You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to the Lampades
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 31 January 2004 02:55 PM EDT (US)   
A Guide to the Lampades

The winner of last week's poll was the Lampades. I looked forward to testing out these mystical witches, and seeing if they actually are "the best Myth Unit in the game".

Here's their stats:

Cost: 250 Gold, 25 Favour, 5 Pop spaces
HP: 350
Speed: 4.30
Range: 10
Hack armour: 40%
Pierce armour: 50%
Crush damage: 10
Pierce damage: 12

x2 bonus vs MUs

Special Attack: Invokes chaos in an enemy unit, making it enemy to every player in the game.

Specific Upgrades available: Asper Blood - Lampades does damage to units in area when it dies. (see further information on special attack and upgrades later)

So in general, quite expensive, particularly in terms of Pop, but not as expensive as some other Mythic MUs. Reasonable speed, reasonable armour, weak pierce attack and strangely, a crush attack. Special attack seems to be quite powerful, and more intersting than an instant kill.

First of all, let's check it's "regular" attack, without it's Special.

NOTE: All human and hero units used in the tests have Medium upgrades, Heavy upgrades, Champion upgrades, Copper armoury upgrades Bronze armoury upgrades and Iron armoury upgrades. MU' upgrades and other upgardes will be stated.
All attack rates are tested per hit, not second. The Lampades attacks every two seconds, so it's base attack is doubled
Chaos has been invoked on a Pegasus before the Lampades attacks the Hoplite so it does not affect the results.

Test 1: 1 Lampades vs 1 Hoplite (Zeus)

Hoplite stats:
HP: 166
Speed: 4.70
Hack armour: 52%
Pierce armour: 38%
Hack damage: 12

Lampades does 17 damage to Hoplite per hit
Hoplite does 9 damage to Lampades per hit.

Lampades kills Hoplite in 20 seconds with 119 HP left.
(Chaos was used on another Pegasus during the battle as it had recharged)

The Lampades normal attack is not great, not too bad either.

But what about that crush damage? Is it really worth using them against buildings?

1 Lampades does approximately 20 damage to an Egyptian house (with masons and architects upgrades). It takes 1 minute for a Lampades to destroy the house.

Maybe not the best building killer, but not bad when there are more than one Lampades attacking the buildings. Maybe you should stick to Behemoths and Fire Siphons.

Now for the interesting part; Lampades special attack.

There's so much information about it's special attack, I think that it would be easier to understand (and read) in a list of facts and figures.

1. The Lampades special attack recharges every 20 seconds
  2. The Lampades must be within 8 range of the unit to invoke the special attack
  3. When invoked, the special attack tranforms an enemy unit into a chaosed unit; making it an enemy to every player in the game, including you.
  4. When chaosed, a unit will lose all previous upgrades. e.g. a Norse Raiding Cavalry with medium upgrade will become a Norse Raiding Cavalry with no upgrades. This includes MUs, land and water units.
  5. When chaosed, a unit will attack all other units except other chaosed units
  6. MU special attacks are immediately recharged after being chaosed. e.g. if a Chimera invokes it's special attack and is chaosed by a Lampades, the Chimera can invoke it's special attack immediately.

The Lampades special attack does work on:

All human units. Including Jarls and Greek Unique Units.
    All regular Myth Units including Phoenix Eggs
    Some God Power Myth Units - including:
      Carnivora
      Ancestor Minions
      Walking Wood Trees
      Fimbulwinter wolves
    All water units
    All water Myth Units

The Lampades special attack does not work on:

Heroes
    Villagers/Caravans/Fishing Ships
    Seige weapons. e.g seige towers, heliopolis
    Titans
    Niddhogg
    Anubis serpents from the Plague of Serpents GP (strange I know, but true

I was quite impressed to see that the Lampades can use it's special on flying and water units. Shame about the seige. I suppose having seige that was owned by no-one would be a bit strange.

After running many tests, I found that chaosing an enemy Myth Unit is a verypowerful move. Particularly ranged MUs when there are no heroes around.

But my favourite was the Chimera:
A line of of Murmillos+1 Lampades vs a line of Hoplites+Chimera.
The Chimera used it's special, then was chaosed. It then used it's special again, damaging many of the enemy units.

Here are the Myth Units I feel that you should definitely use Lampades on: (not in any real order)

1. Chimera
  2. Battle Boar
  3. Hydra
  4. Frost Giant
  5. Mountain Giant
  6. Stymphalian Bird
  7. Scorpion Man
  8. Cyclops
  9. Collosus
  10. Phoenix
  11. Avenger
  12. Heka-Gigantes

I'd say not to bother trying to chaos a Mummy or Medusae since by the time you have got the Lampades near it, it could have used its special and you'd have lost a very important unit. Also, you run the risk of that unit using it's special on your other units when chaosed.
However, if you are very quick and your opponent is not paying attention, it's a very evil and effective thing to do.
Argi may be better because they are not ranged, but even when chaosed they could kill your Lampades, so be careful.

By the Mythic Age, opponents upgrades should be plentiful. Using the Lampades special on a fully upgraded Jarl for example, would be a good idea; unfortunately, the chaosed Jarl will not have those upgrades, and so will not be as powerful as your opponents. But it will still attack the enemy's units (and yours if you're not careful)

Asper Blood

Asper Blood is Hekate's only Myth Upgrade that affects the Lampades alone. I ran some tests to see how this tech affected them; as I had heard many rumours surrounding whether it works or not.

When a Lampades (with the Asper Blood upgrade) dies, all units within 8 range of it will receive 10-15 damage.

This may not seem a lot, but if the Lampades is surrounded by units with very low HP, it's quite useful.
However, I wouldn't reccommend getting it unless you are playing a long game where you plan to mass Lampades, and already have Myth techs such as Celerity and definitely Rheia's Gift.

This ability is similar to the Scarab and Carcinos, but in this case, you have to spend 200 Wood, 225 Gold and 25 Favour on it, which could have been spent on another Lampades. IMO this tech is not worth it unless you're massing Lampades.

Further notes
The Lampades is defeated by all Mythic MUs one on one except for the Phoenix. However, every unit is chaosed except for for the Mummy and Medusa who use their instant kill before they can be chaosed.

The Lampades does not have 100% accuracy. I make it to be about 90-95% when the units are still.
Lampades cannot hit units above 5.00 speed when moving using her regular attack. However, she can chaos units at that speed when they are moving.

Lampades are affected by:
Medusa Stone Gaze
Perseus Stone Gaze
Mummy's Minion Change
Argus' Toxic Acid
Other Lampades' Chaos - now that is terrying, especially when there are more than 2 of them...

After using it's special, the chaosed unit will attack the unit nearest to it. This means that if your Lampades is the only one around, she's likely to be attacked.

Here's something interesting:
If used on a Roc which contains units, the Roc will become Chaosed, but the units inside will all go to the ground as if they were ungarrisoned

Suggested Usage

Definitely against MUs. Stronger and more expensive the better; there's nothing worse than seeing your Collosus stolen, and then start attacking you.
Micro your Lampades! If you see ranged heroes or Bellerophon, make your Lampades run as fast as she can backwards. Keep her safe. Put her in her hotkey and make sure she only uses her special attack when you want her to, and on the right units. Be careful not to click on the wrong unit. Making a mistake where you invoke chaos on an TA when your opponent has a Fire Giant attacking your buildings could cost you the game.

Conclusion:

I was impressed by the number of units the Lampades can chaos, and in real games this is very useful. When massed, the witch-type nymphs can cause your opponent some serious trouble.
They require a meat-shield, and with their short range, it's important to keep them near the back - in between your melee units and your archers. However, your opponent is likely to want to kill your lamp ladies, and so they will become meatshields.
A surprise attack by a Lampades while your opponent is not really paying attention is best.

Against Greece: Probably the best Culture to use Lampades against out of the 4. Hydrae, Chimerae and Nemean Lions are probably your best units to chaos. Just watch out for ranged heroes, Bellerophon and Perseus.
Against Egypt: Probably best not to mass them against Egyptians. Priests will take care of them too easily. Maybe against Phoenixes, Avengers and Scorpion Men though.
Against Norse: With no ranged heroes (like most ranged myth units) Lampades do well against Norse. Use them to Chaos Battle Boars, Frost Giants and Fire Giants.
Against Alantis: Like most MUs, it really depends on how the Atlantean player's economy is - if they can afford heroes, then it's not so wise. If they can't, use them against Heka-Gigantes, Stymphalian Birds and Argi.

Well I was impressed with the Lampades. Not all players will be able to use them though, because of the amount of micro needed to use them correctly. Practice with them in editor battles and you'll soon learn how powerful (and annoying) they can be.

However, I wouldn't call them the "best" MU in the game, but defintely the 2nd or 3rd. Mummies are still number 1!

Here's how to use Lampades in 3 words:

HOTKEYS --> CONCENTRATION --> MICRO

Thanks for reading guys, please vote for the MU guide I should do next week from the following MUs

Promethean
    Caladria
    Servant
    Carnivora
    Automaton
    Nereid
    Behemoth
    Dryad
    Argus
    Heka-Gigantes
    Man-O-War

EDIT: Chaos is permanent. Unlike the lifespan of minions, or the breath of the Frost Giant, The Lampades' special attack makes a unit chaosed until it is killed by enemy units.

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 01-31-2004 @ 08:00 PM).]

Replies:
posted 31 January 2004 03:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 75  
Nothing new in this case, they're just as I expected. I vote Dryad, again.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 31 January 2004 03:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 75  
Nice guide again ArtemisChimera I vote for Hekagigantes.

PS: I'm sorry I dropped out of the game My net conn. sux. How did it end?

posted 31 January 2004 03:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 75  
^^ LOL, one of the other guys dropped then we went OoS

Rating - 1662

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 31 January 2004 03:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 75  
Nice stuff, as usual. Do you know how long the chaos works? Or does it last as long as the unit lives?
I vote Promethean, because it's one of the most used myth units in game, and I'd like to see how they do now they're slightly nerfed.

Who doesn't fear the presence of water? But who doesn't fear the absence of water...
Water_Wizard --> water_wizard@hotmail.com
Current Project: Becoming the Number 1
posted 31 January 2004 03:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 75  
Didnt know about the loss of upgrades on chaosed units.. thats interesting. Also the bit about the ROC , if a player pays close attention you could very well stall a seige attack on its way to your base, I like it Nice work again! Looking forward to the next, I vote for Heka-Gigantes ( it'll be interesting to see the power of this unit , especially since its boost from the patch)

Thanks again for the info.

posted 31 January 2004 03:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 75  
Um yes do hydra and scylla lose their heads when chaosed?

A paltry man that is of poor mind is he who mocks all things.
posted 31 January 2004 03:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 75  
OMG.I never know lampades has crush damage!
Good guide
posted 31 January 2004 03:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 75  
good guide i say hekagigantis for the next guide

btw how long does it take u to write these guides

Proud Member of the EcLiPsE Clan

EcLiPsE_SkuLL

posted 31 January 2004 04:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 75  
Nice! Now I know what chaos is my vote goes to a...titan!

Bleh!

Weird people call for weird signatures.
posted 31 January 2004 04:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 75  
VOTING FOR SERVANT

peace and love.

age of myth have turned inte age of isis. sad but true

posted 31 January 2004 04:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 75  
Thanks guys

Promethean - 1
Caladria -
Servant - 1
Carnivora -
Automaton -
Nereid -
Behemoth -
Dryad - 1
Argus -
Heka-Gigantes - 3
Man-O-War -

Quote:

Do you know how long the chaos works? Or does it last as long as the unit lives?

Forgot to mention that, lol. Have added it in

Quote:

Um yes do hydra and scylla lose their heads when chaosed?

Good question. Yes they do.

Quote:

btw how long does it take u to write these guides

This one took about 1 and a half hours to do the tests, then an hour to write it up. I got distracted by the forum party during writing it though Usually they take about 2 hours altogether, this one took longer because Lampades are quite complicated units.

Quote:

my vote goes to a...titan!

Bah, I refuse to do a Titan guide for the simple reason that I don't like them.

Rating - 1662

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 01-31-2004 @ 04:29 PM).]

posted 31 January 2004 04:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 75  
Really nice. These are really great guides to myth units. I want to see many more. I vote Heka-Gigantes

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
posted 31 January 2004 05:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 75  
ArtemisChimera,

Nice work and thanks!

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
posted 31 January 2004 05:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 75  
Awsome!! nice job ummm i vote for Nereids! ya go nereids!!
Lets do all the nymphs!

~Skele10~
posted 31 January 2004 06:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 75  
Great guide, I was really wondering about the roc thing, though it better to just kill roc because then all the units die. I vote behemoth.
posted 31 January 2004 06:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 75  
great guide, jsut like the others
lampades does crush?!?! well, i did see a couple of lampades taking out a market in a rec but i never paided attention to something like that.
i vote hega-gigantes.

Sane and the Second Army's Coming
- An Upcoming AoE3 Scenario
- 1% Complete

[This message has been edited by Shrapnel (edited 01-31-2004 @ 06:21 PM).]

posted 31 January 2004 07:08 PM EDT (US)     17 / 75  
ArtemisChimera,
Yet agian another well written guide! This question may sound dumb but if you chaosed a Roc while it was crossing a body of water would the units garrisoned inside disappear or go to the nearest land mass?
I vote for Heka-Gigantes.

ESO name: WND_WiseWizard
Proud to be a Wanderer
Check out our clan at our AoM: TT home page.
posted 31 January 2004 07:13 PM EDT (US)     18 / 75  
Heka-G
posted 31 January 2004 07:40 PM EDT (US)     19 / 75  

Quoted from ArtemisChimera:

Here's something interesting:
If used on a Roc which contains units, the Roc will become Chaosed, but the units inside will all go to the ground as if they were ungarrisoned

So, what would happen if you do the Chaos special on a Leviatan carryng some enemy units?

Good guide.

Vote: Nereid. I belive they can defeat all naval MU´s 1vs1, their special attack makes a LOT of damage (+50%), but would like to see a deeper guide.

Play my Scenarios:
GraveBlood

NeoMutation 2
NeoMutation
Myr_Enforcerer----------------------------------------------1800 (Greek)
dw_wb------------------------------------------------------17xx (Smurf)

[This message has been edited by PhoenixBird (edited 01-31-2004 @ 07:41 PM).]

posted 31 January 2004 07:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 75  

Quote:

Put her in her hotkey and make sure she only uses her special attack when you want her to, and on the right units.

I've been playing this game and the original for a long time, but I have to ask an extremely noobish question: How can you control when your myth units use their special attack?

posted 31 January 2004 07:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 75  
Thanks again everybody

Promethean - 1
Caladria -
Servant - 1
Carnivora -
Automaton -
Nereid - 2
Behemoth - 1
Dryad - 1
Argus -
Heka-Gigantes - 7
Man-O-War -

Quote:

This question may sound dumb but if you chaosed a Roc while it was crossing a body of water would the units garrisoned inside disappear or go to the nearest land mass?

Not a dumb question at all. In fact when there is no land below the Roc, the units inside will not go to the nearest land mass when the Roc is chaosed. That player will just lose whatever units were inside, as if it was killed.

Quote:

So, what would happen if you do the Chaos special on a Leviatan carryng some enemy units

Unlike the Roc, the units inside are lost when the Leviathan is chaosed. I guess units cannot come back if their transport is over water.

EDIT:

Quote:

I've been playing this game and the original for a long time, but I have to ask an extremely noobish question: How can you control when your myth units use their special attack?

The bar below the unit's health is its special attack. When it is orange, it means it is ready to use its special attack. When used, it will recharge until the next time you can use it. For the Lampades, the recharge time is 20 seconds.

This means that she can use that special attack every 20 seconds. To control when she uses it, you just have to wait until the bar is fully recharged, then right click on the unit you want it to use it on.

Rating - 1662

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 01-31-2004 @ 07:52 PM).]

posted 31 January 2004 08:19 PM EDT (US)     22 / 75  
Nice guide as usual Though I've never seen anyone try to go mass lampades :\

I wouldn't mind a guide to or at least a comparison between the Greek UU's.... but since your not doing them Heka - G is the mu to do.

posted 31 January 2004 10:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 75  
I would like to see something on the man-o-war. I have never seen this used but I have a feeling it might slaughter land units that are near to the coast.
posted 31 January 2004 10:45 PM EDT (US)     24 / 75  
heka g. the most ownage myth unit. definitely my fav mu.
posted 31 January 2004 10:47 PM EDT (US)     25 / 75  
I vote for Heka-Gigantes.

I think that Hekate, in addition to the Lampades, is a very strong minor god choice.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to the Lampades
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames