You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to the Chimera
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 19 February 2004 10:28 AM EDT (US)   
A Guide to the Chimera

by ManticoreKiller

We have all enjoyed reading the awesome MU guides churned out by ArtemisChimera. I am a big fan of his guides. However, I noticed that he has not written any guides for any Greek or Norse MUs as well as a few Egyptian and Atlantean MUs. In these guides, the first of which covers the Chimera, I'll cover all the Greek and Norse MUs NOT covered by him so far. I'll try to use the same general format used by him as far as possible. Now, lets go to the guide-

The Unit

Chimera (Greek Mythic age MU)
Melee MU with ranged special.
Available to players who choose Artemis (Posiedon/Hades)
Can be upgraded to the Chimera Tyrant by researching the Flames of Typhon 400F 40Fv

Stats (Stats of the Upgraded unit with a breakup of how the upgrade affects the original unit ):
HP: 960 (800+160)
Hack Damage: 26 (20+6)
Hack Armour: 60%
Pierce Armour: 60%
Crush Armour: 80%
Speed: 5.30

Special: Fires a Fan of Flames about 8m across as far as 8m in front of the unit doing a maximum of 75(58 +17) hack damage to units in the centre of the blast. Units at the edges take less damage. Takes 20 seconds to recharge. MUs take 3x damage.

Bonuses: 3x Normal and Special damage vs other MUs

Cost: 300G 30Fv 4Pop

From the stats, it is obvious that the Chimera is a typically robust Greek myth unit. It has huge hp, great armour and delivers a sizeable punch. Poseidon players taking Dionosyus in Heroic can research Bacchanalia to make this a genuinie 1000hp MU. Another thing that is obvious is the size of its upgrade. It increases hp by 20%, attack and special attack by 30%. As far as I know, this is the only unit specific myth upgrade in the game that boosts three factors. Most boost two. In addition, the Chimera is one of the fastest Mythic MUs out there. Its speed will leave most of the others for dead. Costwise, it is a great bargain as it only takes up 4 population slots. On the flip side, it is very costly in terms of gold and favour. The upgrade is similarly expensive. On paper this is an excellent unit so lets get to the tests-

Tests
Note: All human units have Medium, Heavy and Champion upgrades, Copper, Bronze and Iron upgrades

1. 1 Chimera Tyrant vs 1 Zeus Hoplite (166hp 13 hack damage 52% hack armour):
The Chimera's special reduces the Hoplite's hitpoints by 39 instantly. Subsequently, the Chimera does 13hp/sec damage to the hoplite. The hoplite does 6hp/sec damage to the Chimera. The Chimera kills the hoplite in 13 secs with 904hp left. Obviously, it would not have any trouble against 1 hoplite. How about in groups.

2. 5 Chimera Tyrants vs 20 Zeus Hoplites (4 rows of 5 each):
This is where the power of the Chimera's special comes through. The initial blast completely wipes out the first row. The second row also sutains some damage. The Chimeras wipe out the 20 Hoplites in 45 seconds without losing even a single unit. The second blast of the special took out another 4 Hoplites. This is obviously a very good unit to use in groups. How about against ranged units.

3. 1 Chimera Tyrant vs 10 Toxotes (78hp 10 pierce damage 38% hack armour):
This is over within 40 seconds. The Chimera survives with 182 hitpoints. It's good pierce armour prevents it from taking too much damage from the archers.

4. 1 Chimera Tyrant vs 1 Gold Collossus (1500hp 20 hack damage 50 crush damage 60% hack armour):
I selected a Gold Collossus to demonstrate how good this unit is against other myth units. A Gold Collossus has more hitpoints than any other unit in the game with the exception of the Titans. The Chimera's special attack does a lot more damage to myth units. The Gold Collossus lost almost 200 hitpoints from the fire blast alone. After that, the Chimera did 31 hack damage per second to the Collossus while the Gold Collossus did just 23 hack damage per second to the Chimera. Net result- the Chimera kills the Gold Collossus in 45 seconds. Even against a titan, a Chimera can take out 300 hitpoints and last for over 70 seconds as a meatshield. This makes for an excellent meatshield since it dosen't make sense to send more than 2 units at a time against a titan as a meatshield given the fact that the titan does area damage to all adjacent units.

5. 1 Chimera Tyrant vs 1 Greek House (450hp 35% hack armour):
The Chimera takes 35 seconds to destroy the house. This is no building killer but it will do the job if really needed. This is really just academic as Poseidon and Hades players each have three great options to level buildings with (Heliopoli, Petroboli and Hetariori/Gastrapetes).

All in all, this proves that the Chimera is an awesome myth unit with an extremely dangerous special. Some points to remember about its special are-
1. It does more damage in the centre of the fan than at the edges.
2. Even heroes caught up in the area suffer a small amount of damage. Heroes cannot be directly targeted by the special.
3. It takes a long time (about 20 seconds) to recharge.
4. The upgrade boosts the special by as much as 30%.
5. In groups, the special stacks up and is very dangerous.
6. It does 3x (225) hack damage to Myth Units. I have actually observed even higher values vs some MUs.

The Chimera loses to the following fully upgraded MUs in a 1 vs 1 contest-
Argus
Medusa
Mummy
Frost Giant
Phoenix

The Lampades chaoses out the Chimera but the chaosed out Chimera kills the Lampades subsequently.
The Chimera beats the following fully upgraded MUs in a 1 vs 1 contest-
Fire Giant
Mountain Giant
Avenger
Fenris Wolf
Hydra (1 head)
Collossus
Hekagigantes

Suggested Usage

vs Greeks- Hades players can use this as a good meatshield for their awesome building killing archers (Gastrapetes, I think). They can be used to take out groups of hoplites, hippkons and MUs. Watch out for those powerful Greek heroes.

vs Norse- Chimerae can be used in groups to rip apart massed norse huskarl attacks. Thier high hp makes them reasonably good against Jarls as well. Just don't let groups of Hersirs or Ragnarok heroes spoil the day.

vs Egyptians- One of the few MUs I would consider using against the egytians. Their high hitpoints and armour makes them more survivable to priests. As long as your own ranged units keep the priests away, this one excells against the weaker units. Particularly strong against Chariot Archers. In groups, thier concentrated special will even seriously weaken War Elephants.

vs Atlanteans- Due to the weak attie heroes, this unit rules the Atlanteans. They will exterminate massed Turmae with no effort whatsoever. Atlantean MUs are like lambs to the slaughter given their low hp. Watch out for Argus and Lampades though. A chaosed out Chimera can be one hell of a headache.

Conclusion
Until the Argus came along this was (in my humble opinion) the wierdest looking MU in the game. Looks apart, it is quite clear that the Chimera is right up there with the best MUs the game has to offer. One on one, it can beat any non flying, non instant kill MU in the game with the exception of the Frost Giant. Its awesome special is a very powerful tool. Used defensively, it can rip the heart out of enemy formations. This unit really has it all- it is tough, powerful, fast and best of all takes 4 pop slots (I really hate building 5 pop units). Going Artemis if you are Poseidon or Hades makes a hell of a lot of sense. As mentioned before- you don't really need the Collossus given the great UUs both get vs buildings. In addition, the earhquake 'WMD' gp is probably the most destructive gp in the game. Going Artemis is really quite an easy choice to make.

Please mention which MU you would like me to cover next in bold (use the

[b]Text[/b]
tags) in your replies. It can be any Greek or Norse MU except the ones already covered by Artemis Chimera in his guides and Nidhhogg. I'll try to make the guides a weekly affair.

[This message has been edited by ManticoreKiller (edited 02-23-2004 @ 02:13 AM).]

Replies:
posted 19 February 2004 10:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 91  
*cough* cheap ripoff *cough*

Nevertheless, good to write a guide, but even the lay-out is a ripoff.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
posted 19 February 2004 10:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 91  
There is no way that a frost giant of thyrm would beat a chimera tyrant. I can only think that you had a frost giant of thrym with the granite blood upgrade, which is not possible in game. I am a little surprised it beats a gold colossi and an avenger, but I will take your word for it. Perhaps I underrated the chimera. If only Zeus got Artemis

Perhaps you could do a guide on the Troll? I once made 68 hammartrolls in 1 game, as well as a handful of battle boars and 30+ fire giants. You got to love Loki

posted 19 February 2004 11:04 AM EDT (US)     3 / 91  
Flank, the Frost Giant beats it because it uses its special. The special keeps the Chimera frozen exactly enough for the special to recharge again, and the Chimera gets no hits in at all. Frost Giants beat practically any MU this way except Medusa and such.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 19 February 2004 11:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 91  
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ArtemisChimera's guides are the bomb, so if the layout and tests are perfect, then why use any others.

Nice guide ManticoreKiller, can you do the Manticore next, because I want to know how bad it actually is!

posted 19 February 2004 12:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 91  
Heh..

IMHO, Chimera = best unit in game. Their special works even against villagers, and if FU, the special reduces villagers to 1 HP.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 19 February 2004 12:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 91  
99% of the things said on this forum have been said before 1000s of times, so why complain about the originality of this guide

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
posted 19 February 2004 01:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 91  
lol cymcophane
posted 19 February 2004 02:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 91  
If ArtemisChimera refuses to do the Automaton, will you?

- Me
posted 19 February 2004 02:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 91  
Did you ask Chim as I'm sure he would say yes , but if you havent i dont know.
Good guide but prefere Chims for the fancy colours^^

Ex member of the good clan VnX
Ex member of the better clan PW
Applicant member for Orion
posted 19 February 2004 03:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 91  
About the frost giant. I thought that units frozen by its special could still attack, just not move? I am sure I have seen frozen units attacking (in several hundred different games), you just cant move them. So I ask again, how on earth does a frost giant of thrym beat a chimera tyrant?
posted 19 February 2004 03:01 PM EDT (US)     11 / 91  
No Flank, they're momentarily dead while the frost lasts. They cannot attack. Just think of the Frostie's special as casting "Frost" except that the units retain their regular armor.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 19 February 2004 03:51 PM EDT (US)     12 / 91  
Very, very interesting. Hmm...looks like I underestimate myth units too much. I should try throwing in one or two chimeras next time. Thanks for the good post.
posted 19 February 2004 03:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 91  
Microing frost giants is damn effective. And their special is so far superior to the Frost GP, which basically immobilizes and make an army invincible. I think of the frost GP not as a GP to kill an army, but one to immobilize an army while you rip down their base/towers/tc (and builod your own hill fort/tc).
Some noob
posted 19 February 2004 03:55 PM EDT (US)     14 / 91  
oh, and to The Might Quin, thanks for doing the research! I for one saw you plainly say you were using Artemis_Chimera or whatever's format and thanked him for it. Trying to do a guide using his typa research is the highest flattery for him, and helped us noobs because he doesn't have the time to spit out all the guides we need. Just make sure you thank him, and put the necessary effort into the guides, and I'll continue to read and appreciate them.
Some noob
posted 19 February 2004 04:37 PM EDT (US)     15 / 91  
great guide, although i knew most things myself, i have used the chimera since i read your mu test/compare and i have found it to be better than i expected, a group of 5 backed by hades tox, and on top of this mu you also get earthquake and 15% damage upgrade for tox.

but thump up for this, and could you do a guide to the manticore, i have seen test where the mantico are able to take out a lot, because it also have splash damage from special (i think), but it would be nice to see the numbers on it.

i think that hades really have some very good god choices availeble to him.
he gets chimera, manticore (i bet it is a very good mu when tested) and several upgrades to his already powerfull tox.
3 x 10% damage upgrades (with his original bonus) and 1 15% upgrade.
gotta love hades

Smile to the world, it will think you are up to something

ESO playstyle: casual
ESO Name: MeToAgain, and 2 other names which im not telling you about:P

posted 19 February 2004 05:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 91  
Great Guide!

Just curious about what the results are for a 5 headed Hydra? If you have time, could you post the results here?

I too was surprised that the Frost Giant beat out the Chimera, but I do suppose it's logical because of its special. Does the Stymphalion Bird not beat the Chimera 1 on 1? I assume that the Chimera's special does not hit the bird similar to the Pheonix. I also assume that the bird will take a tonne of time to kill a chimera.

Ciao

posted 19 February 2004 06:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 91  
I didn't realize the Chimera was only 4 pop. It's most likely more pop effective than a Gold Colossus, at least the Chimera Tyrant appears to be.

Nice guide, though you probably should have gotten AC's permission before biting his style. :P

posted 19 February 2004 06:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 91  
Ouch, this is kinda harsh.

The Chimera is actually my favourite MU, and I would have liked to do a guide on it myself.

Also, Manticore, you didn't ask me whether any of this was ok, or even whether I was even going to do guides on the other civs.

I'm kinda upset and disappointed that you would do this.

Quote:

However, I noticed that he has not written any guides for any Greek or Norse MUs as well as a few Egyptian and Atlantean MUs.

I can't write guides for every single MU in the space of a few months. Not only would I have no time for anything else, but people would be SICK of them.
In fact, after the next Atlantean guide I was going to move onto other civs, but you've beat me to it, so what's the point?

If you wanna "beat me to the other MU guides" then go for it, there's no point me carrying on doing any more of them if this is what's gonna happen.

I just wish you had talked to me about whether any of this was ok, particularly using my format.

Guess there's a new guide maker in town. Maybe I should resign

EDIT: Also, why are you doing these guides? Just a simple question, why are you doing them?

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 02-19-2004 @ 06:49 PM).]

posted 19 February 2004 06:51 PM EDT (US)     19 / 91  
*sniff*

I smell some competition.
*sniff*

I think this matter can be resolved by one on one mortal combat. Whoever loses, must give up making MU Guides.
P.S. My money's on ArtemisChimera, ;P

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
posted 19 February 2004 07:26 PM EDT (US)     20 / 91  
lol.
That would be a very good idea cyclops.
Y dont ArtemisChimera and ManticoreKiller play vs. each other?
Id like 2 be the observer.
Imagine artemis gettin 100 chimeras and manticores and charging towards ManticoreKiller's base. Manticore Killer kills all the Manticores but the Chimeras live:0

Im just jokin. Dont do that if u dont want 2.

ESO:core4score, Lg_CORE
RATING IN TT: 1700+
Member of Legend Clan

posted 19 February 2004 07:51 PM EDT (US)     21 / 91  
Yeah, you should have asked. Oh well, live and learn

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 19 February 2004 08:15 PM EDT (US)     22 / 91  
ArtemisChimera,

"Immitation is the highest form of flattery." You've got a great reputation on these forums, and just because someone else copies your format, doesn't mean you should "resign".

Yeah, ManticoreKiller probably should have asked before using your format. It's unfortunate that he didn't, but at least he gave you credit for the format, and certainly said nothing but good things about your work.

Your guides are very popular, and people will probably continue to copy them, trying to obtain the same respect that you have. Some will succeed, most will not.

In the end, we'll all read and enjoy the guides that you put together. It's OK to be pissed, but please don't quit, because we're all waiting for the next one.

posted 19 February 2004 08:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 91  
Thanks PathFinder

I think I'll take a break from writing guides anyway. There are SO many at the moment it's just getting to be a joke. This is exactly what happened when I did the Egyptian Myth Unit guides, it's probably best if I stop doing them for a while.

I'll do one more Atlantean Myth Unit (winner of this week's poll) then a break, for how long I don't know.

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 19 February 2004 09:32 PM EDT (US)     24 / 91  
And also, ArtemisChimera, theres nothin wrong wit U makin a guide 2 the chimera.
He left a few things out and u can always improise wit ur skill.
And if u arent gonna rite anymore guides 4 awhile, at least be on ESO more. Id love 2 meet u more often.

ESO:core4score, Lg_CORE
RATING IN TT: 1700+
Member of Legend Clan

posted 19 February 2004 09:50 PM EDT (US)     25 / 91  

Quote:

Ouch, this is kinda harsh.

The Chimera is actually my favourite MU, and I would have liked to do a guide on it myself.

Also, Manticore, you didn't ask me whether any of this was ok, or even whether I was even going to do guides on the other civs.

I'm kinda upset and disappointed that you would do this.

However, I noticed that he has not written any guides for any Greek or Norse MUs as well as a few Egyptian and Atlantean MUs.

I can't write guides for every single MU in the space of a few months. Not only would I have no time for anything else, but people would be SICK of them.
In fact, after the next Atlantean guide I was going to move onto other civs, but you've beat me to it, so what's the point?

If you wanna "beat me to the other MU guides" then go for it, there's no point me carrying on doing any more of them if this is what's gonna happen.

I just wish you had talked to me about whether any of this was ok, particularly using my format.

Guess there's a new guide maker in town. Maybe I should resign

EDIT: Also, why are you doing these guides? Just a simple question, why are you doing them?

Buddy, calm down, it's not that hard to write a guide and do little tests in the editor. Then, putting the data down. Don't be mad that this guy will get the front page like you like to have, maybe he'd just like to have his name in fame. Just don't start crying over this guy being able to write a guide and overreacting and saying that you can't write guides anymore because this guy made a good guide. If this was your favorite Myth unit, why didn't you do it already? I guess you can't take having a simple thing you did being imitated. I don't think he wanted to beat you out, he just wanted to have a series completed more quickly. Nice guide ManticoreKiller.

Cicero_
The great numbers in which you are here met this day, O Romans, and this assembly, greater than, it seems to me, I ever remember, inspires me with both an exceeding eagerness to defend the republic and with a great hope of relenquishing it.
-Cicero's Fourth Philippic [106 B.C.-43 B.C.]

[This message has been edited by Cicero_ (edited 02-19-2004 @ 09:52 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to the Chimera
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames