You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Raiding, a guide.
posted 18 March 2003 12:57 PM EDT (US)   
A very popular start right now is to raid a lot until your economy is much better than your enemy's. Doing this will let you buy more upgrades. With Norse and Greek it is easy, you have very strong and fast cavalry in classical. With EGypt it is not. As Egypt you need at least 6-7 Spearmen to raid. After a while you can use Anubites to raid.

Points about raiding:
- With Greek and Norse keep at least 4-8 Cavalry in each raiding group.
- As Egypt keep 6-7 Spearmen in each group.
- It is advised to get pierce upgrades to avoid tower and TC fire.
- If there is a tower guarding try taking out the tower.
- If the enemy fights back pull out your troops.
- Try to find villagers that arent close to the TC, such as a hunting party or gold mines.
- Gold is your #1 raiding spot, no gold=no army.
- Try to have 2 raiding groups so that one can retreat while the other raids.
- You can also raid with towers. Look for a wood spot and build a tower far enough so that te enemy can't see but it can attack. You can also put towers near gold mines so that the enemy can't go there.

Countering the Raid
Countering the raid can be tricky, but it can be done.
- Against Norse or Greek get Crenelations.
- Upgrade towers.
- As Egypt keep Spearmen near your gold and hunting, maybe wood too. Againts Egypt keep some Axemen or if the enemy has ANubites Priests.
- As Norse keep some Ulfs standing by. Againts Egypt keep some TAs near by and/or Hersir.
-Greek is a bit harder because Hoplites are expensive so againts Norse/Greek keep soem Hippikons nearby and againts Egypt keep Toxotes and/or Hero(s).
- Double towers are a good thing to use.
- Fight back with Villies, if you kill 5 raiders and lose 1-2 villies it is more of a loss for him.

BE CAREFUL, when raiding be sure not to lose your raiders. If you lose 5 raiders that costs a lot of food, but you could have only killed 1-2 villies. So getting Hack armor is good too.

Comments appreciated. I'll try to get a record up soon.

[This message has been edited by Sarupo (edited 03-18-2003 @ 12:57 PM).]

Replies:
posted 18 March 2003 01:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
nice post.. just some additional info:

Each Civ has advantages towards raiding, either with it's bonuses or minor god myth techs/units.

Make use of em to your best advantage!

A often forgetten point is to scout agressively and constantly for effective raiding. You would like to hit gold the most often but to do so you have to find the mine that's being used.

The gold mines are easy... once you have found em they remain on your minimap and you can either keep checking back (shift-clicking your scout helps) or make use of buildings/units to keep LOS.

However note that norse ox-carts don't remain on the mini-map unlike other resource drop-off buildings so against a Norse oponent you have to keep a closer eye on the mini-map or better yet keep constant LOS. I also suggest walling off "far" mines when you have extra resources or towering up any convienient group of mines.

Last but not the least.. gold mines are known as prime raiding targets.. so are often protected!

It's dead... Wait! Poke it again!
posted 19 March 2003 09:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
I prefer to raid hunting over gold early classic usually. Generally they have a solid gold operation at home early but only a few outside the TC. With hunting if you hit that area 1 or 2 times hard they generally turtle up and go farms which gives you a large advantage, also sometimes stopping their food can cut off military or even the TC. Later in classic and later ages I agree its all about the gold.
posted 19 March 2003 11:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
be carefull with towers, cause villies have a great bonus against them!
posted 19 March 2003 01:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  

Quote:

I prefer to raid hunting over gold early classic usually. Generally they have a solid gold operation at home early but only a few outside the TC. With hunting if you hit that area 1 or 2 times hard they generally turtle up and go farms which gives you a large advantage, also sometimes stopping their food can cut off military or even the TC.

In such cases as this, Forest Fire can help a lot.

Unless it's against Egyptians. They require gold for farms...

posted 19 March 2003 02:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
You can make great use of the 'patrol' feature with Odin's ravens, Pegasi, and raiding parties for gold mines. Simply take one of the above and set it to patrol around the gold mines. If you have a strong military, you can take out any army the opponent sends to 'clear up' the gold mines and deprive them of a very important resource.

Your patrolling unit/units don't fight, but they make a very good LOS to see when your opponent is expanding. Obelisks work wonders if you are Egyptian. Just build them by goldmines. If they are destroyed, than you know exactly where your opponent is

The path of the damned is to walk alone for all eternity
/IPhear the Phang!I\
IIII/.......................\IIII
IIII.........................IIII
\II.........................II/
\I
.........................I/
posted 19 March 2003 09:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Sarupo,

THANK U THANK U THANK U. i needed to know how to counter thouse damn raiders! THANX!

-WEASEL

posted 20 March 2003 09:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
No Prob.

Proud member of the PrtN Clan

Current rating 1700-1800
"Who cares about the 1800 smurfs, their easy. Now the 1900 ones are a different story.........."-Me
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Raiding, a guide.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames