You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Investigation/Guide to the Hetairoi
posted 27 February 2004 09:23 PM EDT (US)   
Posiedon's special unit, the Hetairoi is underused, much due to the fact that Posiedon himself is underused. The other day, I played a single player free for all with 6 comps. I was Posiedon. At first I struggled, but once I got to mythic and got full upgrades, I realized something; Hetairoi are one of the most powerful units in the game. In total I made 227 by the end.

So after that I decided to run tests.

But first, here are its stats:

Hetairoi with FULL UPGRADES
187 HP, 5.28 speed, 34 hack armor, 56 pierce armor, 15 hack damage. 3.5x bonus to buildings. Approximately 53 hack to buildings.

Cost: 50 food, 81 gold, 3 population

~Tests~
I had the Hetairoi fight 1v1 with: 1 guard tower (with crenellations and boiling oil), 1 Scorpion man, 1 Hoplite, and 1 Prodromos.

Heroic upgrades (no myth techs).
This means that all upgrades available in the Heroic age are purchased, which include Heavy soldiers, and Bronze Weapons. Upgrades are supplied to both the Hetairoi and their opponents.

Hetairoi 137 HP, 4.8 speed, 51 pierce armor, 27 hack armor, 11 hack damage. 3.5x bonus to buildings. Approximately 38.5 hack to buildings.

1v1 Tests
Hetairoi dies- guard tower has 474/850 HP left.
Hetairoi dies- Scorpion man has 456/500 HP left.
Hetairoi dies- Hoplite has 43/143 HP left.
Hetairoi dies- Prodromos has 95/150 HP left.

~Tests- round 2~
Full Upgrades (All myth techs for ideal minor gods [Hermes, Dionysus, Hephaestus]- NOTE: Bacchanalia is included because it is a Dionysus tech and has an effect on Hetairoi). Full upgrades are supplied to the Hetairoi and its opponents, however no myth techs were given to the opponents.

Hetairoi 187 HP, 5.28 speed, 34 hack armor, 56 pierce armor, 15 hack damage. 3.5x bonus to buildings. Approximately 53 hack to buildings.

1v1 Tests
Hetairoi dies- guard tower has 73/850 HP left.
Hetairoi dies- Scorpion man has 371/500 HP left.
Hetairoi dies- Hoplite has 11/166 HP left.
Hetairoi dies- Prodromos has 89/174 HP left.

As you can see, the Hetairoi still is defeated by each oppenent, but does considerably better. And remember that the Hetairoi is not favored versus any of these (except the guard tower). Even in the case of the guard tower, the fact that the Hetairoi brought it down to 73 HP is astonishing. The tower cost 200 gold (the test was done under Egyptian) where as the Het. only costs 81 gold and 50 food. At this "exchange rate" of 1 Hetairoi for almost 1 tower, Posiedon come out with a HUGE advantage

Since Town Centers are always targets, I did some more tests.

Hetairoi vs. Town Center:
Hetairoi dies- Town Center has 2387/2800 HP left.

4 Hetairoi vs. Town Center
Town Center dies- 3 Hetairoi left, 2 at full health and one with 43/187 HP left. It is destroyed in 30 seconds.

These are amazing results, as you have most likely independantly conluded.

~~~~~~Conclusion~~~~~~
With 3 population slot requirements, Hetairoi are somewhat difficult to make room for. But ask yourself: "What else does Posiedon have?"
Hippikons may have higher attack and hitpoints, but their armor is worse, and they dont have that sick bonus vs. buildings.
Overall, Hetairoi are best used against the Egyptians. Hetairoi will quickly demolish their strong structures. Egyptians can really only easily counter Hetairoi with camels and spearmen. With spearmen, their slim .5 bonus is not enough to really be afraid of, and their low HP makes a quick kill for the high-damage Hetairoi. So just watch out for theose camels. Against Egypt Hetairoi are a neccesity and althogh they take a lot of population slots, they will do just as much damage on your enemy's population as only 4 of them can mow down a TC.
Against other civs they should be more carefully used, but still frequently. And if you find that your enemy has no counters for them, mass a ton of them fast, and swiftly knock out every building you can before he builds counters. As Posiedon, you can easily mass attack without leaving many troops behind for defense, because of militia that pop outof buildings.
By getting Hephaestus you can also benefit from forge of Olympus which makes armory upgrades uber cheap. ALWAYS upgrade Hetairoi.
Lastly, Hetairoi are pretty much equivalent to the Norse Jarl, especially with the Beast Slayer tech which gives them a bonus vs. Myth Units.

I hope you got something out of this guide and I see an era of Posiedon possibly coming in the next patch. With Hetairoi, he definately has the potential to dominate in the Mythic Age.

EDIT:
"With 3 population slot requirements, Hetairoi are somewhat difficult to make room for."
I initally thought it was 4 slots, which is hefty. But then thanx to Halimedes i realized it was 3. It is still a high pop. slot number, but 3 rather than 4 makes a huge difference.

I told you I'd be back.

[This message has been edited by SilverOsirisAOM (edited 03-20-2004 @ 11:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 27 February 2004 09:33 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Wow, they really own buildings. But still, I'd rather have 3 pop hips, which are much better against units. 4 pop for heteroi is ridiculous.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 27 February 2004 09:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Yeah, they'd be a lot better if they were only 3 pop.
posted 27 February 2004 10:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Whoops i forgot to mention how good they are for raiding. They can destroy a house even if there were 50 fortresses next to it. Theyd basically kill it before the arrows hit them .

I told you I'd be back.
posted 28 February 2004 01:09 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
I just played a game with them, and I noticed that they do cost only 3 pop. Maybe they changed it in a patch, because I'm sure they were 4 pop before. They're still a bit expensive, though. The Beast Slayer tech gives them a slight usability boost.
posted 28 February 2004 01:11 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
WHAT!!!??? I looked it up a few hours ago it was 4 pop. I'll check, ive got aom open right now.
HOLY GOD youre right!!! This is major! They are even better than i thought.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 28 February 2004 01:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
If only they could fight units also. They have no bonus vs archers, there armor isnt that great and they have low hitpoints.
posted 28 February 2004 01:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
Their armor is actually pretty good. They beat archers quite nicely but thats it. If the enemy's got prodromos you can kiss your Hetairoi goodbye.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 28 February 2004 07:00 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
SilverOsisris this was a very good guide on the hetaroi. I always thought they were terrible but upon further analysis you are right they are good. Could you do your next guide on gastraphetes?
posted 28 February 2004 07:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Spearmen don't recieve a .5 damage bonus...they recieve a 1.1x Bonus. With Horus's Tech, they get a 2.1x Bonus.
posted 28 February 2004 09:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  

Quote:

Hetairoi with FULL UPGRADES
187 HP, 5.28 speed, 34 hack armor, 56 pierce armor, 15 hack damage. 3.5x bonus to buildings. Approximately 53 hack to buildings.

That may look good on paper, but it's really only useful against buildings in a real game. Compared with a Fully Upgraded Jarl:

342 HP, 5.28 speed, 42% hack armor, 53% pierce armor, 14 hack attack, and a cost of 50f 80g 3pop.

This completely dominates the Hetairoi for the same cost; it has almost 2x HP! Add in the 4x bonus vs myth units and you realize you're getting a *lot* more for your money.

However, I didn't realize the Hetairoi was only 3 pop now. That does make them useful for a bit of house or TC raiding. But I still wouldn't use them as my main army.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 02-28-2004 @ 09:20 AM).]

posted 28 February 2004 09:30 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
The reason that hetairoi suck is that you get a much better deal if you go hippikon+helepolis than if you go hetairoi. The only advantage hetairoi have is their speed. They are kinda underated(house raids with hetairoi late game can be really annoying since you cant stop them with walls and they are pretty fast compared to other seige, except FU rams that is) but they still suck.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

posted 28 February 2004 09:53 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
The Hetariori is a great unit v buildings but it is only good in patches v other things. Comparing it to the other 2 Greek UUs, I find them wanting in some areas. The Gastrapetes (Hades), my personal favourite, is an awesome unit. It is just as good vs buildings and can destroy infantry. The Myrmindon (Zeus) is a very strong infantry unit which does acceptably well vs anything. The one thing the Hetariori has going for it is its cost which is comparatively low. FU Poseidon Hipps are much better all round.
posted 28 February 2004 10:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
weren't they 2 pop in AoM?

And Theia Hero Contarius are light years better than Hetaroi.

posted 28 February 2004 10:39 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
no theyve always been 3.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 28 February 2004 05:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
does anyone know how to pronounce Hetairoi. Is it Heh-ta-row-ee, Het-ay-ih-roy, or what?

I told you I'd be back.
posted 28 February 2004 05:37 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
mm, I think its:
e like etch
ai like aisle
oi like oily
accent on the ai
I think the r should be rolled or trilled

Everyone got AIDS and shit

[This message has been edited by Fwiffo (edited 02-28-2004 @ 05:38 PM).]

posted 28 February 2004 05:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
so Heh-ry-toy

I told you I'd be back.
posted 28 February 2004 08:09 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
It He-tair-roy.

ESO name: ChazFang &DeafPride_Fang
Playing against a better player is one of the most effective way to improve...
What matters most is how you see yourself...
"Our fears and doubts are our traitors"-William Shakesphere
The last 3 lines are very true...
The last 4 lines are very true...
posted 29 February 2004 12:32 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
this guide didnt get much discussion. But i going to make another.
What im porobably going to do is see whats better: Myrmidon or Fanatic. They are very similar. Or else i will do one on the Gastraphetes. VOTE

I told you I'd be back.
posted 20 March 2004 11:07 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
bump

I told you I'd be back.
posted 21 March 2004 00:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
nice... but i dont like possy bcause he cant heal!
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » The Investigation/Guide to the Hetairoi
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames