You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Newbie guide
posted 06 September 2003 01:07 PM EDT (US)   
There have recently been many people making pointless "guides". I'm trying to make a decent.

In a game today (Isis[me] vs. Zeus) I met a newbie who revealed to me why he didn't maintain a constant villager flow.
He believed that if he made too many villagers he wouldn't have enough resources for a military.

He thought I was incredably good. Despite the fact I was just messing around. Not making troops when I had ample resources. I just raided (With loads of anubites).
When I attacked his less defended wood he rang his town bell and all the villagers from his more defended gold mine stopped working.

I'm writing this to help all those who make the classic newbie miskates (so 1700+ players can switch off).

Constant villager production

Firstly and most importantly do NOT stop making villagers unitl you have enough to keep all your military buildings (rax) working and make more villagers if needed (This is usually about 40+, but you can never have too many villagers).
You probably need constant villager production to stay over 1600!
In archaic make villagers none-stop! The only stops should be when you're advancing. Advance with about 20 villagers.

Upgrades

Don't skip on economic upgrades. Get hunting dogs straight away on hunting maps, and get husbandry instead on herdable maps (NOTE: You may need to scout to find the type of food on maps like Alfheim). If you do get hunting dogs get husbandry after your temple is up.

Always get the line upgrades (medium/heavy/champion) first.
After that don't foget about armory upgrades.
If you have them and your enemy doesn't you can probably win. When you hit full pop is often a good time to research them if you haven't already.
However don't upgrade units you don't have.
i.e. Don't get the medium axemen upgrade when you're making spearmen.

The Town Bell

Never ring your town bell, unless an enemy cast fimbulwinter.
When a gathering site gets raided simply move the villagers under attack away and under TC, Fortress or tower fire until the raiders leave.

Military

Always make the units that counter your enemy's army.
i.e. Don't make Hippikon vs. Hoplites, or Hoplites vs. Axemen, slingers vs. RC e.t.c.

Avoid fighting battles you can't win. Don't send you're 10 axemen army against his 30 axemen army.

Keep those military buildings busy.
Make sure they're always working. If you leave some buildings idle your enemy can get his army back faster.

Sea battles

Always take the sea. Fishing is like fast farming. Fight for it. Often players make 3 docks by the classical age so they can get arrow ships onto the battlefield quickly.
God powers like Plague of Serpents and Pestilence can be useful here.

Map control

All there is to this is scouting and securing resources.
When you gain ground, build on it. This is why I often have people gathering near the front-line so I can get them to quickly build in ground I take.

Raiding

Raiding is vital. You must raid to keep your opponent's economy down, and your's up. He will likely raid you so keep a few units to defend.

Hotkeys

Hotkeys speed up your gameplay and enable you to do things quickly and efficiently.
Hotkeys often separate 1600 and 1700 players.

These are a few key tips for new players and those struggeling at lower ratings.

Also ZhaZ's newbie guide is good for any new players.

Don't judge those who try and fail.
Judge only those who fail to try.

[This message has been edited by Quintus (edited 09-06-2003 @ 01:09 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06 September 2003 01:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 1  
THanx for trying to help but dont post the guides here..... give them to stumpy to upload

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Newbie guide
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames