You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Why not to decrease the ESO points daily?
posted 01 March 2003 08:32 AM EDT (US)   
I was thinking about the threads:
- Smurfs
- Top players are not willing to play
- Point traders
- blablabla
It would be very nice to see that every day the point are decreasing by certain amount. So the holiday boys up there have to play. As high you are, as more the decrease is.
But if you play a game than it would not be decreased. Or something like this. We could see more top player game.
Or other solution: ESO games are expiring. Meaning that the past results cannot make you glorious. The ladder would be based on the last 1 month or two weeks.
Just thinking... any comment?
Replies:
posted 01 March 2003 10:57 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
It could work, but if the top 20 players just sit there, they will all reduce at the same amount, as will everyone else, so the ratings will remain more or less the same at the top. Even though you said that the higher you are, the more your points decrease, most people at the top are seperate by fractions of a point. It would end up with the top player getting lower than the second best player, then the new top player would end up getting passed by the second player again, because he loses points faster. This also results in a sort of smurfing, because a 1800 player who hasn't played for a week will end up against a 1650 player who has played, and it's a no-brainer as to who'll win (my money's on the 1650 :P). Good thought, but I don't know if it would work.
posted 01 March 2003 11:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
Because its a matchmaking system not a ladder system. The point is to match people up to play those close to their own skill level, not to rate who is better than who.

If ESO really thinks smurfs are a problem they should only display the top rated name per account in the top 1000 list, that takes smurfs out of the picture as far as ratings are concerned.

If they think smurfing is ruining the matchmaking system they could limit the number of ID's per account that can play rated to 3 so its harder to smurf.

posted 01 March 2003 11:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
I don't think this would be a good idea, what if you had to go away for some time, or jsut simply got bored of playing for a while? Every player can't play every single day, I play about once a week, because I have other things to do.

And as said, it's amde to match you up with players at your skill level, it's not a ladder system.

DK

[This message has been edited by PW_DarkKnight (edited 03-01-2003 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 01 March 2003 11:43 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
So an expert will get his rating decreased cause he cant play every day, then since he will have a low rating will fight against an intermediate that could play every day and therefore keep his rating high AND THEN the intermediates/rookies would complain again that they are fighting against really good players who happen to have the same rating with them cause of the decay point system.

If the point decrease is too little then things will stay as they are. Arent you(not personally you, generally) tired of proposing solutions to fix smurfing?

You face a smurf, you lose. Then you play 1 more rated battle, you dont face a smurf and you win. Now you are back to where you was before. So some1 who keeps playing rated battles wont be affected by smurfs cause he will eventually get the rating he deserves. But some1 that has only played 10 rated games in 10 months and got to 1700 and then he decides to play 1 more rated game and he loses from a smurf, he goes around whining.

If you want a good rating, play rated more often and get better. Smurfs dont affect some1 who has played 50+ games.

posted 01 March 2003 12:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
not everyday but maybe for names that dont play for a week or more

Anarchist!
---------------------
ESO: Dark_Nation
posted 01 March 2003 12:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
I know it works better as a mach making system. But it was not meant to be that way, that is why you have the button in ESO to TOP25 players. Repeat: TOP 25.
And beleive there are regular players out there who wants to be on the top of the list (think about point traders). So then alternative B comes to the picture: only the last 1 month counts, no old glorys. And I want to tell you one more reason why it should be like that:
cause they are good reference points. To check their gods and to check the tendency they follow.
Or as it was said: 1 week out. Or 2 weeks. The amount does not matter. The point is to make it a ladder as well as it was the original idea. And to have the ladder & MM system working both.
posted 01 March 2003 02:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
I wouldn't be too eager to play if I knew that I could lose all my fame in 30 minutes losing like 40 points :S
posted 01 March 2003 02:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
But it is a matchmaking system first, a ladder second. Anything to help it act as a ladder is fine, but only if doesn't hurt the first function, a match maker. I think decaying points will hurt the matchmaking function. I play in spurts, sometimes go weeks without playing. So then I have to play a bunch to get back to the rating I should have.

Personally, I could care less who is ranked the highest. I have never looked at the rankings.

Want a ladder, create a ladder where your name is tied to your CD key, so smurfing is not possible without multiple CDs. But don't take away the matchmaking system, cuz that is all I care about.

posted 01 March 2003 02:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Top 25 is bugged or something. I made a new name and went from 1600 to 1750 with no defeats on 1 day and after a week now, that name hassnt appeared on weekly or monthly top 25.

Also sometimes when i searched for that name on the ESO it only shows it has 1640(other times it shows 1750) rating with only 2 games but when i click on the battles it shows all the battles. On http://aom.holbert.org/ it shows the correct rating but it still doesnt show the name on the top 25 even though there are ppl with lower rating and worse win/lose ratio.

My guess is that players pay ES to include their name on weekly/monthly top 25 . Anyway dont trust it much.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Why not to decrease the ESO points daily?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames