You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to raiding
posted 15 September 2003 06:13 AM EDT (US)   
First of all, raiding has to be one of the most effective way's of winning a game, without raiding you are highly increasing the likeliness of losing your game.

The Egyptians are not particularly used for raiding, as they are more of a booming civilisation, but it is usually good (for you at least) to keep pressure on the other player. Why let your opponent build up an nearly unbeatable army while you are booming, the opponent is most likely taking map control at the same time, which will really hurt you.

Raiding units

Greek - The Greek should use hippikon primarily for raiding as they are fast and fairly strong. Use centaurs also if you are either Zeus or Poseidon, as two centaurs will kill one villager in one shot with their special attack.

Egyptians - With the Egyptians lacking in a cavalry unit, they are the worst for raiding (this still doesn't make them unaffective). During classical age, use spearmen to raid. Spearmen are fast for infantry units and powerful, and if you happen to come across an enemy raiding unit you will be effective against them. Once advanced to the heroic age, start pumping out chariot archers, these have good range and are also powerful and very fast.

Norse - Raiding cavalry obviously are the first choice for the Norse in attacking enemy villagers. They are the most agile and can be produced fast compared to other civilisations' raiding units.

How to raid

- The more army buildings you construct - the faster you will be able to get units, so try getting around three buildings down.
- Start raiding as soon as possible. You should scout all the enemies area before advancing to classical and have uncovered his miners preferably. The sooner you attack the more effective the raiding will be.
- It is not always essential to kill enemy villagers, as stopping them working is just as useful. Try to disrupt them as much as possible.
- As soon as enemy units are in reaching distance from your soldiers, retreat and then try to attack other villagers which are most likely unguarded.
- Try not to lead too much concentration on raiding, you will want to keep pressure on your opponent and take his mind off the rest of the map, thus allowing you to takeover map control.
- Never stop your army buildings producing units.

How to prevent raiding

-Don't place all of your villagers in one spot, instead space your villagers over 2+ areas. Although this will make it more likely you are spotted, at least you have some villagers to fall back onto
-Use up resources further afield, this way you will have some resources in your base to fall back on if you are attacked.
- If there is a reasonable amount of villagers and only a couple of raiding units, don't run attack them with your villagers. AOM's villagers are stronger then ensemble studios' former games.
- Are you near a tower? Garrison the attacked units into the tower until a sufficient amount of your army comes to relieve the pressure. Don't ring the town bell - causing your hole economy to collapse for a while.
- If you are playing against a notorious raiding civilisation, like Odin or Poseidon, construct your buildings like walls with slight wholes for units to walk through. Build a shelter for your gold miners, with the opening towards the town centre, with sufficient space to move.
- No resources left in your base? If you are being raided alot then build fairly open walls around the resource and maybe build a lone tower near the gate or unmarked area. If the gate gets attacked send some of your army towards the area and if there is no ranged unit's then repair the wall with your villagers.
- Don't upgrade towers or prevent raiding unless you have been raided, you don't want to waste resources on what is not needed.
- If you are raided, upgrade towers as soon as possible if you are not Egyptians, then research Crenellations from a tower. This is a useful tech against raiders - causing double damage against cavalry and improved building fire accuracy.
- If you are seriously being raided your mind away, then place relevant counter unit's near your resource blackspots.
- Raid back! There is no better pleasure in giving your opponent at taste of their own medicine.

FAQs

Is it really that important to get Crenellations?

If you are only being raided poorly, by a few units every 4 minutes or so, i would leave crenellations. But if you have the spare resources i would definitely get this tech.

When should i start raiding?

As soon as you have advanced to the classical age and got buildings up, raid as soon as possible. If your opponent hasn't advanced by the time you are doing your first raid, he will not be able to counter it, this is also one of the prime times to raid.

I don't raid, do you think i'm making a mistake?

Raiding can really allow you to climb a lot of points in the ladder, unlike booming - as i found out myself!

Should i still raid even once i have reached Heroic?

Yes. But raiding isn't the highest priority later in the game, but you can really find some nice collections of villagers if you attack later.

I've tried raiding but the opponent took all the precautions previously stated. What do i do now?

It is best to make sure you are making an army and taking map control while raiding, this way once you have come to the end of raiding, you then can suprise him by taking town centres once advancing (thanks to your uber economy and his poor economy) and you can attack him where he least expects it (not the resource areas).

What is a good size of units for raiding?

A good size is between 3-8. You really don't want much more, as this will cause terrible pathing problems.

When is raiding most effective?

It is best to raid as soon as you have hit classical and if your opponent uses any economy GPs. If Isis uses prosperity, attack the gold miners. If Ra uses Rain, attack his farmers (don't attack farmers around a town centre). Another good time to raid, though a late time - is to raid once fimbulwinter has been casted with the possibilty of causing serious economy damage.

How do i know where my opponent will raid next?

If you have spotted a scout nearby you (i.e Kataskopos/Odin's raven and an ulfsark) then you should take necessary precautions incase he raids. Any open spaces will be the most vulnerable to attack. Aslo check the minor god sequence your enemy goes through - Hermes and Freyja usually indicate raiders.

Well, this is all i can come up with at this time. Any corrections, suggestions or comments, feel free to say

Edits

- Mummy9011 reminded me that MU can also be effective unit's against villagers. 2 Anubites are extremely powerful against a bunch of villagers. Sphinx can be powerful too against villagers, in herds (is that the word) they can be devasting. Nearly all Mu are good raiding unit's. I wouldn't recommend a Wadjet for raiding though :P.Thanks for the help!

-Outthere says that Raiders have a shorter LOS then your villagers so you can move them without the enemy noticing. Thanks for that

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

[This message has been edited by Sulphent (edited 09-16-2003 @ 06:27 AM).]

Replies:
posted 15 September 2003 07:29 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
nice guide here.
u could also add some MU's (Anubites, Sphinxes, Valkyries, Centaurs) to help your raiding.

[This message has been edited by mummy9011 (edited 09-15-2003 @ 07:30 AM).]

posted 15 September 2003 07:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Thanks for reminding me :P i edited the post with your name

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
posted 15 September 2003 07:43 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
Good Guide
Also... How do i know where my opponent will raid next?
Odins ravens can be a tell tale sign if they stay in one place for more than 20 seconds.
And... A lot of raiding units have small los chances are u can move your villies before the raiders find u.
posted 15 September 2003 07:48 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
When i said scout i meant all the scouts but i made it more clearer and i also added an edit for the LOS issue, thanks

[This message has been edited by Sulphent (edited 09-15-2003 @ 07:51 AM).]

posted 15 September 2003 10:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Nice guide.

One note though, sphinxes can't use their whirlwind special attack against villies

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 15 September 2003 10:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Ah well that sucks! i'm sure you know though with you being the egyptian MU expert -editted.

posted 15 September 2003 01:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
oh no, not another guid...

oh wait, a guide to raiding, must read....

nice guide

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
posted 15 September 2003 01:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
I have been dissatisfied with the sphinx for raiding. If the special worked on villies it might be too good, but as is it seems to weak. Of course the cheaper upgrades helped that a bit but anubites work soooo much better. Its one of my dilemmas playing Isis - Eclipse + ancestors or Anubites? It seems currently more people lean to the faster heroic, eclipse+ancestor route, basically forgoing raiding in favor of early expansion and powerful head-on attack (ec + ancestors + seige + whatever).

Poor Ra just doesn't have a good classical raider. One of his problems I think - if you nerf the FH that bad he needs something else in classical.

posted 15 September 2003 01:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  

Quote:

If you have spotted a scout nearby you (i.e Kataskopos/Odin's raven and an ulfsark) then you should take necessary precautions incase he raids

That's why ravens are good raiders too . All you have to do is place them above an enemy gold mine and he will send his villagers away. You don't even have to send RC towards them

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
posted 15 September 2003 01:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
One of the best ways of setting up early warning nets around your vulnerable resource gathering camps is to use Hermes Pegasi (with the Winged Messenger tech). Costing only 2 favour, they are very useful for scouting and also setting up to stay at strategic locations. I once created five and sent them all around the opponents base at the main gold mines. I raided like hell when I saw vills appear, advanced to Heroic, build one Petrobolos, destroyed his TC and then mopped up the last resistance with my Hipp and Cent raiders.
But then I am a low rating so this may not work as well for higher games.
There is a problem with pop when it comes to Pegasi. Many will argue that they take up to many valuable pop slots, and I agree with that, but if I am not desparate for a few more fighters, I will usually keep a few up, at least.

Peredhil
Arguments are to be avoided;
they are always vulgar and often convincing - Oscar Wilde
posted 15 September 2003 02:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
Actually, Sphinxes are excellent raiders. (See Caden's guide)

I'll also mention their skill at raiding in their MU article

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 15 September 2003 02:46 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
Thanks for the positive responses

posted 15 September 2003 03:29 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
Thanks man, I n00b like me ain't good at raiding!
posted 15 September 2003 03:40 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
Good Guide Sulphent.
I think that you really helpe out some of the rookie players out there(Myself).j/k
BTW, I did not know that sphinx could not use their special vs vills.

"Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be greater"

posted 15 September 2003 04:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Good job Sulphent!

I am mad though because I was working on the mother of all raiding articles for a couple of weeks now and you beat me to it. Oh well, I may still post it.

Liked reading yours though.

posted 15 September 2003 04:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Tbarak, sorry to steal the limelight but post your guide once it is ready anyway, there is probably better information in yours if you have been working on it so long

posted 15 September 2003 06:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
It is funny though that the worst raiders (the eggies) are the most powerful civ nowadays (some how it proves the fact of aom being all about raiding wrong). Well set has animals, but Isis does not and she is one big powerhouse.
posted 15 September 2003 06:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Nice Guide.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 16 September 2003 02:33 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
If you don't wanna scare your opponent away with your Ravens (which can be a good strategy too), don't leave it over a gold mine. When you spot one, get away and return to check the villies once in a while until you raid.
posted 16 September 2003 05:39 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
very nice guide. this makes me want to raid again since i haven't been in my ego to raid anymore. now u gave it back!
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A guide to raiding
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames