You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to Choosing a Civilization
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 13 November 2003 10:05 PM EDT (US)   
On many a forum I see some of the same posts over and over again, "Which civilization is the best for beginners" or "What is the best noob civilization". I present to you today a guide to all 12 Gods (and not to be discriminative, Goddesses) I will tell you their strengths and weaknesses, and the best way to choose a civilization.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----
Choosing your civilization:
Choosing your civilization is like choosing an icecream flavor, you don't like it so next time around don't have it. When I see people play certain civilizations one questiton comes to my mind, "What the hell?". To be the best you can be at this game you have to take advantage of every aspect of your civilization. For example I once saw someone playing Loki but they neither made myth units or hersirs, nor rushed. So I asked them and they answered with a *shrugs*. I suggested they play Odin because he could scout easier and his hunting and regenerating abilities were key to this players playing style.

Here are all of the special abilities of all of the Gods and goddesses:

Loki
-Hersirs will summon myth units in combat
-Myth units cost less favor
-Ox carts are cheaper, faster and weaker
-His god power Spy lets you target an enemy and see what that unit sees
Loki excells at rushing and is a very aggressive God. Don't play Loki if you like to turtle or play a defensive game. As you see his armies should have more myth units and hersirs than a "normal" norse army.

Thor
-Special Dwarven armory available in all ages
-Dwarves gather all resources faster
-Dwarves cheaper
-His god power Dwarven Mine gives you more gold as you progress in the ages
Thor has the strongest Norse economy but don't be tempted to make an all-Dwarf economy it hurts you in the long run. Thor is an aggressive civ. but probably the least of all of the norse.

Odin
-Human units can regenerate
-Respawining ravens to scout
-Hillfort UNITS have more hp's
-Villagers hunt faster
-GP: Great hunt gives you more animals to hunt in an area
Odin is the only God in the game that has a convienent healing ability. Just keep your units still and they will regenerate. Odin is pretty popular with the top ten Supremacy players. The ravens are the best scouts in the game, use them! Norse buldings are weak with the exception of Odin's hillforts.

Ra
-Priests can empower
-Chariots and camels have more hp's and are faster
-Monuments are cheaper and stronger
-GP: Rain gives you a 300% better farming and everyone else 200%
Ra is no longer UNDER POWERED!!!! (thanks to all of you that pointed that out...my mind is still in AOM vanilla mode!) I prefer Isis (and the millions of others) because mainly of Ra's lack of an offensive heroic age god power. His chariots and camels are made to be abused and if you get into a long game those babies will reek some ownage. The Ra Fast Heroic is a possible strategy as well.

Isis
-Monuments shield gp's
-+3 pop cap for tc's
-improvements cheaper
-GP:Prosperity for 50 seconds it increases gold production
Isis kicks ass. She is not overpowered. All that think that just can't beat her and are idiots for not switching to her if they complain. Her ancestors/eclipse combo is awesome. Throw in a couple sphinx and some camelry and it's good game. She has many strategies available such as a FH, semi FH, FT, and classical rush. Also the +3 pop is very helpful when your opponent has 3 fortified tc's and you have 2, you have about the same pop!

Set
-Priests can convert wild animals
-Pharoah can summon animals
-Archers train faster
-Migdol Cheaper
-GP:Vision, it reveals part of the map
Set owned AOM vanilla but he was nerfed hard. His archers are still helpful though as well as his migdols. A nice little combo is Vision/shifting sands/ancestors shifting some seige rams near your oppoenents tc, lovely.

Zeus
-Hoplites move faster and infantry do bonus vs. buildings
-Start with 25 favor and have 200 favor limit
-Faster favor generation
-GP:Bolt, kills a single unit (even Nidhogg or Son of Osiris!)
Zeus is a pretty good all around civ and has some great strats available such as the centure strangle and a fast mythic. The Greeks in general are a pain in the ass to rush. HIs special fortress unit is nice also as it can be made in the rax now!

Poseidon
-Cavalry cost less
-Militia appear at destroyed buldings
-Fishing ships and caravans travel faster
-Markets cheaper
-GP: Lure brings wild animals
Poseidon IMO is the best of the Greeks. He has a great cavalry rush and better defense as the militia can help. He has a unit comparable to the Tarkan from AOE in the mythic age which literally eats buldings!

Hades
-Dead soldiers may make shades
-Buildings have mroe hp's
-Buildings and archers have better attack
-GP: Sentinel, protects a tc with stone guys
Very underrated and as Flank showed us can be valuable. He is a bitch to Kronos rush and he gets some nice siege archers in the Mythic. His has a nice little FH as well and his turtling skills are only matched by Isis.

Kronos
-Timeshifting abilities
-Cheaper seige and myth units
-GP: Deconstruction which deconstructs a building while giving the owner back its resources.
Kronos has a nice rush and deconstruct is annoying. He can FB pretty effectively as he needs no new villies at the FB location. Like any of the Atlanteans good for newbs because of the lack of need for microing. And if you think Kronos or any of the Atlanteans are op then look at my note about Isis.

Oranos
-Sky passages
-Visibility shared with your ally of all neutral tc's
-Faster units
-GP: Shockwave which temporarily stuns and hurls units in a small area
IMO the most widley used civ. His sky passages can be upgraded to shoot arrows but most just turma spam (which i don't like). A pretty solid newb civilization though.

Gaia
-Lush which prevents enemies from building and heals buldings grows around buldings
-Fishing ships and carvans cheaper
-Eco upgrades cheaper
-GP: Gaia's Forest gives you a source of wood that is harvested faster and can make a decent wall
Gaia is like Hades, considered underpowered. She is my favorite civ though. She is like a lesser Isis economic and defensive. Her FH is very effective.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Those are all of the civilization now you can see if you will exercise all of the strengths. Now I will group them into appropriate categories:

Aggressive
-Kronos
-All Norse

Defensive
-Isis
-Gaia
-Hades

All around
-Zeus
-Pos.
-Oranos

Harder civs to use that have been nerfed
-Ra
-Set
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
The weaknesses of the civs:

Atlanteans
-lack of a decent third age GP that can turn the tide of the game
-Weak tc's
-Slow villies

Greeks
-Can't spam units and win
-bad on water maps
-Slow in general

Egyptians
-No cavlary in classical
-Gaining favor actually costs something!
-Slow builders/gatherers

Norse
-Weak buidlings
-No pierce attackers (no one makes ballistas!)

The best advice when looking for a civ is to choose what you like. When I started playing I played Loki to see the "big dragon" I soon found out he wasn't my style and moved to Isis then to an Isis/Gaia combo. Look at each God or Goddess as a cow. Try to milk everything you can out of them. This guide isn't saying what the BEST civ is. It is merley looking at each civilization and suggesting some possible stats and some strengths and weaknesses. Just play what you like. Any comments or praise or criticism's would be appreciated. Thanks as this is my first guide and I hope to do more.

On ESO I am:
IamTsunami_
GO_Artemis

~Guardians of Olympus Clan Ambassaddor~ Join us at:
www.geocities.com/Guardians_of_Olympus

Thanks to everyone who pointed out about Ra, Thors cavalry, Zeus strategies...etc...

[This message has been edited by IamTsunami_ (edited 11-14-2003 @ 10:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 13 November 2003 10:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
Great guide!

Just one thing. For odin, dont the hillfort units have more hp not the hillfort itself? I dont play odin, ill have to look.

But all around a great post.

posted 13 November 2003 10:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
I don't play Odin either but im 100% sure its the hillforts that do.
posted 13 November 2003 10:18 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
I love this post...nicely done. BTW I use balistas all the time....:b
posted 13 November 2003 10:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
I've only played one person who made them. It was a team game and my allies sucked ;P and i had this norse guy on my backdoor and they had a million hillforts so i tried to get catupults and when i went in for the attack like 40 ballistas appeared. They can really take u by surprise!
posted 13 November 2003 11:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
Ra is not that Under-powered..Ra got a boost in expansion pack..In "Regular AOM" Ra was nerfed and his Migdol units only had 12% more hp..in the Titans Ra was given back his 20% increase in Camel and Chariot HP..this makes up for Ra's lack of an "Offensive GP" Camels with 165 hp straight out the Chute,183 at Heavy Upgrade and 233 fully upgraded are a force to be Rekoned with...also since Eclipse has been improved 4 Petsuchos under an Eclipse is more powerful then Ancestors+Eclipse..try 3 or 4 Ra Petsuchos under and Eclipse sometime..they freaking trash things like no ones business..Also Ra's Preist Empowerment was boosted from 10% to 15%, also Locust Swarm GP was boosted as well...not only will it kill every farm in the area..Cast it on a group of Golminers..i have been able to Kill 13 goldminers in 1 shot with Locust Swarm...now i call that an Offensive GP
Also Rain gives a 300% boost to farming not 200%
posted 14 November 2003 02:30 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
Some good advise there IamTsunami_. If I may humbly add to your already impressive guide:

I totally agree with the importance of aligning your civilization/Gods to your preferred playing style. This is probably the one peice of advise a beginner should really pay attention to.

It could also be said that some civies are easier to play than others. For example, Norse have only two types of rax which produce military units and seige. Atlanteans and Eggies have three while Greek have four. In addition, in a sense Atlantean citizens are easier to micro since one is like three and there is no need to build gathering sites. The fact that one manor equals four houses also really cuts down on the onerous task of house building. Likewise, Norse have mobile gathering sites that only need to be built once unless they are destroyed. I find Eggy and Greek villies need more attention. And finally Norse soldiers build so again no need to fuss with villagers.

But there is one issue you didn't discuss. Although I find most people simply play the civ they "like", this is a subjective choice that doesn't always make competative sense. Some civies are simply stronger than others. There was a reason why most of the top players in AOM played Set. I think this disconnect is the reason why people get so angry when civilizations are overpowered. They are finding that the civ they like to play- and have invested time in learning- is inherently disadvantaged. And for some, changing gods isn't worth it just for the sake of winning.

So, if you are a beginner and want to have fun, play who you like. But if you aspire to take a crack at the top, be prepared as you may have to learn a civ. that you may not necessarily like. Once people get comfortable with the game, I would recommend random. It takes a while to learn all the civies, but it's great training.

Looking forward to your future articles!

posted 14 November 2003 02:50 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Don't you guys remember the overpowered ODIN JARLS!! It was all because his HILLFORT UNITS get MORE HITPOINT. I play odin once in a while and i love his 226 hitpoint rams!!
posted 14 November 2003 02:50 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
Thor doesn't gain gold from attacking buildings with RC.

Ra isn't underpowered in TT.

Otherwise nice guide

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
posted 14 November 2003 02:55 AM EDT (US)     9 / 32  

Quote:

-You recieve gold when your cavalry attack buldings

BTW: this was taken out before the release. Thor never had this (I don't think), Just some idiot put it in the manual.

Great guide.
I notice you put Ra and Set in the "harder" group.
Set is not op (not anymore). If you don't use animals (unless in emergency) or use animals as scouts then you can still be reckoned with. Don't forget his cheaper Migdols and faster training CA and slingers. But his micro often means that another civ is better.

Ra is, no doubt, hard. But if you play well then you're gona kick butt! I would definitly not say Ra is unde-powered though. Like you say, those camals.....ohhh. Ra FH is back (Yep! I use it )!
Ra is much more powerful, not OP, and still hard to play.

Great guide!

Don't judge those who try and fail.
Judge only those who fail to try.

[This message has been edited by Quintus (edited 11-14-2003 @ 03:02 AM).]

posted 14 November 2003 07:04 AM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
Flank was number 15 as hades...I agree with u guys about Ra but compared to Isis...
posted 14 November 2003 07:12 AM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
thanks for everyone who told me the glitches
posted 14 November 2003 10:31 AM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
... or you could just read the manual, where every bonus is explained. Well, good guide.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
posted 14 November 2003 10:33 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
I believe Salska used odin and got the nr 1 spot a short time not long ago. But all in the top 10 you refer to as using odin was actually just his smurfs. Now he gave up odin to as he dont cut it. Take a guess? he went isis!
posted 14 November 2003 03:08 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
Qunintis i ment hard 2 play as
posted 14 November 2003 04:41 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
yes I had trouble with this before because I went for gods that just really dont fit my playing style. Ive settled down with hades because hes invulnerable in classic until I can get all my troops ready. His toxes FU can own their counters and those shades can win a battle.Why? because not only are you pumping reg units u r getting these ones for free, great deal. He is also great in team games to, with sentinal (use on ally tc) Underworld Pass and artemis (knock out a titaner [cept isis ;-)] ) or in the long run hephasteaus+FU gastra's rule.

\~~~~~---|.:PrtN_Gh0sT:.|---~~~~~/
"Believe you can, Believe you can't...... either way your right"
posted 14 November 2003 05:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
Same with me I just think that people underestimate the "underdog" civilizations. Whatever floats ur boat and for me Gaia does...
posted 14 November 2003 05:10 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
Norse is by far the easiest civ to play, and Egyptian is the hardest. Greek is the 2 hardest and Atlanteans is the second easiest.
posted 14 November 2003 08:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  

Quote:

Norse is by far the easiest civ to play, and Egyptian is the hardest. Greek is the 2 hardest and Atlanteans is the second easiest.

I agree with u there PlatinumKnight. Actually maybe i would switch the 2 easiest, i gues my list would go (from 1=hardest to 4=easiest) :

1.Eggy
2.Greek
3.Norse
4.Attie

posted 14 November 2003 08:35 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
great guide, excellent main point: pick your civ according to playstyle not which one has the prettiest pictures.

couple of humble points to add:

Odin: as mentioned, the "top ten players" is really just salska and he's playing a lot of isis now.

Ra: definitely not underpowered. if it wasn't for isis' ability to go titan easier then ra would be greater than isis. as mentioned, people haven't looked at ra petsuchos and haven't realized that locust swarm has been beefed. once these things are realized, and if titans take longer to build/cost more/etc then ra will be recognized for the powerhouse that he currently is. the thing is that ra can also have UBER rax units, unlike isis. so if he doesn't fast-heroic he can spam rax units and upgrade them to uber status through ptah-sekhmet-horus! plus ra's econ is sweet with multiple priest empowering.

Zeus: the centaur strangle is NOT an easy strat. it requires a great deal of micro, which newbs don't have. though newbs love to play zeus, it takes a LOT of skill to play zeus as well as other cultures. i'd say atlns and norse are newb civs.

Hades: i wouldn't say hades is underrated. flank was showing how to use hades to full potential (and this is ONLY possible because tcs can now be made in classical). but even at full potential, flank is now starting to encounter problems (he posted at paom that people are able to anticipate what he will do and can stop him). hades needs help, don't try to downplay that fact.

Gaia: only underpowered because she doesn't get prometheus. i'd rather see oceanus get a boost than prometheus get a nerf and/or see leto get a non-automation tech. gaia's econ is sweet, but not having prometheus makes her look much weaker when compared to the others. plus you really have to know how to boom efficiently with her. for example, if you don't get all econ techs in archaic and get a 2nd tc immediately after hitting classical then you are not playing her right.

all in all, great post!

fh

posted 14 November 2003 10:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
Thanks and future hermit i definetly think Gaia and Hades need a boost. I was just making the point that success can come if you play an "underdog". And thanks for the point about that top 10 odin guy.
posted 14 November 2003 10:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
hades got his boost. Well prob one of the strongest strats right now besides isis FT is a loki rush. (cept gainst chiero spam) Not only can you sentinal+towupp+tc+toxes ur invulnearable. thats about 9 builds firing+units to. Also there TC starts out with the tech carpenters practically researched (3500 hp). so the point of the rush wont happen easily.Same with kronos. Pestilence is all around good and ares is my favoritest favorites minor god. His Elder cyclops rules late game (having about 3 of them, when they hit armies with bodies it does MASSIVE damage trust me. Also Greeks dock wood cost less now and also hops easier in classical.Late game hades rox i dunno why someone would boost him. I stand up to pos/zeus just fine.

The person we should all be looking at is set, i havent seen his name up for a while. b4 it used to be NERF SET SET SUX I HATE set now not a combination of the letters s-e-t to be heard. . . whats up with him he suc majhor arse

\~~~~~---|.:PrtN_Gh0sT:.|---~~~~~/
"Believe you can, Believe you can't...... either way your right"
posted 14 November 2003 10:52 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
IMO Set should be returned to his original state but heros should get a boost vs. his animals.
posted 15 November 2003 00:30 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
very nice guide. You make me think about more about my best civ. Thor.

ESO name: ChazFang &DeafPride_Fang
Playing against a better player is one of the most effective way to improve...
What matters most is how you see yourself...
"Our fears and doubts are our traitors"-William Shakesphere
The last 3 lines are very true...
The last 4 lines are very true...
posted 15 November 2003 08:43 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
I agree with Chess Bug that the Atlanteans are the easiest civ... but I think it's really harder to play well as the norse than as the Greeks, because you absolutely have to build an econ fast so that you can rush earlier, preventing them from getting off an attack on your weaker buildings... but I would agree with you guys otherwise... Me I like Oranos, Ra, and Hades...

Remember the Romans, 'nuff said
Those who are successful are those who learn to think

[This message has been edited by Astro Tarquin (edited 11-15-2003 @ 08:47 PM).]

posted 15 November 2003 08:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
Just for the record, Zeus starts with 15 favor, not 25.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Guide to Choosing a Civilization
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames