Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to creating and describing a new strategy
posted 17 March 2008 03:20 AM EDT (US)   
Many new strategies that are presented in this forum share a basic flaw, one that makes the pretty much useless. For that reason, I decided to write a mini-guide about how a new strategy must be shaped in order to make sense.

Guide to creating and describing a new strategy

So many strategies here are like: "You take a second TC early, then spam unit X combined with unit Y. With these you raid his gold miners, so he has no more gold. You now take a third TC. Because he has no more gold income, he cannot make any TCs of his own, or train any more units. It will take him several minutes to recover from your rush, and by then, you have a pop limit army of 30 pop more than he has, so you invade his base and win the game."

The above would work perfectly for any race - if the enemy sat idle all the time and waited for you to do it without dishing out blows against your econ and buildings on his own. Moderate CPU mostly makes this mistake, which is why pretty much all strategies work against it, including ones that are not really viable.

Any strategy that is actually convincing must always include a section that discusses how to deal with the enemy moves. It is legitimate to say: "He is an Isis, so he will most likely FH and then spam chariots or elephants. Against these, you do xyz. However, keep his base scouted early on, and when you see some barracks going up, then he will probably attempt some rax units spam. In this case, you do abc." In other words, you need not cover every possible move of him, no matter how remote it may be. But at least the typical ways of playing his god must be covered with an explanation how your strategy plans on dealing with them, occasionally factoring in the map on which the action is taking place.

I have a feeling that I will frequently link strategy-posters to this thread in the future.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)

[This message has been edited by DeathAndPain (edited 03-17-2008 @ 04:58 AM).]

Replies:
posted 17 March 2008 03:27 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
Agreed. Far too many strategies are too vague- whereas some go into a lot of detail but lack the "what if-".

Strategies should always say how your god(s) benefit from it. Example, the Heimdall Tower strategy is strongly benefited by the Safeguard tech, Loki's hersirs are also faster and can summoning myth units, when razing an opponent, this proves very helpful. Making this strategy easy to understand, thus making it easy to use.
I have a feeling that I will frequently link strategy-posters to this thread in the future.
And I have a feeling that you'll enjoy the irony of them reading that line.
posted 17 March 2008 05:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
I know what you mean about many strategies being posted that are entirely useless, but I think posting the exact detials on how to implement your strategy against every god is excessive.

I want strategies that are clear, concise, useful, versatile and realistic.

-[Hello..
posted 17 March 2008 06:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
I agree that this level of detail is not needed, but you should at least explain some basic information on how to deal with the enemy actions that are to be expected when you execute the new strategy. Too many "strategies" just list what you are supposed to do, and from the resulting achievements deduct that victory is now yours, ignoring the fact that in the meantime the enemy made achievements of his own - at your expense.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Guide to creating and describing a new strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames