You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Featured on the PAoM News: A civ guide named Thor
posted 21 February 2003 09:06 AM EDT (US)   
This is the post that reached the front page of PAoM. Let me warn you: This guide to perfect Thor play is extremely long and detailed.

-----

A civ guide named something as simple as: Thor

As known for a long time, Norse is the most different culture compared to the old AoK civs. And Thor is the most diverse Norse civ, giving a diverse gamestyle. I will here go through absolutely everything i know of Thor and his gamestyle.

-----

Archaic Economy

Thor is famous for his all-dwarf buildup. This compensates making dwarves, and no gatherers, to save your food, giving you a very quick Classical time, perfect for a rush.

First off, place your dwarves on the nearest gold mine, queue two dwarves at your TC, start scouting with your ulfsark and start researching Pickaxe. Then, select the TC and press CTRL+1, then select the ulfsark and press CTRL+2. I won't give you a detailed explenation for everything to do all the way through the game, so here's the build order:

1 - Gold, get Pickaxe
2 - Gold
3 - Gold
4 - Gold
5 - Wood (Straggler trees)
6 - Wood (Straggler trees)
7 - Food (Chickens/Berries)
7 - Train an Ox Cart, move to food
8 - Food (Chicken/Berries

As soon as you have two dwarves on chickens/berries, move them to the nearest hunting that is avaliable. If you have not yet found any hunting, wait until you do.

9 - Food (Pref. Hunt)
10 - Food (Pref. Hunt)
11 - Wood (Forest)

When this dwarf is created, move the previous wood gatherers from the straggler trees to the forest.

11 - Train an Ox Cart, move to forest
12 - Wood (Forest)
13 - Food (Hunt)
14 - Food (Hunt)
15 - Food (Hunt)

When you are at 14 pop, build a house. Around 2:45, you might want to move your ulfsark to where you will be building your temple. At about 3:00 you should start your temple.

If you did this correctly and had no problems, you should reach Classical around 5:00.

-----

Minor Gods

The Classical Age

Forseti

God Power : Healing Spring
The healing spring heals idle units (not moving, building or fighting) at the rate of 2.5 HP/second, wich is a quite good rate, as it heals all units near the spring at the same time. The Healing Spring cannot be destroyed, but can be captured by enemy soldiers if he moves more units there than you have. The Healing Spring should be placed in the middle of your longhouses, providing healing to your wounded soldiers whenever you retreat.

Myth Unit: Troll (150W, 15Fv, 4 pop)
The Troll is one of the two units the Norse have that can do pierce damage (the Ballista is the other). This can be very useful if your enemy is using units with high hack armor. The troll also has the ability to heal itself when it damages other units or buildings.

Myth Tech: Hamartroll (200W, 10Fv)
Troll +50 HP, +2 Range, +20% Attack
Simply improves your Trolls.

Myth Tech: Hall of Thanes (300F, 10Fv)
Hersir +10% HP, +10% Speed
This tech is very useful if you are facing lots of MUs.

Myth Tech: Mithril Breastplate (200F, 10Fv)
Ulfsark +10% Hack Armor
This tech is probably only useful if you're facing Poseidon, as Ulfsarks are rarely seen.

Freyja

God Power: Forest Fire
This GP burns down an entire forest, damaging units and buildings close enough. But if the forest is huuuge like the ones on Oasis, the GP has a maximum durance time that is about 45 seconds i think. This GP is effective vs Hades if you make sure you're targeting his main wood source. Forest Fire can also be used to take out some military buildings or at least damage them. If you're aiming for damaging buildings, target this GP a little inside the edge of the forest that is close to the buildings. If you are aiming to destroy one's wood supply, target this in the center of the forest, burning it down as fast as possible.

Myth Unit: Valkyrie (200F, 15Fv, 3 pop)
The Valkyrie is a fast cavalry MU that can heal friendly units. With its high speed it can be used for raiding if you want to.

Myth Tech: Aurora Borealis (200G, 10Fv)
Valkyrie Heals faster, +6 Attack
Improves the Valkyrie to a killer lady with 18 attack! It makes them heal much faster too.

Myth Tech: Thundering Hooves (300F, 15Fv)
Raiding Cavalry +10% Speed, +20% HP
Valkyrie +20% Speed, +10% HP
This makes the Valkyrie and Raiding Cavalry the two fastest units in the game. It improves your raiding and makes retreating more easy (at lest for your cav).

The Heroic Age

Skadi

God Power: Frost

Frost immobilizes an army for 50 seconds. But the frozen units get 99% hack, pierce and crush armor, so staying and trying to kill them is not of much use. Frost works about the same way as ceasefire, just more limited but more controlled.

Myth Unit: Frost Giant (200G, 25Fv, 5 pop)
The frost giant is a slow but strong MU. It has the special attack of freezing a single unit like frost does, but the armor will stay the same.

Myth Tech: Rime (200F, 20Fv)
Frost Giant +33% HP +20% Attack, -25% Special Attack recharge time
Improves your Frost Giant, simply. A thing to remember about this tech lets Frost Giants freeze more units.

Myth Tech: Huntress Axe (200W, 20Fv)
Throwing Axeman +1 Attack
If you're going with the very popular TA and RC combo, this tech is a must.

Myth Tech: Winter Harvest (200F, 20Fv)
Villager +20% Farming speed
A very useful tech to get after you've gotten farms up.

Bragi

God Power: Flaming Weapons
This GP lets all human soldiers have much more attack for 1 minute. Using this GP adds the original attack value (without any upgrades) to the current attack. It can completely turn the tide of the battle, so make sure you do not use it until you are sure you will need it. Also, don't use it before you are a little into the battle.

Myth Unit: Battle Boar (300G, 35Fv, 4 pop)
The Battle Boar is a strong mellee MU that has the special attack of kicking nearby units away, hurting them a bit.

Myth Tech: Call of Valhalla (200W, 20Fv)
Ulfsark +25% HP
If you are facing much cavalry, this tech is quite useful. But even more useful is the next...

Myth Tech: Swine Array (200W, 20Fv)
Ulfsark have double attack vs Cavalry
This makes Bragi an excellent choise if you're going against Poseidon. With this tech, Ulfsarks will slaughter Hippikons!

Myth Tech: Thurisaz Rune (200W, 20Fv)
Myth Units +12% Speed
If you are going to use Myth Units heavily, this Tech is quite useful.

The Mythic Age

Baldr

God Power: Ragnarok
This GP turns all your existing Gatherers and Villagers into Ragnarok Heroes, strong Hero soldiers that should only exist for a last-ditch effort to survive.

Myth Unit: Fire Giant (300G, 35Fv, 5 pop)
A ranged MU that does hack damage. It has a rather weak Special Attack IMO, it throws 3 Fireballs that does 10 Hack to all units near the hit-point, but is still the strongest MU of the Norse.

Myth Tech: Sons of Sleipnir (400F, 30Fv)
Raiding Cavalry +200% attack vs Archers and Throwing Axemen
This really does not multiply 3 to the original attack value vs Archers/TAs, it adds 2 to the attack bonus RC have vs Archers/TA. Very effective vs Hades or Set.

Myth Tech: Dwarven Auger (300G, 35Fv)
Portable Ram +20% Speed, +20% Attack, halfs Build Time
This and Draft Horses makes the PRam about as fast as Cavalry, and makes it able to destroy buildings, then run from infantry! It's a must.

Myth Tech: Artic Gale (250W, 30Fv)
Siege Ship +20% Speed, +30% Hack Armor
If you're doing battles on the sea, this tech is quite useful. It makes Siege Ships faster and more resistant to Hammer Ships.

Tyr

God Power: Fimbulwinter
Several strong MU Wolves bill be summoned near all settlements that is close to your enemies. The wolves will rampage the enemy city, but will die after 15 seconds. Fimbulwinter should be used together with a strong attack, as it will not make much use without any army support.

Myth Unit: Fenris Wolf Brood (150G, 15Fv, 3 pop)
The Fenris Wolf Brood is not very strong alone, but it gets stronger and faster the more additional wolf is nearby, 20% more attack and speed to be exact.

Myth Unit: Jormund Elver (200G, 15Fv, 4 pop)
The Jormund Elver is a strong, ranged naval MU. It has much HP and can destroy several ships alone. If you group them, they will be devastating. They also train very fast.

Myth Tech: Bravery (400F, 30Fv)
Huskarls have double attack vs Buildings
This is a very useful tech; The Huskarl is resistant to arrow fire and can therefore get close to buildings, and with this tech they will destroy buildings fast as well.

Myth Tech: Berserkergang (300G, 45Fv)
Ulfsark +20% HP, +10% Attack
Another tech that can be useful if you are facing much cavalry.

-----

Thor

Now, for those who need to know, here are the bonuses that Thor gets:

Dwarves: Cost -10 gold (results in 60 gold).
Dwarves: Gather resources just as fast as normal Gatherers, and keeps their gold mining bonus.
Dwarven Armory: Costs 75 Wood (Armory 150)
Dwarven Armory: Can be built in Archaic age.
Dwarven Armory: All Armory techs can be researched in all ages.
Dwarven Armory: 3 extra Armory techs are avaliable.
Armory Techs: -33% Cost

God Power: Dwarven Mine
This GP will create a gold mine at the place you want. The later you use this GP, the more gold the mine will contain. Here's the numbers:

Archaic - 500 gold
Classical - 1000 gold
Heroic - 3000 gold
Mythic - 6000 gold

You should use this GP when youdo no longer have a safe gold mine to mine from.

Myth Tech: Pig Sticker (100G, 1Fv)
Gatherer/Dwarf/Gatherer +500% damage while Hunting Animals, +20% Hunted Animal gather speed.
This tech is probably to get in classical. Getting it in archaic has one problem: You need one favor. You will either have to hunt or damage your enemy's scout a little to get this tech in archaic.

-----

The Dwarf

Now, as you read on Thor's bonuses, Dwarves gets a major role. This section is gonna explain exactly what Thor's Dwarves does.

Gather Rates

Food (Hunt) - 0.85 (same as Gatherer)
Food (Herd) - 0.73 (same as Gatherer)
Food (Farm) - 0.66 (Gatherer: 0.69)
Other Food - 0.73 (same as Gatherer)
Wood - 1.00 (Gatherer: 1.08)
Gold - 1.09 (Gatherer: 0.91)

(With other food i'm talking about berries and chickens.)

As you can see, the only differance comes on Farming and Wood gathering. These differances however, is so small it does not deal any serious economic blow.

-----

Economic Improvements

When you have excess resources around the 8 minute mark, you shold probably start getting some econ upgrades like Hand Axe, and if you are going to farm really soon, you should get Plow. Many people would now wonder what the gather rates for the Dwarf and Gatherer would be with upgrades. So here it goes:

Gold Upgrades

Pickaxe
Villager: +10% Gold Mining Speed, carry +5 gold.
Dwarf: +20% Gold Mining Speed, carry +5 gold.

As you can see, the gold mining upgrade helps dwarves more than villagers. Note that this is calculated as 2 times 10% increase, so the numbers will be a little complicated.

Gatherer: 0.91 + 10% = 1.00
Dwarf: 1.09 + 10% = 1.20 + 10% = 1.32

Shaft Mine and Quarry
Villager: +10% Gold Mining Speed, carry +5 gold.
Dwarf: +30% Gold Mining Speed, carry +5 gold.

These upgrades helps dwarves even more than Pickaxe! But still, this is 10% + 10% + 10% as with Pickaxe.

Shaft Mine:
Gatherer: 1.00 + 10% = 1.10
Dwarf: 1.32 + 10% (1.45) + 10% (1.60) + 10% = 1.76

Quarry:
Gatherer: 1.10 + 10% = 1.21
Dwarf: 1.76 + 10% (1.94) + 10% (2.13) + 10% = 2.34

See the differance after researching Quarry. Gatherers now gather gold at 1.21 gold/second while dwarves has almost a twice as fast rate.

Food Upgrades

I'm not going to go so deep in this, as gold is the most important resource for Thor. But here's the upgrades' effects:

Hunting Dogs: +30% Hunting Speed
Husbandry: +30% Herd Animal Fattening Speed, +10% Herd, Berry and Chicken Gather Speed
Plow, Irrigation and Flood Control: +10% Farming Rate

Wood Upgrades

Hand Axe, Bow Saw and Carpenters: +10% Villager Wood Gathering Speed

No special features of Food and Wood upgrades for the Dwarf.

-----

Military Improvements

The military improvements is quite simple; All Medium, Heavy and Champion upgrades gives:

+10% Hitpoints, +10% Attack, +1 LOS

For the unit that is being upgraded. And these percentages are calculated from the current values, meaning that Medium Infantry will give the Ulfsark +8 Hitpoints (current value: 80 HP), but Heavy will give 8.8 more HP (current value: 88 HP) and Champion will give the Ulfsark +9.68 more HP (current value: 96.8 HP).

For the Armory upgrades, one of Thor's bonuses is making them cheaper. I.E. Copper Weapons costs 100F and 100G instead of 150F and 150G, also 33% cheaper. Here's how each of the Armory improvements work:

Weapons

+10% Hack/Pierce attack for all Human Soldiers, Ships, Heroes and Buildings.
+10% Crush damage for Siege Ships.

You should be able to do this by some simple maths:

current attack / 10 = add attack

current attack + add attack = new attack

And new attack means the new amount of hack/pierce damage for the unit.

Mail and Shields

-10% Hack (Mail) or Pierce (Shields) attack vounerability for Human Soldiers and Ships.

To calculate this, read on:

100 - current armor = vounerability

Here, you have the attack vounerability. While armor is the amount of damage substracted from the original attack, vounerability is the amount of damage that is inflicted after substracting the armor from the original attack.

vounerability / 10 x 9 = upgraded

And you have the upgraded vounerability. To restore this to armor, do this:

100 - upgraded = upgraded armor

And there you have the new armor for your unit. But heroes gets 15% more armor, so here's how to calculate that:

(100 - armor x 0.15) + (100 - armor) = voun

100 - vound = new armor

-----

Transition to Classical

OK, we'll go on from where we stopped.

On the way to classical, create two hersir from your temple. Be careful when building houses, you need wood for three longhouses (wich is 330 wood).

While going to classical, queue up some dwarves and set the gather point on the forest.

-----

Classical Age - Economy and Military

When you hit Classical, let the ulfsark and hersirs build each its longhouse. This should result in having three longhouses. When they are done, start pumping RC and TA.

The rule of economy now is simple. Create dwarves if you have too much gold, and gatherers if you have too much food or no gold. Idle TC time is unacceptable. The dwarves/gatherers should be spread around to your preferance. If you have excess resources, get some econ upgrades.

When you have the resources to it, get Medium Infanry and Medium Cavalry and continiue pumping soldiers. If you have extra wood, build more longhouses. Around 8:00 you should have a decent army of 15-20 soldiers, maybe more, so attack about 8:00, and don't forget, keep pumping soldiers.

In the attack, try hitting the enemy wood supply. Wood is the resource that is most exposed to raiding. If a tower stands in your way, destroy it. And remeber, you do not need to kill the enemy's villagers. Just make sure they aren't working. When they are not working, they are actually worse than dead, taking up pop space for no use.

If the enemy army arrives, you should retreat. You should not try to fight the enemy in the border of his base. If he follows you, rally your army and the units that you have created while you were raiding, and defeat him. But in most cases, the enemy is smart enough not to. Then you should rally all you military (exept your ulfsark and hersirs, keep them at home for building buildings) and attack again. Repeat this until you have a large enough army to defeat his.

When you can, build a Dwarven Armory, but don't get all the upgrades at once, remember that you should preferably be in Heroic by 13:30. After you have clicked the Heroic button, feel free to get as many Armory techs as you wish.

-----

Heroic and on

When you reach Heroic, it's time for some siege. Build one or several Hill Forts to create Portable Rams, Jarls and Huskarls. Also, get the Heavy upgrades ASAP. When you have a large army assembled, attack. At this time, you should have lots of longhouses and some hill forts, enough to keep pumping units as fast as you lose them. If you lose a battle, quickly attack again to make sure he doesn't get the chance to rebuild.

In Heroic, you should also start creating some MUs with all the favor you have gained. Myth Techs is also an option.

OK, there's really not much more to say. Use your GPs when you should (read the guide above), keep pumping soldiers, get to Mythic Age when you want to... You're on your own. Good Luck!

-----

Give me feedback please (i would prefer good feedback). I think this's a very good guide for Thor beginners and better players.

Proud leader of Armageddon Team

[This message has been edited by AT_Excalibur (edited 02-21-2003 @ 10:53 AM).]

Replies:
posted 21 February 2003 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
I was hoping for some more popularity for this...

posted 21 February 2003 04:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
very very good post. i have tried this tactic two times so far. made some big mistakes in my first attempt that cost me the game. second attempt, it was like taking candy from a baby. my resources allowed me to make about 1.5 times more units than i usually have for my loki/odin rush. more people should use thor for early rushing...
posted 21 February 2003 04:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
First of all is a big post so many ppl dont bother to read it. And secondly i am not interested in thor. Thirdly i have stopped reading build orders many months ago. Try posting a record too. It will help a lot.
posted 21 February 2003 06:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
I tried your Thor Guide, and it is a very nice guide for those looking to use him. Should be made into the strategy section @ AoMH.

- BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!!
ESO: IamHades27

Winner of the least favorite forumer AoMH's award 2002!!
posted 22 February 2003 08:43 AM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
NIB: If you aren't interested in Thor, why are you posting here? And i'm not an online player (surprise), and can therefore not post a rec game. If someone finds a good example though, it would be nice of them to post it here.

posted 22 February 2003 08:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 22  

Quoted from AT_Excalibur:

I was hoping for some more popularity for this...

I was responding to this. I didnt mean anything bad. I just wanted to give this post a little more popularity. 1 null post is better sometimes than no post .

I apreciate the fact that you sit down and made a guide as detailed as this one. I have made guides(for other games) in the past and i know how hard it is.

posted 22 February 2003 01:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
Great post
posted 22 February 2003 02:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
OK nib. And btw, it's not hard whan you know all about one civ... It took me an hour though...

posted 22 February 2003 04:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  

Quoted from AT_Excalibur:

And i'm not an online player (surprise), and can therefore not post a rec game.

You don't have to play online to post a rec game online

But yes it's better to see something in action against another human opponent rather then the silly computer.

I like Thor the most in the Alpha days and want to go back to Thor but there are too many Norse players right now and I will wait for them to get tired and move to the next big thing before I starting playing Thor...

Great guide though... I especially like Thor's potential for some truly uber Ulfsarks with the Forsetti -> Bragi -> Tyr path.

I didn't know that Thor's armory researches are cheaper. They must have added that after the Alpha.

posted 25 February 2003 08:53 AM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
I know it's not neccacary to play vs an online player to post a rec, and i had a great 1v3 at Hard last night (lasted 1:24), but it just doesn't give the defence a human player would give.

And for the armory cheaper... Yes, in the Beta Thor's cav generated gold when attacking buildings, but a few days before release they changed it out with th Armory bonus. It still is a typo error in the manual (the Beta bonus still stands there).

posted 25 February 2003 06:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
Thank you so much Excalibur, I spotted this at PAoM the other night. Really helpful for me, a starter on Thor.

some questions:

1.why pickaxe that early?
2.many people use gatherers for wood, but does it make a difference?
3.thus should you use gatherers?
4.as thor you get uber ulfarsks, how do you use them, do you care at all? only against posei maybe?
5.how should a fill the lack of eniherjars or heimdall in general?
6. should you concentrate on one armoury upgrade? ie instead of having normal balance you research armour (hack) like crazy. is that good?
7.can you put more life into stats? ie yes we all know about what rime does, question is should we research it, is it worth the price, or is it neccessary? same iwth valks. that would be great

thank you again,

Tarion

ESO: Tarion, THoR_Tarion
posted 25 February 2003 06:37 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
I am not Excalibur but I play Thor 50% of my online games, so Ill try to answer you questions Fish:

1.why pickaxe that early?

That allows him to have only 4 dwarves on gold before classic. (though it IMHO would be wise to have 5 or 6)

2.many people use gatherers for wood, but does it make a difference?

Yes it does. Later in the game it really matters if you use gatherers or dwarves. However, I think you should go ALL dwarf untill you reach classic.

3.thus should you use gatherers?

No. Not early. But later. YES.

4.as thor you get uber ulfarsks, how do you use them, do you care at all? only against posei maybe?

Or against Odins uber Jarls. Uber ulfsarks really arent that "uber". They get slaughtered by any anti infantry, unlike Jarls and anti cav.

5.how should a fill the lack of eniherjars or heimdall in general?

This is my main problem with Thor. However, IF he had Heimdall, he would be overpowered. Trolls are good against other norse, and valks can come in pretty handy for some healing or some extra HPs for your army. You really cant replace heimdall with either Freyja nor Forseti.

6. should you concentrate on one armoury upgrade? ie instead of having normal balance you research armour (hack) like crazy. is that good?

Yes sometimes against norse. Cuz Norse will (almost) only deal hack dammage. But in most situations its still better to get all the cheap upgrades before researching the expensive ones.

7.can you put more life into stats? ie yes we all know about what rime does, question is should we research it, is it worth the price, or is it neccessary? same iwth valks. that would be great

Only upgrade your units if you plan to use 5+ of them.

Hope that helped...

All true stories end in death.

[This message has been edited by Cazbr (edited 02-25-2003 @ 06:41 PM).]

posted 25 February 2003 07:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
yes it did help, thank you. one more question though

would you recommend freya or forseti? I heard freya is better but I am not sure why. yes, you get thundering hooves blah blah, but you dont research that thing in classical do you? When forward basing healing spring would be great. Maybe vs greek, FF is better? also, the MUs. trolls are good but cost much pop. Valks are good but too expensive.

posted 25 February 2003 07:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  
I agree it's a difficult choice, however I tend to pick Forseti. His Mithril Breastplate tech can be pretty usefull, and I like the healing spring, for hit and runs. I really think valks are good (strong, fast, heals) but they are just too expensive. Food is a very important res in classical, and I would much rather spend some wood, getting trolls, than 200 food per valkyrie.

Furthermore, forest fire is a very useless GP in most situations, and you have to be very lucky to burn down some buildings with it. Not that it cannot be good though.

I long games, Freyja may be a better choice (unless you are planning to get those uber ulfs), cuz her tech can boost your Jarls as well.

in short:

Pick Forseti if:
-you play against norse. Pierce damage.
-you want uber ulfs
-you want the healing spring for hit and runs

Pick Freyja if:
-you want to strengthen your Jarls or RCs
-you play aginst e.g. Hades and wants to delay his toxotes with forest fire
-there is plenty of food on the map, and you think you can afford valks

But hey, if Thor had Heimdall everything would be so easy...

[This message has been edited by Cazbr (edited 02-26-2003 @ 07:02 AM).]

posted 25 February 2003 08:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
thank you again. it was very helpful, I will play you sometimes if that is ok with you

[This message has been edited by Fish (edited 02-25-2003 @ 08:14 PM).]

posted 26 February 2003 07:02 AM EDT (US)     16 / 22  
of course

posted 26 February 2003 09:36 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
Thanx for the help Cazbr.

BTW, you seemed to mean that 5-6 dwarves on gold (with pickaxe) would be better. Nope. The Thor classical deadline is 5:10, if you get there later, expect not to getting a good enough rush.

And i always pick Forseti because of Healing Spring and Trolls. Trolls are quite good, put them behind your army and prevent Hersirs from coming to them, and they'll really help out. Make sure to upgrade them too.

And don't get the MU upgrades if you have 5+ of them only. Just get them if you can.

posted 26 February 2003 11:56 AM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
Have you ever tried getting the Rune upgrade for Bragi that improves myth unit speed? Valkyries become INSANELY fast! I always try to go Freyja/Bragi and pump out Valks when I can.
posted 26 February 2003 05:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22  

Quote:

Thanx for the help Cazbr.

no problem

Quote:

BTW, you seemed to mean that 5-6 dwarves on gold (with pickaxe) would be better. Nope. The Thor classical deadline is 5:10, if you get there later, expect not to getting a good enough rush.

No. NOT with pick axe. I never research pickaxe at the start of the game. I just like having 5 (some times 6) dwarves on gold. I'll have alot of gold when I reach classic (between 4:00 and 5:00) But your version may be as good as mine. I just like saving my food and gold for an additional ox cart, a house, a dock, a fishing boat or whatever

Quote:

And i always pick Forseti because of Healing Spring and Trolls. Trolls are quite good, put them behind your army and prevent Hersirs from coming to them, and they'll really help out.

Agreed. I use Forseti most of my games as well.

Quote:

And don't get the MU upgrades if you have 5+ of them only. Just get them if you can.

I didnt mean: you HAVE to upgrade if you plan to have more than 4.

Most of the time, your 4th myth unit will help you more, than upgrading the 3 you already got. If you only build 2 MUs, dont upgrade. Save the res., or build a Myth Unit more.

[This message has been edited by Cazbr (edited 02-26-2003 @ 05:43 PM).]

posted 27 February 2003 03:49 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
Your guide states

“If you did this correctly and had no problems, you should reach Classical around 5:00.”

Actually, if you follow your build order you should start the classic upgrade at 3:30 and get to classic at 4:30. This is only possible if you have zero idle TC time but it is not hard to be within a few seconds of this time. If you don’t get to classic till 5:00 you are 20-30 seconds slower than you should be.

posted 28 February 2003 12:45 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
You sure about that, Duck? What map would that be?

Cause 13x16 secs = 208 secs or 3 mins 28 secs
Plus ox carts 2x5 secs (or whatever) = 10 secs

This results in start advancing at 3:46, wich is the soonest possible. You could get a little earlier if you had one ox cart less, but still 3:30 is a little wrong...

posted 01 March 2003 02:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
is there a guide to Odin?
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Featured on the PAoM News: A civ guide named Thor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames