You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to the Man O'War
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 14 February 2004 01:24 PM EDT (US)   
A Guide to the Man O'War

Following the surprising results of the Heka-Gigantes, the winner this week was the Man O'War. This being my first water myth unit guide (and after hearing conflicting reviews of the Man O'Wars), I was excited to see how well they really do

Can this lightning-attacking jellyfish compare anywhere near to the Heka-Gigantes? Does Helios have two of the most powerful land and water myth units in Age of Mythology:The Titans?

Let's look at their stats:

Cost: 300 Food, 25 Favour, 5 Pop spaces
HP: 900
Speed: 6.00
Range: 8
Crush Armour: 80%
Hack armour: 50%
Pierce Armour: 69%
Hack damage: 25

Special attack: None
Special ability: Chain lightning attack (see further information on special ability later)
No specific upgrades available

In general, very expensive (same price as Kraken), high HP with reasonable armour, reasonable attack and very short range.

Normally for land units, I do a test with the MU vs a Zeus Hoplite. For water myth units, I'm going to use a Zeus Trireme.

NOTE: All normal water units have been upgraded with Copper, Bronze and Iron armoury upgrades, and line upgrades (i.e. Naval Oxybeles). All land units have Copper, Bronze and Iron armoury upgrades and Medium, Heavy and Champion line upgrades. All buildings have been upgraded with the Masons and Architects upgrades. Any other upgrades will be stated
All attack rates are tested per hit, not per second. The Man O'War attacks approximately every 3 seconds, so it's base attack is tripled per hit.

Test 1: 1 Man O'War vs 1 Trireme {Zeus)

Trireme stats:
HP: 348
Speed: 6.00
Range: 20
Hack armour: 48%
Pierce armour: 41%
Pierce damage: 8

Man O'War does approximately 12 damage to Trireme per hit
Trireme does approximately 11 damage to Man O'War per hit

Man O'War kills Trireme in 1 minute 24 seconds with 264 HP left.

I was very surprised to see how badly the Man O'War did against a simple arrow ship. In fact, the Trireme did better than the Man O'War because it attacked every second with 2 arrows.
Strangely though, the Man O'War should have a base attack of 8 attack per second if the stats are correct. However, the base attack is 25 per hit, not second. But surely if the stats are correct, than it's base attack should be 75, which it clearly isn't.
This only leads me to believe that ES have made a mistake; either with the stats (in reality, making the Man O'War extremely weak) or with the Man O'War itself, making it a bugged unit.

Maybe the Man O'War's base attack is supposed to be this weak. After all, it does have chain lightning. How well does this jellyfish do against more than one unit at a time?

Test 2: 3 Man O'Wars vs 5 War Barges (Set)

War Barge stats:
HP: 528
Range: 30
Hack armour: 34%
Pierce armour: 63%
Crush damage: 9

The Man O'Wars win with 2 still alive.

I found the result of this test even more interesting than the first. Against multiple units the Man O'Wars thrive; particularly when you can get a good shot to use their chain lightning on more than 2 units at a time.

How about hammer ships?

Test 3: 2 Man O'Wars vs 5 Drakkars (Loki)

Drakkar stats:
HP: 264
Speed: 7.00
Hack armour: 48%
Pierce armour: 38%
Hack damage: 28

Drakkars win with 5 still alive.

Hmmm, not really a surprise because of how well hammer ships do against water myth units, but still quite disappointing because of the Drakkars low HP.
Also, it's much harder to use a chain attack on units once they surround you.

So how exactly does the Chain Lightning attack work? Is it like Son of Osiris' and can it be effective in water battles?

Here's some information on this attack:

1. The chain lightning is not a special attack. It is used every time the Man O'War attacks
  2. The chain lightning attack does the exact same amount of damage to units of the same type with the same attack (e.g. 2 Biremes owned by the same player will receive the same amount of damage when attacked)
  3. The maximum number of units or buildings the chain lightning can affect is 4
  4. It can affect multiple units, multiple buildings and units+buildings in one hit.
  5. The maximum range the chain lightning can reach is about 60-70. However, units and buildings must be within 10 range of the first unit attacked to be affected by the lightning
  6. The lightning is sent in the direction that the Man O'War is facing If there no units/buildings in front of the unit/building that the Man O'War attacks, then the chain lightning will affect the nearest unit.
  7. The chain lightning does work on flying units

Here are some results I found from various tests showing how the chain lightning affects different units and buildings:

8 damage to all fishing ships
11 damage to all transport ships
18 damage to all docks
9 damage to all Greek Villagers, Egyptian Labourers, Norse Gatherers and Dwarves
Interestingly, it does 18 damage to all Atlantean villagers.

Strangely, the Atlantean villagers have more hack armour than the other civs' villagers, and yet they receive more damage....

Further notes

The Man O'War defeats all human water units one on one (only just) Excluding units with Heroic Fleet and The Argo.

The Man O'War wins one on one against the following water MUs:
Servant
Leviathan
And against the Phoenix and Stymphalian Bird

The Man O'War loses one on one against the following water MUs:
Scylla
Carcinos
War Turtle
Kraken
Jormund Elver
Nereid

Man O'Wars are affected by:

Medusa Stone Gaze
Perseus Stone Gaze
Mummy's Minion Change
Argus' Toxic Acid
Lampades' Chaos
Nereid's Shark Attack
Frost Giant's Ice Breath

Suggested Usage:

Not particularly an effective melee fighter if used on its own. Used as backup for a strong naval army is a good idea though. Try sneaking the Man O'War round to use the chain lightning on as many units as possible; best against the ranged ships.
Also, the chain lightning works particularly well against buildings near the water. If the opponent has no defences there, then the jellyfish will certainly manage to do some damage to any barracks sitting by the ocean.

Also they work against any villagers or units by the land trying to build or gathering resources. Zapping them full of lightning makes raiding easier if you manage to get some units in there. Also it will stop builders and gatherers in their tracks; making them stop what they're doing for a brief time. If they decide to start doing what they were doing, then zap them again.
Any buildings or units close to each other are prime targets for the Man O'War to attack. You might even manage to damage a nearby TC through the chain of lightning, which is a very effective way of attacking; as we know from Son of Osiris.

Unfortunately, most water battles are over by Heroic, so seeing Man O'Wars is certainly a rare occurance, and it's rare that you would ever need to use them. Saying that, if you've won the water, then use your free Man O'War to attack buildings near the shore; your opponent will have no response to this except ranged units. Heal your Man O'War with a Servant or Caladria. If you're still being plagued by priests or Odysseus, then move to another spot.

Conclusion

I was very disappointed with the Man O'War's base attack, and how poorly it does against units by itself. However, combined with a fleet of ships, its chain lightning attack can seriously help you win battles. This attack is even more useful against buildings close to the shore which are easy for your Man O'War to attack. With a whole group of them against lots of buildings, then you have an evil and effective way of destroying buildings.

However, because most Water battles are sorted out in Classical and sometimes Heroic, unless you've won the water, Man O'Wars won't really help you out too much.

Against Greece: Watch out for the Ranged Heroes and The Argo, but use them against Siege ships and Buildings
Against Egypt: Priests are the bane in the Man O'Wars tentacles. Watch Man O'Wars when they're attacking buildings. Other than that, use them against weak ships, War Turtles and Leviathans
Against Norse: Man O'Wars are the best against the Norse once you've won the water. They have no real counter to them except for Trolls, Ballistae and their mega-powerful sea myth units.
Against Alantis: Again with Atlantis, it all depends on how well you're opponent is doing. If badly, then use them against fishing ships and buildings. If well, keep Man O'Wars away from Nereids and ranged heroes.

Unfortunately, the Man O'War doesn't seem to be on the same level of power as the Heka-Gigantes. Perhaps if ES fixed their stats (or the actual unit) then they'd do better. Maybe even give them a small increase in range and attack if their stats are correct.
Nevertheless, they're not particularly bad units if you know how to use them effectively. Buildings near the shore, ranged ships and fishing ships are your safest bet. If water battles last a bit longer, perhaps we'll see a few more floating around...

Thanks for reading guys, please vote for the MU guide I should do next week from the following MUs

Promethean
    Caladria/Servant
    Carnivora
    Automaton
    Nereid
    Behemoth
    Dryad
    Argus

EDIT: Removed general stupidness and spelling errors

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 02-14-2004 @ 04:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 14 February 2004 01:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 125  
Gosh darn it I managed to spell the title wrong Any way to change it? Shiva?

Rating - 1662

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 14 February 2004 01:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 125  

Quote:

Heal your Man O'War with a servant or from Mythic Rejuvination and repeat. If you're still being plagued by priests or Odysseus, then move to another spot.

You can't get mythic rejuvination with Helios..

Cicero_
The great numbers in which you are here met this day, O Romans, and this assembly, greater than, it seems to me, I ever remember, inspires me with both an exceeding eagerness to defend the republic and with a great hope of relenquishing it.
-Cicero's Fourth Philippic [106 B.C.-43 B.C.]
posted 14 February 2004 01:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 125  

Quote:

Strangely though, the Man O'War should have a base attack of 8 attack per second if the stats are correct. However, the base attack is 25 per hit, not second. But surely if the stats are correct, than it's base attack should be 75, which it clearly isn't.
This only leads me to believe that ES have made a mistake; either with the stats (in reality, making the Man O'War extremely weak) or with the Man O'War itself, making it a bugged unit.

This is a well known phenomenon with slow firing units. Petsuchos is listed as having a base attack of 55, but it really only does this damage once every 3 seconds (or once per hit). SoO is the same. I doubt it is a bug, although perhaps ES forgot this happens and forgot to up the MoW's attack to compensate (making the base listed as 75 so it does 75/hit).

AOM:TT Nick:CADENtheCRUEL, CADENtheBLUE
Rating: Isis 1750, Ra 1700
"Ancestors last for a minute, but Crocs last forever..."
posted 14 February 2004 01:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 125  
The Man O'War is kind of disappointing for a Mythic Age MU, but that doesn't suprise me that much.

I vote Promethean.

posted 14 February 2004 01:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 125  
hehe....as usual, Very well done ArtemisChimera.

I think you should write on one of these guys:
Promethean
Nereid
Behemoth
Argus

posted 14 February 2004 02:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 125  
Nice guide. People should play island maps. There´s very little known about it so there´s much to discover.

I would like to see a guide on Caladria. IMO they´re much more useful to raiding than those slow and stupid prometheans. Caladria are like ravens, they´re great scouters to support your turma raiding army. Plus you can make as many as you want and they can heal! (And no, they're not expensive)

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
posted 14 February 2004 03:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 125  
caladaria

mythic water myths suck
get hyperion or oceanus

(-speaker-)
:unsure:
posted 14 February 2004 03:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 125  
nice m8.
my vote for next test is.
Carnivora

peace and love.

age of myth have turned inte age of isis. sad but true

posted 14 February 2004 03:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 125  
i agree^ also they got boosted after the patch. i vote Caladria.

The great Gold Giant- Talos
posted 14 February 2004 03:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 125  
I'll go with da flow. Caladria.

Its tourist season, get your rifle.
Foreign tourist meat is good.
Who cares what you do? We will all be dead in a few decades.
Dont run from your fears and sorrows.
Drown em in soda
posted 14 February 2004 03:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 125  
- title edited.

Hm, they suck I vote Dryad, these seem to be pesky little units.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 14 February 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 125  
Thanka Shiva

Promethean - 2
Caladria/Servant - 4
Carnivora - 1
Automaton -
Nereid -
Behemoth -
Dryad - 1
Argus -

I will be doing the Caladria and Servant in a "joint" guide because the guide wouldn't be too interesting for just one of them.

Also, I'm taking everyone's first vote.

Quote:

You can't get mythic rejuvination with Helios..

Thanks for spotting that Cicero

Quote:

This is a well known phenomenon with slow firing units. Petsuchos is listed as having a base attack of 55, but it really only does this damage once every 3 seconds (or once per hit). SoO is the same. I doubt it is a bug, although perhaps ES forgot this happens and forgot to up the MoW's attack to compensate (making the base listed as 75 so it does 75/hit).

The difference is that SoO and Petsuchos are extremely strong even with the incorrect stats. The Man O'Wars however, are not.

Rating - 1662

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 02-14-2004 @ 04:01 PM).]

posted 14 February 2004 04:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 125  
Nice post. Now I know how bad they really are

Anyways - I vote for Promethean

{¯ˆ·._.*-. Å . Å . Å . Å . Å . Å . Å .-*._.·ˆ¯}
==-==-==- KingAllDat-==-==-==
==-== \Proud Member of the AFK Clan/ ==-==
==-= "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda =-==
=-=-=-= We Shoot to Kill! =-=-=-=
posted 14 February 2004 04:24 PM EDT (US)     14 / 125  
Wow, they suck

I vote dryad. I'm almost sure those pesky things are overpowered

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 14 February 2004 05:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 125  
I vote for Automaton.
posted 14 February 2004 05:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 125  
Didn't Flank suggest they had some special usefulness against fishing ships?

I'll vote for the Dryad this time, do they even have a special attack like every other myth unit?

posted 14 February 2004 05:32 PM EDT (US)     17 / 125  
I vote for Argus, the acid looks cool!!:0

"Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be greater"

posted 14 February 2004 05:58 PM EDT (US)     18 / 125  
I guess its fair for Helios's second MU to be a bit weaker since he got H-G. My vote goes to Dryad...there just seems to be so little info on them.

"Wisdom begins in wonder."
-Socrates
posted 14 February 2004 06:44 PM EDT (US)     19 / 125  
Nice guide, as usual
I kinda think you have depleted all the interesting atty myth units, i think you should move on to another civ, maybe norse

but if its gonna be atties i vote caladria/servant
noone goes with oceanus, is it because of the myth units?

posted 14 February 2004 06:54 PM EDT (US)     20 / 125  
AC good guide. I agree though that its time to make guides for Eggy Norse or Greek MUs. How about fenris wolves?

I told you I'd be back.
posted 14 February 2004 06:55 PM EDT (US)     21 / 125  
Good guide but mow sucks I vote dryad too.

~RaZyCaY~

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous Everyone hasn't met me yet

posted 14 February 2004 07:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 125  
hi,
got a noob question, how does the mummy minion change work on water units?
thanks

1 vote for dryads

He who knows he has enough is rich.
Perseverance is a sign of willpower.
He who stays where he is endures.
To die but not to perish is to be eternally present.

Dao De Jing - Chapter 33

posted 14 February 2004 07:04 PM EDT (US)     23 / 125  
ghost ship i think. At least thats what the anscestors GP does.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 14 February 2004 07:07 PM EDT (US)     24 / 125  
Oh, one more thing, were the 1v1 tests vs arrow/siege/hammer ships done with Heroic Fleet? I'm assuming so, but how does the MoW fare without that upgrade?
posted 14 February 2004 07:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 125  
Yep, they suck.

Looks like I'm already outnumbered, but I gotta go with Nereid again.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to the Man O'War
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames