You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Defend the Spot Competition 2016 - Results in!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18  Next Page »
posted 01-02-16 01:56 PM CT (US)   

Welcome to the fourth Defend the Spot Scenario Design Competition (DtS competition). Held two years back to back in 2007 and 2008 and then again in 2013, it has been three years since it was held. We hope for many excellent entries. This type of competition is not very difficult, so it is an excellent way for newer designers to show off their creativity. Don't hesitate to join!

So, what is a "Defend the Spot" scenario? Simple. The basic premise that you have to hold out for a while in a limited area against superior forces. The most common type of DtS scenario is a defense of a fortified castle or city against hordes of invaders, but a DtS can be the defense of anything - a forest village, a newly-found treasure, a hill during a surprise attack, the king's ship in the middle of the sea - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination!

For good examples of DtS scenarios, check out these scenarios:

Battle of Eilean Donnain - by Lildbehr (winner of the 2013 DtS Competition)
Assault on Killgary - by White Champion (winner of the 2008 DtS Competition)
Defend the Island 4 - by Lord Basse (winner of the 2007 DtS Competition)
Blood of the Bear - by Mashek
The Dogs of War - by Night Conqueror

Rules:

• Only one entry per forummer. No teams.

• There are no restrictions on styles - you can have fixed force, build and destroy, even role playing defend the spot games. Your scenario cannot be wholly a cutscene, however.

• You may not enter a file that has been previously submitted to the Blacksmith.

• The game must be a single player game. No multiplayer.

• The Forgotten and African Kingdoms expansions to the HD Edition are allowed, as is the use of the UserPatch.

• Any game modifications are allowed. Trigger Studio, data mods, graphics mods, language file edits, and other file modifications are allowed.

Deadline:

All entries must be submitted to the Blacksmith by 11:59 forum time (CST), March 28, 2016. Submit in campaign (.cpx) format.

Please do not add the prefix "DTS16" to the title of your entries. Instead, please post the tracking number (5-digit file number) of your entry in this thread when you have submitted it.

Refer to the Scenario Design FAQ if you have questions regarding the uploading of files.

Judging:

Traditionally this contest has been a community-led contest. While the staff is hosting it this year, we are encouraging community members to be the judges. If you are interested on being a judge, sign up in the thread.

Judges:

1. HockeySam18
2. Jan dc

The maps will be judged out of 50 points in the following categories:

Playability: 15
Creativity and Story/Instructions: 15
Map Design: 10
Balance: 10

Contestants: (the names of those that have submitted entries are in bold)

John the Late
CarolKarine
Al_Kharn the Great
Arnas
MrMew
Mr Wednesday
GuardianReborn
King Steffen
Lildbehr
Zetnus
Nowhere
Draconian Devil
Darth Sarek
PresterJohn
devagrawal09
Defibrilator
Fundey
jmcfav
Aspirinsmurf
Knaber
DelCrosB
andrscs
Possidon
Jan dc
Muhammad Mirza
cartoon_paperboy
Mash
Schwarz_Lizard
TriRem
D4Ra4Aracks111
Aetherea
TheDumbLegionary
HellKnight61
GranCalabaza

Results:

1st Mash: 49 + 49 = 98/100
2nd Al_Kharn the Great: 46 + 48 = 94/100
3rd DelCrosB: 43 + 42.5 = 85.5/100
4th Darth Sarek: 45 + 34 = 79/100
5th MrMew: 42 + 33 = 75/100
6th Lildbehr: 38 + 33 = 71/100
7th King Steffen: 34 + 33 = 67/100
8th cartoon_paperboy: 38 + 23.5 = 61.5/100
9th D4Ra4Aracks111: 30 + 15 = 45/100
10th Muhammad Mirza: 24 + 15 = 39/100
11th GranCalabaza: 16 + 12 = 28/100
12th HellKnight61: 19 + 8 = 27/100

Congratulations to the winners and all of the contestants on a strong effort!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 04-26-2016 @ 02:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-29-16 06:41 AM CT (US)     596 / 603  
I agree with what Matt and Mash said. Not everyone can afford good quality microphones and if the quality is bad voice acting will only downgrade the scenario.
Actually, on that note; Jan did mark my file down because I did not take the time to give the file extra detail such as a proper bitmap and possibly an introductory video.
Yes but I only counted it for a total of 1 point so it's minimal. And it's not just the bitmap, the video or the voice acting. Like said if these are bad quality or don't contribute to the scenario you won't get the 1 point anyway. The extra point goes to things that immerse the player into the world which the scenario is set in. It can be a map, a background history, a representation of the different factions,... About anything that's not included in the scenario itself. Even so I think a scenario can do perfectly fine without it.
posted 04-29-16 07:05 AM CT (US)     597 / 603  
He's probably the only person to have played nearly my entire library
I think that's really your biggest problem. You're clearly one of the best designers here and you aren't getting much recognition because most of us have given up playing scenarios made for HD.

The worst part of that is...I don't know if HD will ever be fixed. And you're also very much tied to your fanbase on steam so you can't exactly migrate over. I guess we will have to hope some of the most critical bugs get addressed at some point.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 04-29-16 09:49 AM CT (US)     598 / 603  
Way too much here and in the review thread to respond to in full, and the discussion seems to have been resolved anyway, but I just wanted to say no hard feelings from my end

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 04-29-16 01:37 PM CT (US)     599 / 603  
I don't know if HD will ever be fixed.
Don't worry, we'll just have to wait another 15 years for a new expansion and then everything will be fixed.

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
(The above poster is right, did you know that?)
Proud associate of Monsoon Studios
posted 05-01-16 05:15 AM CT (US)     600 / 603  
Thanks Jan and Sam for the reviews.

"A thing that’s potentially a big bug is that when your wonder foundation is destroyed you don’t lose the scenario."
That's odd, maybe I forgot to add this feature.

"In conclusion, the idea of a tower defence is there but it’s necessary to give the player more things to do and to keep him entertained for the full hour and half he’s playing."
I agree with you. Perhaps next time I will add more features.

Legend has it that the church was built by one man. So I decided that the player should just have an architect.

"one was that sometimes the AI would not attack once the player entered activated it"
Do you mean in the beginning? They will attack only if the architect will begin construction.

I thought it was too exaggerated to add siege weapons. But the fast petards at the end should have introduced problems.

The next competition is likely next year, isn't it? I already had an alternative project in my pockets before this competition, but I wouldn't have finished it in that short of time.
posted 05-01-16 11:13 AM CT (US)     601 / 603  
For future reference, you can use Trigger Studio to tribute the player a faster building rate to make things less monotonous. Then, however, you are stuck with the oddity of a single villager completing buildings in seconds. Sometimes it's necessary to sacrifice historical detail for the sake of a more enjoyable gameplay experience.

As for the next contest, it's probably best to wait a little while (a couple months, at least) until the next one. The current system of spacing out contests more than in years past has proven to be conducive to increased interest and a higher number of entries.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 05-10-16 01:31 AM CT (US)     602 / 603  
A tad late, but congratulations Mash.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 05-12-16 04:47 AM CT (US)     603 / 603  
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Defend the Spot Competition 2016 - Results in!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames