You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 36 37 38 39 40 ··· 50  Next Page »
posted 07-04-15 04:56 PM CT (US)   

Welcome to the Designer's Tavern! After switching owners twice before and undergoing some time-consuming renovations, the tavern is now in our capable hands. Who are we? That's a good question! We are HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday, your benevolent oligarchs hosts! Established by SonicShadow in 2005, taken over by Matt LiVecchi in 2009, and passed on to Lord Basse in 2010, the tavern is a place for the SD&M community to sit down, relax and have a sip of an imaginary pint of ale. This is the place for general discussion on scenario design; talk about whatever you want as long as it's related to scenario design, downloads in the Blacksmith, and the like. If you want to say something totally unrelated to scenario design, the Town's Crier is a fine place to go to instead.

Seminars_on_Designing_and_Trigger Tricks

Have a new discovery you want to share with the world? A design trick, a good way to design a fortress, or a trigger system? Perhaps you feel the need to address what you think is a problem with designing? Contact us via email or post a reply with the article! It doesn't have to be something brand new, but it shouldn't be something of common knowledge either, like "A Guide on Painting Water on your Map" (though that can propagate some interesting discussion in of itself)! Write a paragraph or three, add a screenshot and send it off, and we'll make sure it gets up here.

Past seminars:

Designing a realistic forest, by HockeySam18

Current seminar:

Utilizing off-grid placement to its full potential, by Mr Wednesday

Off grid placement is the most powerful tool to come along since Data editing. I opened AoKTS three times when doing my PTC entry, compared to hundreds or thousands of times when doing The Quiet Dawn. While all the effects I used in Smile No More (and that screenshot) were technically possible before, the simple truth is no one would ever have done them. When covering the Asian monastery to get only the statue, I could select trees that had the exact shape as the outline of the statue (or close enough) and essentially just paint over the stuff I didn't want. To do that once with AoKTS would have taken probably a couple days. I did it in dozens of spots.

Designers haven't really picked up on the full power of this yet I don't think. AoK has always had a very limited set of graphics, and we use the closest approximation to represent everything we don't have.

Except now, people need to start thinking of all the graphics as just 2D images. If any part of a graphic can represent what you want, or any combination of parts, you can make it happen. In that screenshot, the obvious choice for a treehouse is the Outpost. The sea tower is the next thing you logically think of. But the best looking part might be the Archery range, which is a perfect example of using one quarter of a graphic or less, and essentially making the rest disappear.

The only thing that matters anymore is the front image essentially, which consists of whatever parts are showing from all the images.

I'd caution that 99% of this is depth perception, so watch the shadows, where the bases hit the terrain, etc. Make sure there isn't anything showing that breaks the illusions you are creating.

Playtesters and Other Requests:

Feel free to ask here, I will add your request to the topic post if it doesn't get fulfilled quickly. Go ahead and link your project thread as well if you like!

Help with AI Scripting for Custom Scenarios

For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario.

Current Projects and Screenshots:

We'd love to see screenshots and hear teasers from your current projects or whatever you've felt like working on. Feel free to post them and we'll start up a list below!

- Storm on the Steppe - by HockeySam18

- The Battle of Senc Tor - by Aristeides

- Wrath of the Traibs - by Possidon

- Aethelflaed Modification and Campaign - by Mash

- Paradise Lost Remastered - by Devastator

- Pirate's Treasure - by PresterJohn

- Barbarossa - the campaign - by Paul_TD

Tavern Staff:
Owners - HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday
Patron and Resident Viking - Leif Ericson
President of the Board - Dead_End
Board Members - Sebastien and John the Late
Chef - Major Helper

Staff:
Prester John
Miathemother

Menu:
Steak and ale pie
Rack of lamb
Grilled venison
Roasted iron boar
Spam
Vegetable medley

Drinks:
Glass of wine
Pint of ale
Bucket of ale
Tub of mead
Cider
Tea
Coffee
Guarana

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 04-01-2021 @ 05:19 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-17-17 11:52 AM CT (US)     1296 / 1739  
@Matt:

Yes. I don't know the full details like scripter would, but using up-effect works by making tech effects. So essentially, you're creating and researching a technology that effects that unit ID or class ID. So using up-effect 0,0,4,0,30,1 would set all archers and any archer after that to have 30 HP by using a tech effect.

Alternatively, you can have the same effect on an individual unit by using up-attribute in a change object name trigger. This does the same thing as up-effect but for the selected units only.

With Huskarls you would possibly want two up-effects that would effect both the castle created unit and the barracks created unit (as they're separate in the data file due to the way Train Location works and can only have one set location)

@Basse:

Yes. You can use Research Technology with the right value in the "number" field (I can't remember the exact values right now. There's one to enable the tech and one to force-research the tech (so you can stack them)) So you can find the right Tech ID and force research it for say, britains, to give them the viking HP buff.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
posted 08-17-17 02:33 PM CT (US)     1297 / 1739  
Ahh, I had read them backwards then. I assumed up-effect did single units and up-attribute did unit lines.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but this is fairly incredible. It's essentially eliminated the need for data modding for basic changes.

Hmm. I wonder if there is an up-effect command for changing the training slot of a unit. In theory if that were so you could have multiple UU's at a castle.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 08-17-17 03:16 PM CT (US)     1298 / 1739  
There is, and you can

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 08-17-17 04:24 PM CT (US)     1299 / 1739  
So how do you go about figuring out the up-effects? I did look through the files provided in the download but dont see lists of effects.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 08-17-17 09:24 PM CT (US)     1300 / 1739  
Hi! You can find the list of effect ids and other details in UserPatchConst.rms in the Reference/Scripting folder of the download zip (the underlying system works for both rms and scx). CustomScenario.txt shows how the rms effect_amount converts to scx up-effect. Any tech effect that you can make on the Effects tab of A.G.E. can work from rms/scx in this way.

One important distinction between up-effect and up-attribute is that up-attribute applies only to specific units and separates them from future research like other "Change Object HP" style trigger effects, while up-effect works more like a normal tech and does not prevent future research from applying to affected units. The other important difference is that up-effect can perform all tech effects and isn't limited to object attribute changes, so up-effect can directly change player resources without tributes, enable/disable units and techs, and everything else that techs can do. It can also use the new multi-targeting tech effects that apply the normal tech effects 0-9 to ally, neutral, and enemy players of the affected player: 10-19: apply effects 0-9 to self + allies, 20-29: apply effects 0-9 to enemies, 30-39: apply effects 0-9 to neutral.

It would be great if there was a little app to generate these effect lines (maybe a button could be added at the bottom of the Effect editor in a.g.e. to convert the current effect to up-effect format for copy/paste or something). I'm terrible with writing documentation, so hopefully, a more clear guide can be made soon lol

Standard tech effect list:
SET_ATTRIBUTE 0
ADD_ATTRIBUTE 4
MUL_ATTRIBUTE 5
MOD_RESOURCE 1
MUL_RESOURCE 6
SET_TECH_COST 100
ADD_TECH_COST 101
MOD_TECH_TIME 103
ENABLE_OBJECT 2
UPGRADE_UNIT 3
DISABLE_TECH 102
ENABLE_TECH 7
MODIFY_TECH 8
SET_PLAYER_DATA 9

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 08-17-2017 @ 09:38 PM).]

posted 08-17-17 09:34 PM CT (US)     1301 / 1739  
Thanks, i saw that file but i thoughts its *.rms extension meant it was a random map.
I'm terrible with writing documentation, so hopefully, a more clear guide can be made soon lol
I probably could be better at reading though, the references to random map in the materiel were throwing me off. The scope of what seems to be possible is mindboggling and also hard to process due to its magnitude.

Touching again on a subject from earlier with research technology with 5 value, the unfortunate thing at the moment is that modifications to the tech tree are quite limited due to it resetting everytime a new change is introduced.
To modify object tech attributes in an scx, please note the following:.......- this can be computationally expensive, so please consider performance
Is this a one time performance hit or something that is ongoing requiring constant cpu resources?

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-17-2017 @ 10:07 PM).]

posted 08-17-17 10:27 PM CT (US)     1302 / 1739  
For performance, it would be best to avoid a constantly looping set of tech effects of any kind, whether that's Research Technology:0 or up-effect/up-attribute. If you're not looping the effect triggers excessively and flooding the commands, it's not a problem. Each command is a one-time thing, so there's no ongoing issue unless the triggers are executing continuously. For the tech tree conflicts, yes, that's an unfortunate issue, but custom techs from up-effect can get around that if you don't require clickable tech buttons.
posted 08-17-17 10:57 PM CT (US)     1303 / 1739  
A one time hit is perfect, thats no problem. Thanks

posted 08-18-17 12:34 PM CT (US)     1304 / 1739  
The restrictions of text quantity on the scouts report page is brutal! Having to reformat and shrink everything to fit. I could have sworn ive seen scenarios with bigger scouts report than mine too.

posted 08-19-17 09:24 AM CT (US)     1305 / 1739  
@Scripter and anyone really.

This information should help anyone doing up-effects if they need a good reference. I also got a list of all the resources.

For classes, I think UP uses them differently. Perhaps Scripter could do something to change the way classes are handled.

From AGE:

Effect command types;

Attributes;

Resources;

Classes;

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-19-2017 @ 09:27 AM).]

posted 08-19-17 09:57 AM CT (US)     1306 / 1739  
Oh, for classes, just add 900 to the class id, so to apply a up-effect to villager class 4, you would use 904 for the type, etc.
In v1.5, ids 0-899 and 1000-1959 (new) are available for objects, while 900-999 are reserved for classes and counting data as ES originally designed.

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 08-19-2017 @ 10:00 AM).]

posted 08-19-17 09:59 AM CT (US)     1307 / 1739  
Thanks for creating that tanks!

I was trying to modify armour values and was having some confusion. for example "up-effect 0,0,38,8,8,1" this does modify the Knights armour rating but not by the amount expected (+5, not +8...though the total value does result in 8 armour) but the confusing thing to me is how to modify pierce armor? And whats up with the "types 50-80"? Is that referring to different types of armour, like anti cavalry, building armour, etc etc?

Also is their some way to add the effect without the (2+6) visual? For example an Archer with base 5 armor with no + sign. I made a trigger for increasing tower garrison quantity and changed the base value as seen ingame successfully without a 5+15 visual. But maybe for unit attack, range, armour it is unavoidable?

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-19-2017 @ 01:27 PM).]

posted 08-19-17 05:11 PM CT (US)     1308 / 1739  
Okay so -- Types refers to the Unit Type, specifically in the data. You can see it here:

Each unit in the data has a "Type" which tells the game's code how to handle the differences in unit. It's part of the reason why buildings snap to the map grid whilst units can move freely, for example. here's the full list (Taken from AGE) --

On the topic of displaying values without the "+":

Armor, Attack and Range values (And Reload Time, but I think that's an unused thing.) have two separate values. The actual value, and the Shown value. This was specifically done to avoid confusion between upgraded and non-upgraded units, by showing their upgraded stats as "+/-" bonuses next to their original stats.

With UP, you can increase the Shown values with the attributes ATTR_SHOWN_ATTACK (46), ATTR_SHOWN_RANGE (47), ATTR_SHOWN_MELEE_ARMOR (48) and ATTR_SHOWN_PIERCE_ARMOR (49). If you have a Shown value that's higher than the actual value, your unit might say something like "10-7" if you set Shown attack on a spearman to 10 without changing its actual damage values.

On the topic of changing specific armor/attack types:

I asked similar questions and Scripter gave me this great piece of information:

For attack/armor types:

@ Scripter if you can answer this:
How can I increase the amount of resources an object holds?
EG: I want a Stone Mine to hold 800 Stone. I've tried ADD_ATTRIBUTE (4), SET_ATTRIBUTE (0), MOD_RESOURCE (1), GAIA_SET_ATTRIBUTE (-1) and GAIA_MOD_RESOURCE (-2) for Storage Value (attribute 21), but it never seems to work. (using something like: up-effect 0,0,102,21,800,1)

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-19-2017 @ 05:23 PM).]

posted 08-19-17 06:45 PM CT (US)     1309 / 1739  
On the topic of changing specific armor/attack types:

I asked similar questions and Scripter gave me this great piece of information:
Thats great, I managed to do both the things i wanted and more, now that i understand that functionality better. And by understand, i mean barely comprehending the posts with smoke coming out of my ears

Thanks

posted 08-19-17 08:43 PM CT (US)     1310 / 1739  
BF_Tanks, your up-effect 0,0,102,21,800,1 is correct. However, the ATTR_STORAGE_VALUE is only used by the game when creating new objects. It then copies that value to the object's own data, so it can be reduced over time as it's gathered without impacting the general type data. In other words, if you were to "Create Object" a stone mine after that effect, it would have 800 stone, but existing mines would not be affected, since the trigger executes after the game has already started. I'll see if there's a way to force an update to override existing objects or change them before creation.

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 08-19-2017 @ 09:04 PM).]

posted 08-20-17 05:49 AM CT (US)     1311 / 1739  
Ahh Okay, I'll try that out then, thanks Scripter!

posted 08-20-17 09:32 AM CT (US)     1312 / 1739  
Very weird behavior, this line "up-effect 0,0,38,8,516,1" gives a knight 4 pierce armour correctly, resulting in a 2+2 display. The exact same line "up-effect 0,0,93,8,516,1" does something entirely different. This spearman receives a 0+4 modifier to his melee armour instead. This same line works fine on a men at arms too, giving it 0+4 pierce armour just like the knight.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-20-2017 @ 09:33 AM).]

posted 08-20-17 10:52 AM CT (US)     1313 / 1739  
Because you're using SET instead of ADD.

SET goes off the INDEX of the value. On the spearman, the attack values go like this:

So, if you want to SET the Melee damage, you need to multiply 256 by 3, and add the specific value you want. So you do 256*3 (768) and then +5 (if you want him to have 5 Melee Attack)

This works the same for armor:
You're multiplying 256 by 2 and getting 512, which takes you to Index 2 of the armor list and adding 4. On a Knight, Pierce Armor is Index 2, but on a Spearman, Index 2 is Melee Armor.

Here's the knight's armor values:

And here's the Spearman's armor values:

See the difference?
It goes "Index # - Amount: # - Class #"

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-20-2017 @ 10:56 AM).]

posted 08-20-17 11:15 AM CT (US)     1314 / 1739  
Thank you for trying to explain and hopefully others get it and can use it, but what im seeing is that for usage the way i want, it would simply make more sense to use geniedit and distribute a data file. Therefore i will use other means to achieve stat modifications, such as stacking blacksmith techs. For HP change its simple enough so thats helpfull at least.

It simply isnt worth my development time to spend it figuring out advanced trigger scripting when i can achieve a "good enough" effect and invest the time elsewhere. Perhaps i am just exceptionally dense...

posted 08-20-17 03:43 PM CT (US)     1315 / 1739  
The expanse of new possibilities certainly brings us to an intriguing crossroads. I'll be curious to see where the line is drawn between gimmicks and effective mechanics, and how this affects which projects do and do not end up finished.

I seem to recall a similar situation when I first started reading these forums roughly a decade ago, which was around the time that modding was becoming far easier than before and many designers pushed ever farther in their quest to essentially reinvent the wheel

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 08-20-17 07:29 PM CT (US)     1316 / 1739  
My current project utilises a lot of UP functionality.

@Cataphract:
Using the SET method is not very intuitive, no. The maths involved is both confusing and restrictive. If a simple increase is what you want, then you should look at using ADD instead of SET, or -- as you rightly pointed out -- stacking blacksmith techs.

posted 08-20-17 07:54 PM CT (US)     1317 / 1739  
My scenario is quite dependent on UP features, but for the more advanced features like this scripting I think it will be left to those people who have an easier time grasping them. I will probably only use it sparingly in key situations moving forward.

posted 08-20-17 09:38 PM CT (US)     1318 / 1739  
I have begun working on a scenario that will probably use a dozen or so effects. I think as long as the up features contribute to gameplay without complicating it, then they will be a good thing.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 08-21-17 07:19 AM CT (US)     1319 / 1739  
It's unfortunate that ES handled the attack and armor values in such a strange way lol. I remember in older versions of A.G.E., there was a little textbox on the tech effect editing tab that showed the numeric value for those while you were editing attack or armor, but that number was only valid for Add and not Set. It would be great if that box could be brought back or even a full up-effect line that could be copy/pasted from the current effect that you're working on.

http://i.imgur.com/dIiOJZC.png

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 08-21-2017 @ 07:21 AM).]

posted 08-21-17 10:44 AM CT (US)     1320 / 1739  
Why not make a suggestion in the AGE thread in the mod discussion forum?

posted 08-22-17 05:27 PM CT (US)     1321 / 1739  
There is a problem I've been having with the editor for several years now. I think it started when I upgraded to Windows 8 really, and I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered it; I don't think I've ever heard it brought up.

Basically, every single text box in the editor - instructions screens, effects, conditions, etc - is completely black all the time, except for the precise moment that you type a letter, or if you hold the cursor above it. It's like the text is only visible for a single frame.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way to solve it?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-22-17 05:30 PM CT (US)     1322 / 1739  
I know exactly what you mean, and it is typo heaven. NowhereT saved my sanity when he told me that leaving the cursor on the edge of the textbox would make everything readable, but it seems you already know about that.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 08-22-17 05:55 PM CT (US)     1323 / 1739  
Yeah, it's just awful. Never being able to just click on an effect to see what timer you used and things like that is still enormously frustrating. I was hoping this would be one of those issues fixed by the UserPatch, but so far my prayers have not been answered.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-22-17 07:13 PM CT (US)     1324 / 1739  
I'm still on Windows 7, so I haven't seen this, but I remember the discussion we had about this before.

Given how remarkably well the UserPatch has been able to deal with the other issues relating to running a 1990s game on newer operating systems and graphics technology, I'm hopeful that there is a solution to this as well.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 08-22-17 09:21 PM CT (US)     1325 / 1739  
I should add another line to my signature; "Making Custom AI is stupid!" So im having trouble making them fight back while marching to their attack destination. They love letting my knights just whittle them down while they march on ever bravely.

posted 08-22-17 10:05 PM CT (US)     1326 / 1739  
Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way to solve it?
Downgrade back to Windows 7, like I did. Nothing tampers with my copy of AoK. Nothing!
posted 08-22-17 10:59 PM CT (US)     1327 / 1739  
In UP you can use patrol-attack, which is probably the best method that I know of. TSA (town-size-attack) is good, too.

You can even use patrol-attack with monks

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 08-22-2017 @ 10:59 PM).]

posted 08-23-17 00:10 AM CT (US)     1328 / 1739  
Lief linked me to the town size attack article a number of months ago and i never got around to trying it-ill try to play around with it on a blank map. I tried messing with patrol-attack a bit by looking at other AI to see how they implement it but didnt get anywhere. Tomorrows project i guess.

My game is sort of functional as is, but it could certainly be improved. I started with 1302s aibuilder since i knew zero and cobbled together a working fighting AI by studying bassi scenarios. So it trains units(and increases them over time), pretends to have an economy(ill add triggers later so if it loses the eco it loses military capacity ) and is pretty good at attacking in large numbers. One of the AI makes a lag spike when it gathers its troops though which is a problem i think with its group form distance.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-23-2017 @ 00:17 AM).]

posted 08-23-17 07:57 AM CT (US)     1329 / 1739  
Downgrade back to Windows 7, like I did. Nothing tampers with my copy of AoK. Nothing!
I have a Windows 7 laptop so I could use that, but I much prefer using a desktop computer for designing and modding/photoshopping and such. So I will just have to keep suffering.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-23-17 08:48 AM CT (US)     1330 / 1739  
Hmm, does that textbox issue occur even with windowed mode enabled?

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 08-23-2017 @ 08:49 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 36 37 38 39 40 ··· 50  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames