You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to hotkeys
posted 09 February 2004 04:15 PM EDT (US)   
Some time ago I got beaten in rated and after the game we had a short conversation. I think he was about 1850. When I asked him about his hotkeys he said he didn’t use any. I was surprised because I played a good game and still lost against someone who didn’t use hotkeys. Can you get so high without hotkeys? I don’t know, but assuming he wasn’t lying I told him he would have been 1950 if he did use hotkeys. If you have not noticed, the point is quite simple: use hotkeys.

Chichiri wrote an article on custom hotkeys in the early days of AoM. His settings are better than the default hotkeys for 2 reasons. They are very easy to remember because the hotkeys are assigned systematically. His hotkeys are also easy to access because he uses the left hand side of the keyboard, unlike the default hotkeys which are all over the keyboard. My old hotkeys were much like Chichiri’s hotkeys, but I was looking for a way to make them even more comfortable. I succeeded, at least in my case, as hotkeys are said to be very personal. However, the only way to achieve this was by paying a price: my new hotkeys, though very comfortable, were not so easy to remember. In other words, it takes some time before you master them, but once you do they’ll be very comfortable. Again, there’s no such thing as the “best” hotkeys because it’s different for everyone, but maybe I can inspire you.

In AoM there are many hotkeys that are often used together. Examples are: Find Town Center and Create Villager, Find Longhouse and Create RC, etc. It’s obvious you’ll want these hotkeys close for each other. Most people are aware of this. However, there’s also another thing of which few people are aware. The best way to explain this is by showing you some pictures:

In the first picture the keys R and G are encircled. Notice how you can easily reach both keys at the same time with your left hand. You don’t need to make strange moves with your fingers to reach them. This is not the case for every key combination. In the second picture the keys T and F are encircled. As you can see they’re not so easy to reach at the same time with your left hand. Of course it’s possible, but you’ll have to move your fingers in a less pleasant way. It’s clear the combination R and G is better than the combination T and F, but does it really matter that much? Well, first of all, comfortable hotkeys have a positive effect on your speed, if only it’s just a small effect. Secondly, less comfortable hotkeys are not very stimulating to use. Why? Because laziness is a habit all humans have in common, some people more than than others. Unconsciencely you may avoid using hotkeys that are not very pleasant to use. This effect occurs without noticing it so it’s easy to underestimate this.

If you haven’t thought about this, would it be a reason to change your hotkeys? For me it was, but I don’t think think many people are willing to learn new hotkeys if they’re used to their current settings. For those who want to take it into consideration I will describe my own settings because you will come along some difficulties.

Just like Chichiri’s hotkeys you don’t want them to be spread all over your keyboard. It’s better to put them as much as possible on the left side of your keyboard. You’ll now see it’s a real puzzle to find suitable settings if you also want to take into account the concept I just described. A good way to solve it is by assigning the Find Building hotkeys to the keys W, S, X, R, F, V. Take a look at where these keys are situated on your keyboard. We can now assign the keys around them to the Create Unit hotkeys. These are the keys Q, A, Z, E, D, C, T, G, B. Again, take a look at where these are situated on your keyboard. Note that you can use these keys for several tasks as long as they’re from different buildings. For example you can use Q for both Create Villager and Create RC because they’re not created from the same building.

Now, let’s see how we can assign them exactly. Let’s assign Find Town Center to W. Using Norse as an example we have to assign the Create Gatherer, Create Dwarf, Create Ox Cart and Create Ulfsark hotkeys. Which keys are comfortable to combine with W? Q, E and D are for sure. A and Z are very uncomfortable and the others are a bit far away. So let’s assign Q to Create Gatherer, E to Create Dwarf and D to create Ox Cart. Create Ulfsark is left, let’s assign that one to C as you won’t be using this one as much as the others.

The other buildings are done in a similar way. Here’s a short summary:

Find building key S is comfortable with the Create Unit keys Q, A, D and C.
Find building key X is comfortable with the Create Unit keys A, Z and C.
Find building key R is comfortable with the Create Unit keys E, T, and G.
Find building key F is comfortable with the Create Unit keys E, D, G and B.
Find building key V is comfortable with the Create Unit keys D, C, and B.

6 Find building keys have been listed in total. I use them for the TC, academy/barracks/longhouse, stable/counterbarracks, archery range, fortress/migdol/hillfort/palace and dock. For the temple I use autoqueu so it has a lower priority than the other buildings, but that’s just my choice.

Finally you’ll need to assign the Build Building Hotkeys. For them you can use the same keys as for the Create Unit keys. For example, if Find TC is W you can use the key to the left (Q) for Build TC. I don’t recommend using Ctrl+key because it’s a lot slower than simply using one key to build a building.

I’m not going to discuss the other hotkeys. It’s obvious you assign important hotkeys (e.g. idle vills, idle military) to keys such as Tab, Space bar and Mouse 3. By the way, it’s a pity the middle mouse button can only be used for one task. In AoK both Wheel up and Wheel down could be used for different tasks. I wish ES could bring that back.

Well that’s about it. Comments, suggestions and questions are welcome

NS_Cymophane

Links:
http://aom.heavengames.com/strategy/articles/19 (Chichiri’s hotkey guide)
http://www.mrfixitonline.com/usercon_hotkeys.asp (Article on advanced custom hotkeys with user.con by MiCroSlave)

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
Replies:
posted 09 February 2004 04:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
excellent work, buddy.
posted 09 February 2004 09:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
Nice guide. If you want to make mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down do something different, I think you can change what they do in Windows to make them equivalent to pressing some key. It may depend on the type of mouse you have though, and it probably won't work nicely with other programs.

More useful is to get a mouse with more buttons. Mine has left and right buttons, a mouse wheel, and also two buttons on the side where the thumb goes which I've mapped to [H] and [.]. Thus it's very easy to press things like H shift V because I use both hands. If I had even more buttons, I would be able to add other functions.

Finally, for the buildings that create units, I find it much easier to just use control groups instead of find-one-building keys. For example I set 1 to all my Longhouses and 2 to all my Hill Forts, then I can just press 1 A to order Ulfsarks, 1 S to order TA's, etc. Whenever I make new barrackses I just double click them and press Shift-1 to add them to group 1, and same for Hill Forts.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 09 February 2004 11:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
very nice guide

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 10 February 2004 01:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
Exellent Guide.

Nice work NS .

Rating: 1750

Check out my Bellerophon Guide and my Myrmidon Guide

Member of the TpC_ Clan
posted 10 February 2004 07:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
Thanks for the nice comments

Quote:

Finally, for the buildings that create units, I find it much easier to just use control groups instead of find-one-building keys. For example I set 1 to all my Longhouses and 2 to all my Hill Forts, then I can just press 1 A to order Ulfsarks, 1 S to order TA's, etc. Whenever I make new barrackses I just double click them and press Shift-1 to add them to group 1, and same for Hill Forts.

The method you described is a lot faster, but it doesn't garantee that all units to be created are spread evenly among the barrackses. You might end up with 3 units in one barracks while another barracks is idle. I don´t know what's the best method though.

I´ll consider buying a new mouse with some more buttons

Member of NoFx
posted 12 February 2004 08:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
bump

Member of NoFx
posted 12 February 2004 09:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
Also I'm learning Odin from Deano now, I set "J" to be "find scout", then I can cycle ravens by going J J.. good for middle of the game when you have no idea where your ravens are
posted 12 February 2004 03:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
Find scout is a very useful key for odin indeed. I put it on the middle mouse button.

Member of NoFx
posted 13 February 2004 03:58 AM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
Very cool. I dont use hotkeys too often either... only in the beginnning. Good guide
posted 13 February 2004 04:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
I find it hard to believe anyone can get to 18+ without hotkeys. The time and effort savings are way too good to be ignored. Nice work on the guide, I am sure many people starting out will be saved a lot of frustration.
posted 13 February 2004 05:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
Somewhat helpful, but I have the mouse on the left hand side of the keyboard. (I use it with my left hand, yet its configured for the right..)

I use the find TC for the middle mouse button. Pretty nice when you are trying to make vills quick.

The very irregular poster...
posted 31 March 2004 08:57 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
Hey first and foremost i like your set up, But my set up is slightly different(still a newbie). I learned to type in school even though i never paid attention to the teacher go figure. My set up is as followed

starting with g,f,d,s,a are assigned to find subsequent building temple,mil barracks,counter barracks,palace, and docks. the keys directly below b,v,c,x,z, are the build keys. And t,r,e,w,q are the build keys for each of the units for each builind. for example if i need to find my militay barracks i press "f" and if i want to build another military barracks i press "v". and to create and army of lets say murillo i'd press "r" for muti units i use the U,J,and M keys so with that i never have to use my right hand on the key board and i don't have to press any two button combo's for anything else. So if you know how to type properly this will very easy and efficent way to map your keys.

posted 31 March 2004 12:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
Is there any to find your scout as loki or thor? I guess you could just use idle military banner or hotkey, but that would only work if the ulasark stopped moving. I've been wondering about that for a while...
posted 31 March 2004 04:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
best hotkeys with greek
q=archery range
w=stable
e=barracks
r=make main unit
t=make counter unit
g=town center
v=villager
f=fortress

now granted i only just started using hotkeys. i used to use them as norse but then i started goign eggy and coudlnt be bothered to map them out again. now that i use greek i started usign them again

posted 31 March 2004 04:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24  

Quote:

Is there any to find your scout as loki or thor? I guess you could just use idle military banner or hotkey, but that would only work if the ulasark stopped moving. I've been wondering about that for a while...

I always give my ulfsark a number (assign him to a group) so I can easily find him whether he's idle or not.

There's also a Find scout hotkey in the list. It only works for idle scouts though, so i don´t think it´s what you´re looking for but you might want to assign it to a key.

Member of NoFx
posted 31 March 2004 05:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
I have put my hotkeys on unit types...

all anti cavalry units like: hoplite/podromos are assigned to E

all anti infantry units such as toxotes/hyspasist are assisgned to S

all anti archers units like peltasts and hippikons are assigned to R

try putting your fingers on ASR at the same time... feels good for me

AOE3 @ SM4RTASS

Dominating with: The French
HC: Le Moule
Explorer: Ze Chauvenist

[This message has been edited by Psycho_Mani4c (edited 03-31-2004 @ 05:47 PM).]

posted 31 March 2004 10:40 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
does anyone know if u can assign a hotkey to auto-que? that would be really helpful

ESO:CaNnOn_FoDdEr_79

^^I have changed my link, now it finally works

posted 01 April 2004 01:17 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
Yes you can you have to modify the user.con and that 1850 guy you met probably was rated -1700 in vanilla but now that there's auto-queue using hotkeys isn't as important as before since you can just set everything on auto-queue and infact there is no default auto-queue hotkey so you have to click it anyway.

ESO nick: NerVe_Pierce
Proud member of NerVe Clan
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
posted 01 April 2004 10:49 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
To find your scout even if it is not idle assign the following value to your user.con.
map ("Tab", "game", "uiFindType(\"AbstractScout\")")

To hotkey autoque:
map ("`", "game", "uiToggleBuildingQueue")

You can change Tab and ` to your desired key.

There is more information on custom hotkeys on MFO

EDIT: Fixed Link

[This message has been edited by Concrete1 (edited 04-01-2004 @ 10:51 AM).]

posted 01 April 2004 03:33 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
ooh...pretty pictures...

good guide, good guide

me like pictures

must...resist...printing...pretty...pictures...

Honk is a strange noise
Monkeys are cool animals.
A honking monkey is a cool animal making a strange noise.
Tune in next week when we dicuss Hoboes and Kapow.
posted 02 April 2004 04:01 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
nice guide
I use some crappy hotkeys that r somewhere in the
middle of the keyboard but ive gotten used to them
so i dont wanna change >_<
posted 02 April 2004 05:03 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
IF you really want to be the king of hotkeys, get "Thrustmaster Tactical Board"! It's a keyboard speccially designed for games. It's supose to be (and I pretty shoure it is) great for RTS/FPS. But it cost some money, so it's not whorth it if you don't have ambitions to be the BEST!

I think FOG.

[This message has been edited by Villi (edited 04-02-2004 @ 06:00 PM).]

posted 05 April 2004 03:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
my mouse (lol) got 5 keys,and one of them is set to work as a ctrl_key.works good for me since I got big clumsy fingers.

peace and love.

age of myth have turned inte age of isis. sad but true

[This message has been edited by the mouse (edited 04-05-2004 @ 04:00 PM).]

posted 05 April 2004 04:42 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24  

Quoted from "the mouse":

my mouse (lol) got 5 keys,and one of them is set to work as a ctrl_key

Dude, how did you do that? I've been trying to find a way to do that!! I've got a MicroSoft 5 button cordless mouse. Looking through the supproting software, it's got all kinds of functions, but nothing I could find for ctrl.

[This message has been edited by jereth2 (edited 04-05-2004 @ 04:46 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Guide to hotkeys
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames