Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Any tips for Loki v Ra?
posted 28 June 2005 01:52 PM EDT (US)   
I am new to AOM and while I can manage Greeks v Greeks, Greeks v Egyptians and Norse v Greeks, I cannot get anywhere when I play Norse v Egyptians.

Typically, I build a enough villagers to gather food, chop wood and gather gold and many soldiers at the beginning and rush the Egyptians but it hasn't worked. I go for killing the villagers and disrupting the economy in other ways by destroying houses and other buildings ... all to no avail.

I tried concentrating just enough to build a temple and a few heroes to give more impetus to the rush, but it hasn't worked, either.

I thought a rush would be the best policy because when the Egyptians build up, I find the elephants to be in particular very tough to beat.

Obviously, though, my rush policy isn't working. Any suggestions?

---
Celine

Replies:
posted 28 June 2005 03:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
Gold starve. Eggy is very dependant upon gold. Don't rush, eggy is very hard to rush with their free tower whoring. Scout out the mines around their base, (possibly build a house there) and raid their gold and any hunting outside of their base. Keep them contained and deny them gold. This will delay their heroic time. If the eggy has more than one gold mine within TC range, GG.
posted 28 June 2005 04:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
I'm not much of a loki player but my best advice is gold starving by always watching the gold mines and remembering that pretty much only heroic units can beat eggy units.
Use ulfsarks with the swine array upgrade from bragi to deal with elephants if you ever meet them.

In mythic you'll want to train as many Fire giants as you can becaue they are very effective.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
posted 28 June 2005 04:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Uhhh wait you rush your opponent and he counters you with elephants? id love to see that lol ^^ Ra doenst havnt nephtys in heroic which means he cant counter myth unit properly which makes loki effective enough vs him, just raid with raiding cavalry to make sure he cant hunt (which means he'll farm, but since hes ra thats not too bad), since hes going heavy on farms he needs lots of gold and you can either spam towers near his gold and dont let him get out of his base for more (first get heimdalls tech that makes them cost half the price and doubles their hp) or constant raid his gold which will probably get some of your army killed tho. Since he cant counter myth unit just get high pierce armor myth unit or fast ones (both is good to ;p) so his priests dont kill them. valkyries, heinjars, battle boars, frost giants, mountain giants, fire giants (those are impossible for him to kill with I think 85% pierce armor, I bet someone here will want to go look it up just to tell me I dont have the exact number). If you can get enough favour to make lots of those myth unit by raiding his gold with raiding cavalry you should win. Also dont forget to keep clicking on his forward town centers once hes heroic to see if hes building on it and dont let him.

[This message has been edited by X2C_41nT2L82Qu1T (edited 06-28-2005 @ 04:46 PM).]

posted 28 June 2005 06:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
Its an uphill battle for you.
You can either attack early and try to end it in classical.

Take two more tcs and let him fh and just outmass him.

fh yourself. Its not a bad way to go. Undermine, and either walking woods or flaming weapons at the same time is pretty devastating. And if you went Njord, mountain giants are great building killers.

The thing is your economy will stink compared to his no matter what you do

Either way you have to be the aggressor. If he is able to get map control and secure his gold its basically over. Even without Neph preists he will make quick work of your myth units.

posted 28 June 2005 07:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Yea it's tough, but FHing against eggies is the best option if he has easy access to gold mines very close to his TC, but if they are spread out then definetely keep a mark on his gold miners. If he stays compact and doesnt leave his "area" just take total map control and take all TC's.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 28 June 2005 11:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
As a ra player, I wouldnt suggest to rush an eggy with norse. Try getting his forward tc would be good, but eggy counter norse to well. A town centre, Free towers, walls, pharoah, priest and a 2 wadjets is all an eggy needs to get safely to heroic in about 7 mins, I've done it heaps of times. Than I'd pwn u with ellies nothing you can do especially if i get farms and use rain...gg..

Tips? Gold strangle is very hard to do, especially when your on a defensive like marsh or watering hole where a large gold mine is commonly in your first base along with the medium one. If you do do it well, he should resign. Building a house next to a gold mine to check it out is good.

I'd suggest a fh, classical raids are very costly, and most of the time with four towers, wadjets, an empowered tc, a phraoah and a preist, you will be throwing away resources. I'd either go a 3 tc boom taking his forward tc, and tower spam, than go heroic asap, as long as you have that good eco you should hold him off, In most cases, i think an eggy player will choose to boom than go agressive. Also a fast heroic?? I've tried it a few times, odin jarls just beat camels....

Ellie probs, like i said you can't do a thing, but jarls are your best weapon, after he masses ellies it's downhill for you.

I also think loki is a weak god compared to Odin or Thor.

posted 29 June 2005 06:51 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Thanks for all the replies.

I am going to try gold strangulation, although I think it will be tough. I have done a bit of that, inadvertantly, with Hades v Ra on a River Nile map and it worked. By inadvertantly, I mean, I just went over, found the gold, took over some villagers and worked the mine: if the other side hadn't mined it, it was mine. I deprived him of 2 gold mines that way and there aren't that many mines on the River Nile map.

Oh X2C_41nT2L82Qu1T, you asked whether when I rushed Ra he countered me with elephants. No, he doesn't, but, if I don't rush him, he builds up to the point where he can use elephants and I find them tough to counter. I tried playing a River Nile set up with Loki v Ra instead of Hades v Ra, because I had been successful as Hades, but, even though I had full naval superiority, and the other side couldn't even touch my resources or buildings, I still couldn't beat him once he got elephants. I found the Egyptian buildings to be tougher than other types of buildings as well.

I was playing on moderate difficulty if that makes any difference.

As for Loki being a weak god, I disagree. Sure, you don't get the dwarven mine like you do with Thor and sure, the humans don't regenerate like they do with Odin, but, on the other hand, heroes can summon myth units *on their own* in combat and I find this very useful. It hasn't worked as well with the Egyptians, but it worked a treat when I pitted Loki against Poseidon. Also, the Spy power is very helpful: put it on one of the oppostion's villagers and you get at least some idea of what your enemy is doing all the time.

Anyway, I'll give gold starvation a try and I'll also train up fire giants. Fire giants are very cool, aren't they?

Thanks again,

---
Celine
posted 29 June 2005 08:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
OMG he just said its a comp hes playing with thats just great, I would of never wrote all that if you would of said its just a stupid comp... if you cant kill it then your realy just missing the complete basics of the game, read this:

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,21070,0,10

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Any tips for Loki v Ra?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames