Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide: Thor vs Isis on a Hunting Map
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 14 October 2007 09:09 AM EDT (US)   
Hi all,

Preface

This is a guide to beating the best god in the game, known as Isis. You will be playing the god which is said to be best against Isis, known as Thor. That being said, Thor is not superior to Isis. There is no god in the game that would be at an advantage against Isis. Thor is just not as inferior to Isis as most other gods are.

The following describes a tactics that I have worked out over hundreds (if not thousands) of games against Isis. It is my personal tactics. I am not claiming that it is the only thing that can be done, but it is what works best for me, and I can really recommend it.

It especially is a tactics that does not rely on the Ragnarok + Flaming Weapons power. You can play that combo along with this tactics, but the tactics is designed to fight and defeat Isis in real combat. This especially means that the game will not be boring, because you will not try to FM asap in order to get your single shot Ragnarok, with which you will win or die trying. The tactics you are about to read allows to deal with all advantages that Isis has and still fight and defeat her with success. I have described it before in several threads, but here it is again in a compiled and hopefully comprehensive form.

Note that most of this guide can also be used against Ra, since from Thor's standpoint, Isis and Ra play similarly. The main difference is that from Ra you can expect roc drops, while Isis will usually come up with anc/ecl.

Archaic Age

You advance late for an ultra-heavy econ. Your goal is to FH quickly, for which you need a strong classical economy. For that reason, you make (in the following order if possible):

• You may or may not start out making a second ulf. Making him means sacrificing a little speed in return for better scouting.

• 8 hunters with hunting dogs and pig sticker. Research Hand Axe as soon as you can spare the 120 food without lacking food for more vills.

• 6 Gatherers to wood, complete with a cart of their own. Research Pick Axe once you can spare the 120 wood without running out of houses or ox carts.

• 6 Dwarves to gold, complete with cart.

• Build your temple defensively at your home base. This is imperative due to your late advance, but poses no real problem. You will grasp map control later.

Advance with Forseti for Hersirs that can counter the awesome Eggy myth units and ulfsarks that will make an excellent job against enemy elephants. You also get a Healing Spring, but do not cast it before heroic age unless the opponent attempts a barracks-based rush.

• Start your armory during the advance. This way your ulfsark has something useful to do. You need the armory for the FH as wel las cheap Thor ups.

Classical Age

Noticing your late advance, some Isises may decide to make barracks units and rush you. However, Isis does not advance early either, and her classical units suck. If she does classical rush, she cannot go FH, so you engage her in classical battle, where your units are better. However, most Isises will go FH.

• Make two or three longhouses near your temple (i.e. near your home base). This prepares production capacity in case of a rush while costing you only some wood, of which you have plenty thanks to your powerful economy. Do not use these longhouses yet unless you scout enemy barracks or barracks units. Keep your temple on aq hersirs and grasp any relics that you can get, preferably valuable ones. However, if you are not classical-rushed, then stop hersir production when you have 3 or 4 hersirs. You need the money for the heroic advance.

• Only if you are classical-rushed: Make sure you have at least 3 longhouses and spam RC/TA. Use your armory to get cheap Thor ups. Normally, numbers are more important, but you already have the armory and excess resources thanks to your late advance. If you do not mess up, you can beat back the Isis rush.

The usual case, however, is that the Isis heads straight for FH, so that is what the rest of this guide focuses on.

• Set one of your hersirs on guard order on the ox cart of your hunters, because you can be sure that Isis' free sphinx will be searching for them. You may also task your free troll with the same guard order, but one hersirs there is imperative.

• With regard to your plentiful resources, the inclination is now great to grasp a second TC. Don't. It will cause you to reach heroic too late, and not getting hill forts and the Hall of Thanes upgrade in time. Consider it an unbreakable guideline not to take a TC before you got a hill fort. Also, do not make more than three longhouses before heroic age.

• Instead, get Hall of Thanes (HoT) asap. It will make the difference against the overpowered enemy myth that you are sure to face. This includes sphinxes, scorpions, and of course anc/ecl.

Heroic Age

• Advance to heroic age asap worshipping Bragi. As soon as you have started the advance, set your temple back on aq hersirs and manually make more hersirs in your longhouses! You were saving your resources for heroic, but now that you have paid for it, you need hersirs for the anc/ecl that is sure to come. Make sure you get HoT before anc/ecl occurs! See that you get 8 hersirs quickly. After that, set your longhouses to aq RC.

• Often enough, you will find yourself being able to get to heroic even before Isis does. Once in heroic, immediately make a hill fort. This must be built forward, at a strategically important location from which you control a TC and at least one remote gold mine. You should endeavor to make a second hill fort near the first one asap afterwards.

• Once you have 1-2 hill forts, you are free to take TCs, preferably starting with the one near your hill fort(s). Set your hill forts to aq huskarls! Do not make any jarls. They are overrated and lose even to Isis' myth units. In all cases where you would make jarls, use RC instead (use HoT hersirs to beat his myth. Unlike jarls, HoT hersirs can actually do the job.) All good Isises start out spamming chariots against you. RC alone will be too weak to beat those. Huskarls alone can be countered too easily with axemen. However, a mixture of RC from your longhouses, huskarls from your hill forts, and HoT hersirs against her myth is a very powerful army that Isis will have great difficulties dealing with. Note that RC have the same combat power as jarls, but are faster and better against chariots. Huskarls have the same combat power as ulfsarks, but are faster and better against chariots as well and can also fight non-chariot units while chariots are firing at them from the second row. Huskarls can also fight phants as long as those are low in number. Since elephants are expensive and train very slowly, no Isis can spam a lot of them quickly, not in early heroic age.

• That being said, research Swine Array and Call of Valhalla asap in your longhouses. You want to be able to unleash powerful Forseti+Bragi ulfsarks once the Isis dedicates a considerable amount of pop to elephants. This is quite likely to happen when she sees you fight primarily with husks and RC. Do not be afraid of camels. These pretty much tie with RC and lose to huskies, so camels need not trigger a change in your unit composition.

• She will likely mix in axemen when she sees your huskarls. Do not be impressed by that, but of course micro your huskies on her chariots. Use RC to fight the axemen. The more axemen you encounter, the more RC you use. Add longhouses when you can. You want her to dedicate pop in axemen, because axes are slow and crappy units that are only good against your infantry. Any pop invested in axemen is pop not invested in phants, chariots, and siege towers. Use your RC to take out any siege towers that you spot. Remember that RC get a fat bonus against siege.

If she is bringing a phant/axe mix, respond with ulfs/RC. Your Forseti up helps your ulfs survive against both while they kill the phants, and your RC are superior to the axemen and any priests that you see running around. Add as many battle boars as you can muster. They are good against everything, but especially against her buildings. If you run low on favor, make more HoT hersirs in your temple and counter her myth with them.

Avoid making any TA. All of your units are fast ones (even your hersirs), which is a huge advantage for you. TA would slow down your army movements considerably. You should be able to defeat any Eggy unit combination without TA. Against spears, use husks/ulfs/RC. Against axemen, use RC. Keep your armory busy until you have at least full bronze.

• Place your healing spring near your forward hill forts. Optimal is a position where both hill forts and the nearby TC protect the spring. This is a location from which you control the map and where your wounded units can quickly get to. Now it would prove a fat mistake if you had placed your spring at your home longhouses earlier in the game. Make sure to use the spring as often as possible.

Mythic Age

• From there, dominate the map, establish a trading route and advance to mythic age. Once your advance has begun, aq vills in all your TCs in preparation for ragnarok. Try to gain time so that you can make more vills and stockpile resources for titan gate and past-rag time with them. Research the gate before rag if possible. Make sure to get as many ups as possible. You should especially have full iron hack and pierce armor before rag. However, once you are being raided or losing ground due to the diminishing pop available to your military, cast ragnarok.

• Right after casting ragnarok, make the titan gate if you managed to research it. Use your remaining ragnarockers to attack. Pick multiple targets for them (two or three). One target should be a rear TC of him that is likely to be undefended. The other heroes attack his front so he cannot move his army back to defend. Manually queue up several vills in all your TCs so the food needed for them is reserved. Set the rally point of the TCs to their adjacent farms, so your food income is automatically re-established when your pop drops back below the limit after ragging. You should have continuous gold income all the time thanks to your trading route.

• When you are again making regular troops, make sure to get Sons of Sleipnir asap. With these you can practically disable his chariots and render them worthless. Next thing that you get are Baldr rams with engineers and draft horses. Use these to finish him off.

Example
    All that theory is cool, but what does this tactics look like in a real game?

Here is a nice example that I played: http://freenet-homepage.de/Death/replays/Example_Game_Dap_strat_vs_Isis.rcx

One mistake that you should not copy is my low number of longhouses. I should have made considerably more in heroic age. Other than that, I think the example is pretty good. Oh, and the first 20 seconds were pretty crappy. Close your eyes until these are over.

Darkness is a state of mind
    Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
    Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
  • Replies:
    posted 14 October 2007 09:36 AM EDT (US)     1 / 59  
    Did not watch the rec but did read the guide completely, this is a very great guide and I enjoyed and learned a good bit reading it, I have a couple questions...

1. Is there a button you can press (hotkey) to set unit to defend another unit (for the hersir defending ox carts).

2. RC lose dramatically to elephants, so if he doesn't have a considerable amount of pop dedicated to elephants but does have a couple running around, should you still make ulfsarks?

3. The axeman/elephant combo is a strong one, and you said to use ulfsarks and raiding cavalry... wouldn't it be easier to throw some trolls in (under different hotkey so not to slow down the army) or battle boars in for the axeman, and just use the ulfsarks against elephants.

4. I know the opponent is egyptian, but shouldn't we throw in some myth units, your strategy's defined have no myth units at all except one mention of a troll which you said is unnecessary, are MU really this bad against egyptian?

thanks DaP.

great guide.

*edit*

I remember once that you stated there was another strategy you have used involving skadi where you frost his first miggy builders and finish the game about this time, are you going to put mention of it in this guide?

Also wanted to know by "hunting map" which maps in particular you meant.

Do you mean all that is not fishing (and oasis)?

or do you mean tundra, marsh, savannah, watering hole?

[This message has been edited by Squeoo (edited 10-14-2007 @ 09:41 AM).]

posted 14 October 2007 09:46 AM EDT (US)     2 / 59  
    DaP shows his l33t sk1llz again.
    I always like it when he teaches us his secrets ( only happens on rare occasions, i would like to play&learn with/from him )

Gratz DaP, its a fine guide.

Noobs do not excist.
    There are just players and better players.
    posted 14 October 2007 10:50 AM EDT (US)     3 / 59  
    nice guide
    posted 14 October 2007 11:34 AM EDT (US)     4 / 59  
    Awesome guide.
    posted 14 October 2007 11:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 59  
    lol, loving the 2 word posts.
    posted 14 October 2007 12:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 59  
    Nice job DaP. Looks like I'll have a guide of the month after all.

posted 14 October 2007 12:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 59  
    Great Warrior!
    Great Guide!
    especially is a tactics that does not rely on the Ragnarok + Flaming Weapons power. You can play that combo along with this tactics, but the tactics is designed to fight and defeat Isis in real combat.
    nice XD
    preferably starting with the one near your hill fort(s). Set your hill forts to aq huskarls! Do not make any jarls.
    Once I saw you say that you were making hillforts, I'm like "DaP is never gonna tell us to make jarls, he is always telling us that they suck" and then, sure enough, I see "Do not make Jarls!"

I wish i could play Thor, for some reason, Norse has always been hard for me.

Sorry about our game, I had a power outage. :S
    And i was just about to spam thoth elies. :S

Thank God SCII finally has a release date but it so so damn far away...
    ESO Name: AoTH_ZoOkEePeR
    posted 14 October 2007 12:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 59  
    Wow, nice guide DaP.

One thing: You should really operationally define "hunting maps" as this guide is probably going to be read by a lot of new people.
    posted 14 October 2007 01:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 59  
    lol I knew this was coming. Now, if the human race gets wiped out by an asteroid, the rebels that flee in a spacecraft shall forever know that DragonQ and DeathAndPain were the only users of AOMH that won Guide of the Month!

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
    There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me...
    posted 14 October 2007 03:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 59  
    T3h Gu1d3 Cr4z 15 0v4 1M0

[This message has been edited by Ferral (edited 10-14-2007 @ 03:07 PM).]

posted 14 October 2007 06:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 59  
    And I bet you wait for 13:37 every day...

Thousands of games against Isis though? Really? I'm impressed.

Question: Since you are ragging and using a titan, how long is it before you can resume villager production if the Isis successfully repels your attack?

posted 14 October 2007 07:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 59  
    1 W41T f0r 13:37 l1k3 B311ph0rn s34rch35 f0r h15 l05t p3g4sus

posted 14 October 2007 07:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 59  
    Question: Since you are ragging and using a titan, how long is it before you can resume villager production if the Isis successfully repels your attack?
    Good thing he has trade. XD
    Hopefully you can kill his econ and make his econ as bad as yours.

Anyway...
    TT is never too great of an idea against isis.

Sorry for the double post XD

[This message has been edited by Ferral (edited 10-14-2007 @ 07:03 PM).]

posted 14 October 2007 07:41 PM EDT (US)     14 / 59  
    Awesome Guide
    posted 14 October 2007 11:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 59  
    posted 14 October 2007 11:50 PM EDT (US)     16 / 59  
    How do you defend against him A/Eing your villagers while most of your hersirs are building the forward fort?

If they A/E to try to keep me from getting my fort up, my hersirs can sometimes fight it off, but if they A/E in my economy, even though I do get the fort up, it hurts a lot.

Is the best way just to make sure no priest, obelisk, or sphinx survives long enough to do it?
    posted 15 October 2007 00:07 AM EDT (US)     17 / 59  
    Haaaahahahahahaha.

On-topic: This is a good and very specific guide. However, when I went on AgeSanct and posted a game of me FH'ing there at 7:26 on Marsh against Isis, they told me that they would rather 2 tc boom. I don't know. I think both versions can work, but the good players there said go 2 tc... So, I guess they have a point. Ignore the fact that my opponent was noob, and you could have gone Forseti if you'd liked ^^ I posted it because that is the fastest I've FH'd as Thor, and my eco was fine.

ESO names: Ancient_Caboose, Ancient_CaboZeus

[This message has been edited by Caboose_Nor (edited 10-15-2007 @ 00:19 AM).]

posted 15 October 2007 03:16 AM EDT (US)     18 / 59  
    1. Is there a button you can press (hotkey) to set unit to defend another unit (for the hersir defending ox carts).
    By default, you need to click an icon in order to issue a "guard" order. However, it is possible to set up a hotkey for this by making an entry in the user.con file. Some also talk about a downloadable "mod" for this, although I consider the term "mod" exaggerated in this case. I believe xentelian's package also contains it.

Having a hotkey for this also has the advantage that you can also use it for units that have no attack (like ox carts "guarding" the wood-cutting villager). The corresponding icon does not exist for these units, so you cannot issue the order without setting up the hotkey.
    2. RC lose dramatically to elephants, so if he doesn't have a considerable amount of pop dedicated to elephants but does have a couple running around, should you still make ulfsarks?
    Depends on circumstances. When the enemy starts making phants, setting one longhouse to aq ulfs is basically not a bad idea. However, remember that in early heroic age you only have three longhouses. If you dedicate one of them to ulfs, your percentage of RC (cavalry) on the battlefield can quickly become so low that axemen counter your whole army. A 50:50 RC/infantry ratio is desirable and should remain your goal. Eggy has no hard cav counter, so RC are always good.

You can beat one or two early elephants with huskarls and RC np. Remember that huskarls are equal to standard ulfsarks against hack-dealing opponents. Like standard ulfs, they do not beat phants pop-wise, but they are good enough to outnumber and kill a few early ones, especially as they train way faster.

Best is if you can erect a few more longhouses before making ulfs. In an emergency, you can also have your forward TC add the needed ulfs to your army.
    3. The axeman/elephant combo is a strong one, and you said to use ulfsarks and raiding cavalry... wouldn't it be easier to throw some trolls in (under different hotkey so not to slow down the army) or battle boars in for the axeman, and just use the ulfsarks against elephants.
    Sure. In the guide I said:
    Add as many battle boars as you can muster. They are good against everything
    However, remember that you need favor for HoT, Mithril Breastplate, Swine Array and Call of Valhalla. You need these, and there will typically not be much fighting before you get to heroic. The important thing is to get hold of 10 favor for HoT before anc/ecl occurs. So early on you are not in a good position to spam myth. However, you are making hersirs during this period, which generate some favor while being idle and bring in twice the favor when fighting.

Trolls are not a good choice when you are going FH. Early on you do not have the favor, and later you can get boars, which are among the best myth units in the game. They also fit nicely into your 100% high speed unit army, especially with the optional Thurisaz Rune upgrade which will also benefit your titan later. Of course you will set your temple on aq for them once you can afford them. But you better do not count on them for beating axes, because your favor is limited. You also mentioned another drawback of trolls yourself: They cannot move as quickly as the rest of your army can.

However, the RC is one of the best (possibly the best) general-purpose unit in the game, and as such excellently suited to fight a hard counter that counters a different unit type. You also need RC to kill enemy priests. Make sure to task your RC on the priests manually, like 2-3 per priest. On their own, they will choose the nearby enemy with the highest attack, and that is almost never the priest, so priests can stand right in the middle of the battle and remain unscathed if you do not micro your men on them.

RC are there to add cavalry-type units to your army, and since they are basically excellent, this is in no way a waste. Of course you should also use some to look out for spots that you can raid.
    4. I know the opponent is egyptian, but shouldn't we throw in some myth units
    Yes, and the guide tells you to. Already answered in 3., and well visible in the example replay. Make boars in heroic and switch to fire giants in mythic age.
    I remember once that you stated there was another strategy you have used involving skadi where you frost his first miggy builders and finish the game about this time
    I dimly remember that one. I believe it was the suggestion of someone else, and my stance was like: "Yes, might work, but a risky approach." Like FM for rag/FW, this would be a one-shot-strategy. If it does not win you the game, you are standing without counter to elephants and are therefore almost sure to lose. I do not like such approaches (although I agree that they can work), and I have never played this. As I mentioned before, my guide is not the only possible way to effectively fight Isis. But it is a good way, IMHO, one that can also deal with scorp spammers (something that jarls can never do), and one that leads to games that are fun.
    Also wanted to know by "hunting map" which maps in particular you meant.

Do you mean all that is not fishing (and oasis)?

or do you mean tundra, marsh, savannah, watering hole?
    Primarily the latter, but I believe you can basically play this style also on Oasis, especially when you are prepared to look out for the giraffes that are almost always there. In fact, I think that it is far from being bad on Oasis, because your main unit production are RC, husks, and boars, all units with low or zero food usage. You will also need hersirs against MU, but this food expense is inevitable. Jarls would also cost a lot of food and still fail at the job of defeating the enemy MU. However, you may have to tweak the build order a little for the simple reason that you cannot get the required food as quickly as on a typical hunting map.

In fact, it should basically also work on a non-Mediterranean fishing map, although naval combat means that you will have to interpret the guide in a rather loose manner in this case.
    Now, if the human race gets wiped out by an asteroid, the rebels that flee in a spacecraft
    Rebels? Do you think that there is much point in a rebellion against an asteroid?
    Thousands of games against Isis though? Really? I'm impressed.
    Fact is that I have been playing this game since vanilla v1.00 came out, and I have far more than 10,000 games total (probably more than 20,000 games). Since some of my accounts have decayed away, I am no longer able to give exact numbers. I also cannot tell how many of these were Isises, but well, Isis is not exactly a rare opponent to encounter.
    Depends on how quickly my ragnarockers are dying. I am not measuring that time, and it is not a constant. Of course you should not waste time and attack immediately with every man that is not busy on the gate, because she is gathering and you are not. But I am still getting good gold from the trading route, and the instant my pop drops below max, my TCs are spamming out new farmers. Note that this is in no way like initial econ buildup in archaic age, because you are spamming vills out of 3 TCs instead of one, because the farms are already built and ready, requiring no wood and no working time to be created, and because your farmers are already FU the instant they are made. One vill trains 14 seconds, so within one minute, I can have more than 12 new FU farmers back on the job!

Typically, you will leave your longhouses and hill forts on aq during the rag, so that you instantly get new troops when you drop back below pop limit. This is no problem for your vill production, because the units with the lower pop usage typically spawn first, and vills are 1 pop. However, it is important to manually queue up like 5 vills in all of your TCs, so that you immediately pay (reserve) the food for them while you still have it, and your longhouses cannot drain you off food before your farming is re-established. You can set your TCs on aq later. But be careful: You will not need that many new vills, especially with your gold being covered by your caravans, and the danger of training too many new vills is high, which would cause pop to lack for your military.
    TT is never too great of an idea against isis.
    I disagree. Even Nephtys priests do not have an easy job killing a titan, and you are not supposed to send in the titan alone. Let it be accompanied by the rag heroes that dug it out, and micro these to attack the priests while the titan takes out her migdols and TCs. When your pop drops back below max, use RC or husks to kill her priests. Even Nephtys priests suck against both of these.

Also remember that your titan enjoys the speed enhancement from the Thurisaz rune. Since she uses her eclipse on anc/ecl way earlier, she will not be able to boost her titan.
    How do you defend against him A/Eing your villagers while most of your hersirs are building the forward fort?
    a/e is a very strong power, and you cannot negate it at a place other than where your hersirs are. Fortunately, you opted to make them fast. Basically, your vills will have to run in this case. This also depends which vills he casts it on.

• Your hunters may be doomed, but you are already in heroic age and can slowly switch to farms. If there is ample hunting left, take some woodies off wood and perhaps add a cart for a new hunting group. A few of your hunters may survive by running towards your hersirs, with your fast hersirs running up to them.

• Your gold miners can mine at a mine that is covered by your hill fort, which also means that they are near your army, including your hersirs.

• Your wood cutters can garrison in towers and TC, as they are typically near your home base.

Note that your hersirs can practically negate the anc/ecl if he casts it near them. You need to micro them at the ancs manually as they spawn, so that they will not fight any regular units that he may be bringing at the same time. It is also a good idea to have like 2 hersirs near your home base, so that he cannot raze your home TC with anc/ecl.
    Is the best way just to make sure no priest, obelisk, or sphinx survives long enough to do it?
    Sphinxes are tough and fast units. You cannot prevent his sphinx from reaching your base. But that is not the problem. The problem is him sending his free sphinx + his free scorp + another scorp and then casting anc/ecl near your home base. This force can tear down your home TC in early heroic even if you have upgraded towers. Two guarding HoT hersirs can help making things safer. The danger is over once you can afford the masons upgrade, because it not only adds TC hp, but also tremendously increases your TC hack armor. However, it is a very costly and defensive upgrade, so do not get it before you can really afford it.
    I think both versions can work, but the good players there said go 2 tc...
    I r noob once played a demonstration game against another elite player (Spoeft or someone) for me. I r noob played Isis, the other guy Thor. Before the game, I r n00b said that he would be spamming myth, and that his opponent should show me how to counter it. I remember his opponent saying up front that this was a very difficult job to do. Spamming myth is one of the strongest tactics that Isis can play. Scorps are just so damn tough. It appeared to be a tough challenge even though he knew up front what he was up to.

What he did do was go Forseti, make the forward migdols, place the spring there, and not get another TC before that. He defeated i r n00b and won the game. I learnt a lot from that game (although I no longer have the replay). I tried jamming in a second TC in a million games, but I found that I always get overrun by the Isis when I do. It simply slows me down too much. I end up not having the wood for the timely HoT upgrade, or find myself unable to pay for the hill fort in heroic age, or do not get enough hersirs, or simply hit heroic too late and am outspammed with chariots.

Go ahead and try it. Try to play 2 TC against a halfway decent Isis and try to get away with it.

Those on AOTS are typically the standard FM -> Rag -> FW players. For that purpose, a second TC may be good so that you get more vills for the rag faster. You then attempt to hit mythic for the decisive ragnarok so quickly that Isis does not have the time to field enough units to defeat your inferior troops before you get there. Nemesis invented this strat and once surprised GP_Intel with it, claiming #1 position. But GP_Intel quickly adapted to this strat and took the throne back. Now that everybody expects it when he sees a Thor player, the surprise element is gone. It is still an effective tactics against many players, but I disagree that it must be played. But that is a totally different approach anyway. A typical one-shot approach that may or may not work, but that will result in a boring game either way. Not a choice for me. I rather enjoy the early map control that the early forward hill forts with center spring provide. This does not prevent Isis to get her remote gold mine where she erects her hill fort, but it does put her under heavy pressure early on, because you control the map. She will need combat units quickly and in numbers and is not in a position to outboom you in TCs, or you will simply overrun her.

• posted 15 October 2007 03:40 AM EDT (US)     19 / 59  
    Yes, you said it. The way to do it is to sacrifice an early HoT. So if you don't want to do that then you shouldn't 2 tc I guess.

And yeah, it's a fun strat that you've set up. But 2 tc doesn't necessarily mean fast rag. It boosts your eco either way.

ESO names: Ancient_Caboose, Ancient_CaboZeus

[This message has been edited by Caboose_Nor (edited 10-15-2007 @ 03:44 AM).]

posted 15 October 2007 04:29 AM EDT (US)     20 / 59  
    But you will be overrun. At least I always am. Not going 2 TC solved the problem for me.

posted 15 October 2007 06:16 AM EDT (US)     21 / 59  
    2 tcs in classical + fh is a big nono. Anyway, can't say I agree with all of this... it seems as if you play too passive, will have to get a few games in with you ^^ Good job on the guide.

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
    -Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
    -Vagabond Tom.

posted 15 October 2007 06:46 AM EDT (US)     22 / 59  
    Rebels? Do you think that there is much point in a rebellion against an asteroid?
    Did I mention it was a living alien asteroid...thing?

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
    There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me...
    posted 15 October 2007 03:57 PM EDT (US)     23 / 59  
    Nemesis invented this strat and once surprised GP_Intel with it, claiming #1 position. But GP_Intel quickly adapted to this strat and took the throne back.
    Why must you always tell us about that :S

posted 15 October 2007 04:24 PM EDT (US)     24 / 59  
    What's the counter to the counter to the counter?

DaP is amazing.

posted 15 October 2007 04:40 PM EDT (US)     25 / 59  
    thnx dap
    posted 15 October 2007 05:45 PM EDT (US)     26 / 59  
    im going to watch the recording when i get home from school guide looks good and i will try it when i verse an isis next.
    posted 15 October 2007 11:05 PM EDT (US)     27 / 59  
    Your wood cutters can garrison in towers and TC, as they are typically near your home base.
    Yeah, I usually end up losing the towers (and houses around them) plus a handful of vills anyway.

I haven't been making hall of thanes a priority though, and that could be why it hurts so much.
    posted 16 October 2007 01:42 AM EDT (US)     28 / 59  
    Hall of Thanes makes a big difference against anc/ecl, mainly because eclipsed ancs are fast, and your hersirs need to catch them in order to deliver their deadly blows. No anc survives many hersir strikes, but without HoT ancs outrun hersirs pretty well.
    Yeah, I usually end up losing the towers (and houses around them) plus a handful of vills anyway.
    The home base towers are not that important against Eggy. If it is only those that you lose to anc/ecl, and not your TC, you are fine. Normally, you will not need to rebuild them, and if you do anyway, you can easily pay for it in heroic age and choose the location of the new tower more wisely than that of the original one.

Houses are rebuilt in near zero time by your front forces, which can protect your hill forts with them.

Important is that your home TC does not go down, because if that happens in early heroic age, without you having a second one yet, then you are done for.

posted 16 October 2007 04:59 PM EDT (US)     29 / 59  
    Finally a guide by DAP, a sensible forumer and also reasonably good plyer. He knows what he is saying and that I have noticed in all his posts.
    Guide is really good and well written. No doubt this is our guide of the month. That being said, still I want to point out one important thing that I think DAP did do wrong in this replay (please correct me if I am wrong). He gave mythic age advance order on the forward TC and it went down just be4 the completion of the advancement. I think that was a mistake by DAP. It is always wise to age advance on the safest TC. Am I right DAP?

Great guide but I will stick to ISIS :-p.

"Nullo metro compositum est."
    "It doesn't rhyme."

"Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema."
    "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

[This message has been edited by pshuk (edited 10-16-2007 @ 05:01 PM).]

posted 16 October 2007 05:40 PM EDT (US)     30 / 59  
    ^Depends on the situation I suppose.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Guide: Thor vs Isis on a Hunting Map
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames