You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Flank's Anti-Oranus (Turma) Strategy (from MFO/PAoM)
posted 24 October 2003 09:07 PM EDT (US)   
I got this from a post in MFO, which came from Flank's post in PAoM.

If you have been playing much 1v1 rated then you will have come up against someone using Oranus and pumping Turma. This is hard to counter because the units that back up the turma have very high bonuses against units that kill Turma. It might be easier to switch to Oranus yourself if you reall want to win, but personally I am not ready to cross the river Styx so I have developed something to beat Oranus with Hades. So, how do I beat the Turma civ with mmy Toxote civ? I found that I could not win battles head on and i could not out-raid my opponents. A myth based strategy is no good because of the Valor god power. All that is left is to out-boom your opponent. This will utilise the Hades building bonuses as well as god powers. This may sound boring but as you will see from the recorded games it really is not boring against Oranus. This will work on all maps, even the water maps. You may lose out at first when you lose your fishing but you will soon have many more villagers than your opponent anyway.

Here is a rough build: You want to start with 5 or 6 vils and food and get a food tech (often hunting dogs first). Put 3 on wood, then 3 on gold then another one on wood then more on food. You want a total of at least 6 vils on each woog and gold when you advance and more vils on food. Husbandry should be your second ecen upgrade and then the wood and gold techs in either order. You want all techs in archaic. If you see a good relic or two you can get Ajax in archaic, otherwise make sure that getting him is the first thing you do when you reach classical. You can reach classical anywhere between 5:00 and 6:30 and still be ok. I usually go with Ares for the stronger myth, better techs and Pestilance which you should use early to slow Turma production and stop yourself from getting raided as badly as you could be.

When you reach classical grab two settlements. Use Ajax and your cyclops to defend the more dangerous one as it is going up. Use sentinals if you need to and i often get the tower upgrade too. You now have three hades TCs, sentinals and owers to defend you. Keep making vils and get the farm tech as soon as you start to farm. Get one or both of the other econ techs when you can and if gold looks a little dodgy then even get the Vault of Erebus technology. Making more towers is optional. Not only are towers expensive but they take a long time to build and you really want all your vils to be working. If you are not sure whether or not you need a tower, then dont build one. You will lose some villagers to raids but he will lose some Turma and you shold still easily be able to outboom him even if you lose many vils.

Dont worry about going to heroic. When your boom is going very strong get ready to make your army. You will make either Hoplites or Hippikons. If your opponent has pure Turma going with hipps, if he has some infantry too go with hopps. When your opponent makes cheiros you want to slow hoplite production a lot and make more hipps. As your opponent makes more infantry you are going to need some Toxotes. Upgrade your army and dont rush to get to heroic. Your opponent may have better units than you but you should soon have all the classical upgrades for yours and you should be able to out-produse him.

The Often go with Aphrodite for heroic. Curse is always useful and of course the econ techs are good. Nemean lions are also good against Turma if you can afford them. In heroic you want to mix a lot of Peltasts with your tox and even mix a few counter infantry with your hoplites. Get your upgrades early (you should be able to afford them) and dont forget the fortified town center upgrade for that extra 15 pop spaces. Get a market or two down and make a few caravans. Dont go overboard on these until you need to. Artemis is usful for Mythic simply because of Earthquake. You can use it on a town center or even a titan gate and it will always help you. Chimera are not bad either.

That's it. Simple but effective. I will include two recorded gamesof this. These games are not one-sided. I have picked these because they both demonstrate my strategy and are not too boring. They show how it is a struggle to win with Hades but it is not impossible. I wont tell you who wins the games, but I will say that you may be surprised

Example 1:
http://www.planetaom.com/images/forums/members/flank/AreaX51.rcx

Example 2:
http://www.planetaom.com/images/forums/members/flank/SuperTed.rcx

- Flank

I checked out one of the games, the first one. Not only it shows excellent economy/booming/greek strategy, it also shows a good way of defending/attacking once your almost-dead enemy gets a Titan out.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Replies:
posted 24 October 2003 09:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
There is an extremely good game with Flank vs Imrabbit on that guide. Definately worth a watch, especially if you're interested in Hades or Greeks in general. Its amazing how you can fight off an enemy with no military units. I wish I could do that

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 25 October 2003 02:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
I have now lost 12 of 13 games vs Oranus players so (Zeus/ Greek player myself) so this will definatly give me some spark of hope,

Thanks Kumar

Zone Name= DeaconRien
Founding Father of the Deacon Empire

"I am the Dragon, before me you tremble"
-Francis Dolarhyde (Red Dragon 2002)

[This message has been edited by DeaconRien (edited 10-25-2003 @ 02:27 AM).]

posted 25 October 2003 06:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Well written guide but booming that heavily? Oh well gonna watch the records before judging.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

posted 25 October 2003 06:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Good reading and some interesting games

Flank takes advantage of Atlanteans greatest weakness, the lack of building destroyers before heroic.

Almost impossible to do anything once those extra tough Hades buildings are up (kind of fun watching 100's of turmas shooting at a TC ).

By the time they try to catch up it is too late and Flank's economy is rolling all over them.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
posted 25 October 2003 07:52 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
yeah these games are wicked-good and i've been trying this out. a really good example of HOW to boom effectively. seems to me that building tcs in classical is a solution to booming gods' problems. the thing with 3 tcs is that your econ is spread out so raiders can only do so much dmg at a particular location and time.

i tried this in a 2v2 that was basically a pair of 1v1s the other day. i was up vs. isis, who you'd expect to maul a hades player. i've played him before and we are close to the same skill. i took 2 tcs as soon as i got to classical at 6:10. from there i had the econ to start setting up a hip-tox operation and i went on to steal one of his tcs because he was massing a pop-max army before taking tcs. so i was up 4 tcs to 2 and pumping villies from all of them. when he came at me with his pop-max spear-sling army i used sentinels on my forward tc and kept my army close to the tc as well (i only had half his army). i managed to beat him back long enough to get a pop-max army and i started to upgrade them.

basically, it was gg then because he was running out of gold mines and everytime our armies clashed i won because i had more troops.

it's a great strat when used correctly.

hades in mythic also has great gold income (the two vaults) and really strong archers that kill infantry and buildings alike (gastraphetes).

fh

posted 25 October 2003 09:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
I saw the record with 51. Booming wasnt good simply because he couldnt keep his tcs busy. I mean whats the point into making a tc that early, if you cant keep it busy? Very rarely early on was able to keep them busy.

I think he might have been better just to make hippikon and maybe just a second tc. I find it really funny that his enemy avoided making catapeltes and continued massing turmas. Not to mention the total lack of military buildings that area51 had on the front.

Good game though but flank was better(simply cause his eco was way stronger and this wasnt cause he did an early boom but cause he kept making villagers later on). If you see the civilian timeline(ok i know that 51 was atlantean but still), 51 made villagers too slowly and even later, he didnt even get many villagers either.

Best eco won. But that eco wasnt so strong cause of early booming(although early booming did help a little), it was so strong cause his enemy eco was so weak. Making 3 tcs that early and having them idle most of the time serves no purpose.

PS 51 forgot to use his freaking favor. I hate it when ppl do this.

*EDITED*

I saw the game with teddy. Much better game. Teddy lost the game when he kept trying to kill a tc with turmas and generally he wasnt agressive enough. This booming strategy worked even better on this game cause flank kept his tcs busy and he even managed to steal an enemy tc. Still the better man won and not the strategy.

Both games are fun to watch. They dont follow the usual and boring strategies. It might not be the most effective strategy on the world but it kinda works(depending on your enemy) and probably little fun. Makes your enemy look like an idiot cause he cant beat you even though you dont have an army .

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 10-25-2003 @ 10:15 AM).]

posted 25 October 2003 10:20 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
Listen, the first game is a testament to Flank's skill and willpower, not much more. The game NEVER was in his favor, even up to the moment of resignation. Hades NEVER had the advantage and was always scrabbling for his life even though the Oranos player, once again, made 80% Turmas. This does not give much hope to the average player. I do agree that Hades buildings is a showpiece.

I mean, could you imagine the drain playing game after game like that would be? I'd be throwing my copy out the window.

I haven't watched the second game yet.

AOM:TT Nick:CADENtheCRUEL, CADENtheBLUE
Rating: Isis 1750, Ra 1700
"Ancestors last for a minute, but Crocs last forever..."
posted 25 October 2003 10:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
i been doin this strat for a while and @ the mo i can get 3t/cs and start makin hops and tox at around 8mins instead of 10.. i think it might do better on water maps..it did for me last nite..
posted 25 October 2003 11:11 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
I've been trying on this strat on vanilla AoM since I first played the game... but it never worked since in vanilla we can build TCs in Classical.

Thaanks Flank for developing the strat and Kumar for bringing it to us. Maybe now my beloved Hades can be played by more players in ESO!

"Wololooooo"
(Phrase of wisdom said by an old Byzantine priest)
posted 25 October 2003 12:25 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
I think that this just shows that flank was much better than the oranos player and the other guy, rabbit, had a bad game, I may be being cynical. But it seemed that rabbit was messing about with a FH seeing a hades player and thinking he would own him. There was very little fighting/raiding until quite late which allowed flank to get his econ going and start making an army (thought it was quite funny when he took out rabbits fwd temple when rabbit had more troops ). I really dont think that this game would have gone the same way if Rabbit had gone for heavy raiding/classical fighting...
posted 25 October 2003 01:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
The naysayers can naysay, but a strat that gets you to the top 20 is worthwhile imho... I agree with Caden though you have to be kind of mashochistic to pull it off.. "Come on, kill my vills, I have more HAHAH"
posted 25 October 2003 03:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
@NIB, as said, the first game IMO, Flank was in a bad position many a times. The whole point of this strategy is to have a better econ than your opponent, so even though early in the game you would be losing out, eventually it would be better for you.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Flank's Anti-Oranus (Turma) Strategy (from MFO/PAoM)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames