Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Odin 6:30 FH suggestion.
posted 16 June 2007 02:59 PM EDT (US)   
I don't play much Odin anymore.
This replay of an 1800+ game where Odin gets a 6:30 heroic(land).
http://agesanctuary.com/index.php?portal=AOM&fview=4&showtopic=87195
It is fairly impressive. As units go, the Odin Jarl is one serious unit(9 second train time for 3 pop highly pop efficient unit, great starting armor, HP, bonus vs. myth and decent speed.)

Getting access to Jarls early and popping out on Jarls and skipping a RC/TA army solves the weaker in comparison to Thor/Loki classical mil problem. When done well, full pop by 10-11 minutes seems possible(which is the usual for most civs on land if you assume very low military losses- early would be a 9:30 for a full pop loki following an early classical advance by fully using longhouse train time bonus and a number of ulfs(while excluding extremely heavy myth summons), and this is full pop with heroic units- That's really powerful.

Even though I don't play Odin regularly anymore, I know some out there enjoy Odin. As far as games go, this is for Vanilla. However, as far as FHs go, they seem to perform better in TT due to free MU. It's conversion to TT should be very possible- I see only one potential problem, and that is that I believe WW is weaker as the trees have 50 less hitpoints, and Myth Units(which is what the trees are) do substantially less damage to heroes in TT than in vanilla, meaning it might be less likely to be able to mob down a just a couple heroes with your trees.

I've attempted to execute a this strat a couple times myself- there is very little room for error. A 7 minute advance vs. a 6:30 advance can mean a failed game. If executed properly, this may be an easy strat counter to
-Ra FH
-Isis FH
-Any variation greek booming strats.

Please, post anything related to this strat and Odin here. I'd be interested if anybody could put this to very good use- or not.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
Replies:
posted 16 June 2007 04:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
I for one have to say WW rapes greek. Sure they have two strong heroes, but if you launch at the same time as you attack, how can he hold both your main attack and the WW threat. And most greeks won't hit heroic until 8:30 ish even if they are FH.

BTW, in order to get an 6:30 the map must of been incredible.
posted 16 June 2007 04:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
As far as I can tell, you need 1600 food after great hunt before moving your hunters. Which means 6 gazelle could cover it.
That makes it a possibility on a lot of land maps.

Vanilla.
posted 16 June 2007 06:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
A 6:30 Heroic? I think that with the two free MUs, a couple of hersir, and god powers, that is pretty much gg.

posted 16 June 2007 07:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Nah if you wanted the free MU and GP you're better off with Ancestors/Eclipse.

posted 16 June 2007 11:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
I saw the game and I think this guy did really nice with a 6:32 FH but I still think his opponent (forgot his name.. something to do with noob) did not play correctly...

I think he could have won using restoration a crucial fight in wich he ran... I think he could have at least tried to raid... But hell yes, WW was used magnificently and it did a serious damage to his eco...

I think the FH can be executed pretty efficiently in almost all high hunt maps but only by Odin and maybe Thor.. Loki would definetely need a lot more luck...
posted 17 June 2007 10:38 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
i always liked playing odin but everyone always tells me that he sucks... that the other 2 norse gods are much stronger, i guess this helps prove it otherwise...
posted 17 June 2007 04:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
6.30 heroic with Odin is a strategy a friend of mine uses on land maps.
Bad thing is when you are being rushed, unexpected. Then your most likely lost.
I think a 8 min. heroic is good enough :P

Expect the unexpectable...
Ingame name = DoO_VonDutch / VonDutchXV
posted 17 June 2007 04:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
well from my experience, and this isn't in the strongest of games... more lower rankings, but even against the smurf's i've faced...

a 6:30 heroic would be better than an 8 minute heroic... simply because the fact that i've noticed most the time... a 5 minute classic is what people prefer to hit... and train time plus time to run to your base would be about like 6 units by the time u hit heroic... and well, your 2 free MU could take out those 6...
posted 17 June 2007 05:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
I love that idea, it's been done to me before but I could never pull it off. I can do like 7:15ish but it really doesn't work against the strats you said it would counter. Then again I'm too lazy to work on it until I can do it expertly.

