You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to RM FFA
posted 11 August 2003 00:55 AM EDT (US)   
FFA is one of the most interesting and least-explored modes of play. As anyone who's played a few will agree, FFA strategy requires additional consideration above and beyond that required in a typical rated RM game. Below is a short list of rules to help plan your next RM FFA:

1. Boom. FFA always goes to heroic if not mythic and you'll need to max your pop limit in the event you get doubled. Don't threaten enemy territory until you are SURE you know who you'll be attacking.

2. Choose your enemies wisely -- NEVER attack more than one opponent at a time. Your attack should be swift and crushing -- have builders on hand to forward build & take settlements.

3. Wall back doors. Walling has got to be the most tedious aspect of the game, but walls discourage doubling. Gates should not be built until needed, as potential doublers will interpret gateless walls to mean you don't plan on mounting an attack in that direction. Be ready in any case to add gates (or just delete) and attack.

4. If you find yourself in a situation in which there are 2 separate 1v1 battles taking place, and the other 1v1 'finishes' before yours has any sign of finishing, dig in. Either you or your opponent is about to be doubled. Follow step #3 to minimize your risk of being doubled.

5. Keep a low profile -- don't allow your score to get too high too early in the game. Being 400-1000 points ahead of the rest of the group is the same as saying "triple me".

6. If you find yourself being tripled, and two of the attackers are clearly allies, dig in & threaten to tribute everything to the third attacker. Mathematically the odds are against you, and you'll need a political solution. Offer loads of cash to the third attacker in exchange for a cease-fire and his agreement to mount an offensive against the other two while you defend your area and reestablish your cash reserve.

7. Scout, scout, scout. You'll need to know who's attacking who, who's spread too thin, etc. Snatch up unclaimed settlements of any player who drops out of the game, as early as possible.

8. Gold frequently disappears in FFA, so trading and attacking trade are critical. When attacking, don't destroy enemy markets -- wait nearby and kill off all caravan units that come wandering near first.

9. NEVER whine about being doubled -- it's FFA, everyone gets doubled, and eventually you'll be doubling someone else anyway. While the above rules may help you avoid being doubled, it's still FFA. You will be doubled eventually.

10. When near, appear far. When organized, appear disorganized. When large, appear small. When small, flee. Etc. Etc. Enjoy.

Replies:
posted 11 August 2003 01:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
Just wanted to add.

11. Try to force other guys to fight each.
"Honest" way of doing this is to send small force to OpponentA's town and get his troops to follow you. Flee not to your camp, but rather to town of OpponentB. Your small force will most like die in this "huge" battle of two armies. No worries. Take your main army and lead it to OpponentA's town. Level it and go directly to OpponentB's town. Level it as well. Works well, when opponets A and B no so close to each other.
"Less honest" way. Post message, indicating that you allied with one of the opponents. For example, "Ok, I agree, OpponentB. Let's take OpponentA now, you go first I'm coming in a minute." Make sure that OpponentB is closer to OpponentA than you are. When OpponentA will run with his army to OpponentB's town in order to avoid being doubled and they clash in a battle, go to OpponentB (sic!) town and enter the battle ~after 30-60 seconds. Finish whatever left of their armies and enjoy ruining both towns.

P.S. Of course, there is always a risk and element of randomness and these things might not work exactly as I described, but it's always fun to try to control the game. And FFA is fun, indeed.

Holy Punk.

[This message has been edited by Holy_Punk (edited 08-11-2003 @ 03:15 AM).]

posted 11 August 2003 04:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  

Quote:

5. Keep a low profile -- don't allow your score to get too high too early in the game. Being 400-1000 points ahead of the rest of the group is the same as saying "triple me".

And how can you do that? By not taking upgrades? But if you dont get the upgrades, you will hurt yourself too.

I only play ffa with ppl that i know. Then if i get doubled, i let the rest know that i am doubled by "toto" and "tito" so that the other players would attack those players bases since they are defenseless.

They key to winning is to keep a low profile, go eco booming like mad and avoid fighting as much as possible. Then hit 1 enemy at a time(the weaker), fast and hard and steal his tcs.

Tell the rest to attack the stongest guy while you are picking 1 by 1 the weaker players and getting their tcs. I should know cause thats how i lost a forum party on king of the hill ffa. I was controlling the vault for a total of 30 mins(they kept resetting it by running by), i was doubled/trippled all the time, and stumpy went around and grabbing tcs from weaker players. I was screaming my ass out to stop him, but they all wanted to kill me. In the end stumpy had like 400 pop and owned me.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 08-11-2003 @ 04:09 AM).]

posted 11 August 2003 08:23 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
Keeping your score low without compromising your ability to wage war is tough... Only way I know of is not to construct too many buildings -- focus on upgrades instead (quality vs quantity). For example, instead of building 8 barracks, build 4, and get all unit-creation speed upgrades. Once it looks like everyone is engaged in battle, there will be less risk of being doubled/tripled over a high score... then it's safe to build the 8 rax.

[This message has been edited by SavvyPlayer (edited 08-11-2003 @ 08:24 AM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Guide to RM FFA
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames