You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to Centaurs and how to use them
posted 08 January 2008 04:51 PM EDT (US)   
~Centaurs and how to use them~

(Written by IAmJudge)

This is a guide i made in my spare time about my favourite myth unit. Considered OP by a very good special and the ability to retreat quickly or evenly matched due to having some weaknesses, I still think it's a damn good myth unit.

Now the basics.

Centaur Details:

Cost is 200 wood and 12 favor.
    It has 220 hitpoints. With Sylvan Lore it has 275.
    It's speed is 5.00. With Sylvan Lore it is 6.25
    The special attack is a focused shot which does 50 pierce vs human and it's 100% vs myth allows it to do 100 pierce damage to myth on the special.
    The special takes 15 seconds to recharge.
    The line of sight is 20.
    The building time is 22 seconds.
    30% Hack armor
    34% Pierce armor
    And it does 12 pierce damage.

Now that the techincal bit is over, we can focus on why Centaurs are considered OP by some.

Interesting facts:

2 combined special shots can kill a villager.
    With the Sylvan Lore upgrade (which i will talk about later) a Centaur can outrun HoT hersirs.
    They cost 3 pop, which is the same as some human units and very pop effective for a myth unit.
    Zeus as well as Poseidon can get Centaurs. Hard luck Hades, this god will not be present in this guide.
    They will outrun almost every classic unit and are one of the fastest myth in the game (all in classical!).
    It has a 100% accurate shot.
    They get an upgrade worth getting- it is called Sylvan Lore.

Sylvan Lore

This is a very investive upgrade which i would get if you are doing the famous Centaur rush or if you have some wood to invest. It costs 300 wood and 20 favor, and it will pay itself back, considering it takes 40 seconds to get the upgrade.

It does a number of things:

+25% hitpoints (considering Centaurs are fairly low hitpointed and they have weak armor)
    +30% speed (to escape when outnumbered, faced with fast heroes such as turma or if under severe fire)
    Renames the Centaurs "Centaur Polemarch"

Centaur Rush or Centaur Strangle

This is one of the best stratagies known to Zeus/Poseidon as it works against most civs except Egyptian due to ranged heroes and free towers. I would only use Centaurs if i had cavalry to back them up so that the Centaurs can take care of any human units.

The one problem is that if he has a few priests and/or a pharaoh he can kill a centaur and injure another one, depending on his luck, retreat into a TC/tower, gaining rather than losing as pharaoh costs nothing and does not take that long to return. You must have a hero and cavalry to take care of any myth spam or enemy heroes. But due to the better GP and a ranged unit, i would go Hermes, so i could have a chance of ceasefiring a forward TC/the dreaded a/e, or a "panic" button.

It also may not work against a Loki as they will have hersirs and most likely rush and advance at about the same time as you.

It works best against atlantean due to their vunerability to myth and their lack of heroes early enough, especially against Gaia. Unfortuately, this leaves one counter against Centaurs as manors can hold citizens and they will most likely be garrisoned before the Centaurs do their special.

Atlantean will get heroes anyway so it is better to "evolve" into hippikon raids or to start making an army once he has rebuilt and is raid proof.

Norse have vunerable ox carts which when are killed will stop income at that spot for about half a minute. He will realise that his ox cart has been killed which may take a few second, then he has to make it, then he has to send it to where the previous ox cart was.

Greek will be crippled earlier on, especially if he is booming. It is better to go Centaurs vs Greek, as raiding wood vs Greek will distract his eco big time. If you are Zeus and you have bolt and you are threatened by a greek archaic hero, bolt it! It will effect his classic time therefore making him defenceless untill he is in the classic age.

When doing the Centaur rush, you must always remember a few things. Hell, i'll even throw a BO in. This BO helped me to get to 1700 by using the Centaur Rush, and i beat a 17+ Oranos with Zeus. Read it, write it down, learn it back to front, as long as you remember it. Just remember it's not mine.

Disclaimer: This build order is from:
http://aomzeus.googlepages.com/buildingorders and i pay full compliments to that site, it is not made by me. This is simply copied and pasted with no edits to it.

Zeus Centaur Rush BETA

H + v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v...
    First 3 vills food.
    Scout.
    3 more vills food.
    Vill builds house, then temple.
    Yet 4 vills more to food.
    Stop vills until 400 food and advance.
    *While advancing move 9 vills to food and 1 to temple.* U should have 9 wood, 3 food, 2 praying.
    After advance send 5 vills to food.

~

The advance time will be about 3:45-4:15 depending on how you did the rush and if you got any eco upgrades, etc. Following that build order to every detail will help your rush a lot and structure it better too. Try to even make your own once you get good. Just remember that your economy will be weak, but when Centaur Rush is used correctly, it can be very effective and it could get you the win.

So, one you get to classical you must:

Continue making villagers so that you have sufficient eco to continue making Centaurs and add more to favor if needs be.
    Once you advance send your first Centaur to around their base to scout around the TC avoiding TC fire (set a mark point via the temple to their hunting for example).
    Make a second centaur, then raid.
    Get the Sylan Lore upgrade- this is so they can retreat with ease as the opposition will probably have advanced by now and have some defence.
    Produce more Centaurs and AQ them
    Continue searching for hunting/gold mines/TC builds with Centaurs.
    When you think he has an army make one to counter his, still raiding when there are stalemates and/or in battles.

Why they do the job
      In my opinion, it's almost as if they are meant to be raiders. They are fast, yet vunerable. They are ranged, which can make them harder to catch, so that you can take a shot at a distance untill found out, retreat, and repeat over and over again. You must remember to micro Centaurs so that they don't become mislead (i.e running into tower fire) or run into armies/heroes etc and die. Do not let them be beaten by their weaknesses

Why pick Hermes over Athena?
      This is a good question. Again, it depends on the stratagy you wish to perform. Will you use cavalry and raid a lot? Will you rush the enemy and cripple his economy earlier on? Do you want a god power which can save you in so many different situations? If yes, you pick Hermes.

So, when would you pick Athena?
      It is up to you. Do you want better hoplites? Are you going to go for a Minotaur/Hoplite rush for the TC and would you use restoration to do so? Are you going to get the upgrades? Will you do a Hoplite/Toxotes with myth against norse? If yes, you pick Athena.

Centaur raiding normally is not as effective, as you have to get a speed advantage or to Centaur raid a lot to make a difference.

My Opinion

While they are pop-effective and excellent raiders, unfortunatly I don't feel that all of them are required in a battle, as they are easily ripped apart by heroes. They are better used for raids.

I do feel that they are expensive, like all myth, but also like all myth, they have strengths against human units and other myth units. You can raid with them only needing a few whereas hippikons need more numbers and the villagers will be garrisoned and he can prepare against hippikon attacks. Hippikons have more chance to be trapped/killed due to even worse armor then Centaurs.

Crennelation also does not effect the 100% bonus towers do to cavalry, even though it can still hit them, making them OP raiders. They are prone to archer fire untill Sylvan Lore is upgraded, and it is best to raid outside their main base.

~

This guide did take me hours, I double-checked it and I apologise in advance if I have made any mistakes or misleading spellings/Centaur details and do feel free to either suggest and point out the mistakes or contact me via msn if you have any queries. My address should be on my profile page.

Thanks very much to all the sources, the mod I installed for most of the details (can't remember from where, but hey) and people who have written guides in the past to inspire me.

Many thanks for reading this, and i hoped you even learnt something.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by IAmJudge (edited 01-09-2008 @ 01:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08 January 2008 05:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Great guide, may I archive it at my site?
posted 08 January 2008 05:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
Crennelations does affect centaurs, as it means the centaurs cant outrun the arrows. The towers just dont get a bonus against them like vs cavalry.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
posted 08 January 2008 07:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28  
nice guide
posted 08 January 2008 07:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
Good work. Question on centaurs outrunning hersir though: Can they actually outrun them or is this the situation where they technically "could," but can't in reality?

posted 08 January 2008 07:51 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
in a straight line yes, but, no human can micro it effectively, so technically yes but, HoT get hits
posted 08 January 2008 09:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
and it only takes about 3-4 hits to take em down with a hesir

50 Pierce damage to humans (Which is cut down by armor)
100 Pierce Damage to MU (Cut down by Pierce armor)

I think you should point out that its special does get affected by armor, but maybe thats just me...

"True, I think would wear a dress for a day if ESO could make a patch to stop cheating, but I'll drink to anyone that takes AoM over that crappy game play of AoE III. Its like every civ is ATTY, its a disgusting game" -WNxDullahan
posted 08 January 2008 10:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
The spelling and grammar I must admit on here do drive me a little bit berserk...
posted 08 January 2008 10:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
sp311lng 4nd gr4Mm4r 4r3 p01nt13zz
posted 09 January 2008 03:12 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
Squeoo, i need to edit my guide, which i haven't done yet. I will contact you somehow like on aotp to tell you when you can add it. Thanks

-Winston Churchill
posted 09 January 2008 04:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
This guide has good and bad aspects.

• Good: It does not contain any major mistakes, nor does it affirm things that are utter crap (except for the statement that a Norse will not realize that his ox cart is under attack until several seconds after it has died)

• Bad: It holds very little usable information. Basically, in contains of raw table data, the statement that cents are good and mainly used for raiding, a BO that is not even yours (but that is nonetheless introduced with the bold words: "Hell, i'll even throw a BO in."), and your opinion.

Missing is an analysis like how cents compare to a selection of other units, especially other raiders such as RC, hipps, and chariots, but also valks.

Good would also have been explaining the good old Zeus 2:40 classical advance (completion of advance, not its beginning!) which is then followed by a super-early cent rush which comes at the price of having a horrible economy, but which hits the enemy in archaic age and may well cause so great damage to him that his econ ends up being even worse.

The technical section lacks the minor detail that the accurate shot special has a 100% accuracy, i.e. always hits, while the regular centaur shot does not.

So generally, this guide is a god start, but it is far too short.

Darkness is a state of mind
    Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
    Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
  • posted 09 January 2008 10:48 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
    Edited. Go and do your thang Squeoo and add this on the plaza. And since you're American and I'm English, we're very different. And if you don't add it i will :P

-Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by IAmJudge (edited 01-09-2008 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 09 January 2008 12:28 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
    Nice Guide!
    posted 09 January 2008 12:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
    I gotta admit,this guide helps me use them,since i aint very well with centaurs,so this would help me alot
    posted 09 January 2008 01:01 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
    Thanks man it's nice to know how helpful my first guide is! I hope to write another one, but it depends on how this one goes down..

-Winston Churchill
    posted 09 January 2008 03:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
    u can, its yours after all, forgt you were signed up. =D

Icreated a board for it.
    posted 09 January 2008 04:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
    Edit: It will be in the "unit guides" section on aotp Squeoo.

-Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by IAmJudge (edited 01-10-2008 @ 11:01 AM).]

posted 22 January 2008 04:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
    Will this be submitted to guide of the month?

-Winston Churchill
    posted 22 January 2008 05:27 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
    Is it the twenty fifth? It's been submitted. I doubt I'll get any more submissions, so I just have to remember. Keep bugging me if I forget.

posted 23 January 2008 03:11 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
    Okey-dokey. Sorry to bring back this old topic though.

-Winston Churchill
    posted 23 January 2008 10:00 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
    Useful guide :\

"True, I think would wear a dress for a day if ESO could make a patch to stop cheating, but I'll drink to anyone that takes AoM over that crappy game play of AoE III. Its like every civ is ATTY, its a disgusting game" -WNxDullahan
    posted 23 January 2008 04:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
    Don't worry about it, I must be reminded.

posted 23 January 2008 10:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
    This is all decent and stuff, but I'd just like to add in that a cent rush or variation isn't the only place one can make good use of the cent MU. Sometimes as greek you'll find against a high myth spammer you're limited heroes just aren't enough, so training and including a few centuars to micro shots onto MU on the battlefield is a pretty good choice, even without the expensive Sylvian lore upgrade. Compared to many of the greek MU alternatives for additional MU countering ability this is actually one of their best or better choices all around.

Nick: Eten.
    Gods: All of them!
    Vanilla.
    posted 24 January 2008 06:52 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
    H + v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v...
    What does this mean?
    While advancing move 9 vills to food and 1 to temple. U should have 9 wood, 3 food, 2 praying.
    You have 10 vills when you advance. Why does it tell you to move 9 vills to food if you already have them there? Then it says you should 4 more? I'm confused.

[This message has been edited by Cirrow (edited 01-24-2008 @ 07:10 PM).]

posted 24 January 2008 07:20 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
    What does this mean?
    Hotkeys. H selects your towncenter. V queues up a villager.
    You have 10 vills when you advance. Why does it tell you to move 9 vills to food if you already have them there? Then it says you should 4 more? I'm confused.
    It should read move 9 vils to wood, not food. Also, I think any fast build like that I've ever done has 14 vils total, which means 11 vils created, which makes sense because you'd click up at a little past 2:30 and reach classical at 3:30 that way.

Nick: Eten.
    Gods: All of them!
    Vanilla.
    posted 25 January 2008 03:29 AM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
    A 2:40 classical with even less vills is also possible. You will have idle TC time and an enormously crappy classical econ, but with putting all those vills upon wood and favor, you can create a stream of cents and attack his econ at a time where he probably does not even have his temple up yet. When you have a few cents, you may move some vills over to food so that you get your TC back up running and improve your own econ. Or you accept getting your cents slower and keep some vills on food all the time so that your TC remains active. I have no experience with this build, but I remember seeing it done to great effect by an elite player. Only makes sense in TT, where you get the first cent for free.

posted 27 January 2008 09:26 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
    A few questions here...

H + v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v...
    First 3 vills food.
    Scout.
    3 more vills food.
    Vill builds house, then temple.
    Yet 4 vills more to food.
    Stop vills until 400 food and advance.
    *While advancing move 9 vills to food and 1 to temple.* U should have 9 wood, 3 food, 2 praying.
    After advance send 5 vills to food.

"H+v,v,v..." I assume v means villies but whats H mean?
    Also, am i correct in assuming that you advance with only 10 villies? 6 food and 4 wood? "Stop vills until 400 food"

And, if so, how can you move 9 vills to food and 1 to temple?
    Following this confusing guide im guessing you should have 24 vills when advancing?

Also what does AQ mean???

[This message has been edited by Haliph (edited 01-27-2008 @ 10:09 PM).]

posted 27 January 2008 10:35 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
    H is the hotkey for town center, and v trains villagers.
    posted 28 January 2008 03:09 AM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
    You need to select the town center to train any vills, so you press H first and then repeatedly V for the vills.

Note that you can press these hotkeys as soon as you have turned green after loading up the game, while you are still seeing the loading screen. The confirmation sounds will tell you that the hotkeys have worked. Especially for this you need the H hotkey to select your TC, because you cannot use the mouse as long as you are seeing nothing on-screen.
    Also, am i correct in assuming that you advance with only 10 villies? 6 food and 4 wood? "Stop vills until 400 food"
    If these suffice to obtain the 400 food early enough and you are aiming at the brutal cent rush that I mentioned above, yes. For any other strat, you will need a more solid econ and therefore more vills.
    And, if so, how can you move 9 vills to food and 1 to temple?
    Following this confusing guide im guessing you should have 24 vills when advancing?
    As Etendorf mentioned, it should read "wood" and not "food". And again, this is only for the ultra-early cent-rush, in which you sacrifice your econ for an ultra-early centaur harassment with which you will catch your opponent still in archaic age. For any other strat, more vills are better. Note that 24 vills are too much against most opposing gods, as you will be advancing too late.
    Also what does AQ mean???
    Auto-Queue. Repeatedly trains the same unit in a production building without requiring you to manually handle it, or to pre-pay the money for the subsequent units. Only available in the Titans Expansion.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Guide to Centaurs and how to use them
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames