Mod Packs » Tales of Middle-Earth

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Tales of Middle-Earth

Author File Description
ToME Team
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Screenshot:

Tales of Middle-Earth mod is available for download!

At present, we are releasing ToME as a beta version (version 0.6). With your help, we will be able to test the mod beyond what out alpha playtesters could accomplish.

So please try it out and let us know about any bugs you spot, or any suggestions and balance tweaks using the ToME Forum or through comments right here.

Go ahead, jump right into Middle-earth. Only a small download away...

Features
Tales of Middle Earth (ToME) is the first ever fully playable total conversion for AoK based on the works of J.R.R Tolkien. Featuring full 18 realms of Middle-earth including Elves, Men of the West, the Rohirrim, Southrons and the Easterlings, and the evil forces under Mordor and Angmar. Bring to life all your favourite battles and stories from The Lord of the Rings on maps of real Middle-earth locations. From the keen archers of Lórien to the trolls of Mordor; the Rangers of the North to the dreaded giant Mûmakil – as many as 70 new units, with over a hundred new building graphics and wonders from the Middle-earth.

• Play from the Fall of Beleriand to the Great Years and the War of the Ring.

• Choose from one of 18 unique factions.

• Guide the wise and fair elves - Lindon, Rivendell, Mirkwood, Eregion, and Lothlórien.

• Fall under the sway of the Shadow with Angmar, Mordor, Isengard, Dol Guldur, or Minas Morgûl.

• Place your hope in the Men of the West with Arnor, Gondor, and fabled Númenor of old.

• Ride with the Native Men of Rohan, Rhovanion, Harad, Umbar, or Rhûn.

• Battle on new random maps based on real Middle-earth locations.

• Research countless new technologies and decide the path of your race with faction choices. Will you ally with the Rohirrim as Isengard, or fall and become a Vassal of Mordor. The choices are yours.
    Forge alliances to supplement your armies with soldiers from other regions, or even call for the aid of Dwarves and Hobbits.

• Enjoy the rich world of Middle-earth as presented by one of the largest graphical modification ever produced for Age of Kings. Over a hundred buildings have been designed, including wonders based on famous Middle-earth landmarks like Orthanc, Barad-dûr, The Golden Hall, or Elrond's Homely House. Likewise, nearly 70 new unit graphics have been added, including almost thirty all new units to appear for the very first time in ToME.
    Create that LotR campaign you always had in mind or play online against a friend! Designed to function in multiplayer, singleplayer, and scenario design.

Screenshots

Caras Galadhon - Lothlórien's Wonder.

A patrol of Orc and Trolls through the ash plains of Mordor.

Elrond's Last Homely House in Rivendell.

The mighty King's Men in the fabled Númenor of old.

More screenshots here!

How to Install
Your download comes with an installer to manage everything for you. Don't worry about taking backups, the installer will handle that for you too!

Note: You need to have the C-Patch installed on your Age of Empires II - The Conquerors. Make sure no other mods are installed.

That's it! A shortcut to ToME will be available on your desktop from which to run the game.

Planned Updates
This is a beta release, and the first release of ToME. While we have tried to cover all possible aspects of the game, there are some missing features that we are still working on:

1. Interface graphics.

2. Shadows for some buildings and player colour on some units.

3. Heroes from Middle-Earth.

These are low priority issues that don't need to be addressed before a release, and we didn't want you to wait any longer to play ToME!

Keep a check on the ToME Forum and/or Website listed above for updates. Apart from these, the other updates planned are:

1. Hobbit-themed graphic pack: adds hobbits, hobbit-holes and Smaug the dragon!

2. More eye candy and Gaia objects for scenario design.

3. Balance fixes, if any, from all the suggestions and feedback we will receive from you.

FAQ on Troubleshooting

When I run the ToME shortcut on the desktop, I get the error "Cannot find CD-ROM."

Please try running AoK as you normally do, using the regular AoK shortcut. That should work just fine!

It appears broken/corrupted/incoherent (e.g., corrupted unit graphics, mixed up technologies)

Your install seems to have gone awry. Please ensure you have the C-Patch installed. Your AoC version should be 1.0c.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
RPGaming This mod and the people who made it are simply amazing! I don't see myself taking a break with this thing for a long time to come!

[Edited on 12/18/12 @ 12:18 AM]

panel
Official Reviewer
It's normal to be excited by such a mod, but if you're going to review it please make sure you include feedback, or else your review will be turned into a simple comment.
cycbobby Far different form the original preview...
Where are the dragons and those knight with long
pike/spear
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=39767&f=4,39767,0,365&st=1260
Mrfinlander this is so amazing!! everyone should download this
Mr Wednesday
(id: matty12345)
Staff
Official Reviewer
"Far different form the original preview...
Where are the dragons and those knight with long
pike/spear"

We (Pulkit and I, the creators) hear this a lot. Here's a copy of a detailed answer to that from the main thread in the forums:

"Those units don't exist. They never did. Jorgito was simply knocking up the models, rendering one frame, and then pasting it over the same background screenshot. He did this for a LOT of units. Everyone, including me, was really excited. But in the excitement nobody caught two things:

1. The units had no player color and thus were basically useless for MP (and even not ideal for scenarios).
2. The units were not even close to finished. If you have no idea how modelling works, I'd say Jorgito's units were 15% done. The rest is in rigging, animating, rendering, converting the frames, and creating slps. It's a labour intensive process that frankly is boring. Once the unit is modeled, I know what it looks like. The rest is repetitive tedious work. There's not a lot of fun in it. The fun part really is in the creation and concept stages.

So Jorgito was having a lot of fun. But he wasn't really creating anything. He was very fast and no doubt could have completed a lot of units had he stayed around (though I really doubt he would ever have been able to do them all). Animating is a bit like doing triggers in AOK. You know how many people make a map and then post screenshots? And how many of those ever get finished? Because triggers are the hard part. It's the same with models.

So anything you see in the old thread, with dozens of units on it, those don't exist. Even if they did, they wouldn't have player color, meaning we would have to work on adding it to each unit. I understand it's disappointing because some of those units are really cool, but there's not much we can do. For my part, I only ever post previews of finished units. "

But fear not. A dragon is planned in the next update.
cycbobby Actually,the materials not yet completed,can kindly be shared with us?thz
Thepheonix hi, I'm using google translator.
could you tell me what is the C-patch?
and where to download it?
yuki_cutes Wow ... This mod is so great, and i wonder.

But, i found some bugs when i playing this mod several times ...

When i selected 'The Later Days' Era from the beginning, some realm can't build a Castle and the Castle icon is disable such as Eregion, Rhovenion, Lothlorien, and the other, but the Evil (Mordor, Isengard, Morgul) can build their Castle. But if i playing this mod to select 'Standard' Era from the beginning, all realm can build a Castle until The Later Days.

Sorry about my English ...

[Edited on 12/24/12 @ 02:34 AM]

Khan Ivayl
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
Tales of Middle Earth has been a passionately awaited project dealing with Tolkien's fictional universe, a universe that has captured the imagination and hearts of millions of people. This piece of art, brought to us by a team of modders around Matt LiVecchi and Pulkit, has been the most exciting mod I have reviewed so far and I had alot of fun playing around with it during the last few days. Here my impressions in detail:

Usefulness/Novelty: 5

Tolkien's mythological invention has inspired many games and mods. With few exceptions, most are RPGs and 'merely' allow you to look at that mythical world through the eyes of individual adventurers. ToME is one of few playable simulations of Middle Earthian politics and warfare, allowing the player to build up beautiful Elven cities or construct terrifying Orc armies. In my humble opinion and by no means a sign of flat flattery, ToME is the best attempt of Middle Earthian real time strategy, since even the worldfamous Warcraft game series is too loosely inspired by the original fiction and is more of a comic relief (while still enjoyable, don't get me wrong). As far as I can judge it, ToME is heavily relying on detailled knowledge of Tolkien's world, drawing inspiration from both the books and the movies. This seems evident from the choices made regarding the names and design for civs, units and techs. Unfortunately, I am not qualified to fully grasp and appreciate all of this effort. My experience with the Tolkien universe is restricted to the movies. It heavily speaks for the mod's quality though, that someone just generally interested in mythology and fiction can have so much fun playing it. How much more valuable will this mod be for those who feel at home in Middle Earth!

Quality/Instructions: 5

It is easy to understate how beautiful the design is. Most buildings, units and icons fit nicely with the original game's graphics while being a clear sign of good taste. There are few exceptions, but these are forgivable. It is generally difficult to decide on how to weight shortcommings in the rating, because the authors have promised lots of updates and many imperfections are probably just temporary. I am not going to detract these points from the rating, but the potential downloader be informed that there are a few details in the current version that could kick you out of the illusion you are in Middle Earth. Such are the missing interface graphics (something the authors have definitely promised to fix) and also the peasants' speech sounds. Feel bad about pointing the latter out, because regarding speech sounds there are actually some very positive surprises, like some units speaking Elven and Dwarvian(?)! Yet, this is exactly why I would love this nice design-feature to be expanded to all units. There is no strict obligation for any modder to give in to this new speech-sound trend, but it is certainly helping the illusion you want to sustain with this mod.
But back to the good stuff: Alot of creative ideas, regarding both design and gameplay ensure a high level of immersion with the alternate reality. The mod is rich in detail, with new terrain and nature units, new ways of harvesting and storing ressources and offering intruiguing choices already within a plain random map game (for instance some civilizations can choose whether to join good or evil). I particularly loved Isengard's scouting birds, the concept of banner-carriers and assasins. Such little details provide alot of new dynamics and things to discover making sure that playing this mod will remain fun for a long time.

Final Comments:

Overall this mod is highly recommended to anyone generally interested in fiction and Tolkien fans(!) particularly. Since the design and gameplay combine inspirations from both books and movies, everyone touched by this fiction in one way or another will also enjoy playing it. Particularly those who love the movies will be very pleased with some of the units resembling Legolas and Gimmli from Peter Jackson's adaptation. My judgment in one sentence: This is currently our best fantasy mod here at the blacksmith!

[Edited on 12/26/12 @ 07:17 AM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
While I haven't had the time to play with this mod thoroughly, I have had a good long look at it, and I must say it is quite fantastic. The amount of work that has gone into this wonderful behemoth really shows. Some units do look a little too cartoonish for my taste, and some buildings don't quite fit in with the landscape (could be because they lack shadows and break too cleanly with the AOK terrain beneath), but for something this massive all that is details. Overall, great job!

[Edited on 12/29/12 @ 01:16 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.8