I dunno if it's on topic or whatever, but my Gaia 6:30 really screws with people, the Dryads, a Stymphalian Bird, Arci, with a Caladria to cover the Bird and others if necessary, is very good. I conclude that any FH inside 7 minutes beats the enemy psychologically, at least at my level, and provides a lot of power all at once which more or less owns Classical armies.

Bitchesssssssssss

I consider that just fine for a sig since I've seen people with "Penis" et cetera.
posted 17 June 2007 11:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
i switch between Odin and Zeus as my two mains and I must admit a FH with Odin is impressive.

Here's what i do.

Advance into classical relatively late. During the transition build a few hersir. Maybe even a couple extra ulfs. Make sure you got econ ups. Hit classical around maybe, oh, idk, 6:00. Go up through freyja.

Now focus your production economically on getting gold. Send your gatherers on gold to food and make dwarfs. Send your ulfs that you have with you to build armory. I got around a 7:30 advance to Heroic. Now, advance through Njord.

With your relatively strong wood supply, because you haven't been building longhouses, it is advised you build a few TA in transition.

Now that you are in Heroic. Build a few jarls.

Army at 8:00-8:30 ish

2-3 ulfs
2 hersir
A few TA
Valkyrie
Mountain Giant
5 Jarls

Gp's

Forest Fire
Walking Woods

A good micro of the looming battle with his classical could be a victory in the game. Now it is important that if your attack/defense fails you keep making villies.

Also, a ram or two never hurts .

It worked for me in a 2v2. Kind of amazing against the Attie Promethean/Turma army.

Now, obviously, you might get rushed. Mentally, Your opponent thinks he has won when he sees ~10 units . But, you are Norse my friend. Your mini army could be efficient enough under tc fire/upgrade towers, but if you get like h4xor rushed, like by a Loki or Kronos, just flood ulfs from your TC to scare him away. Obviously this will rape your econ, but that is the price you must pay for attempting a FH against a rusher.

Works well against Eggy,Greek,Gaia, and sometimes fellow norse. Just the trademark rush civs you must worry about and alter your strat a little.

-Black Sun 88

P.S. All my advance times are times you HIT the age, that is begin it, not click the button and start to advance.

[This message has been edited by BlackSun88 (edited 06-17-2007 @ 11:17 PM).]

posted 20 June 2007 10:04 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Huh, okay. I'm going to follow up on this and try to get a few replays using a 6:30 FH for example.

I play Odin once again!

Vanilla.
posted 21 June 2007 02:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
here is my replay. not too shabby. i am playing sqeuoo. Tips would be appreciated.

http://h1.ripway.com/KinGOfJaZz/index.html

Idk if the link works. It's a site my clan uses.

[This message has been edited by BlackSun88 (edited 06-21-2007 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 21 June 2007 03:09 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
No sample replays yet. I've done a few excellent FH, and then get gold starved in a very Ra-esque manner where I've only got one medium gold mine inside my home and I don't get to forward a hillfort on new gold soon enough.

What is interesting to note is that I'm actually finding it a lot easier to hit 6:30 than I thought in addition to getting that one longhouse up during transition to heroic to produce builders while still immediately putting up a hillfort! Not only that, but even if I don't have a large hunting spot I can up 6:30 with the addition of herdables!

All it takes is careful control on wood to gather precisely enough for the armory+husbandry. In addition, I can always end up with an oxcart for wood before going to heroic(which helps significantly in getting the wood for the hillfort+houses+TA+longhouse). I'm also pleased to find that constant unit+vil production once in heroic is not hard at all.

Vanilla.
posted 21 June 2007 03:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
I'll just have to wait for squeoo to post it.

[This message has been edited by BlackSun88 (edited 06-21-2007 @ 03:16 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Odin 6:30 FH suggestion.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames