actually watching at the time If I were to rewatch anything I have seen I'd get put off very quickly since it's dull for me to watch stuff I remember seeing before. My anime watching aims for quick, fresh pleasure most of the time.

I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-

[This message has been edited by Major Helper (edited 06-14-2016 @ 10:33 AM).]

posted 06-14-16 08:59 AM CT (US)     832 / 1801  
I forget; did you watch EttU, CK?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
posted 06-14-16 05:32 PM CT (US)     833 / 1801  
Tonight I watched "When Marnie was There". It was very good.

posted 06-16-16 07:01 PM CT (US)     834 / 1801  
Found some Working!! stuff at /r manga today. Apparently it's post-ending.

Here.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 06-16-16 07:04 PM CT (US)     835 / 1801  
You have Batoto too?

EDIT: Huh. No shop. And they really make Yachiyo a ditz... I think they might have gone a bit overboard in Derpifying her.

EDIT2: Finally finished Girls und Panzer disc 1 tonight. It ends on the epic exchange of fire at the end of the Pravda match. Also, Tetris music.

...Yeah, Crunchyroll is better for having just cut out the whole sequence. It turns what would have been a badass battle psyching up to... random shots with weird music while nothing actually happens.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 06-16-2016 @ 09:57 PM).]

posted 06-16-16 11:51 PM CT (US)     836 / 1801  
Finished Working!! The last season was definitely the best, since I didn't have to suffer through the violent girl stuff anymore. Plus everything got resolved nicely which is right up my alley

posted 06-17-16 07:33 AM CT (US)     837 / 1801  
Well, of course she's violent. She's voiced by Akagi-senpai.

Anyone familiar with Non Non Biyori? This is all I know about it.

So I don't know if I watch I'll:
A) Be bored as that's a one-off
B) Laugh my ass off
C) Be really, really creeped out

posted 06-17-16 02:16 PM CT (US)     838 / 1801  
You'll probably be bored. I watched it out of curiosity. It's kind of relaxing. I was worried that it would be creepy but I honestly think it's quite innocent. There was only one bit I remember that I thought was a little edgy.

posted 06-17-16 03:14 PM CT (US)     839 / 1801  
Is it on Crunchyroll?

posted 06-17-16 03:16 PM CT (US)     840 / 1801  
Yup.

posted 06-17-16 04:56 PM CT (US)     841 / 1801  
Episode 1 is titled "I Became a First Grader." Errm. Okay... please don't go into awful loli territory, show.

posted 06-17-16 04:57 PM CT (US)     842 / 1801  
But if you must, make sure you don't hold anything back
posted 06-17-16 05:12 PM CT (US)     843 / 1801  
Also, I'm going to openly rip off Sipia reviews... but I do this both out of respect and to spare him the horror. Shall I put it here or might I need a more dedicated thread?

posted 06-17-16 05:17 PM CT (US)     844 / 1801  
Don't worry, Moff.

posted 06-18-16 05:21 PM CT (US)     845 / 1801  
Episode 1: The Phantom Mofface "Hello, Commander!"

0:02 - Bubble bubble, toil and trouble... it's KanColle time.

0:03 - "Hast thou not gone against sincerity? Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds?"
Today is the day we find out the sincere feelings towards Kantai Collection. But maybe a little ashamed that I'm doing a point-by-point Sipia-style review of KanColle. But I do this to save our dear Sippy... some things he should not be subjected to first-hand.

Nevertheless, this is a rather dark opening. We're under water, watching the sun fade away and fish swim by. It's done in black and white with this solemn motto being spoken over it. You might actually think this is a serious show.

0:12 - "Hast thou not lacked vigor?" Do I take points off for reminding me that I get a little annoying and obsessive? Nah... that's not the show's fault.

0:16 - "Hast thou exerted all possible efforts?" *srs trumpet plays* Seriously... the opening would be great if this were some kind of grimdark thing. But we're going to get shipping ships and tonal confusion. So... did the makers exert all possible efforts?

0:20 - "Hast thou not been slothful?" I'm sitting in my chair, watching anime in four-second spurts. I think that's practically a dictionary definition of slothful.

0:24 - SPOOPYYYYY. This did actually make me jump a little the first time I watched it. Nice sci-fi horror atmosphere you're building. (+1)

Yes. A lovely sci-fi horror atmosphere... all the better to write about budding love between battleship women.

0:29 - Abyssals appear out of a nuclear explosion? No heavy-handed allegory there!

So, the backstory is "a mysterious fleet appeared from the depths of the ocean. Mankind named them 'Abyssals.' From destroyers to super dreadnoughts, their varied attacks drove humanity from the seas."

0:51 - A very WW2 Japanese airplane flies by. Your first hint that things are awry. But, nice attention to detail. (+1)

1:00 - A bunch of planes now; torpedo bombers. I hate them in World of Warships. But they engage in a very nicely done battle with the Abyssal ships.

1:10 - The humanoid Abyssal ship (a heavy cruiser or battleship; no I don't actually know them by sight) is wearing black panties with gratuitous buttcrack. Sorry, no matter how nice your animated naval warfare is (also, hand-trained heavy artillery serving as anti-aircraft batteries?!)... (-1)

1:13 - She also has on a black bra and if those panties were any lower in the front, we'd know whether Abyssals shave. (-1)

1:16 - "Only one thing can stand against them..." Any sort of enforced dress code?

1:20 - "Girls who possess the souls of warships from years past."

wat

1:25 - "The Fleet Girls." (Kanmusu in Japanese)

And we get to meet Kongo-class battleship Haruna (point), Kongo-class battleship Kirishima (port flanker), Atago (starboard flanker), Kuma-class light cruisers Kuma and Tama, and the aircraft carrier Shokaku (rear guard)

1:27 - "Haruna won't let you get away with this!"

Yes. The Japanese battleship Haruna, which was chosen as the Emperor's official naval transport, is now a 20-something Japanese woman with long ash-brown hair. And she won't let you get away with this! ...Whatever that is.

And she refers to herself in the third person. I guess it's supposed to make her humble or whatever.

1:36 - Kirishima and Haruna fire their guns... and we pause the show to explain how exactly a bunch of Japanese girls and young women are carrying fudging naval artillery and torpedoes. "Using weapons known as 'outfits,' they were born with the power to fight the Abyssals..."

1:44 - ...Which is demonstrated as what are supposed to be fourteen-inch shells whizz by the camera and blow up Underpants Girl. Apparently, she is a Ri-class heavy cruiser (they say so in the hard cut to a briefing room).

1:54 - "With their help, a mission to take back the seas is about to begin."

And by help, we mean "with just them doing it. Apparently, we can't even get a single real ship anywhere near the water." Also, we see Nagato, Mutsu, and Ooyodo. No, I'm not bothering with macrons and shit.

Also, the music is very dramatic but good. (+1)

2:03 - Nagato has a very deep voice (for a woman). It's much deeper than her in-game voice, according to the Wiki. I think it fits. The Nagato-class were part of the first seven ships fitted with sixteen-inch guns... hence the nickname (often used in this show) of The Big Seven. The other five (Mutsu is also the other Nagato-class battleship built) are HMS Nelson, HMS Rodney, USS Colorado, USS Maryland, and the USS West Virgina.

2:10 - Aircraft are launched from carriers... who are all archers. Yes, the planes start as arrows.

2:18 - And now it's a bright and sunny day with clear blue skies and fluffy white clouds.

2:20 - AKAGI-SENPAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...

Okay, enough of that. Everyone else will be beating that into the ground quite soon. Also, I don't really like Akagi... for reasons that will be clear by the end of the season.

2:28 - Some weird girl in a white school uniform is just standing next to a piling or tower or something. Weirdo. I'll bet she's not important at all--oh FFS it's anime you know damn well she's the protagonist.

2:33 - She has an umbrella jammed sideways in her pack. Do... do warships need umbrellas? Well, I guess they have hair now. And they don't want their hair messed up?

Anyway, this weird girl who practically has "protagonist" scrawled on her in neon signage utters "so beautiful." Well, I thought the sea was nicely done and the cliffs in the backgrou--oh. You're talking about the torpedo bomber Akagi launched.

2:48 - AH-HA! At 2:28 I thought I was misremembering! So, in the last shot, it looks like our protagonist is on land--maybe at the edge of a dock or something. But now... we zoom out as she looks inland...

Well, look for yourself.

So what the hell is the structure she's standing on, why does it exist...

And how does she get over to the land? (-1) for mind-f**king.

2:56 - New girl introduces herself to the admiral (who has a pink desk). Her name is Fubuki.

3:05 - "What should I do?" she says sadly. Err. Well, we don't know how long her inital conversation with the admiral went, but... you'd think he'd at least tell her where to get settled.

3:08 - Fortunately, Fubuki's confusion is dealt with thanks to an off-screen, "Umm..."

3:10 - Meet the Japanese Tier VI destroyer, Mutsuki! Also known as the loliest loli in the show (the game has some ships that are worse). Terrible ship in WoWS. The Mutsuki-class is the direct predecessor to the Fubukis, which were a major step ahead in destroyer design, despite being built just two years later. The Mutsukis are a mid-20s design (the 1920s; the shipgirl looks 12) but are basically an incremental improvement over ships that served in WW1.

This Mutsuki is a somewhat-endearing red/pink/purple-headed girl with purplish eyes and way too squeaky a voice. She is also the series chewtoy. That might be what makes her endearing; she's too pathetic to hate. As opposed to the ship in WoWS, which is pathetic and hated.

3:18 - Oh, so Fubuki knows she's being transferred to Torpedo Squadron Three. Did the admiral not give her any directions?

Don't fret, though... because Mutsuki is also in TorpRon Three (I'm going to use regular naval abbreviations because this shit takes too long as it is )

3:28 - Fubuki bows... and promptly dumps her entire backpack on the floor. Over her head, I guess? That had to be unpleasant.

3:29 - Giant penguin doll. In case you forgot this was anime.

3:36 - Mutsuki picks up the penguin and giggles... kinda adorably. And annoyingly. You know what, that rather nicely sums up the series. (+1) for accidental self-awareness.

3:40 - Much giggling. Very moe. Such kawaii. Hey, remember the scary evil monsters from the depths of the sea that were starving entire nations and wiped humanity from the sea?

Eh, we're not even five minutes in and we gotta meet our moe squad. I'll forgive tonal confusion for now.

3:46 - "I heard you were one of the Special Type destroyers..."

I just wanted to note that "tokugata kuchikukan" (Special Type destroyer) is oddly fun to say once you master it. Carry on!

3:55 - Two warships are complimenting each other on not being scary and their concern of being stuck with someone scary. YOU ARE IN THE SAME FLEET AS OOI. Yuri yandere nut is SCARY!

4:00 - Mutual giggles. No, keep the heart cold... don't let the moe warm it...

Oh, right. It's odd to hear Nonna of Pravda giggling and being silly. Sumire Uesaka is a very good actress indeed.

4:16 - First furo scene. It looks like some random brown-haired girl, Hana from GuP, and Yachiyo from Working!!. Oh, and now that it's paused, I can see another girl in one of the side baths but she has no real notable features.

4:34 - "Yuudachi-chan?"

Ahh, the infamous destroyer Yuudachi. A Shiratsuyu-class destroyer (itself a subset of the Hatsuharu class), she made her way into the history books for the fierce battle she put up at the Solomon Islands. I wonder how they'll handle--

4:37 - Oh, we'll make her airhead who bleats a catchphrase over and over! In fact, we'll make her verbal tic the very first word out of her mouth. Not even, "Hello, poi." Or "Nice to meet, poi." Just... "poi." (-3)

Now... in the game, Yuudachi has the verbal tic of "poi" in some of her lines, which is basically a verbal comma or a kind of "-ish." So... using the show's translation convention, "The tomato is reddish" in Japanese would be "the tomato is red, poi." Or, "Moff, you shouldn't, like, review this show" would "Moff, you shouldn't review this show poi." It can be used to indicate a lack of sureity, or just a verbal comma.

The reason they did this in the game was because the Battle of the Solomons was so chaotic that both Japanese and American records have some serious uncertainty to them about Yuudachi's role. What is known is she sank two destroyers and torpedoed the USS Portland. In addition, her engines were knocked out after mistook a US destroyer for a friendly vessel... she kept fighting despite being disabled, with the captain famously ordering that the crew hammocks be used as sails.

This, by the way, was mistaken for a white flag of surrender... while the ship was still fighting. So, when the ship was actually evacuated and flew an actual white flag, the captain of the Portland told his gunnery offier to "sink the son of a bitch," believing the ship had already violated the sanctity of the white flag and thus was setting another trap.

But in the show, she's a Dumb Blonde archetype who talks like a Valley Girl.

And there will be many, many more "poi"

4:48 - Yuudachi (to Fubuki): "You seem kinda plain."
Mutsuki: "Jeez, that's mean."

Daaaaaaaaaamn... sorry, I guess I forgot that they transmuted Yuudachi's savagery.

That said, there's also a historical nod in the "plainness" of Fubuki. Remember, the Fubuki-class was transformative. Within a few years of her launch, every new destroyer design was built to her standard. In addition, the Fubukis were the largest destroyer class built by the Imperial Japanese Navy until the late-war Matsu-class, which was basically a pared-down, cheap version intended to quickly replace losses through sheer numbers.

So, the Fubukis were mass-produced... and in the game, all of the Special Type destroyers have a very strong resemblance to each other. So, Fubuki looks plain... because she really does look like every single modern destroyer. She started the line. She is the progenitor. Bow to the Progenitor.

5:00 - Gigantic teddy bear with Yuudachi hair bow stuffed into a desk drawer. With Fail Tuba. It draws a smile. (+1)

5:05 - This happened:

5:18 - "We're all living here together." I know that site; you're too young for it. You're all too young for it. STOP THAT, MUTSUKI.

But yeah, all three girls have a bunk bed. This will lead to hilarious dialog later.

5:26 - Yuudachi: Loosen up, Mutsuki!
Mutsuki: Straighten up, Yuudachi!
Fubuki (thinking): They seem like good people!

5:27 - HOLY SHIT WHOSE HANDS ARE THOSE

5:27 - 5:29 - Mystery hands grope Fubuki's face for a couple seconds before, "So, this is the name ship of the Special Destroyers, huh?" Chin carressing happens before...

5:31 - Fubuki wheels around--the umbrella still jammed in her backpack and could have very easily taken an eye--to see... Boat Girl Helper. Err, I mean, the Light Cruiser Sendai.

5:34 - "She's a little unrefined, but cute!" Nope, that's going too far. (-1)

Don't be so creepy, Helper.

5:38 - This is the face of trauma.

5:41 - Mutsuki helpfully informs us--and Fubuki--that her molestor is also their commanding officer in TorpRon 3. And next door neighbor.

5:50 - Sendai firmly insists on referring to Fubuki as "Tokugata Kuchikukan"... even as Fubuki politely tells her that her name is Fubuki.

6:52 - "Do you like nighttime?" Not if it involves you and those grabby hands!

5:54 - "I... I don't dislike it." Poor thing is terrified.

5:58 - After shouting how wonderful night time is, Sendai starts stroking Fubuki's hair... despite Fubuki's vocal, if nonverbal, objections. And also cheers, "You and I are going to get along."

6:03 - "Still idiotically into night battles, huh?"

I never thought Yuudachi would be the voice of reason. (+1)

Oh, also, Japanese light cruisers were built around a doctrine of engaging US and British forces at night with torpedo attacks to whittle them down until there was parity. Reflecting this, Sendai fetishizes night battle. And that's her whole character so far!

6:07 - "I'm sorry my sister is causing trouble for you." Less apologizing, more pulling her off poor Fubuki, Jintsuu-san.

6:11 - "Where's Naka-chan?"

...Forget everything nice that I said about you, Mutuski. You die. You die and you go to hell.

6:16 - Naka is outside, several floors down, facing away from the dormitory... and you can still hear her screaming her introduction inside the destroyer room.

6:19 - "Kantai no idoru!" (-1)

BACK TO THE SCRAP YARD WITH YE, 2-4-11!

6:29 - "I'm sorry, both of my sisters are causing trouble." You should be sorry, Jintsuu. You should be.

6:33 - While we're meeting Fubuki, apparently the battle from the first couple minutes is still going, as we cut to a destroyer charging Kuma and nearly smashing into her.

6:39 - Meet Atago. Yes, that is her chest filling the entire screen, but her tits and her "Pan Paka Paaan!" at 6:40 is her entire character. (-1)

7:26 - Meet Tone, Shimakaze, Inazuma, Ikazuchi, and Kisaragi. Tone is the oldest, being a heavy cruiser... oddly, Shimakaze is staying behind her (she's the slutty bunny). I say oddly because her character is supposed to be obsessed with speed and she is portrayed as constantly deriding others as slow and out of her league. She'd normally have shot past Tone.

The actual Shimakaze was a one-off destroyer fitted with an experimental high pressure turbine. As a result, she was capable of speeds in excess of 40 knots. She was also very heavily armed, being a wartime design and learning from the harsh lessons of the early years of the war. However, she was far too expensive to be mass produced, and by that point, the naval war had already slipped from Japan's grasp.

So, the girl Shimakaze is also depicted as very lonely... with her brusque manners being a smokescreen for her depression and longing. In the show... she's a weird ditz and slacker. And massive fanservice.

7:29 - "You're so slow!" Ah, there it is. Well, I did just criticize the show for leaving it out... so... (+0.5)

7:34 - Kisaragi is complaining that running is damaging her hair. This annoys me. (-1)

7:38 - Mutsuki cheers on Kisaragi. Both are Mutsuki-class ships, but due to some oddities in construction, it was the Kisaragi who was finished and launched first. So, she's drawn as slightly older and larger than Mutsuki, who in turn looks up to her younger sister as an elder (this is expanded more later).

7:44 - "This is, like, the classroom." Yep, they're schoolgirls in practice as well as age.

7:56 - The class schedule reads "Torpedoes, drills, crafts." I wish I could've taken those classes. I just had woodshop and Home Ec and studio arts. And Spanish class.

8:01 - Fubuki asks how many real fights her roommates have been in. The senpais always clean up.

8:20 - Fubuki lies and randomly signs with her fingers when asked how many she's been in (it's none). Yuudachi and Mutsuki read it as twenty and are impressed.

8:35 - Fortunately, the drone of planes distracts them and they rush to the window to watch the First Carrier Division (1CarDiv) have a drill.

8:42 - Fubuki has heard of the First CarDiv! Kaga and Akagi apparently fought dozens of Abyssals with a single fleet (cut to some lovely art of them standing over a burning, smoky sea) and winning without taking any damage.

Not bad.

8:55 - Fubuki's face can only be described as rapturous as she realizes Akagi and Kaga are posted to the same base as her. It's too cute, dammit! (+1)

9:08 - The three destroyer girls sneak over the carrier dorms to watch Akagi and Kaga practice kyuudo. Somehow, there are three targets hung on poles stuck in the ocean... a tennis court or something... and then the carriers shoot from a gallery. Oh, yeah, you remember they shoot arrows, right? But they're aircraft carriers... right?

Right?

9:17 - Oh, now it makes sense! The arrows magically transform into armed aircraft in a flash of yellow magic.

...Wait, what?!

9:26 - And so it begins... "That's the pride of the First Carrier Fleet, the Fleet Carrier Akagi-senpai."

WHY IS SHE AND SHE ALONE SENPAI?! It's always Kaga-san but Akagi-senpai!

9:32 - "Akagi-senpai..." with reddened cheeks.

Oh, and apparently their archery technique is shit but whatever. I don't know anything about that.

On the other hand, Akagi has the same VA as Inami Mahiru.

9:50 - Kaga is smiling. +1 to Kaga Smile Counter

9:52 - Busted!

9:55 - Eighteen hundred tonne destroyer smacks into a tree branch. TREE WINS. (+1)

10:24 - "I hope we can fight in the same fleet someday." Says the war hero to the new girl. Cue the slavering hero worship.

10:31 - And cut to Cafe Mamiya.

10:35 - That is a parfait that would quench even Kyokou's hunger. Maybe that really was Yachiyo in the tub.

10:45 - Fubuki repeats what Akagi said to her while sparkling.

10:47 - "Nico!"

10:48 - "Nico?" NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

10:49 - It takes Mutsuki to realize Fubuki is completely spaced out.

10:51 - Attempt to snap Fubuki out of it by talking about Akagi: MISSION FAILED

10:56 - Attempt to snap Fubuki out of it by JABBING HER IN THE EYE: Success, but requires two pokes

10:58 - Fubuki realizes a giant parfait is in front of her and she's in a cafe. Akagi-senpai must be one hell of a drug.

Maybe that's why all of the weebs want her? Meh. Kaga is more suitable waifu material, if you must go with carriers at all.

11:04 - "You worry too much, Oicchi."
Oh no...

11:07 - "I just got out of my seat for a second!"
It's them.

11:09 - "You promised that when you were going away, you'd say something!"
And welcome to the Kitakami/Ooi thread.

11:21 - An apology fruit slice appears!

11:25 - It's super effective!

So, going back to 11:09... when I first saw this, I actually thought that Ooi was blind and Kitakami's casual dismissal ("Did I [say I'd say something if I left]?" "Jeez!" "Fine... I'm sorry *fruit*") was a little callous.

Later I realized Ooi is just a total Yan.

11:26 - "That's Kitakami-san and Ooi-san."
"When they're together, it's best not to talk to them."

11:37 - Alarm goes off!

11:59 - An attack! With Carrier Task Force One (Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Souryu with Inazuma and Ikazuchi escorting), Support Fleet Two (Kongou, Hiei, Mogami, Yuubari, Akatsuki, and Hibiki), and Torpedo Squadron Three (Sendai, Jintsuu, Naka, Yuudachi, Mutsuki, and Fubuki)

That's a lot of metal...

12:10 - But you need that to take out an Abyssal base, as Nagato explains

12:13 - WTF, Kirishima wears her glasses in the bath?

12:36 - Kongou speaks. "OooOOOhhh! I'm getting expatriated!"

12:38 - And Hiei correctly responds, "BITCH DAT DON'T MAKE A LICK O' SENSE"

13:08 - "Remember this, everyone. Arrogance is absolutely forbidden."

13:11 - Akatsuki voices my thoughts. "Who is she talking to?"
Of course, being the elegant lady she is... she voices them with fewer expletives, invectives, and imprecations.

13:12 - "Khorosho."
...What. No, really. What is "very well," Hibiki. Or Nonna. Because, well, if a character is gonna speak Russian in an anime... you get Sumire Uesaka. I think she voices half of the ships at this point.

And she uses a slightly higher Nonna voice for our Hibiki-chan.

But yeah, really... "Arrogance is absolutely forbidden." Nice thought, but what the f**k does it actually mean and what does it have to do with operational orders? You want arrogance? Spouting random platitudes during a military briefing. (-1)

13:24 - The epic shipgirl launching sequence. You can see where the money went.

13:40 - And Fubuki is freaking out because she never has been on the water as they're lowered toward the launching platforms.

14:34 - So when a shipgirl launches for a battle, she jumps on a glowing button. The floor splits apart, and the epic music swells (+1) , drive units attach around her ankles... as a destroyer, Fubuki is fitted with a pair of torpedo turrets which mount mid-thigh and strap themselves on. The process also involves some kind of updraft that flutters her skirt, shirt, and hair. Nothing squicky yet, though.

14:57 - A light turns green and beeps... followed by the shipgirl in that lane shooting down a bitchin' water slide like she's going down a ski slope. Looks fun!

15:00 - Until Fubuki does it, flailing and screaming the whole way down. Also, paused to write this at a good point... I really have to admire the animation in this sequence. (+1)

15:04 - Oh... bad landing. And Fubuki goes splash.

15:06 - And then she's comically ejected from the water. Maybe the boots have some kind of antigrav? (+1)

15:10 - Fubuki's name comes up on a card and a pair of giant gears start spinning. These, in turn, pull a pair of chains attached to a backpack with a smokestack and mast. (+1)

15:22 - Panty shot. (-3)

15:24 - Again. (-3)

15:26 - Fubuki is violently slammed in the back by this heavy-looking pack, with somehow snakes straps over her shoulders and under her arms.

15:28 - ...I paused to describe the action. Instead, panty shot. And apparently on a wedgie too. (-4)

15:28 - The gun turret is hand-held and swung out a chain. I guess... grab it or else?

Also, is the ammunition stored in the hand-held gun? Is it somewhere in her pack? Is it powered by the same magic that turns arrows into planes so these ships have unlimited cannon ammunition?

Also, Fubuki's expression is pretty badass right here. But only half a point because I'm still pissed over the panty shots. (+0.5)

15:30-poi - Went kinda MMD animation for an epic 3D pan. Also, panty shot (-1) and now the badass expression is more "doe in headlights."

15:43 - Now the carriers launch. MOAR BADASS MUSIC (+1)

15:55 - Wait, they don't have backpacks! Just a bow. Not even any arrows or a quiver!

15:56 - Akagi-senpai heils OMG SEASON TWO BISMARCK CONFIRMED

16:08 - Ah. Instead of packs, they get flight decks hurled at them and catch them on their arms. (+1)

16:11 - And then their quivers catch on hooks on the backs of their clothes. And... the arrows magically spawn. Whatever, it looks and sounds freaking amazing. (+2)

16:34 - Fubuki staggers around and gets yelled at. Sendai again calls her "Special Type Destroyer." Mutsuki, being a decent sort (which is why she suffers), asks if her new roommate is okay while Yuudachi asks if something is malfunctioning.

16:52 - It takes Jintsuu to figure out Fubuki has never done this before, and asks. This is the response.

HERRPA DERRPA DURRRRR (+1)

16:55 - Pan to the sky and the entire squadron screaming, "YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IN BATTLE?!"

17:28 - Yep, the admiral sent out an untested ship--who can't even manage to control her outfit sufficiently to be combat capable... or seaworthy--into a critical operation to knock out a major enemy base that poses a direct threat to the naval base. With numerous other destroyers available.

And the shipgirls call him on being an irresponsible shithat. (+1)

18:07 - You know, I may--and will absolutely continue to--give Naka shit... but she totally scores the first kill of the op. Nice torps, Naka. Nice torps.

19:03 - A Japanese schoolgirl takes to firing a pair of 127mm cannons better than a New York Times reporter apparently does to firing a single shot from a 5.56mm semiautomatic rifle. Almost as if his reaction was deliberately exaggerated and overplayed for the sake of scoring ideological points.

...Wait, sorry. Anime thread. Politics go elsewhere.

19:19 - Yuudachi says only "poi" twice in rapid succession (the shell hit and in acknowledgement to Sendai). This annoys me. (-1)

19:30 - 19:33 - BAAUUURRRRNNNINGGUUUI RAAAAABBUUUU
19:44 - Mogami takes a hit... and nearly shows some right nipple. Fanservice damage!

19:55 - Apparently the Abyssals create a massive dark pall over the tiny little rock where their main unit is based? wat

And, oh yeah, the enemy base is personified as a humanoid female. With a BIG ASS gun.

20:04 - "I WILL EAT YOUR FAAAAAAAAAAAAACE" is what I assume that Abyssal growl translates to.

20:05 - 20:10 - The splash makes Fubuki bounce ass-over-teakettle across the surface. I'm sure tere's a panty shot in there, but unlike the others, if I don't directly see the sketchy ecchi bullshit...

20:15 - *Jaws theme*

20:16 - Bah. Someone else shot the shark Abyssal. Fubuki had plenty of time to snarl, "SMILE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!"

Maybe in Season 2.

20:29 - Ah, the shot didn't kill the Abyssal. So, it comes back around... charges... so Fubuki points her turret at it, and then closes her eyes while squealing, "Please hit them!"

20:33 - You missed.

20:34 - The visual of the Abyssal about to EAT our protagonist.. with the music... eh, pretty well done. (+1)

20:42 - DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

By the way, a fighter strafing a destroyer would not be sufficient to disable it. Just, you know, FYI. Sure, it's nice that Akagi's fighter sasved Fubuki from having her face ripped off... well, you know, George Lucas got away with it. I'll let Akagi have it this once.

21:15 - And now we find out the airplanes are flown... by scowling chibi fairies. *snrk* (+1)

This battle sequence is just... pretty awesome. (+3)

22:46 - "THE SHIELD IS DOWN! COMMENCE ATTACK ON THE ANIME LADY!"

22:57 - She apparently exploded like a nuke.

23:04 - Aaaaaaaand Fubuki's Akagi complex is cemented.

23:47 - End credits music, appropriately called "Fubuki."

24:19 - "I've decided... I'm going to do my best! I'll get strong... and someday... someday, I'll be Akagi-san's escort!"

HOLY SHIT THEY DIDN'T SAY SENPAI!

Nope, the caption just doesn't match the dialog. Fubuki speaks "Akagi-senpai."

And as Abridged!Mutsuki said... "Excellent choice, assclown!"

Final Score: 0 It broke even between positives and negatives... which surprised me. I hope you found this entertaining, at least. And maybe understand a little about why this show, which has such problems, still... has this draw to it.

I also have way more appreciation for what we've asked Sipia to do. Damn. Anyway... I'll keep going with KanColle if you guys want. It both gets better, and worse. Or check it out for yourselves and don't let the weird guy with the military history hobby (and, yeah, I'm at least on the outskirts of the target demographic, which might explain the draw for me) tell you what to think.

Or do let Moff tell you what to think. Do as Moff commands. Moff is your friend and will only lead you to good things.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 06-18-2016 @ 05:22 PM).]

posted 06-18-16 05:48 PM CT (US)     846 / 1801  
I'm so happy for you Moff

posted 06-18-16 06:11 PM CT (US)     847 / 1801  

posted 06-19-16 01:10 AM CT (US)     848 / 1801  
TL;DR, too many comments, -15 points.

posted 06-19-16 02:24 AM CT (US)     849 / 1801  
...Woooow. I didn't expect you to have that much commentary.

That said, quantity isn't always better. I mean, I like writing and reading walls of text as much as the next nerd, but you're taking it a bit too far. Try to condense what you have to say down a bit, so you get to the point faster. Brevity is the soul of wit and all that. And also, if you don't have anything to comment, there's really no need to mention it. Like for instance,
11:26 - "That's Kitakami-san and Ooi-san."
"When they're together, it's best not to talk to them."

11:37 - Alarm goes off!

11:59 - An attack! With Carrier Task Force One (Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Souryu with Inazuma and Ikazuchi escorting), Support Fleet Two (Kongou, Hiei, Mogami, Yuubari, Akatsuki, and Hibiki), and Torpedo Squadron Three (Sendai, Jintsuu, Naka, Yuudachi, Mutsuki, and Fubuki)
That's a lot of words, but you're not really saying anything, are you?

DO ANOTHER TAKE AND GET IT RIGHT.

tl;dr version: tl;dr.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 06-19-16 09:45 AM CT (US)     850 / 1801  
I HAVE LET YOU DOWN, SIPIA-SENPAI! JIKAI GANBARIMASU!

One day, I will become Sipia-senpai's escort ship!

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 06-19-2016 @ 09:46 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 32 33 34 35 36 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » A Thread for the Appreciation of Anime
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames