You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Utilizing the Zeus Hoplite
posted 13 April 2004 05:20 PM EDT (US)   
Ok I truly feel that the zeus hoplite is the best overall unit in the game. It has +12% speed and has a 1.5x multiplier vs buildings. In order to show you in what ways its best to use the zeus hoplite i must first tell you in depth about these bonuses as that is what makes them so great.

Here are the stats for a Zeus hoplite with no upgrades
Cost: 50 food 40 gold
Population: 2
Hack Damage: 8
HP: 115
Hack Armor: 35%
Pierce Armor: 15%
Crush Armor: 99%
Speed: 4.7 meters/second
Line of sight: 16 meters
Training time: 14 seconds

Why hoplites (any type) are the best all around unit
1. They beat every type of unit pop and cost effectively. i.e. they beat ulfs,hipps, and tox cost and pop effectively as well as units in any way like them. Only hard counters can beat them.
2. They have a lot of armor so are hard to get rid of as they raze your base.
3. Great to stop cav raids
4. Have a great cost. At 50 food and 40 gold its easy to afford them because they dont overly drain any resource.
5. For such a strong unit they are made quite fast
6. Good LOS allows them to gauge whether they want a given fight or not before a cav army could.

What makes Zeus' the best
BONUSES
1 +12% speed
This seems at face value to just be a matter of convieniance but I truly value this bonus VERY much. It raises the hoplites speed from 4.2 to 4.7. This turns it from a slow unit to a unit that only cav can catch up to. This makes it very possible to do many things that ill touch on later. Here are the basic uses for this bonus

1a If your army is across the map and your base or oen of your settlements is attacked a zeus hoplite army will get there much quicker (around 5 seconds most of the time) and curb the razing of your base faster. Also in the same way if you attack the enemy from one side of his base you can get to the other side to attack there faster.

1b This makes hops effective units vs archers. In a 10vs10 matchup betwen hops and tox's non zeus hops have an average of 4 hops left at the end whereas zeus hops have 5 left. Thats a 10% difference which is a lot. Of course they will have a meatshield so i tested that. 6 hipps and 10 tox vs 18 hops (as close to pop and cost equality as possible) the zeus hops win with an average of 7 left and non zeus hops win with an average of 6 left. This is because one and sometimes two non zeus hops die to arrow fire before they close in whereas the zeus hop will get in one or two hits on teh hipps before dying. This makes a difference because that hipp will die easier meaning that more hops will live to fight the tox meanign more hops will live to the end. Also note that it is pretty amazing how well the hoplite as a unit did in these tests.

1c If you dont have a forward base this bonus is truly a lifesaver. As you are sending reinforcments the faster the unit is the faster he will get to the front line and help you. A zeus hoplite can get to battle 4-7 sec before his counterpart. When this happens a large number of times it really adds up and gives the Zeus player an advantage.

1d In a battle with a lot of melee units everyoen knows that it takes a while for the units that were in the back of your column to get there and fight someone. They end up going all the way around the enemy army. With the zeus hoplite your whole army will be fighting for longer during the battle. This could make or break some very close battles. Also against a smaller force your army coudl surround his army faster resulting in even larger of a slaughter

1e With their buidlign killing bonus youll find zeus hoplites killing tc's and towers all the time. The extra speed helps them close in faster and lose less men. This combined with faster reinforcements make it hard to stop a hoplite rusher.

1f There are bound to be battles that you realize you dont want to fight at the last minute. The extra speed not only allows you to run away to the safety of your base faster it also means that only cavalry can catch you most of the time. And guess what hoplites counter cavalry. The same goes for what i call hoplite raiding. It is performed when you run in and take down a buildign or tow then when his army comes up you run away. The greatness in this lies in that this bonus means that only the units that hops counter can catch them whiel they run away.

2 2x multiplier vs buildings
This is a pretty straightforward bonus but is IMO one of the best bonuses in teh game. Its an offensive bonus which means that you have to be offensive to use it which is what you want. Basically it means that a buildign that could have taken 30 sec to take down takes only 15 sec now. When you are talking about a decent length of time the greatness of this is realized. If you surprise attack his base and his units will take 45 seconds to arrive back at his base you can take down three decently armored buidlings whereas a non zeus hoplite army would only take down one and slgihtly damage another. When talking about a lot of hops this again is made better. You can seriously (i have done it) raze a whole base while your opponent gets his army back. This bonus also gives you one fareaching head up against your enemy. You have siege in classical. Other civs need to go to heroic to do that during which time your army will raze his base. With seige earlier thaere is almost no reason to go to heroic wherease your opponent cant compete offensively with you on the same level unless he goes heroic. This is 1300 less resources and 1 min idle tc time. Youd really have to slack off on your eco to have the same eco he does at this point. There are a few strats that utilize this bonus to its fullest

2a Hoplite Rush
This involves getting to classical before 5 min. This is done by putting almost no vils on gold then once you get to classical making all your new vils go to gold. You then pump out hops. Once you have ten you start to raze his base. The first thing you take out are resource dropoffs (only vs greek and eggy), then you take out his military buildings. After that you take out his houses so that he'll have no chance of getting an army an time soon because hed have to remake the military buildings and the houses. Then you take down his temple. At that point you go on and take out his tc. Its a good idea to upgrade you hops to medium hops once you have ten of them. Also for this its best to go athena. This is not for the techs although if the game drags on they will be useful but its for restoration. With a small amount of people it will be very good to have an instant healing so that he cant just whittle your army away with tower and tc fire as well as the small amount of units he may field. If the rush fails go heroic whip out your petroboli and hydras use bronze and watch his base fall.
Best uses vs atties, norse, and greeks
COUNTER: pump out hard counters to the hoplite early. i.e. make throwing axemen, axemen etc. They can rape hops but of course if the zeus player chooses another strat youre at a loss
COUNTER TO THE COUTNER: Go hermes and get cents. Raid wood vs norse to stop him from making a considerable amount of ta. if you are taking out his buildings he'll be short of wood anyways so he'll be forced to make units that the hop beats cost and pop effectively. Also cents are very good vs hard counters to infantry because they wont have much peirce armor, so use your cents in battle if you are faced with anti infantry. Basically raid the resource that the counter uses most and use your cents in battle as much as possible.

2b Centaur Strangle
This is a well known strat where you immediatley make a few cents once you hit classical and raid the enemy to hell with them. You may be saying well what do hops have to do with this. Well ill tell you. You go to classical a bit later so you have the danger that the enemy may attack before you do. Having a few hops at your base will stop any cav raiders. Then once your cents have done enough damage run in there with a good 20-30 hops and finish him off. Use ceasefire to cancel any gp's he may try and use on you.
Best used vs eggy because they are hard to rush but good to raid effectively.
COUNTER Make heroes and use your free mu if you play in titans to kill the cents. Generally the only counter to this strat is to hit him early
COUNTER TO THE COUNTER bolt his free mu or his hero if hes greek. If you have a problem with heroes split your cnets into groups making it harder for the heroes to be everywhere.

2c Hoplite Strangle
Get to classical reasonably early (5:15) with hermes. If you are rushed or heavily raided use ceasefire, otherwise pump out two cents and raid him a lot. As you are doing that build up a force of 10 hops. Then just proceed to hit and run his buildings and using your decent speed to run away from his army. Keep reinforcing your army and intensifying your attacks. Basically he cant build up at all because you are taking out his buildigns at such an fast and unstoppable speed. With this strat it would be a good idea to have some tox in your army to take out infantry counters when you finally do battle your opponents (hopefuly when he has almost no buildings).
Best used vs any civ but maybe less so vs eggy
COUNTER make a large army and attack his base razing it ot hell giving him some of his own medicine. also make axemen
COUNTER TO THE COUNTER leave some tox behind to deal with any surprise attacks while your army gets back there. Take your cents one periodical raids of his axemen who have little pierce armor.

2d Fast Mythic
Basically get to mythic in 10-13 minutes leaving some hops to defend against raids and upgrading your towers and generally being defensive (USE CEASEFIRE!!!!!!) Once you get to mythic use your extra gps to turn the tide of the game then fully upgrade your hops. Fully upgraded hops are incredible. Obvioulsy make myrmidons as well but they probably wont be your main unit do to the fact that hops use a medium amount of two resources meaning that htey drain neither.
best against eggy
COUNTER: Rush them early while raiding their wood to stop them from getting towers.
COUNTER TO THE COUNTER use ceasefire to its fullest and have multiple wood operations to keep up the flow.

2e Minotaur-tox army
Make a load of minotaurs as a meatshield for your tox army. Obviously this has little to do with hops but i find it useful to leave them behind to deal with cav raiders

As you can see Zeus hops are truly great units that should be utilized much more.

NOTE I realize that this topic seems to say to make only hops all the time. I only support that in a hoplite rush where you cant afford to make another military buidling otherwise its good to make some tox as well.

[This message has been edited by lessthanjakeman9 (edited 04-15-2004 @ 03:29 PM).]

Replies:
posted 13 April 2004 07:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
posted 13 April 2004 07:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Very informative, thanks.

Just on principle, I want to thank you for not naming this thread "A Guide to the Hoplite"...

posted 13 April 2004 08:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
Something that most ppl dont know is that zeus hoplites are exactly as effective as destroyers(pop efficiency) when it comes to building razing. For example 2 destroyers kill a building as fast(very slightly faster, around 5% faster) as 3 hoplites. And obviously hoplites dont get countered by villagers or other seige counters. This makes them ideal for late game hoplite rushes to enemy tcs/houses.

I believe this game demonstrates how uber annoying hoplite rushes are late game. You need to be registed on the eX forums btw to dl it. Its Hope vs Miyamoto and lasts 70+ mins. Very nice game.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

posted 14 April 2004 04:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
Pretty good guide. I play quite a bit of Zeus so even though there wasn't a ton I didn't know, it's nice to have the exact numbers
BTW Hops are 50 food and gold, not wood

Quote:

Here are the stats for a Zeus hoplite with no upgrades
Cost: 50 food 40 wood

Wanna hear someone smart talking? Well, you're at the wronger poster...
posted 14 April 2004 04:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
hoplite TC raid!
posted 14 April 2004 04:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
BAHHHHHH i swear to god that i edited that wood thing yesterday ah well.
posted 14 April 2004 05:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Love the spotlight put on the hoplite here, it's a truly under-appreciated unit, and One of my most hated to see on the battlefield...
posted 14 April 2004 05:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
Hoplites are the best! This guide is VERY well done, if you get flamed for this, the world has gone crazy!!!!

Proud member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Tok
Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
posted 14 April 2004 06:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Speaking of minos and tox, I just won a rated game at 1950 with it
posted 15 April 2004 09:57 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
The only unit to counter Hoplites as Egypt is the Axeman, Chariots don't do too well because Camel/Elephant Meatshields fall too quickly, although Ra-Osiris Camels are decent provided you have more Chariots than normal...

Hoplites get a +100% Damage vs Buildings Multiplier, not 1.5x.....

posted 15 April 2004 10:04 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
hoplites suck and this guide sucks(j/k)

the hope rush is not new, i have been doing since i first began playing zeus which was a long time ago, it just make sense. there speed and there cheap compared to other greek early units, they are capable of being massed fast cause they build fast.

imagine the infantry faster build time relic, anatolia (for fishing), relic for hoplite to have more attack yeah i had a game like that 2-3 weeks ago

sweet!!

But just as the smoke cleared, a red cloak of silk burnt and battle worn blew past the fire, and from the buring embers of the catapault Sir Grayhorn emerged, Jalmal's Bain still strongly grasped in his right hand and his kite shield lined with steel pierced with arrows held high in his left. The hero had endured.
posted 15 April 2004 01:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  

Quoted from Flank:

Speaking of minos and tox, I just won a rated game at 1950 with it

Is the recording posted somewhere ??

I would just love to see it

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
posted 15 April 2004 03:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  

Quote:

Hoplites get a +100% Damage vs Buildings Multiplier, not 1.5x.....

yeah i didnt look at any other guides for this and my memory did me a diservice (havent played this game since like july).
well its fixed now.

posted 16 April 2004 12:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
posted 16 April 2004 01:05 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
You're the Man

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
posted 16 April 2004 02:06 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
hey, um...what god path strengthens the Hoplite the best? I know the Hoplite is a very good infantry unit, but take a look at the other infantry units who have like 3 minor gods upgrading them i.e. the Ulfsark. (edit: mistakenly said the Hersir)

Nice guide though, the Zeus Hoplite wouldn't need seige in some cases after all huh?

[This message has been edited by Amon_Ra121 (edited 04-16-2004 @ 02:07 PM).]

posted 16 April 2004 02:54 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
Athena, Dyonysus, Hera...

Use lightning storm on his army, then put on ur bronze and attack his base... 20 seconds after your attack you can use your Restoration, while saving the bolt for some unit like SoO... man that combo i did some days ago totally owned my opponent in no time...

AOE3 @ SM4RTASS

Dominating with: The French
HC: Le Moule
Explorer: Ze Chauvenist

posted 13 May 2004 08:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
Nice thread, very useful for me as a beginning Zeus player. I only have one question, and that is about your testing.

In the testing were the opposing toxes focus firing? Because if they weren't then the information could be very inaccurate as to the number of surviving hoplites, as focus firing is very powerful and just about anybody who uses ranged units does it.

And here I stand, happy to have composed yet another non-contributing post

ESO NAME: Tireseas
I play Greek to the death! Not by choice, understand, thats just how the games seem to play out...

posted 14 May 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
wow this was a long time ago. I dont know if i had them focus fire or not. However it doesnt matter since the results would still show that hops with greater speed kill archers much better, its just that overall the hoplite may do worse against the toxote with focus fire.
posted 14 May 2004 08:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Just read it
good guide, I would rather play THOR though
posted 15 May 2004 02:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23  

Quote:

good guide, I would rather play THOR though

then why post here
posted 16 May 2004 01:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
Added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 16 May 2004 02:42 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
Nice guide, I truly appreciate the facts and the infos. By the way, I razed a town center just by 15 or less hoplites, hee hee, the guy resigned right away. I built 2 barracks and pump out hoplites non-stop. I also add in 2-3 cents, like jake said. They really hep out against the axes. I am serious considering switching back to zues now.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Utilizing the Zeus Hoplite
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames