Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: eggy building guide
posted 17 March 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)   
eggy building guide

this is my first time posting any kind of strat topic, but ill try 'n make it interesting.

alot of people are making unit guides, or god strats, but i havent seen one building plan yet. I play isis, and i cant say im an amazing player, but im not stupid, and ive had a few good ideas in my time .

when i first started, i went straight to eggy, with one of the first things i noticed being the free buildings. early on people told me to surround my towers with houses for protection, and that was fine for a while....

While being whooped by some better isis players, i started to notice how they built other buildings around their towers for protection, and this got me thinking. I first saw neptune_vince (vince_z) use a temple, two houses and the villiger monument to surround one of his forward towers, allowing him to surround the other towers with houses and other buildings, but also (as he was playing isis too) to protect his tower from that nasty undermine gp.

by adding to this, you can decrease the surface area of youre "agressive" buildings, even limiting them to being attacked by ranged weapons (which is nice untill mythic).
as an example, i have created a small town with some complex and relatively simple building designs:

simple:

note the monument to protect from gp's and tower in the middle

complex:

cant see the pic?

note how the buildings are curved around the resource for protection, with the mining camp protecting the tower as well. all the buildings which produce units have some open surface area, so all can still be used.

with a proper plan, you can create well protected passages, making walls useless, eg:

if you cant see the pic, then clicky

by forcing youre opponent to create seige, you can make more units to counter them. with this plan, i would make a group of camels to attack their seige while i attack with the rest of my force.

if you decide to build like this, dont go defencive. this is not a way of turtling (sp?) better, but something to fall back to and regroup, it might be better to build a forward base in this way too. also, it scares the.. um, newer people.

i hope this helped, or at least broadend some people's minds to new building ideas. cheerio!

if you want me to add more bb / interesting stuff just ask

um....... oh oh spaghetti o's......

any ideas on how to make this work?

[This message has been edited by ipso (edited 03-17-2004 @ 05:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 March 2004 04:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
erm....i don see any of the pics, which seem to be what htis guide is based off of...
posted 17 March 2004 04:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
crup..... i'll try n sort it.....
posted 17 March 2004 04:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
I can only see the first one..
posted 17 March 2004 04:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
hmmmmmmm, why! little help from anyone? i tried to upload the pics to an msn users account, but it seems like only one pic is showing when i did the same thing for all of them....

ok, ive patched it up untill someone can tell me what went wrong.... sorry bout having to click on the links.

[This message has been edited by ipso (edited 03-17-2004 @ 05:16 PM).]

posted 17 March 2004 06:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
I did a view source on this page and looked at the links, you can see where there is server encoding going on. Maybe for the line breaks in the message window?

You might try a shorter url :-)

[This message has been edited by cbcarey (edited 03-17-2004 @ 06:45 PM).]

posted 17 March 2004 07:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
I tend to try to use my rax as a wall roughly surrounding my main base, but still within tower fire range. I also have my vil that builds the armory just keep building multiple armories around my base to help complete the wall effect (it also helps later when you want to get lots of upgrades once you are popped out.)

One concern I would have about surrounding your vills on 3 sides with buildings would be that it would make them very easy to corner by RC. Now if you are Ra and have crenellations and rhino skin, thats not a big deal as your opponent will suffer much more in losses then you will in such an exchange. However, if you don't have crenellations or rhino skin, you might loose quite a few gold miners as they would have no avenue of escape in a building plan like that.

posted 17 March 2004 07:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
Very original, very interesting post. Thanks!
posted 18 March 2004 06:23 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
very original post, would like more post's like that.

but i dont agree completely, it would take to much building time to just protect 1 goldmine.
i do something like that when i play eggy, but only with the buildings needed to be build.
dont construct rax to block of towers, unless you need to build the rax anyway, use armory instead they dont cost anything except vil time.
but again, no reason to build 20 armories, that will only take to much time of you production.
when you start of, build you granery next to a tower if possible, and do the same with your mine and lumber camp.
and use your houses to, then build the rax between 2 towers in a line with small exits making a wall with natural gates (almost as effective)

and look for small passages into your critical areas, they can be blocked of by 1 building, or a small patch of wall.
and walls can be usefull, they are quick to build (compared to buildings) and they have a lot of hitpoints compared to regular buildings.

edit: oh forgot, just my 2 cents

Smile to the world, it will think you are up to something

ESO playstyle: casual
ESO Name: MeToAgain, and 2 other names which im not telling you about:P

[This message has been edited by Meto (edited 03-18-2004 @ 06:24 AM).]

posted 18 March 2004 11:49 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
thanks! i was trying to show that, but the pictures were probably misleading as i made the town with no opponent. you have to change how you build depending on the situation, and my examples were exadurated a bit, sorry!

all i was getting at is that since buildings offer protection, it can be usefull to make more use of that

posted 18 March 2004 01:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
ipso,

You make a good point, but if your not playing Isis, then having buildings grouped together tightly is an open invitation for a few nasty GP's, which would do a lot more damage to you. Such groupings are an Atties dream, when looking for just the right spot to plop down a Tartarian Gate.

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
posted 18 March 2004 03:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  

Quote:

You make a good point, but if your not playing Isis, then having buildings grouped together tightly is an open invitation for a few nasty GP's, which would do a lot more damage to you. Such groupings are an Atties dream, when looking for just the right spot to plop down a Tartarian Gate.

Yeah, i agree. This would be a good build for Isis (but i think this is a little too defensive...i don't know about you..but i want to expand by base, not keep it in one area.) ANyway...GPs like Earthquake, Tornado, Meteor, Tartarian gate, and Implode would absolutely ruin this.. So Ra and Set should not use this BO at all

http://nervenexus.com/eso/eso_stats.php?ESOName=kmacattack3&gametype=Supremacy&timeperiod=AllTime
posted 19 March 2004 01:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
By sure an excellent building strategy for Isis. And you can't deny it looks like a real middle-east city.
Really cool !
posted 19 March 2004 03:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
Cool my name is called in the guide

- I do make some houses around my towers but i don't make a complete village lol.

- U sometimes build in ur MIgdoll Stronghold so u can't get military out of it

- You also made a Siege Works inside it takes hours for the ram to get around it, I would leave some spaces between the barracks

- I think building urself in is only good against raiding cuz when you get a whole army against you, defensing with buildings only is impossible. Anyway the guid itself is good (Y)

PW_Vince_

[This message has been edited by VinceZ (edited 03-19-2004 @ 03:06 PM).]

posted 19 March 2004 09:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
The pictures are likely too wide to be displayed therefore the little red Xs are appearing. I am able to click on the work link, however, so although not as pretty as having the actual images in the post, it still works.

While you discuss some interesting ideas I find this type of build too restrictive for the fluid nature of AOM/TT gameplay. You want to be able to speckle your raxes around the map where ever needed, in order to replenish your forces fast- especially in an important battle. In the one image the migdol seems to be completely surrounded, and although I cannot rotate the image to check, it doesn't look as if there is room for units to emerge. It takes some time to perfectly arrange the buildings that way and a lesson I learnt early on is give arrangement secondary priority and speed first.

While presenting new ideas and experimenting with game facets is an excellent thing to do- and I commend you on this- in the hundreds of games I have played or watched, this type of arrangement is very rare. Putting all your buildings close that like also leaves you open to GPS. For example undermine would probably totally devastate a grouping like that. Surround your towers with houses, monuments, even walls, yes, but group them all together like that, I would advise against it.

posted 20 March 2004 08:20 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
lol, thanks. i was playing isis, so no gp's there, and i made sure that every building that produces units could. its still a fairly average town, with about 12 rax and 3 migdols, which isnt too far off a normal game, s theres no reason you cant expand or make more forward bases.
also, by building like this it can affect youre playing style phsycologically, making you feel in charge and letting you take more risks.
posted 20 March 2004 08:48 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Bah, you're totally right regarding the momuments. I should have specified that the GPs would work only if you were not playing Isis. My oversight.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » eggy building guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames