You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to Team Games
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 18 February 2004 11:40 PM EDT (US)   
well everyone, i read posts here all the time, but can rarely make a good post back so i thought i'd try a short guide to team games.....

first of all im currently 1710 (should be 1730.... damn rating bug!)so what i say is fairly accurate i like to think, but there are quite a few players here who would be likely to correct me.... please feel free (PS sorry for the bad layout, i dont know how to BOLD and italisize things!!!)

GENERAL INFO:
There are many reason that i love team games, complimenting strats, super GP combos, incredible unit mixes, coordinated attacks, resource tributing, and most of all CALLING FOR HELP ill break these down real quick to help you utilize your ally as much as you can, this is basically a guide to but the TEAM in team games, i see to many of these 2 seperate 1v1 games these days, use ur allies and kick butt together, THATS WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR

Complimenting Strats:
this is fairly simple, a rush+FH combo is good becuase the rush can distract both players allowing for the FHer to go almost untouched
Good Combos-
Double Rush- pin em down early!
Rush+FH/FM(??)/FT(???)- distract both players to allow for the real power to come in
Rush+ Boom- annoy them like a fly then watch as they are crushed by some powerful upgraded units
Double Fh- risky but if succeeded flood them w/ superieor GPs, siege, units and forts
Bad Combos-
Double FM/FT- can u say vulnerable?
Double Boom- i'd almost gaurenttee that if they pick up on what ur doing they will double one of you and finish it quick, w/ no units to help your ally is as good as gone

GP Combos:
look at some of the distruction you can cause....
Forest Fire on a Gaia Forest
A double of any of the following... meteor, tornado, implode, lightning storm, earthquake
Bronze the norse guy then have him cast FW for the ultimate army
Rain+Rain
Lure+ Great Hunt
FWinter+ Fwinter
.... the possabilities are almost endless, these are just some that i would say you have to try
Unit Mixes-
Not gonna even begin to list these but heres a way to look at it, every civ has a unit that essentially counters 2 units (eg Eggy- Cammels, ATL- fanatics, Norse- Husks) now thing about having a massive army of fanatics and huskarals, the micro is in the hands of u and your ally which means its easier micro but u gotta trust ur partner NOTE: im NOT saying only build one unit, but this makes it safer to focus upgrades and go up to 90% one unit, keep a fall back ALWAYS jsut in case

Coordinated Attacks-
DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE!!! you force them to make the choice of attacking your "undefended" base while risking their ally's doom or to try and see if they can get tehre in time to fend you off, try going both of you put 75% of your armies on one then leave the other 25% in the guy whos base is likely to be attacked by the non attacked ennemy, a few towers and ur trap has got both of them fairly well, if not doubling attack at the same time whenever possible, it will slow reinforcements so that as long as one of you can gain the upper hand you're on your way

Resource Tributing-
simple, if u need it ASK if he asks GIVE (w/ in reason of course)

Call For Help-
swallow your pride and click the flare button!!!! use the help sent to follow through and eliminate a fb if there was one, once ur stable feel free to go back to seperate 1v1s but i would recomend a double follow up to teach them a lesson if your allys condition allows, also for this, if villie seconds permit, throw up a rax or 2 in his base, it makes his life alot easier

2V2:
i mostly play 2v2s, i have one friend who i partner with all the time, basically in a 2v2 there isnt anything to special you can do outside of what i said above

3V3:
some simple tips:
"middle" guy should be the boomer/FHer/FMer
if nessesary 2 people can usually hold off 3 people for a bit, dont panic in this situation if u know ur 3rd can get a real attack going
take the GP combos out of control and teach them a real lesson

DO'S and DON'TS
DO:
follow this guide(lol)
help ur partner
talk about strat before game, if its rated at least
use the chat feature
say gg even if ya lose
DON'T:
tell ur partner you are busy, or that he is fine when he isnt
not share your strat if asked, it helps to know what the other guy is doing
abuse the chat feature, games arent the time for personal convos
be a noob and blame the loss on someone else!!

anyway thats what i got, hope it helps, my longest post yet!
have fun!

ESO Nicks:
Tyler__Durden_: 1664- Oranos/Isis
The_Lorax_:.....1600- Norse

Read Fight Club!! (and the Lorax too)

Replies:
posted 18 February 2004 11:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
good guide! partners should help each other out more, teams would be alot more successful.
posted 19 February 2004 00:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Great guide for people who are new.
( Thank god you made this hopfully noobs everywhere who play 3v3 quick setup will see this and make my time palying esier.)

Gp combos:
Forest Fire on a Gaia Forest

I never thought about that befor thanks for mentioning it. I know usualy me and my friend play Thor and Gaia. This is probably a pretty strong god power. Since people groupe there buildings together you should be able to take a few out fast.

Great Tips.

AOM Titan Info.
Rating: 1650+
Civ. : #1 Thor #2 kronos #3 Odin
ESO : Blunt_69 aka CV_KiNGPiN
posted 19 February 2004 02:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
you didn't mention my fav double sandshift villie rush
or one shits workers in the other shifts em back
posted 19 February 2004 03:11 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
What about set and possy. Lure and animals, archers and cavalry, one of the best combos I think.

Ex member of the good clan VnX
Ex member of the better clan PW
Applicant member for Orion
posted 19 February 2004 11:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
posted 19 February 2004 03:02 PM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
erm, I often tell my partners I am busy. Often, helping your ally is not as good as hitting the enemies. I guess it is a judgement call. If in doubt though, I would say hit the enemy rather than help your ally.
posted 19 February 2004 04:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
Dumb question: When you chat in a team game, does everybody see the text or just your ally/team member. I get confused about this.
posted 19 February 2004 04:56 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
@ flank... ok true but i wouldnt expect your ally to be calling for help unless he is screwed majorly, plus if u hit the ennemy whats your gaurentee u can win u dont know what he has for sure, no matter how good his scouting is, by helping your ally u know what you up against and you know u can quickly overwhelm it w/ superieor numbers and counters

ESO Nicks:
Tyler__Durden_: 1664- Oranos/Isis
The_Lorax_:.....1600- Norse

Read Fight Club!! (and the Lorax too)

posted 19 February 2004 06:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
Fanatics and husks sound great except for cheiroballista.
posted 19 February 2004 07:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Sum of ur GP combos arent GP combos.

A GP combo is a seris of GPs used consecuetively that directly benefit off each others effects.

Fwinter+Fwinter, Double Meteor/EQ/Twista/Lighnin/Implode , Bronze + Flamer's weapons, Double Rain AINT NO GP COMBO.

So there arent "endless possiblities".

ESO:core4score, Lg_CORE
RATING IN TT: 1700+
Member of Legend Clan

posted 20 February 2004 00:05 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
I disagree.

Bronze + Flaming weapons:
Flaming weapons boosts the attack, while bronze keeps those with flaming weapons alive longer. This is a legitimate GP combo.

Double fimbulwinter is better than using each separately, it will kill alot more buildings because it doesn't give enemy time to recover. Ditto for the meteor, earthquake stuff. Don't take semantics so personally.

I think the possibilities ARE endless. Team games are great! Right now my friends and I are doing Gaia's Forest + Forest Fire + Shifting Sands villie rush. Pretty funny, but it works too well so we might have to switch to something more fair soon

Teamwork can make an amazing difference, and not just in the use of GPs. I think there should be more discussion of team strategies on this site! Do all of you really play 1v1 all day? *Blech*

[This message has been edited by bischoje (edited 02-20-2004 @ 00:06 AM).]

posted 21 February 2004 05:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
doesn't fwinter block all other gps
so it would be impossible to double with it
not sure but thats what i thought
posted 21 February 2004 05:49 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
It does yeah.
Mabey he means one straight after another.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
Member of:Ambition Designs & PW Clan
Current Projects:The Warriors Of Sparta
Download:The Greek Dream
posted 22 February 2004 11:23 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
Here is another combo i find works amazingly well.

underground or tartarous gate (if you have TT) + vision(you can use a pegasus instead if you wish)

or

eclipse + ansestors (it might sound wierd but it works!)

'If you can't beat'em, Kill'em!'
Quote from "A dictator's handbook" page 37 paragraph 5
posted 22 February 2004 11:27 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
another good combo is use nihog then right after fimbul winter. Or frost then fimbul winter thats a good combo!
posted 22 February 2004 04:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
frost and greek warrior - what you two are talking about definitely are not GP combos.
posted 22 February 2004 05:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
Ragnarok + Flamming Weapon and fimbul winter !

Game over ! :-D

oxxxxx{}::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
Hero among Heroes
Author of ESOShowMyStats
Leader of VinaCIS Clan
oxxxxx{}::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
posted 22 February 2004 07:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
You're a dumb bunny. A really dumb bunny. If you were a president you'd be called Dumberham Licoln.
posted 22 February 2004 11:17 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
My personal favorite combo is when my opponent casts nidhogg, and I cast bolt

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
posted 23 February 2004 08:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
Double fimbulwinter would suck royally (shudder). I'd like to see more posts on team games. Most of what is posted talks as if its a 1v1 but the same strat wouldn't necessarily work as well in a 2v2, or at least it wouldn't work the same.

Speaking of team strats, I got doubled real good recently with a RA rhino villy rush supporting a Loki rush! I was waiting for the Loki rush -- I saw his buildings nearby -- but that was my first experience with the Rhino. I was like "what are these villies doing here?" Put together and they dropped my TC despite all I could do. My partner was nowhere near ready to help. His lone MU showed up too late and only served to disturb the looters.

posted 24 February 2004 03:20 AM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
there's one thing u could always do. Especially if ur ally being attacked is a good enuf classical age playa. let him hold off the attacks. send him little help. tribute as much as u can allow. and then counter/raid the stronger of the two opponents. that should make them think twice about doubling up on someone. also use the time u've gained by not being attacked to boom and outclass ur opponents. most of the time- if u boom n ur a boomer, and if ur ally gets taken down, u will be more than enuf to handle the two on one situation, provided u'v done ur raiding.

On the other hand, if ur the boomer, and u get attacked, get ur rush-capable ally to help just a lil bit and get him to boom enuff so he can make a good counter-offensive into their base. if ur dead, n ur the boomer, don't waste time. tribute those resources n hang around in the map. u might just be able to rise from the dead and launch a seige counter offensive when needed.

Agains't good players, ur normally hunted down till ur last villager. so it doesn't matter how long u can run. i've seen comics wall their last villager into a corner. just admit ur a noob, say gg n watch out the rest of the game. it doesn't hurt to admit u were outclassed at that point. just means u now know how NOT to go about things.

posted 20 April 2004 06:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
"Bronze the norse guy then have him cast FW for the ultimate army"

What will this do?

2nd place is the first loser
posted 20 April 2004 09:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
In spite of team play's popularity so little is written is on the topic. If I may suggest a few of additions to your already nice guide:

1. Voice command. Obviously being able to use hands-free voice commands is a tremendous advantage for teams. The small investment for a headset can really improve your team play.

2. Isis partners should try to build monuments for their partners, especially in critical areas. Your partners will love you for the GP prevention. Most early doubles will be concentrated on the non-Isis player so placing a monument there is really disconcerting for the opponents. Alternatively if your Isis partner is under early aggressive attack, help them! Sending over a priest to heal your ally (if they don't have that power) is also good ally etiquette.

3. Realize that team maps do not always resemble single player maps! This sounds obvious but for someone use to playing single games, the team maps can be a bit of a shock, not just size-wise, but lay-out too.

4. Depending on the circumstance, it's good to let your buddies know you are grabbing a particular asset- for example a TC, a herd of animals or a gold pile. Nothing worse than an Odin player great hunting a herd, and going to it later to find your ally ate the food without telling you. Be courteous and share whenever possible.

Oh and BTW CrAzYrOxx, if you are want to know how to code your articles, if you see another article with some effect you like, click on the little edit button in the post and the code will be revealed. Otherwise see this link:

http://www.heavengames.com/forumfaq.shtml#bbcode_quote

posted 21 April 2004 04:47 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  

Quote:

Bronze the norse guy then have him cast FW for the ultimate army

Umm, neither of those GPs affect allied units... so yeah. I guess if you each had an army it would sorta help... Use the bronze units as a meatshield while you have a ton of FU TAs whacking them and some jarls.

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
|{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
|{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.

[This message has been edited by ca_aok (edited 04-21-2004 @ 04:47 PM).]

posted 21 April 2004 05:54 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Whyd you bring up an old old topic...

~RaZyCaY~

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous Everyone hasn't met me yet

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to Team Games
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames