You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to the Heka-Gigantes
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 07 February 2004 03:43 PM EDT (US)   
A Guide to the Heka-Gigantes

This week's winner was the Heka-Gigantes. And with their +150 HP boost from the patch it was no real surprise.
They may not be the most attractive myth unit in the game, but just how good are they?

Here's their stats:

Cost: 300 Gold, 25 Favour, 5 Pop spaces
HP: 850
Speed: 3.30
Hack armour: 44%
Pierce armour: 44%
Crush damage: 30
Hack damage: 25

Special attack: Pounds ground which sends units flying, causing additional damage. (see further information on special attack later)

No specific upgrades available.

So in general, quite a tough unit. Slow with low armour and a high cost, but nice HP and damage.

For a basic test to see how good the unit is, I start with a battle vs a Hoplite.

NOTE: All human and hero units used in the tests have Medium upgrades, Heavy upgrades, Champion upgrades, Copper armoury upgrades Bronze armoury upgrades and Iron armoury upgrades. All buildings have the Masons and Architects upgrades. MU upgrades and other upgrades will be stated.
All attack rates are tested per hit, not second. This is fine as the Heka-Gigantes attacks every second.
The Heka-Gigantes special attack has been invoked on a greek villager behind the Heka-Gigantes each time so it does not affect the results of the battle.

Test 1: 1 Heka-Gigantes vs 1 Hoplite (Zeus)

Hoplite stats:
HP: 166
Speed: 4.70
Hack armour: 52%
Pierce armour: 38%
Hack damage: 12

Heka-Gigantes does approximately 28 damage to Hoplite per hit
Hoplite does approximately 9 damage to Heka-Gigantes per hit

Heka-Gigantes kills Hoplite in 6 seconds with 804HP left.

Interestingly, the Heka-Gigantes does more than its base hack attack to the Hoplite each hit. Even with the crush attack, the attack is very high, especially considering the Hoplit's high armour.

From what I could see, it looks the Heka-G attacks twice per hit, because as the Hoplite's HP goes down, it jerks suddenly. Normally, when attacked, the HP would just drop in one go.

From this, I have come to the following conclusion:

The Heka-Gigantes attacks units with 2 of its arms each hit. Therefore, its base attack is doubled

This makes it an extremely powerful unit. 50 Hack damage and 60 Crush damage is a hell of a lot!
Because the Heka-Gigantes has 4 arms, it means each arm does 25 Hack Damage, and 30 Crush Damage, making it one of the strongest MUs in the game.

It even manages to beat 5 Hoplites, although only just with 9 HP left.

But with all that crush attack, how do they do against buildings?

Test 2: 1 Heka-Gigantes vs 1 House (Thor)

House stats:
HP: 495
Crush armour: 14%
Hack armour: 30%
Pierce armour: 95%

Heka-Gigantes does 96 damage to house per hit

Heka-Gigantes destroys house in 5 seconds.

Very impressive, 5 seconds is no time at all, and even with 2 building improvements the house falls extremely quickly.

But how about bigger buildings?

Test 3: 3 Heka-Gigantes vs 1 Palace (Kronos)

Palace stats:
HP: 2600
Crush armour: 14%
Hack armour: 30%
Pierce armour: 95%
Pierce damage: 12
Range: 20

Palace is destroyed in 10 seconds.

I was amazed at the speed in which the Heka-G's took down the Palace. Taking this experiment further, I wanted to check if they really were the "best seige myth unit". Are they better then Scarabs and Behemoths, units directly for seige?

NOTE: All of these MUs cost 5 pop spaces, total of 15 pop spaces are used.

3 Heka-Gigantes destroy Palace in 10 seconds
3 Scarabs destroy Palace in 11 seconds
3 Behemoths destroy Palace in 11 seconds
3 Collosi destroy Palace in 15 seconds
3 Mountain Giants destroy Palace in 16 seconds

It's official, the Heka-Gigantes is the best seige MU in the game. Not only does it demolish buildings faster than Behemoths and Scarabs, but it has the ability to fling units who try to attack it away with its special attack.

Following this I wanted to see if the Heka-G's are the best seige unit over all in the game.

The Heka-Gigantes destroy the palace faster than:
5 unupgraded Catapults
5 unupgraded Seige towers
3 fully upgraded Heliopoli
5 unupgraded Portable Rams
5 fully upgraded Petroboli
5 fully upgraded Destroyers
3 fully upgraded Fire Siphons

The only non-myth units that destroy the Palace faster than the Heka-Gigantes are Sekhmet's Catapults and Seige Towers and Baldr's Portable Rams with all available upgrades.

Very intersting indeed. This makes me wonder why people whould choose Rheia for her Behemoths when they could go Helios and get Heka-Gigantes+Strong Fire Siphons. Heka-Gigantes seem to be the perfect Myth Units for Kronos, because they are cheaper, and since he gets cheaper seige as well, Helios seems a very wise choice if you're against a building spammer.

Anyway, now for the fun bit: The special attack. This is what I have found out through many tests:

1. The Heka-Gigantes' special attack sends units around it flying, causing them damage by pounding the ground with all 4 of its arms.
  2. When the Heka-Gigantes uses its special attack, units are flung back approximately 10 meters (range) from where they are standing.
  3. The special attack can only affect up to 30 units at a time
  4. Units within 30 metres in front of the Heka-Gigantes and up to 10 metres to the side may be flung backwards
  5. Your own and allied units are not affected by the special attack
  6. Small hills are formed once the special attack has taked place. They are permanent until built on but cause no real problems.
  7. The special attack can do from 5-50 damage to a unit depending on what it is (i.e, it is lower against heroes)
  8. If used near water, units will not be flung into the water, but will land on the edge of the land.
  9. Unlike the Shockwave God Power, the Heka-Gigantes' special attack does not stun units after being flung in the air.

The Heka-Gigantes' special attack works on:

All human units(indluding Jarls and War Elephants)
All Greek Heroes (including Bellerophon, Perseus and Polyphemus)
All villagers
Hersir
Priests
Pharoahs (including Son of Osiris)
Atlantean Heroes
Destroyers
Minotaurs
Cyclopses
Anubites
Mummies
Scorpion Men
Einherjar

The Heka-Gigantes' special attack does not work on:

Seige weapons
Water units
Flying units
All other Myth Units apart from those mentioned before

Being able to fling heroes backwards is very useful, and the Heka-Gigantes special attack is one of the most useful in the game. Microing the Heka-Gigantes to use it's special on the right units can have devastating effects for your opponent.

Further notes

The Heka-Gigantes defeats all human units one on one, including Jarls and Atlantean Heroes. They can defeat Mythic Priests and Hersir, but lose to Mythic Pharoahs and all Greek Heroes.

The Heka-Gigantes wins one on one against the following Mythic MUs:
Collosus
Fire Giant
Lampades
Fenris Wolf
Mountain Giant

The Heka-Gigantes loses one on one to the following Mythic MUs:
Avenger
Phoenix
Mummy
Chimera
Argus
Frost Giant
Medusa

Heka-Gigantes are affected by:
Medusa Stone Gaze
Perseus Stone Gaze
Mummy's Minion Change
Argus' Toxic Acid
Lampades' Chaos

Suggested Usage

The Heka-Gigantes is a very powerful unit, and almost certainly worth its high cost. Use it as seige, a meat shield, support for your army or even for it's special attack alone. Heck the only thing it can't realy do is raiding - but since its special works on villagers it might be fun to try

Conclusion

The only real "brute" myth unit the Atlanteans get, the Heka-Gigantes is a very impressive and powerful unit. When used right, they can cause a hell of a lot of damage to units and buildings alike.

Its only real cons are it's very slow speed, and very poor armour, making it easy for ranged units to get at it. Although expensive, they are well worth it. Just make sure you're not spending that amount of gold on a unit that will be taken down by the 10+ priests or the Perseus just out of your LOS. Keep them away from heroes and heal them with Caladria or borrow an allie's Healing Spring or Priest.

Against Greece: Be careful of Greece's powerful archers and heroes. Use them against infantry, cavalry and most importantly: buildings.
Against Egypt: Probably best not to rely on them too heavily against the Egyptians. Priests and CAs will be able to take them down easily due to the weak armour.
Against Norse: Again, another Myth Unit that thrives against the Norse. Use the special attacks on Jarls and Hersir and take down those weak buildings.
Against Alantis: Like the Norse, Atlanteans have a bit of trouble against MUs, particularly without Valor. Use Heka-Gigantes to fling out any heroes they throw at you, but watch out for Argi and Lampades.

Compared to the Colossus, the Heka-Gigantes wins on all levels apart from the HP. The Heka-Gigantes is certainly up there with the best Myth Units, and I hope to see lots more of them. They may be ugly, but they sure are powerful. I know lots of people like that

Thanks for reading guys, please vote for the MU guide I should do next week from the following MUs

Promethean
    Caladria
    Servant
    Carnivora
    Automaton
    Nereid
    Behemoth
    Dryad
    Argus
    Man-O-War

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 02-14-2004 @ 11:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07 February 2004 03:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 126  
Very good job, I will now use them more often. Though they do disturb the enemy when they are in the right position for me. How about the autamaton now??
Whey first post.

Ex member of the good clan VnX
Ex member of the better clan PW
Applicant member for Orion
posted 07 February 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 126  
Wow that was a good guide. First one of yours that I have read in its entirety (sp?) also. I've read parts of some but not the whole thing. Congrats on putting that all together.

I vote for the promethean.

A dead enemy always smells good- Alus Vitellus.

Eat a vegetarian, save lettuce!

posted 07 February 2004 04:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 126  
Another great guide. You forgot to mention that hekagigantes are also awsome for 1 more reason, for pushing units away from your seige(or simple arcus). And since seige is noobified(everything kills it uber fast), this ability is really important. And this makes them totally uber against titan gates. Vortex+hekagigants+fire siphons. Hekagigantes push villagers away from the gate(so villagers stop building), hekagigantes push villagers away from seige and hekagigants also own buildings.

Also are you sure that they do 50 hack damage and 60 crush damage per sec(and per hit since you said that they attack every 1 sec)? That seems awfully lot. What impressed me the most is how fast they kill buildings(which proves that they actually do that high dmg).

Also hoplites arent affected by crush dmg since they have 99% crush armor(they take 1dmg).

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

[This message has been edited by NIB (edited 02-07-2004 @ 04:18 PM).]

posted 07 February 2004 04:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 126  
i vote for automaton
posted 07 February 2004 04:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 126  

Quote:

Also are you sure that they do 50 hack damage and 60 crush damage per sec(and per hit since you said that they attack every 1 sec)? That seems awfully lot.

I did loads of complicated maths and things, and after loads of tests that's what I came up with. Since the maths is right, and seeing what happens to units HP after being attacked, I'm pretty sure that it has 25 Hack and 30 crush in each arm.

Rating - 1662

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 07 February 2004 04:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 126  
yep these guides are great, something of the best around here. Will u do all myths or just certain civs?
Always knew those Heka was pretty good, but not that good, didnt they get a 200 hitpoints boost last patch?
posted 07 February 2004 04:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 126  
Very good Artemischimera. Do u go on ESO anymore?

I never realized the little hills.
Does standing on higher elevation increase units attacks like in AOE?
If it does then create a hill wit ur hekas and get an arcus on it.

GJ

i vote automaton

ESO:core4score, Lg_CORE
RATING IN TT: 1700+
Member of Legend Clan

posted 07 February 2004 05:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 126  
just jizzed all over my comp because of this guide..
posted 07 February 2004 05:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 126  
can we vote? i want automaton
posted 07 February 2004 05:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 126  
yay NIB, someone else who agrees that seige is too weak

Great guide, especially interesting to see what the special affects and doesn't affect. I vote dryad

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 07 February 2004 06:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 126  
Awesome Guide! Man, I am definetely using Hekas whenever I use Atlantean in Deathmatch. They're much better than i thought!

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 07 February 2004 06:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 126  
These guides are really nice work ArtemisChimera. I know the tremendous work that goes into making them so hats off to you mate!

The only comment I may humbly make is to perhaps add a few more pictures. If you need/want help or advise on this matter, email me at tbarak@sprint.ca.

posted 07 February 2004 06:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 126  
I knew they were good, but i didnt realise they kileld buildings that fast and I certainly would not of expected them to kill a collosus. Surely they die miserably to gold colossi though?

As for last wekk I vote for the Man O War. I have had a chance to use these now. You will be surprised when you test these, as will anyone facing them who has built things near to the water

posted 07 February 2004 06:31 PM EDT (US)     14 / 126  
Flank's got me curious. I'm voting Man O' War too.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 07 February 2004 06:33 PM EDT (US)     15 / 126  
Great Post.

I vote for the Dryad.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
posted 07 February 2004 06:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 126  
They may get a bonus on MU Flank, something that Collusus no longer get. If you look at the ones they lose to the only ones without a gimmick for killing them are the Avenger and the Chimera.

Not sure about the Chimera but the Avenger has great armor and does get a bonus on other MU.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
posted 07 February 2004 06:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 126  
Dryad please
posted 07 February 2004 07:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 126  
Flank I just tested it.

The Heka-Gigantis beats a Silver Collosus, it does lose to a Gold Collosus (197 HP left, the extra 200 HP and more importantly +20% hack armor makes the difference).

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
posted 07 February 2004 07:12 PM EDT (US)     19 / 126  
Awesome guide, I've read everyone of them, they rule! I vote for the good old Automaton. They remind me of marching in some big Knight Army when you have a bunch of them. and 15 plus can be pretty hard to kill completely, without them healing each other or bringing each other back to life.
posted 07 February 2004 07:13 PM EDT (US)     20 / 126  
Also for the DM players the Heka still loses to the Loki FG.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
posted 07 February 2004 07:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 126  
Another awesome guide. Nereid, please.
posted 07 February 2004 07:20 PM EDT (US)     22 / 126  
:\ This guy looks amazing... though his armour is slightly wierd, I always find he dies quite easily.... Never seen him vs buildings though?

Man-Of-War sounds good next ^^.

posted 07 February 2004 07:44 PM EDT (US)     23 / 126  
Thanks for the support guys

Here are the results so far:

Promethean - 1
Caladria -
Servant -
Carnivora -
Automaton - 5
Nereid - 1
Behemoth -
Dryad - 3
Argus -
Man-O-War - 3

It's quite close so far. I'd be interested to see who wins this week.

Quote:

Will u do all myths or just certain civs?

People have done guides on Centaurs, Manticores and units from Greek an Norse civs before. Maybe I'll do some once I've finished the Atlanteans and Egyptians.

Quote:

didnt they get a 200 hitpoints boost last patch?

It was 150, but it really does make a big difference. Without the extra HP they'd probably lose against more units.

Quote:

Do u go on ESO anymore?

Lol, of course. Whenever I can.

Quote:

Does standing on higher elevation increase units attacks like in AOE?

Nope, no difference at all. They're purely there for...nothing really.

Quote:

just jizzed all over my comp because of this guide..

Way too much information. But glad you liked it.

Quote:

The only comment I may humbly make is to perhaps add a few more pictures. If you need/want help or advise on this matter, email me at tbarak@sprint.ca.

More pictures would great. I have no idea how to get them on here though. Might send you a mail tommorow

Rating - 1662

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 02-07-2004 @ 07:45 PM).]

posted 07 February 2004 07:50 PM EDT (US)     24 / 126  
Man-O-War

Good guide, Heka is an amazing myth unit cuz of it's special attack in-game, but this guide proves that it's also quite a good siege weapons and a decent hand-to-hand fighter.

posted 07 February 2004 08:22 PM EDT (US)     25 / 126  
i vote for dryad

He who knows he has enough is rich.
Perseverance is a sign of willpower.
He who stays where he is endures.
To die but not to perish is to be eternally present.

Dao De Jing - Chapter 33

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to the Heka-Gigantes
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames