Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Challenge Quest
posted 09 March 2006 05:21 PM EDT (US)   
Here is AoM Heaven's first "Challenge Quest"(or the most recent one in a long time) Each week (or so) I will post a new scenerio. Your goal is to complete the scenerio to meet the requirement(s). So this can mean having the fastest time for a particular challenge or building a certain amount of buildings within a time etc. this is meant to be fun, friendly competition(as their is no decent prize right now). It is also a way to get to know each civ a little better and be able to get right down to the nitty-gritty of each god. Some weeks will be serious scenerios or some weeks it will be a fun scenerio. Overall enjoy yourself while doing this, make new strats, learn the game to a deeper degree.

Announcements:
This weeks challenge will be due by Sunday, April 9th. Then it will be a new challenge. So you have a little over 2 weeks to compete and improve

DeathAndPain suggested a cash pay out. Hopefully we can get this working out in the future. Until then we are just going to have you win to win basis. No prizes in other words.

Challenge Quests first Challenge!

Prerequisites

• Be any of the 3 Greek gods.(Zeus, Posiedon, Hades)

Here is what you have to do:

• 3 Heroes
    -and-]
  • 3 TC's
    -by-
    the fastest possible time

Rules

• Can be against any God.

• Can be against the computer. The computer can be any difficulty

• Can only be maps played for rate online. In other words to scenerio maps! Any map other than made up or scenerio maps will be fine

• You can be any Greek god.

• No cheats whats so ever!! People suspected of cheating will be kicked out of the contest!

• No multiplayer games. Basically 1v1. That way your ally doesn't feed you resources.

How to prove yourself

You can upload the game through this site. (You will need to go to winzip.com first and download the zip programm) We are looking for other ways to upload games and a guide on how to zip the game and put it in the right spot.

Hints

Try to aim around the 11-14 min mark. You will have to boom if you want to achieve this.

Prizes

Well I cant really offer any prizes other than bragging rights. Maybe I could put your name in my sig in big-bold letters. You will also become the first "Scenerio Contest" winner.

Comments

Tell me if you guys will actually enjoy doing this or if I wasted my time doing it. And also tell me if 1 week is long enough to complete the scenerio or if 2 weeks would be more appropriate. I also need to know of a good prize we could possibly have. If anyonehas a better name, I would love to hear it. I will participate in this contest but I wont be the winner (as I would be providing the prizes and it would kinda be like me giving to myself)
    Most of these scenerios will be for TT only Sorry Nilla owners.

Final Note:

Go at it!!

[This message has been edited by a_game_a_win (edited 03-11-2006 @ 08:34 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 09 March 2006 06:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
    Multiplayer games shouldn't be allowed. You could get a friend to play with you and let you get 3 tc's by 6min.

Change the name so that it doesn't sound like a design contest which I thought it was.

posted 09 March 2006 06:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
    I like the idea but the three tc thing is kinda lame. Most of the people here could probably do it with ease against a hard computer. What would be really cool would to pit people here against each other and give each player an objective(ala Risk, hold North America and Europe, etc). You could have objectives like hold three town centers for 10 minutes, raze 20 buildings, accummulate some number of resources, etc...

I'm going to see how long it takes me to do the three tc thing but I'm not going to post my game, I'll just let you know how it turned out. I think I'll be able to do it against a moderate computer in about 8 minutes or so. We'll see.

edit:
    I finished building the third town center at 7:18 and it showed on the score at 7:23. This was vs the a moderate computer on tundra. It was very easy, I made zero military units and there was no ooposition to my building by the computer.

[This message has been edited by sdw12umdjc (edited 03-09-2006 @ 07:07 PM).]

posted 09 March 2006 08:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  

Quoted from darkdude:

Change the name so that it doesn't sound like a design contest which I thought it was

Lame. I cant edit the topic title. Maybe GoS can do it later. I was thinking of "Challenge Quest"

Quoted from sdw12umjdc:

What would be really cool would to pit people here against each other and give each player an objective(ala Risk, hold North America and Europe, etc). You could have objectives like hold three town centers for 10 minutes, raze 20 buildings, accummulate some number of resources, etc...

Great idea. However my scenerio design capabilities is approximatley at -34. So I would be terrible for that. Maybe if some willing scenerio designer could make a map for the future??

Quoted from sdw12umjdc:

edit:
    I finished building the third town center at 7:18 and it showed on the score at 7:23. This was vs the a moderate computer on tundra. It was very easy, I made zero military units and there was no ooposition to my building by the computer.

And this is being in the third age and have 3 heroes out?
    Thats the hard part.

posted 09 March 2006 09:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
    Oops, forgot about the heroes. Its just three tcs. 3 heroes and tcs would probably take around 10 minutes.
    posted 10 March 2006 05:56 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
    Yea. 3 heroes means being in heroic. I will post my first attempt later on today.
    posted 10 March 2006 06:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  

Quoted from sdw12umdjc:

I like the idea but the three tc thing is kinda lame. Most of the people here could probably do it with ease against a hard computer.

sdw12umdjc, you do not appear to have understood the point. The question is not whether you can do it, but how fast you can do it! The task itself is supposed to be easy, it is maximizing speed that is the challenge in it.

What I find lame is the "moderate computer" restriction. I am a dedicated online player and do not have the faintest interest opposing the stupid CPU and finding out the weaknesses in its programming. This can cause people to actually mis-learn the game, because strategies that are good against intelligent players can fail against the omniscient but silly CPU, while a silly strategy that exploits the foolishness of the CPU can turn out successful. I really see no incentive researching silly strategies though. It simply does not interest me, and I am confident that I am not alone with that.

I agree that a "moderate" CPU is not much of a threat, but on the other hand, there is a remaining threat that has to be dealt with. I suggest requiring an "easy" CPU for all these challenges (the current one and future ones), so that the CPU plays no role and just prevents the game from ending prematurely.

But basically, I like your idea a lot, a_game_a_win! Having real prices for it would of course make it even more appealing, but means work to organize them. What I could think about is every contestant sending the replay (or a link to it) directly to a_game_a_win (or another volunteer) who keeps it secret until the challenge has timed out. Everyone who desires to compete must pay a very low entry fee, something like $1 or even $0,50. The fee must be so low that all of us, even pupils, will not really feel it in their purse.

However, only 10 people participating would already mean a prize money of $10, which is not a fortune, but still nice to win. I also believe that the simple fact that there is such prize money would cause a lot of attraction towards here, even from AOTS.

The question that would have to be solved is how that money can be collected since AoM players are dispersed all over the world. PayPal would probably be the best solution for this. It is available pretty much everywhere in the world, and everybody can quickly register for free. The entry fees would all be directed to a volunteer who would then forward the money to the winner of the contest. Needless to say that this volunteer needs to be a trustworthy person, but then again, we are not talking about thousands of dollars here. I would be prepared to do it if I am trusted with it, but if someone else wants to, I do not mind.

Quoted from sdw12umdjc:

I like the idea but the three tc thing is kinda lame. Most of the people here could probably do it with ease against a hard computer.

sdw12umdjc, you do not appear to have understood the point. The question is not whether you can do it, but how fast you can do it! The task itself is supposed to be easy, it is maximizing speed that is the challenge in it.

What I find lame is the "moderate computer" restriction. I am a dedicated online player and do not have the faintest interest opposing the stupid CPU and finding out the weaknesses in its programming. This can cause people to actually mis-learn the game, because strategies that are good against intelligent players can fail against the omniscient but silly CPU, while a silly strategy that exploits the foolishness of the CPU can turn out successful. I really see no incentive researching silly strategies though. It simply does not interest me, and I am confident that I am not alone with that.

I agree that a "moderate" CPU is not much of a threat, but on the other hand, there is a remaining threat that has to be dealt with. I suggest requiring an "easy" CPU for all these challenges (the current one and future ones), so that the CPU plays no role and just prevents the game from ending prematurely.

But basically, I like your idea a lot, a_game_a_win! Having real prices for it would of course make it even more appealing, but means work to organize them. What I could think about is every contestant sending the replay (or a link to it) directly to a_game_a_win (or another volunteer) who keeps it secret until the challenge has timed out. Everyone who desires to compete must pay a very low entry fee, something like $1 or even $0,50. The fee must be so low that all of us, even pupils, will not really feel it in their purse.

However, only 10 people participating would already mean a prize money of $10, which is not a fortune, but still nice to win. I also believe that the simple fact that there is such prize money would cause a lot of attraction towards here, even from AOTS.

The question that would have to be solved is how that money can be collected since AoM players are dispersed all over the world. PayPal would probably be the best solution for this. It is available pretty much everywhere in the world, and everybody can quickly register for free. The entry fees would all be directed to a volunteer who would then forward the money to the winner of the contest. Needless to say that this volunteer needs to be a trustworthy person, but then again, we are not talking about thousands of dollars here. I would be prepared to do it if I am trusted with it, but if someone else wants to, I do not mind.

Oh, and I consider two weeks as a good challenge period.

Darkness is a state of mind
    Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
    Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)

[This message has been edited by DeathAndPain (edited 03-10-2006 @ 06:25 AM).]

posted 10 March 2006 08:21 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
    Why did you make your post twice as long as necessary DaP ??

Expect the unexpectable...
    Ingame name = DoO_VonDutch / VonDutchXV
    posted 10 March 2006 08:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
    He posted the reply to sdw12umdjc twice, purpose of which obviously is to emphasize his own point.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
    AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
    "Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
    "GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 03-10-2006 @ 09:21 AM).]

posted 10 March 2006 09:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
    I recommend not uploading these recs on agesanct, lol. I don't think they would appreciate this kind of....rec spam?
    posted 10 March 2006 10:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
    As i have gathered from the past, while typing up his responses to topics DaP is generally at work, and so it would be unseemly for him to be typing in a 250 word reply in a forum. So he probably inputed his reply into a word processor and then copy/pasted it here, and by error pasted twice.

And now on topic, i think it is a great idea and will be attempting soon.

I love jesus,with every part of my body, does that make me gay?

[This message has been edited by iamyourgod (edited 03-10-2006 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 10 March 2006 12:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
    First attempt, 9 minutes 15 seconds.

I improvised, so I'm sure that time can be improved.

Game

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
    tell tales of evil bad wolves.
    Because if there is nothing to fear,
    they might think for themselves.
    posted 10 March 2006 03:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  

Quoted from DeathAndPain:

True. We want to test 1 variable. So I have changed the mininum settings.

Quoted from chucknthem:

I recommend not uploading these recs on agesanct, lol. I don't think they would appreciate this kind of....rec spam?

Yea I forgot their not to fond of pointless recs. I only said that place because it is kind of difficult to upload recs here. If someone can put instructions on how to upload recs to AoMH (that means explain how and where to zip the game) it would be greatly apprieciated.

Quoted from DeathAndPain:

Having cash prizes is a great idea. The only problem though is that you need a credit card. I know my mom would be leary of why I need a her to use a credit card and then go balistic when I say it is for a contest. However if we are able to get a system working you could manage the money DaP.

For now we will have to keep prizes to Bragging rights.

posted 10 March 2006 04:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
    my first try. Did it at 11:00 min. Sam_Ham is still winning.

Here it is

posted 10 March 2006 09:44 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
    I'll give it a go

also, you should make it only the set of maps you get from 'random' other wise ppl will use costum maps like junt 1 hole with 29347384739 deers on it for uber food eco, lol

[This message has been edited by chucknthem (edited 03-10-2006 @ 09:46 PM).]

posted 10 March 2006 10:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  

Quoted from chucknthem:

also, you should make it only the set of maps you get from 'random' other wise ppl will use costum maps like junt 1 hole with 29347384739 deers on it for uber food eco, lol

Changed

posted 10 March 2006 11:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
    9:10 tundra

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=5023

I think the best time will come out to be around 8:30 or less if someone good does it on medit because of the fishing. my eco management sux on that map, so I only got 10:40 first try and 9:18 second try.

posted 11 March 2006 08:38 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
    Gj. I was thinking the same. Use medit to get fishing. That could easily propell you to heroic in no time flat.

Chucknthem is now winning.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Challenge Quest
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames