Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Box's Guide to Escapes
posted 08 August 2006 05:34 PM EDT (US)   
I have been asked and pushed by multiple people to make a guide for the Escape scenario, so here goes. I'll edit in some screenshots at a later date when I get into another escape game. Feel free to PM me with questions, comments or criticisms.

------------------

Box's Guide to Escapes:

1. What are the Escape games? I've seen different games such as Dannick's, 007's, 003’s, PieGuy's, John's, TINY and Space escapes before on ESO.

Escape is a scenario that usually consists of 4 "runners" and 2 or 1 "Hunters." Similar to Cat and Mouse, the runners are expected to make buildings and passages while the hunters attempt to kill them. There is a timer, usually set 20-30 minutes-- when that timer runs out, the runners win if the hunters haven't killed them yet.

2. There are so many versions-- which ones should I look into using?

Personally, I find that Space and TINY are the only 2 escapes I have ever found fair. Not that the others are "bad" versions, but that Space and TINY require both skilled hunters and skilled runners to play. The other ones tend to be favored in the runner's case-- 2 competent hunters can't possibly win Dannick's, unless their runners are blind, deaf, dumb, and paralyzed.

3. Why do I have to be Kronos?

You can't win in any escape if you don't timeshift-- the runners need to be able to timeshift their towers and sky passages, and smart hunters know to timeshift their temples. Also, sometimes the scenarios don’t work unless everyone is Kronos.

4. What is Auto-Escape

Auto-Escape is an Escape scenario that is like all other escapes except for one thing—the computers are the hunters. I personally like Auto-Escape because it means the hunters are never incompetent. Stupid and predictable, certainly, but at least competent and dangerous. Great practice.

GUIDE TO RUNNERS

It’s not difficult to learn how to be an effective runner. Here are rules and tenants you should follow:

1. TEAMWORK IS KEY, THAT'S THE REASON IT’S THE #1 RULE. Only an escape noobie will say something as foolish as "Hey stop building at my base" after you've timeshifted a sky passage in back of his towers and walls. Unless its actually blocking him in some fashion, teamwork = more survival.

When you see a teammate timeshift one of his SPs in an open area, build a few walls and towers near it. It will be appreciated.

2. KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR LINE-OF-SIGHT EFFECTIVELY. Line-of-sight is key. In a tight situation, he can build a sky passage, timeshift into a safer spot that he/she has a line of sight of and narrowly escape an enemy assault.
Line of sight is also important for general expanding. Although skilled runners know that teamwork is important, building bases and walls farther away from each other means more places to work with.

3. BUILD NEATLY AND QUICKLY. An effective runner has mastered the “shift” key, and always builds in neat lines and squares. Always be careful to not trap yourself in towers. Although you should be able to garrison into one of the towers and then get out, it still wastes time.

4. KNOW THE USEFULNESS OF THE TOWERS PROVIDED FOR YOU. In most scenarios, runners can build both regular towers and Helios mirror towers. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, although most people swear by regular towers—

Regular towers deal more damage over time, and are usually a slightly faster build. They have okay range and line of sight, but can sometimes miss mobs that are very fast. Regular towers are your bread and butter.

Mirror towers deal less damage but have a longer range and they never miss. They also have a greater line of sight. Best to add a few of them into a regular group, especially in places where their extra range becomes of use.

5. IF YOU CAN BUILD QUICKLY, YOU CAN ALSO REPAIR QUICKLY. In many cases, your fast building also means you can repair quickly…which also means that in cases where your hunters have no ranged abilities, you can hold them off with a single wall for the whole game. Abuse your ability to repair.

6. BUILD WALLS IN SETS OF AT LEAST 2 AND ALWAYS MAKE GATES. Walls are stronger than people give them credit for. It’s never wise to just make a single wall and then start spamming towers in back of it. If you make a wall, give it a large enough space to build a gate and build another in back of it… THEN spam towers.

7. DON’T TRAP YOURSELF. God I’ve seen this happen so many times it’s embarrassing. Always have at least two different sky passages in two different areas. A simple but good technique is to build a large base around a single tower and then timeshift that tower elsewhere. Then later, if you need a space for protection, you can timeshift a sky passage back into that safe area. Or, if they happened to attack that first base, they’ll discover their efforts were worthless because there is nothing behind all those towers and walls.

8. GO BACK TO YOUR CRUMBLED RUINS. A stupid hunter will kill one of your bases and then take all the units and move them to a different area… leaving that same old area open to begin rebuilding again. Take advantage of the open space that your opponents rarely suspect you’ll go for.

9. IF GIVEN THE SPACE, BUILD A BASE IN THE STARTING AREA.
Most people insist on moving 5 light years worth of area before they start building. Don’t be a fool— if you are given a large (generally square) area to work with, use it! Places like that gives you space for lots and lots of towers. But remember—don’t get trapped. After you’ve built that starting base, timeshift a sky passage and move on to a different area.

10. WHEN SEARCHING AN OPEN ARE THAT MIGHT HAVE ENEMIES, SPORADICALLY BUILD A SKY PASSAGE. Too many times I’ve walked distances in order to get to a good spot and discovered enemies along the way, blocking my path and ready to kill. If you build a sky passage every 1 or 2 left turns, you’ll have a lot less to worry about.

GUIDE TO HUNTERS:

Hunting is infinitely more difficult than running, but is also infinitely simpler. Here are some things you should think about when hunting:

1. YOUR LINE OF SIGHT IS YOUR GREATEST STRENGTH. Always make a few oracles and spread them around different places. Their line of sight allows you to see a runner making a base or timeshifting key sky passages. Stop your opponents early on and they’ll be paralyzed the rest of the game.

This also means that after you have destroyed an opponent’s base, leave one or two units behind—you’ll want to make sure your runners are constantly forced into new places.

2. DESTROY EVERYTHING THAT GIVES YOUR OPPONENTS A GOOD LINE OF SIGHT. Never leave one or two walls parts intact. They can sometimes provide enough line of sight for an opponent to timeshift into the area. Again, paralyze them early on by limiting their build space, or forcing them into the open.

3. TIMESHIFT YOUR TEMPLE. Be a clever little devil—timeshift your own temples near your opponents bases. The moment your units die from tower shots, they’ll be able to quickly respawn and be back into action.

4. TITANS, GUARDIANS, AND OTHER MASS KILLERS ARE ONLY USEFUL FOR KILLING BUILDINGS. Don’t waste your time chasing after a runner with one of these. Just kill large building structures with them.

5. USE ONLY BUILDING DESTROYERS. Although in most cases you only get 1 or 2 units to choose from, if you get fire giants or behemoths, choose them ONLY. Buildings are more important than killing the actual unit. Don’t waste your time on automatons and manticores.

Replies:
posted 08 August 2006 06:00 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Escape is possibly the easiest game in the world to win as runner.

Here's my guide:

shift + p (or whatever your tower hotkey is)

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 08-08-2006 @ 06:01 PM).]

posted 08 August 2006 06:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Well I guess it depends on what version you played.
posted 08 August 2006 07:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
Sam, try and say that when playing a "TINY" escape-- in that game, it doesn't matter how good you are if you don't work as a team. I've played that game with only 1 hunter instead of 2 and was still beaten within the first 2 minutes because my allies were...noobs. And its pretty difficult to screw up an Escape game.
posted 08 August 2006 09:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
No ghaving people work with you and "help you build your base is retarded (no offence)? Cause now 2 of your 4 hunters are in the same area when you should be more spread out.I normally build wall around the persons sky passage if they try to do anything like that.
posted 09 August 2006 06:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
Here's my guide:

Stop embarassing your parents by playing escapes.

ps I laughed at the 1K+ word guide. I shall link all my friends so we can have a good laugh 11

posted 09 August 2006 09:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
when i read the title, i was thinking of ways of escaping your enemy in battle.

move back a few tiles and right click =)

S k y t h e
posted 09 August 2006 12:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
This is a computer game. As long as your playing something fun that requires at least some finesse, who cares what games you play?

I've already received 3 emails pertaining to my guide from people with further questions.

If you want to be critical next time, at least be constructive. I R n00b, your question and answer thread is at best... crude. You don't even explain build order correctly, all you do is say "4w 6f 3g" :P

posted 09 August 2006 01:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  

Quote:

This is a computer game. As long as your playing something fun that requires at least some finesse, who cares what games you play?

1) Escapes don't require finesse
2) I care what game you play

Quote:

I've already received 3 emails pertaining to my guide from people with further questions

Lol, you did not. Stfu.

Quote:

If you want to be critical next time, at least be constructive. I R n00b, your question and answer thread is at best... crude. You don't even explain build order correctly, all you do is say "4w 6f 3g" :P

I thought you had the brainpower to figure out that w means wood, f means food, g means gold and favor means favor.

posted 09 August 2006 01:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
aww come on n00b, he only made an escape guide. Escapes are kinda fun.
posted 09 August 2006 02:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  

Quote:

1) Escapes don't require finesse
2) I care what game you play

1) We know you don't know what finesse means.
2) Aren't you cute

Quote:

Lol, you did not. Stfu.

I can provide the emails of the people who sent me questions. Although that is beside the point

Quote:

I thought you had the brainpower to figure out that w means wood, f means food, g means gold and favor means favor.

That isn't what I ment, you dolt-- I obviously know what fX gX wX mean. Perhaps I will rephrase: You don't explain an actual build order. All you do is list which villagers should gather what resource. You don't say "1st villagers does X or and 5th villager does Y." Not helpful.

And yes, escapes are fun.

Just sit down while you still can I R Noob.

[This message has been edited by Box_ov_Fox (edited 08-09-2006 @ 02:38 PM).]

posted 09 August 2006 04:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
I like playing escape too but...

Your point against i r n00b's BOs is stupid and makes no sense. Can you tell me the diference is saying 1-7 F vrs. 1st through 7th villigers go to gather food. 1-7 F is just as understandable and gives the same instruction. To anyone asking a specific god question on a specific map will understand this, so he doesnt need to type like he is talking to a brand new player. He wouldnt talk to a new player anyway, he would just make fun of them.

posted 09 August 2006 04:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  

Quote:

1) We know you don't know what finesse means.

I do. And if I didn't, I would have checked an online definition. So stfu and enhance your points, kid.

Quote:

2) Aren't you cute

We have an agreement, lol.

Quote:

I can provide the emails of the people who sent me questions. Although that is beside the point

Lol please do:

1) You will back-up because you don't have the e-mails
2) You spend time making them by yourself
3) You have actually received e-mails

In case of 1) I win, in case of 2) I win cost/time equivalent, in case 3) I win because I will lmfao when I read them.

posted 09 August 2006 05:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Then I'll save my time and choose Option 1 <3

And Havoc, had I know he said "1-7F" then I would not have made the comment I did. But I didn't see that. :-S

[This message has been edited by Box_ov_Fox (edited 08-09-2006 @ 05:37 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Box's Guide to Escapes
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames