Topic Subject: Map Hack...
posted 02 March 2004 04:25 PM EDT (US)   
http://www.aotsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4471

looks like we might need patch 1.03...

Everyone got AIDS and shit
Replies:
posted 02 March 2004 04:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
Reposting what I posted at AoTSanctuary:

I doubt this guy is that serious. If he was, he wouldn't have sent one big bulk email to all the people he was considering. He would have sent a single copy to each person, so that they wouldn't be under suspicion. Might just be some trouble making guy, but then again, I really have no idea.

"Oh yes, I will get back at you, and AOMH! This is a warning to you, so admit you are a bad mod and quit, otherwise, you will suffer the consiquences in the future!!!!"
posted 02 March 2004 04:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
If you really think about it it wouldnt be that hard to do, I mean if you do it your a cheating little... anyway, but I'm a complete idiot and even I could figure out how to modify some of the files for AoM. Just think of someone that is a hacker or a person that is good with computers. If I were ES i wouldn't take this too lightly because as we have all seen, if there is a way to cheat in this game most people will try it.

AOM Titan Info.
Rating: 1690+
Civ. : Any
ESO : ViRaL88, Chugster88, ElNegro88
posted 02 March 2004 05:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
He is serious... Hack works.
posted 02 March 2004 05:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
Of course it isnt fake. Map hacking is pretty easy to be made and very hard to counter it. Do you really think that Valve(half life 2) would waste all this time making anticheat mechanism, if countering cheating was easy? Of course not.

Luckily rts arent that popular. But seriously map(or wall) hacking isnt exactly rocket science.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

posted 02 March 2004 05:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
man, I thought AoM was a cheat free game (Apart from exploits of course). It IS in much better shape than most FPS games *cough* TFC *cough*. ESO must stop this, and the bastard is making money out of it too!

Proud member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Tok
Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
posted 02 March 2004 06:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
would u rlly pay 25 for a freaking cheat (just play with cheats on then )

imo thats sad....

[This message has been edited by BLAUWROOD (edited 03-02-2004 @ 06:18 PM).]

posted 03 March 2004 07:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
problem is ES can't stop map hacks

go into any Age of Empires game 3v3, safe bet someone has it

if its not that they have macro.

AOK,AOC still have map hacks floating about.....with all the people still playing that (more then AOM) don't u think they would. if they could stop it?

posted 03 March 2004 09:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
The silly thing if it's true is that the guy emailed it to a lot of people and posted their names in the email. I guess he was trying to make them want to get it because otherwise someone else might get it and beat them, but what it really means is that ES can just check recorded games from those people *and* that all the experts now know to check whether opponents are cheating because a hack is out.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 03-03-2004 @ 09:13 AM).]

posted 03 March 2004 09:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
the AI also has this map hack :P they always know where my goldminers r those evil AI Cheaters
posted 03 March 2004 10:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
Well done! Now everyone can see the guy's ESO nick and purchase the hack!

Thank God I only play vanilla online. No hacks or wh0ranos players for me, sir!

posted 03 March 2004 04:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
Hey guys,

If anyone does play with someone who they know is using a map hack please post up the record game. Screen shots can be faked but if we get some good record games then we can begin investigating the problem. If there is a problem.

Thanks

- [D4KU]

[This message has been edited by SuperTr00pers (edited 03-03-2004 @ 04:40 PM).]

posted 03 March 2004 05:51 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
i think hope plays the maker (or seller) to get him trying to prove that his hack is real. i read this over at aots forum
posted 03 March 2004 05:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
There was a rec game over at aots where some guy obviously has it. You probably know about that though

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, the guys who will pay for this probably suck and will get owned or will droptrick you anyways...

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 03 March 2004 09:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
lol where can I get this map-hack? I will use it vs oranos and maybe then I could win vs him

lol even with it I couldnt win vs oranos anyway

ESO:CaNnOn_FoDdEr_79

^^I have changed my link, now it finally works

[This message has been edited by Cannon_Fodder79 (edited 03-03-2004 @ 10:01 PM).]

posted 03 March 2004 10:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
There has been a rec in AOTSanctuary for 3 days! Haven't you seen it or do you only visit AOMH?

Go here: http://www.aotsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4433

posted 04 March 2004 06:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
Fwiffo

the orignal creator of this hack (was created for vanilla and still out there) use to be ranked 3 in lighting for the longest time. He sold the codes for i think $500

ES knows about him far to well, as well as the ZONE

posted 05 March 2004 01:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
realize that we have to live with cheaters and hackers as long as we play on-linegames.
However there are one good way to decrease the use of hack and cheat,and that is by not using it yourself

peace and love.

age of myth have turned inte age of isis. sad but true

posted 05 March 2004 03:29 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Does aom's engine has an open source?? I mean i can't find datafiles about the engine itself. How can that guy made a hack for it :S

PW_Vince_
posted 05 March 2004 04:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
It's certainly not open-source. That would be fairly suicidal for ES, then anyone could make an RTS game with a state of the art engine by just modifying the data files and a bit of code. But really as far as I understand all the guy has to do is change the variable in memory that says whether the fog of war should be displayed. This variable is likely stored at the same offset from the start of the program all the time. Now the operating system (Windows) should not let a program do stuff to other programs' memory, but I guess it does (it's probably just too inefficient for an operating system to check that).

Basically, as long as you run the game on your own computer I think it's very hard for a developer to prevent any cheating that doesn't change the game state (so other players' computers don't notice a difference). Of course if you use the hack you'll just get a slightly higher rating, then be reported by someone, and if you ever make it to a tournament with prizes you'd lose it badly; but I guess for some people a couple more rating points means something.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 03-05-2004 @ 04:56 PM).]

posted 05 March 2004 09:53 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  

I just lost a game where I was absolutely certain I was being map hacked. Upon reviewing the rec game I realised that I was simply ridiculously, unbelievably unlucky and played somewhat poorly. If I had not been so incensed that I was being(thought) hacked I could have probably won the game...

A perhaps irrelevant but also poignant message regarding this topic.

posted 06 March 2004 00:38 AM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
"Now the operating system (Windows) should not let a program do stuff to other programs' memory"

If that was to occur, programs would not run on windows.

posted 07 March 2004 11:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
nm

[This message has been edited by Pale Horse (edited 03-08-2004 @ 06:43 AM).]

posted 08 March 2004 01:20 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
If they can see all settlements at the start then one of them was Oranos. Thats 1 of his civ bonus.
posted 08 March 2004 09:28 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
Actually, Oranos has LoS to all "unused" settlements at the start, but not to any opponents occupied TC's. Usually you can tell about where the opponent is, because you know where he’s not at.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
posted 08 March 2004 10:49 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
Windows NT runs in protected mode, in which normal processes can only access their own memory.
Kernel-mode drivers can, I believe access any memory.

This is why a driver can crash the whole system, but a normal program can't.

- Pete

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Map Hack...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames