Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: centaur guide
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 30 August 2003 07:24 PM EDT (US)   
I didn't wholeheartedly agree with the last centaur guide although I will say it is nice to see someone willing to use something apart from horses and animals to play the game with.

I have over 1000 games with zeus and while I am no expert I have got him to 1900 be it briefly and he remains to this day my favourite civ. I am using him in rated only and am still hovering around 1870 but i am sure that if egypt were nerfed that would be different - yes isis too!

FIRST when u start the game press CRTL and the down arrow on the keypad - the screen is bigger u can see more it helps ok - nice

firstly never use centaurs in more than groups of 2 to raid. Why? because with there special attack they kill 1 villie in one shot in groups of two. So hotkey them and sit them just out of l-o-s and just dart in kill one villie and dart out again.

never send a centaur to raid alone because he gets there fires his shot the villie runs home and it is no kill. You have also given away what units u r making without even killing a villie and for sure a hero will be waiting for u next time.

I use centaurs in two ways. If I rush with them I classical 4.30-5 and pump two cents for raiding one side of my opps base. I then build two more and send them around the other side a little later. Speed is essential as u might have 2 kills before they get towers or counters.

Now u have to micro centaurs because when the heroes come they die soooooooo fast. This means u will need to hotkey both raiding parties. Dont bolt hero it is a waste unless u really have to, centaurs are faster and should always be able to run off. Ranged or cav heroes are the exception to that rule. Microing makes my econ suck eggs but it is worth it just keep that tc pumping and the gather point set and make sure you are constantly watching the battles.

The second way to use centaurs and much easier is to go up late slap down two stables build horses and centaurs as u can. Cavalry and centaurs are versatile strong and noone like to see them in classical. I think this is zeus's stongest unit combo in classical and whilst not my favourite it does the job. You should be looking to pop 115 around 10 mins with about 4 centaurs and upgraded hippokons. This should give you map control for the first part of classical at least.

I'm getting carried away now and listening to tunes so I will continue with my minataur rush if any of u are interested. This is the funnest strategy going and is so effective if you get it right - which is hard.

minataurs are giants in classical thay have a throw which is an instakill most units and villies so just touch a villie and it is dead.

The premise is to send 2 minataurs staight to ur opps base as early as possible walk straight into their base IGNORE ARROWS they dont hurt minos and throw villies. The disadvantage minataurs have over centaurs is that you can not run off from heroes so how do u deal with them well 3 ways. well when u see the first hero its bolt time ! next hero your minataurs will attack and kill him (unless greek) when there hitpoints are low walk them out of the base stand them still and restoration. That is a lot of hitpoints replenished and you have just killed 4 villies made him make 3/4 heroes and not even lost a unit toxotes work well on high food maps cos u dont have to farm too early and can advance with ur opp, on low food maps though i would use the wood for early farming and raid with hippos after your initial assault which should have put you considerably ahead. Make ur first two heroes straigh after classical too they r cheap and if your minos have used bolt restoration your heroes can kill their heroes. u will have 4 very strong units 2 minos 2 heroes in ur opps base by 6 mins.

This strat works up to 1850 for me but I'm sure a faster player could get it higher.

Generally I use minataurs for norse and centaurs for greek.

Things that annoy me as greek - when u make a lumber and the villes go to the gold that is 18 tiles away.

if any greeks are having trouble with midgard fish big fight with like 3 ships - cast cease fire when he is about to kill ur fishing - about 7 - 8 mins earliest. This will give u enough time to pop with zeus's hoplites and go directly to his tc upgrade them to medium on the way over.

what else ooh if you practice on medi you can hit a 4.30 classical with two docks try it

3 wood
next dock and house then to wood
3 sheep
1 more wood for total of 5
rest food
do not build granary find sheeps if u can if not delay granary untill last sheep is gone
build no more than 8 ships before your temple and second house.
This should see u up at 4.30 if u practice it and is the only way i can win water against a good player with zeus on medi. It is damn hard

dont copy create

I am gonna go do quickmatch now with zeus i gonna do the centaur thing the minataur thing and the water build and post it for all you zeusers out there. i will put the link in this thread in an hour or so

Don't worry about set keep it real zeus will rule the expansion

Farmer

Replies:
posted 30 August 2003 07:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
lol good guide, taught me a lot abotu zeus actually =)

i guess we got to make an overpowered Zeus thread now

Vagabond_Meow
Rating: 1843 God: Ra
Rating: 1833 God: Isis

[This message has been edited by Meow_Man_LOL (edited 08-30-2003 @ 07:30 PM).]

posted 30 August 2003 07:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
Ok now this strategy forum is starting to be redundant . . .
posted 30 August 2003 07:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
I have no clue what redudant means but I agree you by all means.

Vagabond_Meow
Rating: 1843 God: Ra
Rating: 1833 God: Isis
posted 30 August 2003 07:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
No, it's not redundant, because this post was actually informative. Unlike the other centaur "guide".
Good post.
posted 30 August 2003 10:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
minos are good.

they can beat all classical mus except the cyclops. I always get the upgrade as soon as classical. Too bad it is a bad idea to go with athena on competitive games due to expensive techs. THis is an article I posted on another thread.

"I have tried using tox+minos as zeus early on (the mino is a very fun unit. In a big classical engagement, it is quite a spectacle to watch 3 minos battling in the middle of the encounter. Once and again you see rc flying away) and its powerful. But I usually struggle before I am able to put out the first mino (I always get upgrade first to get no idle tc) but many times toxotes behind buildings can buy enough time. The only problem is you need 2 pegasus to be able to prepare for the next raid due to the low mino speed.

The lack of ceasefire is a pain when heroic against frost and when you find you would be able to take a forward tc if you could get enough time. Although it is possible to only get some of your military frozen if you micro well. Restoration is good in early classical at my level (1700-1750. dropped to low 1700s due to 1 and a half weeks of no online play before today) when a big wave of rc decide to engage your tox+minos and you find you have not enough minos to cover the could-be-killer-damage to your, at the time, indispensable toxotes.

You can get heroic by 11 wih tox-minos (3-4-5 minos) with a wood-food heavy econ (get 12 or so vils on food before advancing to classical and move 3 of them to wood in the transition. Add to wood on classical and be sure to have enough herdables just in case your hunting out parties get into trouble). You are able to beat back all raids but you lose map control.

It is possible to put down a pair of academies in transition to heroic and get med upgrade and sarissa (it is quite good against norse when combined with copper mail. Too bad it only upgrades hoplites.) and get hoplites out in heroic to try to regain map control using the bonus against buildings. Sarissaed, copper mailed hops should catch your opponent unprepared for the first hop aparitions due to the big amount of rc he is probably using to beat your toxotes. The difficult part here is getting the pop to do this. Get a tc asa heroic is researched. Sometimes apollo is a good choice due to the possibility of getting a forward tc. The only problem is fire weapons for you will not have bronze nor ceasefire and restoration wont bail you out. Since minos act as one-headed cheaper hydras, going apollo is good so that you get a wood mu and some upgrades to your fielded toxotes (if you have the favor). But the manticore, as is known, does not justify its cost on pop and that pop is needed for hops or petrebolos.

It is a fun path. It deviates from the common hipp-centaur. It means sacrificing map control though (although in cases in chess, the great pros sometimes sacrifice their towers, the best unit for board control, to get their bishops into outstanding positions). You can even this odd if you move on to heroic hastily and before the enemy and are able to get those upgrades to your hoplites.

I have had more fun than success with this strat (although most of the games I've lost are mostly because I have faced quite resourful opponents) so I dont recomend those of you who live for your rating to use it right away. Maybe experiment with it and add your own touch as you try it."

posted 30 August 2003 10:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
1900... ur an expert

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 30 August 2003 10:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 35  
    You said that minos throw vills. Dont they headbutt them?
    Anyways, great post, it sure helped me when playing as Zeus. I got to try the minos strat. It sounds cool!!

"Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be greater"

posted 30 August 2003 11:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
    GREAT MOTHER FOOOKIN POST!! !This is wha i needed..thank u pimp
    posted 30 August 2003 11:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35  
    cool

i've been trying zues laty and he is by far one of the funnest civs

but is the mino rush worth it? would you rather have 3-4 hipps?and athena's techs arn't that good either..
    o well no use argueing with an expert(u are one btw

to choose doubt as a philosophy of life is like to choose immobility as a means of transportation.
    posted 31 August 2003 04:58 AM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
    I agree with Mokon ure an expert!!!
    posted 31 August 2003 09:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
    that's a neat idea about the two-mino thing. i'll have to try it out.

also appreciate the medit tips. i agree it's very hard to win the water as zeus.

fh

posted 31 August 2003 09:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
    Very informative post. One thing I'm wondering, I heard that if you task a Centaur on a vil he will kill it in 2 shots (1 special, 1 normal). Isn't it better to do this with 2 centaurs? I guess it depends how close you can get them.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 31 August 2003 08:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
    Hey I am definately no expert guys but i do know a lot about zeus - I will now post those games i played yesterday it include me playing a pimp with hades on medi and hitting classical with a nice 4.15 time with fishing ships two docks up and two galleys out straight away. Apply this same build to zeus. It is a greeks only hope

The minataur post will also be up in 1 hour - (as soon as I do it) sorry I forgot to do them yesterday but I didn't think anyone would read.

posted 31 August 2003 11:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
    oh i dont know GoW, lets refer to our last couple of games... I was zeus in each one and, while everybody else built cav i build hero+mino's(like 4)+toxes+hops.Omg did I own all of you or what??!Minos dont suck and everytime my army was in trouble i retreated and used resoration, a brand new army, heading for you.Ever since these last few games, ill prolly rarely go hermes anymore .

oh yah btw, I owned you and diva same time! lol- dont argue dude you know it.

|My Site|Recs|SaM|-Fenrir_Ghost - Matches - Challenge Me
    I am life.I am luxury.I am the envy, that brings such ugly.I dont have a two-way, nor a cell-phone.My thoughts do not touch yourself alone.I am society.I strive to be the positive inside me.My opinion's are lively, used to describe me.Look at your negative, and how you live it.Dismiss the explicit in your mind and visit the bright side of community, and how you enrich it.
    I am the Luxuries of Life, therefor my Life is Luxury

[This message has been edited by lifeofluxury12 (edited 08-31-2003 @ 11:50 PM).]

posted 31 August 2003 11:54 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
    yes. i can't argue, but U didn't own me. drake did . i was the one that killed ur army remeber? plus we were playing on noob level , you can't bring that up as an example. look at one of fh's games, or pimp_uk's. u can use cents more effectivly then minos, imo.

to choose doubt as a philosophy of life is like to choose immobility as a means of transportation.
    posted 31 August 2003 11:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
    newb level! WTF! lmao diva rate= 1715= more then mine!you and diva doubled me so i retreated, came back and owned, and before i got to you you resigned so you were practically owned. and you know that my archiac hero made a big differance in one- or two of those games.just face it man lmao/ well im not going to discuss this further just admit you got owned in gc4 lol

I am life.I am luxury.I am the envy, that brings such ugly.I dont have a two-way, nor a cell-phone.My thoughts do not touch yourself alone.I am society.I strive to be the positive inside me.My opinion's are lively, used to describe me.Look at your negative, and how you live it.Dismiss the explicit in your mind and visit the bright side of community, and how you enrich it.
    posted 01 September 2003 00:01 AM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
    the thing is that ceasefire is so versatile.

not to mention that if there are enough hersirs/priests or even one ranged greek hero your minos can be put to waste.

not to say that it isn't a tough classical army, just that it's slow and you have to choose your attack wisely while not losing too much map control.

don't give up on hermes because he blends very well with dionysus or apollo in heroic.

another nice thing i just learned about aegis shield is that it really does benefit all of zeus' infantry. it had been "confirmed" before to me that this was just a glitch in the game. that does make athena a touch better, esp against eggy. the problem, of course, is that u give up on a quick and easy way to counter non-eclipsed ancestors. however, you do have access to bronze + restoration combo as well as rockin athena-hephaestus myrms in mythic.

if ancestors wasn't so powerful i'd take athena every time vs. eggy since hipps and cents don't work so well vs. them. hop-tox-mino and hip-cent are about equal vs. the norse so either way you can be ok. vs. greek you can either go all out athena hop (owns everything in classical vs. greek) or else hip-cent (with tox only if u see hop).

i think athena is best used in conjunction with a fast-heroic vs. eggy.

go fast heroic through athena-apollo and get a sweet army of hyp-pelt. that's pretty hard for an eggy to beat.

in mythic it's onto the myrmidons

fh

fh

posted 01 September 2003 00:04 AM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
    yes but fh you will have a nice blend of toxotes to take out counter infantry.Trust me you just have to retreat the minos, hero will follow, toxes snipe em'.With good micro that army is very very hard to stop/

oh yeah fh you should always have 2 heroes handy, and did you know minos geta vrs myth unit bonus?its really cool cuz they can headbut those annoying einherjarls b4 they blow that horn.minos are really really good classical fighting units.

[This message has been edited by lifeofluxury12 (edited 09-01-2003 @ 00:07 AM).]

posted 01 September 2003 00:06 AM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
    umm U did no of that to me. and diva played with gruns(a 1900+ player) smurf to get those rates yes you did own, but cents are still better. i'd rather mash ur econ then a few army units. and u din't get dbl, she had 3 tax, u already smoked her army. and as fh said i think i killed on of ur mions or at least realy damaged both with my peist and fh i'd rather have my uber cav raiding, but thats just my taste

posted 01 September 2003 00:08 AM EDT (US)     20 / 35  
    ok, out of 3 games, i built about 40 minos, now 1 deads erally going to hurt me? I has heavy on food and my minos only costed 135 food with the relic and bull mino upp

posted 01 September 2003 00:13 AM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
    u built at least 2 at most 3 and i just ran u out of 150 food and some wood if u got the upgrade, for 100 gold. and ur heavy food means lesson gold and wodd meaning less army or not as fast times of makeing a new one.if you played a more skilled player then YOU would have got owned

posted 01 September 2003 00:18 AM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
    ok i would of got owned? are you challenging me? listen here gow, i made much more then 3, go check my stats if you dont believe me.Fact is that there is NO pure counter to this strat.RAiding is only going to result in hops by my res drop sites to kill ur cav, and not raiding ill really put the pressure on you in classical.No units counter it perfectly, and with micro it is by far one of hte best ive ever used.Now forgetta about it :P

posted 01 September 2003 00:30 AM EDT (US)     23 / 35  
    ur hops will then no be in the battle while my hipps are. and u are better then me i admit all hail the almight ghost, but, if you where playing... um, tele, or fh, or ren,.. and the list goes on. i was obviously fun i mean wut kinda psyco doesn't think mass a huge minotaur that either bucks people or hits them over the head with an axe isn't fun? and there is. there is always a counter. i can go all his and heros with some tox on da side, or slings and axe with heros, or all r/c. u got a good strat but, zues can be used better.

posted 01 September 2003 01:11 AM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
    I just implemented a Centaur rush using 4 Centaurs in 2 groups of 2 (duh!). It worked nicely. Granted, my opponent was a little on the slow side but he still amanged decently despite frequent raiding. I think the real advantage I had was going Hermes Apollo and having uber Pegasi, they really were the difference maker because I found two of his gold mines and an early hunting party. It paid off in the end.

Great strat

posted 01 September 2003 11:14 AM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
    by what? massing hippikons? thats gay and no fun, and sapamming rc is also gay and no fun.Need I say more?

and btw Ill try it against anybody on that list.And wat im saying is its a combo that counters every single unit in the game.What did I miss out? its been proven zeus hop/tox is better then hipp anyways

[This message has been edited by lifeofluxury12 (edited 09-01-2003 @ 11:17 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » centaur guide
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames