You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest - Results in!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 11-25-16 09:18 AM CT (US)   

Welcome to the 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest, which is back after a hiatus of six years. This contest brings with it a broader scope than your average PTC or DTS contest, each of which prescribe a particular type of scenario design style; your options in terms of gameplay and design are nearly limitless, so long as they adhere within reason to the historical events that they portray. Such a contest welcomes designers of all skill levels and styles, so by all means, feel free to sign up and deliver your best effort!

The pages of history are littered with stories of powerful rulers, shrewd statesmen, fearless warriors, and decisive battles. To this day, people and states alike celebrate the memories of famed conquerors, defenders of the realm, ecclesiastical leaders, and intrepid raiders. It is now up to you, designers, to deliver entries worthy of the great names, causes, or wars that you choose to portray. Do justice to their great names, and in the process etch your own into the annals of AoKH scenario design fame!

For several excellent examples of scenarios that would fall under the category of "historical", check out these scenarios:

Tamerlane, Prince of Destruction - by Mark Stoker
Tannenberg 1410 AD - by Marko Crnigoj
The Princes' Revolt - by Julius999
The Battle of the Lechfeld - by aMa
Gyda's Challenge - by Ingo van Thiel
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail - by Al_Kharn the Great
Khabul Khan - The Conquest of Mongolia - by Bassi

Rules:
  • Your scenario must depict historical subject matter within a reasonable sphere of accuracy. Differing interpretations of or slight variances from the actual events, or alternate outcomes are fine. You can even create your own characters within the scenario within reason. A good measuring stick here is the ES scenarios, which, while deviating from actual events and outcomes fairly often were still generally faithful to the subject matter. Just don't go making scenarios about King Arthur taking a trip to Mongolia.
  • The maximum map size of an entry in this contest is 255x255 tiles. Additionally, no maps smaller than 100x100 tiles are allowed.
  • Only one entry per forummer. No teams.

• There are no restrictions on styles - you can have fixed force, build and destroy, defend the spot, even role playing games. Your scenario cannot be wholly a cutscene, however.

• You may not enter a file that has been previously submitted to the Blacksmith. Projects in progress are, however, allowed to be entered. We would caution against entering your epic "life's work" style of project, as projects of that scale are unlikely to meet the deadline (or, in some cases, the contest guidelines).

• The game must be a single player game. No multiplayer.

• The use of AoE2HD or the UserPatch is allowed, as is the use of The Forgotten, African Kingdoms, and Rise of the Rajas expansions to the HD Edition.

• Game modifications are allowed. Data mods, graphics mods, language file edits, and other file modifications are allowed. The use of AoK Trigger Studio is also allowed.
  • If the entry uses a published mod (such as Chivalry, ToME, FE, etc), then you need only say so and provide a link to the download in the file description.

If you use modified files that you have created exclusively for your entry (this also applies if you have modified a published mod for your entry), then you will need to include all of the necessary modified files within the download. If you would like to create a custom installer to streamline what might otherwise be a particularly arduous installation process, then by all means feel free to do so.

Deadline:

All entries must be submitted to the Blacksmith by 11:59 pm forum time (CST), February 15, 2017. Submit in campaign (.cpx, if made in the CD version, or .aoe2campaign, if made in the HD Edition) format.

Please do not add the prefix "HSDC16" to the title of your entries. Instead, please post the tracking number (5-digit file number) of your entry in this thread when you have submitted it. You should indicate that your file is an entry to the contest in the file description on the Blacksmith as well.

Refer to the Scenario Design FAQ if you have questions regarding the uploading of files.

Certain types of scenario styles often make it desirable to use custom AIs to enhance the gameplay experience. For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario. Any other questions regarding AI scripting, if you should have them, can be directed to forummers in this thread or in the AI & RM Scripting Forum.

Judging:

Traditionally, the staff have hosted contests here, and while that is also the case with this this contest, we are encouraging community members to volunteer as our second judge. If you are interested on being a judge, sign up in the thread. We may possibly have 3 judges if two good candidates apply.

Judges:

1. HockeySam18
2. Cataphract887

The maps will be judged out of 50 points in the following categories:

• Gameplay and Entertainment - 25 points
• Technical Proficiency and Quality - 25 points

Gameplay and entertainment is a measure of how fun the scenario is to play, and includes such related factors as balance, creative objectives, etc. This is simply a measure of the judges' enjoyment of your scenario and is largely based on the judges' personal experience with the file.

Technical Proficiency and Quality is a measure of how well the scenario is made, and includes such related factors as the use of soundtracks and voice acting, trigger work, map design, bitmaps, dialogue, storytelling, instructions, etc. Simply put, a scenario scoring highly in this category is likely to feature excellent map design, an experience improving soundtrack or voice acting, seamless and well structured gameplay, and a clever if not overly complex setup/story. While not all the above are required to score highly, the judges are expected to put aside their personal preferences as much as possible and rate the overall quality of the scenario.

Both categories are scored from 0 to 25, with 0-5 being poor, 6-10 being below average, 11-15 being average, 16-20 being good, and 21-25 being excellent. Judges will be expected to use the entire scale, with poor entries scoring near the bottom, and the top entries scoring over 20 in each category, assuming a typical distribution of scenarios of variable quality.

Contestants: (submitted entries in bold text)

Paul_TD
MrMew
Seonid
Mash
Lildbehr
Mithril Knight
Tarsiz
DelCrosB
cartoon_paperboy
Knaber
Bassi
CarolKarine
HellKnight61
Gwayle
Al_Kharn the Great
Alkhalim

Results:

1st Bassi: 43 (19 + 24) + 46 (22 + 24) = 89/100
2nd Al_Kharn the Great: 46 (23 + 23) + 42 (21 + 21) = 88/100
3rd Alkhalim: 38 (21 + 17) + 31 (13 + 18) = 69/100
4th MrMew: 30 (13 + 17) + 36 (17 + 19) = 66/100
5th Lildbehr: 33 (15 + 18) + 30 (14 + 16) = 63/100

*Knaber's entry crashed at the start for both judges, and as such could not be judged alongside the other entries.

Congratulations to the winners and all of the contestants on a strong effort!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 04-10-2017 @ 12:57 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-25-16 01:08 PM CT (US)     1 / 178  
I'll give it a try. I'm in.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus
posted 11-26-16 01:58 AM CT (US)     2 / 178  
Damn! Too bad the AoE conversion is buggy as hell when it comes to eye candy. The Battle of Thermopylae could still be done I guess, got some hoplites in my Dark Age mod, yet again I'd have to add rocks and Persian units. I'd also have difficulty adding 7000 Greek units to the scenario, and the 25000 Persian units to be killed. Hmmm, what about Marathon or Plataea...

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 11-26-16 11:12 PM CT (US)     3 / 178  
I think I'd like to enter. No idea if I'll actually have time, but if I enter, maybe it will motivate me to do more designing.

Question: is the use of published mods - like age of chivalry - permitted, or do all data/graphic mods have to be the work of the person entering the competition.
posted 11-26-16 11:25 PM CT (US)     4 / 178  
It generally includes those types of mods, it has in the past.

EDIT: If anyone could point me in the direction of graphics for persian archers, cavalry, infantry and immortals I'll consider entering.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday

[This message has been edited by MrMew (edited 11-27-2016 @ 00:03 AM).]

posted 11-27-16 03:29 AM CT (US)     5 / 178  
I don't think we have any Persian units except for maybe one or two civi 3 unit conversions
posted 11-27-16 12:26 PM CT (US)     6 / 178  
Question: is the use of published mods - like age of chivalry - permitted, or do all data/graphic mods have to be the work of the person entering the competition.
The use of published mods, even if they are not your own work, is allowed. You are also certainly welcome to make your own custom mod for your entry, should you so desire.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 11-27-16 02:47 PM CT (US)     7 / 178  
posted 11-27-16 03:50 PM CT (US)     8 / 178  
I'll probably enter if I find the time to get started on something.

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
(The above poster is right, did you know that?)
Proud associate of Monsoon Studios
posted 11-27-16 07:07 PM CT (US)     9 / 178  
Don't put me down yet, but it's possible I might be able to throw something together during my Christmas break. I had a historical battle in mind for the Classic Scenario contest that I wasn't able to complete.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 11-27-16 08:34 PM CT (US)     10 / 178  
I'll try to put something together.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 11-30-16 07:05 AM CT (US)     11 / 178  
I'm in!
posted 12-02-16 05:05 PM CT (US)     12 / 178  
You can count me in! I am not really sure but I'll try.

I was thinking to use AoCh for this project, since it kind of fits and it's been a while since I last used it. But I also wanted to have a simple custom AI for the enemy player; does anyone know if there is a more or less easy way to adapt Jan DC's tool to an AoCh AI?
posted 12-03-16 09:29 PM CT (US)     13 / 178  
Back again with more questions...

First, what is the standard etiquette for uploading modded scenarios? Do we upload the modded files in the folder with the .scn file? Do we create an installer that installs the mod and scenario together? (If there isn't a standardized answer to that question, should there be?)

Second question is for Lildbehr - are we going to see a betting thread for this contest? :P
posted 12-04-16 03:21 AM CT (US)     14 / 178  
Second question is for Lildbehr - are we going to see a betting thread for this contest? :P
As long as I live and breath, there will be a betting thread. And perhaps even after that...

Edit: Aaannd it's up...

[This message has been edited by Lildbehr (edited 12-04-2016 @ 04:22 AM).]

posted 12-04-16 10:54 AM CT (US)     15 / 178  
First, what is the standard etiquette for uploading modded scenarios? Do we upload the modded files in the folder with the .scn file? Do we create an installer that installs the mod and scenario together? (If there isn't a standardized answer to that question, should there be?)
This depends on the graphical modification that is used. If the entry uses a published mod (such as Chivalry, ToME, FE, etc), then you need only say so and provide a link to the download in the file description.

If you use modified files that you have created exclusively for your entry (this also applies if you have modified a published mod for your entry), then you will need to include all of the necessary modified files within the download. If you would like to create a custom installer to streamline what might otherwise be a particularly arduous installation process, then by all means feel free to do so.

I've transcribed this to the main post as well for the sake of clarity.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-04-16 01:09 PM CT (US)     16 / 178  
I was thinking to use AoCh for this project, since it kind of fits and it's been a while since I last used it. But I also wanted to have a simple custom AI for the enemy player; does anyone know if there is a more or less easy way to adapt Jan DC's tool to an AoCh AI?
It would take some tweaking. You'd have to edit the AI directly after you use Jan DC's tool. The main issue is getting the AI to train, research, or build the new things in Chivalry that the normal game doesn't have. This might be simple enough because all you have to do is use the unit ID, research ID, or building ID to get the AI to use the new stuff, but if an AI script looks like complete gibberish to you, you might have to ask someone else to help.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-05-16 11:45 PM CT (US)     17 / 178  
count me in please.

[STATEMENTS] - [ ( UPDATE IN PROGRESS ) ] [ progress bar ]: |███████████████ - [99%]
[ Decline and Fall of the Nameless Republic ] - [ progress bar ]: |██ - [56%]
[ De Origine Actibusque Getarum ] - [ The origin and deeds of the Goths ] [ progress bar ]: |███ - [60%]
''i'ts just a flesh wound.''
posted 12-06-16 00:43 AM CT (US)     18 / 178  
Might enter with my kyoto scenario im working on, so probably sign me up!
posted 12-06-16 02:41 PM CT (US)     19 / 178  
@Leif Ericson Thanks for your answer. It is the first time I use a custom AI but I read about the basics and I am reasonably experienced with coding, so I should be able to fix it somehow. Just one thing: I saw that in an AoC script all units, researches and buildings parameters are referred to by a name (e.g. man-at-arms) or a wildcard (e.g. militiaman-line) and not by their ID. How do I substitute these for AoCh (apart from guessing )? Is there a reference? Thanks!
posted 12-07-16 09:18 AM CT (US)     20 / 178  
Note: Scary, scary AI script code incoming.

You can just use the new unit/building/technology numbers to replace the names:

(defrule
(unit-type-count-total 882 < 5) ;882 is the bajoras unit ID
=>
(train 882)
)

It might be slightly out of date, but there is a spreadsheet that comes with the Chivalry installation (/Games/Age of Chivalry/Support) called AoC Technology Tree. It has all the building/unit/technology ID numbers in the Unit Attributes tab. If a certain number doesn't work, you can load the Age of Chivalry data in AGE to check the numbers. You can also create your own constants so you don't have to use these numbers:

(defconst bajoras 882)

(defrule
(unit-type-count-total bajoras < 5)
=>
(train bajoras)
)

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 12-07-2016 @ 03:13 PM).]

posted 12-07-16 09:54 AM CT (US)     21 / 178  
Thanks a lot! This is all I wanted to know for the time being! I will try this out as soon as I have some free time. I guess there was supposed to be a "< 5" after the "882" in the first rule you wrote down :)
posted 12-07-16 03:13 PM CT (US)     22 / 178  
Haha, yes. Edited.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-08-16 06:28 AM CT (US)     23 / 178  
I'll see about entering, although the deadline seems a bit tight. I won't have much free time during either December or January unfortunately.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 12-08-16 08:15 AM CT (US)     24 / 178  
Yeah, the deadline is fairly close. I'm fairly sure though an extension of that would be on the table.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 12-18-16 11:10 AM CT (US)     25 / 178  
I'm a bit confused about the file sumbmission. It says to submit the finished product as a .cpx file, but it also says we can use AoE2HD and its expansions.

How can anyone who uses these expansions save it as a .cpx file? Wouldn't it have to be a .aoe2campaign (or whatever the extension is called) file instead in that case?
posted 12-18-16 11:36 AM CT (US)     26 / 178  
You are absolutely right Zurkon, in case you are using the HD version of the game it should be .aoe2campaign.

posted 12-18-16 12:03 PM CT (US)     27 / 178  
Good catch. Edited the guidelines accordingly.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-18-16 05:24 PM CT (US)     28 / 178  
Oh good, glad I was able to help there.

[This message has been edited by Mr Zurkon (edited 12-20-2016 @ 07:00 PM).]

posted 12-18-16 11:42 PM CT (US)     29 / 178  
Yeah, the deadline is fairly close. I'm fairly sure though an extension of that would be on the table.
Indeed. I didn't realise how close it is. It's going to be a busy time of the year too. Would March 1 be better?
posted 12-19-16 11:29 AM CT (US)     30 / 178  
I'd be glad to consider an extension, should it be apparent that one is required

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-19-16 12:24 PM CT (US)     31 / 178  
Since the use of African Kingdoms and The Forgotten is ok, I hope it is also no problem to use the new HD DLC "Rise of the Rajas". If so, I would like to take part in this contest!

Deadline seems fine to me as well.

EDIT: Is it ok to create a seperate intro map?

[This message has been edited by Bassi (edited 12-19-2016 @ 02:42 PM).]

posted 12-19-16 09:08 PM CT (US)     32 / 178  
I would like to take part in the contest.

EDIT: Never mind, I'll be too busy.

[This message has been edited by Mr Zurkon (edited 12-20-2016 @ 07:00 PM).]

posted 12-19-16 09:08 PM CT (US)     33 / 178  
Rise of the Rajas is indeed also allowed. I just couldn't say so until it was officially released!

What do you mean by a separate intro map? Are you referring to an introductory bitmap for the custom campaign menu, or to a separate scenario altogether as an introduction?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-20-16 06:45 AM CT (US)     34 / 178  
@HockeySam: Thank you!

I mean a seperate scenario for an intro.
posted 12-20-16 12:24 PM CT (US)     35 / 178  
Past contests have accepted such entries, so I'll allow introductory scenarios in the form of short cinematics or something similar. That should be helpful to HD users in particular considering that the bugs relating to the custom campaign introduction screens have yet to be fixed...

~ Forgotten Empires ~

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest - Results in!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames