Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to the... hoplite?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 24 April 2004 04:30 AM EDT (US)   
This guide will be about the Hoplite. It is the standard "mainline" unit in AoM. It is in the Greek civilization, which is the only one which is (nearly directly) diversed from AoK and AoC (Age of Kings (AoE II) and expansion pack Age of Conquestors). It is the Milita, Men-at-Arms, Long Swordman, Two-Handed Swordsman, or the Champion. But enough of that. The Greek Hoplite is meant to be the toughest standard infantry in the game, but since the Titans the rules on that have changed. I'll get back to that.

Stats

Please make sure you have a pillow ready, in case you are going to faint, becouse I done quite a lot of reseach on Hoplite stats, here they are.

Standard Hoplite :
115 HP
34% Hack Armor
15% Pierce Armor
8 Attack

Standard Hoplite, Copper upgrades :
115 HP
41% Hack Armor
23% Pierce Armore
9 Attack

Standard Hoplite, Bronze upgrades :
115 HP
47% Hack Armor
31% Pierce Armor
10 Attack

Standard Hoplite, Iron upgrades :
115 HP
52% Hack Armor
38% Pierce Armore
10 Attack (HEY!)
^
notice the 10 attack. This is not to tease people or something. But all Armory upgrades do 0.7+ attack, so at a certain point it stops (8+0.7+0.7+0.7=10.1)

HP with Bacchanalia : 120

Medium Hoplite :
126 HP
34% Hack Armor
15% Pierce Armor
9 attack

Medium Hoplite, Copper upgrades :
126 HP
41% Hack Armor
23% Pierce Armore
10 Attack

Medium Hoplite, Bronze upgrades :
126 HP
47% Hack Armor
31% Pierce Armor
10 attack

Medium Hoplite, Iron upgrades :
126 HP
52% Hack Armor
38% Pierce Armor
11 Attack

HP with Bacchanalia : 132

Heavy Hoplite :
143 HP
34% Hack Armor
15% Pierce Armor
10 Attack

Heavy Hoplite, Copper upgrades :
143 HP
41% Hack Armor
23% Pierce Armor
10 Attack

Heavy Hoplite, Bronze upgrades :
143 HP
47% Hack Armor
31% Pierce Armor
11 Attack

Heavy Hoplite, Iron upgrades :
143 HP
52% Hack Armor
38% Pierce Armor
12 Attack

HP with Bacchanalia : 149

Champion Hoplite :
166 HP
34% Hack Armor
15% Pierce Armor
10 Attack

Champion Hoplite, Copper upgrades :
166 HP
41% Hack Armor
23% Pierce Armor
11 Attack

Champion Hoplite, Bronze upgrades :
166 HP
47% Hack Armor
31% Pierce Armor
12 Attack

Champion Hoplite, Iron upgrades :
166 HP
52% Hack Armor
38% Pierce Armor
13 Attack

Hp with Bacchanalia : 172

When you upgrade Hoplites with Sarissa and Aegis shield you get (i will just list the armory upgrades, not the whole list of Medium, Heavy, Champion)

Sarissa + Aegis Shield :
41% Hack Armor
23% Pierce Armor

Sarissa + Aegis Shield + Copper :
47% Hack Armor
31% Pierce Armor

Sarissa + Aegis Shield + Bronze :
52% Hack Armor
38% Pierce Armor

Sarissa + Aegis Shield + Iron :
57% Hack Armor
44% Pierce Armor

Normal Hoplite speed : 4.20
Zeus Hoplite speed : 4.70
Hoplite cost : 50 food, 40 Gold
Hoplite training time : 14 seconds.
Hoplite line of sight : 16 range

How strange it may seem, as noted in the info about Hoplites ingame : Hoplite (pop 2). Infantry. Good Against cavalry.
Hops nearly die to the medium-strenghted Raiding Cavalry, where the (MUCH MUCH weaker) spearman beats it up completely. In tests it is shown that Hoplites do not have bonus damage vs cavalry, and if they do have, it turns out to be VERY insignificant.

Unit Tests

5 Hoplites vs 5 Hippikon :
Hippikon win, remain with 15 health.
(I did the same thing with 5 spears vs 5 hippikon, the spears lost, but hippikon had only 2 or 3 health left)

5 Hoplites vs 5 Spearmen :
Hoplites win (duh) with 46 health left.

5 Hoplites vs 5 Murmillio :
Hoplites win, BUT have 6 health left. This is what I talked about, since the Expansion, the whole balance the game had (Greek Strong, but Costly, hard to swarm, Norse Huge Attack, low armor, medium cost, Eggy Low attack, low pierce but a quite high hack armor, cheap and easy to swarm). Now Atties get HUGY economy, cheaper units than Greek, while i think they are just as strong (maybe some excpetions, i.e. stronger or weaker) so the whole thing about Greek having strong units has been wiped off the chart becouse of Atties

5 Hoplites vs 5 Ulfsarks :
Hoplites win, with an astonishing 51 health. standard Ulf attack = 9, compared to 34% hack armor... i conclude that Hoplites are for one part best vs Norse, as we will see in the test after Raiding cavalry.

5 Hoplites vs 5 Raiding Cavalry :
Hoplites win, 30 health left.

COUNTERS :

5 Hoplites vs 5 Axemen
Hoplites lose, Axemen 27 health left. This is very bad for Greeks, coz this is one of the hardest counter available in Classical. Becouse Axemen start out with 70 health, it means they lost just over half of their life. This is a pain in the butt for Greeks who think they can 0wn Eggies becouse of their weaker units.

5 Hoplites vs 5 Hyphasist :
Hoplites lose of course, Hyphasist survive with 45 health. Not much to say.

5 Hoplites vs 5 Throwing Axemen :
Hoplites o_O WIN O_o with 20 health left. This means that Hoplites win of any Norse Mainline unit. I'll tell more when I add all things up.

MISC

6 Hoplites vs 4 Hippikon :
Hoplites win, BUT they only have a small amount of health left. Becouse it is 4 vs 6, not all hoplites could be attacked. But i calculated the average (adding all health of 6 hops together, and divided it by 6), and they had an average of 12 health left. This indicated again, that even in greater numbers, they barely win.

5 Uber-Hoplites vs 5 Uber-Ulfsarks (Thor)
The Hoplites lose due to the Ulfsark's great attack (Ulfsark stats : 58% Hack Armor, 40% Pierce Armor, 16 Attack, 148 Health (Uber-Hoplite = 57% Hack Armor, so there is an insignificant difference) with all Bragi, Forseti and Tyr techs + Thor Armory). But the Ulfsarks have only (hold on to yourself) 7 health left... Also, I did some calculations :

Hoplite attack base - Ulfsark hack armor : 0.42 X 13 = 5.46, Ulfsark health DIVIDED by Hoplite base attack = 27.1 (so the Hoplite would kill the Ulfsark in 27.1 seconds if the Ulfsark didnt fight back)
Ulfsark attack base - Hoplite hack armor : 0.43 X 16 = 6.88, Hoplite health DIVIDED by Ulfsark base attack = 24.1 (so the Ulfsark would kill the Hoplite in 24.1 seconds if the Hoplite didn't fight back)

What above says is, that there would be a 3 seconds difference in killing eachother. Thus meaning 3 strikes. If the Ulfsark would kill the Hoplite according to calculations, it should have 28 health left. But in the tests (performed 4 times) it had 7 health left, I have no idea what causes this, maybe becouse Hoplites should beat all Norse units (or nearly with exception of Thor) or maybe its a bug. But be aware : this test has been done WITHOUT Bacchanalia. The Ulfsark strikes at 6.88 per second, so it would make a difference of one strike. And the strike of a Hoplite = 5.46

Hoplite Bacchanalia health DIVIDED by Ulfsark base attack = EXACTLY 25
So now there is only 2 seconds difference instead of 3 seconds difference from Hoplite and Ulfsark in killing eachother. Well if you calculate that extra attack by Hoplite done on the Ulfsark in the vital second... this would round the health of an Ulfsark after a fight up to 1.

QED
So... Uber-Hoplite + Bacchanalia vs Uber-Ulfsark (Thor) is even. While according to the stats this is IMPOSSIBLE. I will leave the case there (sorry for those who arent so good at maths... but this is the only way to explain it)

Some Notes

Hoplites are in my opinion one of the most twisted units in the game, while they ARE essentialy the most standard (diverted from AOE II). They do not seem to have a bonus attack vs cavalry, they beat one of their counters (the test was that the Hops stood at about 8 range distance from the Throwing Axemen, so they have to walk). And they have been inbalanced from their position becouse of the Expansion.

I only used Athena upgrades becouse if u play Hops, u play Zeus. If you use Possy or Shade-guy, you usually choose the way the god focuses on. With Hades you DO use Ares, but thats just for his bow. and with Possy you go hermer for spirited charge.

Most people find that the Zeus bonus for hoplite speed is insignificant. I do not. If you are walking to a Fortress, Migdol, Palace, Hill Fort, Watch Tower that does not have boiling oil, it puts you into an advantage against Hades or Possy. If you attack from lets say, on side of the map to another, and theres nothing between you and a Fortress, well, the calculation is that with Zeus speed it gets an average of 3 shots less. With Possy, 3 out of 10 Hops died before reaching Fortress, with Zeus, they had mere scratches, becouse more speed = less accuracy for arrows. And then theres Zeus' bonus for more damage to buildings. This in combo with the speed makes it a good TC killer, becouse the TC misses its first shots at Hoplites, and fires less, until they go and fight the TC.

How to use, and how to advance

I know most Zeus players pick Hermes, but for the strongest Hoplites, that can hold longer vs a TC (Sarissa and Aegis shield can decide a battle)Athena is a MUST.

As for Heroic, there isn't much difference, but i go Dionysus for Bacchanalia, and a very good gp for all that is needed for Zeus to kill TCs (EXTRA SPEED + BONUS DAMAGE + AEGIS SHIELD + BACCHANALIA + BRONZE = UBER BUILDING KILLER) But mostly when I attack early on, I am low on resources and Favor (Minotaurs + Zeus Hops + Hydra = 0wnage) so I choose Apollo

The 3rd age i usually go Hephaestus, becosue he gets Plenty (I love that GP), he gets a Super building killer (HINT HINT) Myth unit, and he gets some hell Mymidions (18 ATTACK!!). Combine those Myrmidions with Hoplites, and it's gg.

Usage is very important here. I would not use Hops vs Atties, they are uber-danger to Hops. They are the most imbalancement in the whole Hoplite thing. 1 Murmillio + 1 Cheiro kill 4 Hoplites.. (tested). On Eggy is OK, but i would use them as a meatshield and a slinger-killer (extra speed) and let your Toxotes kill those low pierced (5%) little naughty axemen. Spears are no worry.

Now lets come to what Hoplites are made for. NORSE KILLING. Norse do only have 1st Tower upgrade, weak hillforts, weaker buildings, and all their units 1v1 get beaten (I also did a 5v5 Hoplites- Jarl, with and without upgrades, and without the hoplites lost, and with bronze upgrades it was even. Either Jarls won with 1 or 2 health left, or Hops win with 1 or 2 health left, and Hoplites slaughter Huskarls with ease). Well, Weaker Buildings + Bonus attack = gg.

Vs Greek, you're in a pretty bad fix there. If you are vs Zeus, well its even game and its just a rce for who can get his upgrades fastest. With Hades, hes just gonna shade spam u (hehe), or what is common : Hyphasist + Toxotes and then ur dead. Possy is quite ease, if you manage to keep stables down. Becouse of cheaper cavalry, he can make a lot more, so keep them down, or it will be a Mars Attacks scene.

Conclusion (for those who are too lazy to read)

Well, Hoplites are with a lot of exceptions, still the standard mainline unit. It does not get what it is made for (Bonus attack vs Horses), and it can even kill one of his counters, even if it has to walk. They have been enourmously weakened by the X-pack etc. etc. etc. They die to what is meant to be the weakest civ (Eggy) in equal numbers, or nearly in equal numbers. The good thing is, that with the best Hoplite god path Athena + Dionysus + Hephaestus you get the best Myth unit path (for building killing, but they are strong as they are). Minotaurs are excellent in battles, but medium vs buildings. Hydra.. lol, i always kill his huntables on a hunting map with it to grow heads before I attack. and Collosus... he just knocks buildings down with a feather :P.

Oh yeah, one tip. Use a Pegusus to fly about 15 range in front of attacking Hoplites, to see any counters. If there are you have to get your Minotaurs you are carrying with you to them, and kill. Then your hoplites can move on. It can make the difference between 4 or 5 Hoplites. Which can make the difference between killing a TC or not.

Well... this is it. Will you all please give your opinion, and correct any mistakes? If anyone has done some tests of his own, tell them and i will add them to the guide.

E_S_O_is_dumb

[This message has been edited by WILHELM_II (edited 04-24-2004 @ 03:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 24 April 2004 04:48 AM EDT (US)     1 / 33  

Quoted from WILHELM_II:

5 Hoplites vs 5 Hippikon :
Hippikon win, remain with 15 health.
(I did the same thing with 5 spears vs 5 hippikon, the spears lost, but hippikon had

i intend to read this all... but since you made a mistake here... hippikons cost 3 pop slot.. not a pop wise test...

this is the reason why i did not read this all..

ESO Name : ZeusThorOranos - Supremacy Ratings - Death Match Ratings
ESO Name : chopstick - Supremacy Ratings - Death Match Ratings
LoH the suckiest Clan you can ever join...
posted 24 April 2004 05:02 AM EDT (US)     2 / 33  
Not a pop-wise test, true. But still, this is a damn good guide and I thouroughly enjoyed reading it . I'm not so fond of numbers, but this is really good . THe best parts are once you reach "some Notes" and onwards .

I'm soooo considering using Zeus more ^_^. Especially since I play AoM vanilla .

posted 24 April 2004 08:25 AM EDT (US)     3 / 33  
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
5 Hoplites vs 5 Throwing Axemen :
Hoplites o_O WIN O_o with 20 health left. This means that Hoplites win of any Norse Mainline unit. I'll tell more when I add all things up.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Question: Who is dumb enough to use TAs without a good meatshield or put them behind something like a wall. That and the Norse have a nice Thor god path that can get you "uber ulfsarks" which I forget exact stats but have approximately 15 damage, better armor, but less health. So if you wanna try testing five hoplites fully upgraded with optimum god paths and the ulfsark with optimum godpath, it might help.
In general, good guide, and I plan on passing it on to my greek playing friend who can't play very well, maybe this will remedy it. I really enjoyed reading it though, and thanks for the info.

posted 24 April 2004 08:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 33  
replace the yellow colour with this: DAA520, its unreadable at the moment. ill say something else once ive read it

EDIT:

Quoted from the guide:

They die to what is meant to be the weakest civ (Eggy)

eggy are supposed to have the weakest classical units, and some of the strongest heroic ones. your guide was very in-depth, but mabe try doing some tests vs heroic units (ie. a pop-equal hop vs ele fight compared to a resource equal one). that and change the rank yellow colour , just replace "yellow" with DAA520 to make it easier on the eyes

[This message has been edited by ipso (edited 04-24-2004 @ 09:14 AM).]

posted 24 April 2004 09:40 AM EDT (US)     5 / 33  
The Pop Costs may be off a bit, making a couple tests a bit unfair, but I think this is a pretty good guide that took awhile to write! imangine if some people got together and did this for every unit... That would be a read for the true AoM addict. The fact that they dont seem to have much bonus against calvary is signifigant, because thats what they are supposed to counter. Instead it seems they counter some basic infantry and a couple basic ranged units, but only a small amount of the cavalry types.

[This message has been edited by Grey_Aura (edited 04-24-2004 @ 09:43 AM).]

posted 24 April 2004 09:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 33  
some times units have a minus multiplier vs their counters. also, spearmen only have a 1.1x multiplyer, so the reason hop's get whooped is most probably to do with armour etc.
posted 24 April 2004 10:32 AM EDT (US)     7 / 33  
Added to the list.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 24 April 2004 10:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 33  
Please read over your guide and change some of the colored font. Some of it is quite hard to read. I had to highlight the yellow to be able to make it out without giving myself a headache.

Life does not treat you fairly or unfairly. It merely is. It is up to each of us to be fair or unfair.
posted 24 April 2004 12:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 33  
hops do counter hips, no question

I'd suggest you do a test of hops vs hipps with a set amount of econ to spend on either unit (cost-effective test)

also you'll get inacurate results with low numbers. (IE TA also counter hops with sufficent numbers and meat shield). So do a test with 10 hops vs ? hips, where the question mark is the number of hips that 10 hops cost.

[This message has been edited by PrtN_lummir (edited 04-24-2004 @ 12:10 PM).]

posted 24 April 2004 12:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 33  
PrtN.

The cost doesnt matter, its the pop that counts.
Becouse if you'd do everything on cost, then titan would be OP.

But when you do it popwise its fair, becouse the max pop is 300, and the max recources does not exist or is too high to get in a normal game.. and btw, hops are not just strong units that can beat anything, they need numbers, so you need good econ. Good exon means constant recources. The only way for people with hips to counter hops is to have a good economy too. You shouldn't judge on economy wise things (i.e. cost), becouse if we do that, we can just as well say that an 1800 PLayer Hop is massively OP, while the Hop of a 1500 Player is massively UP.

Its pop that counts (obviously you do not read guides, the MUST for a guide to units is to have popwise in it at least once.) also, lemme give you an example

Imagine :
UNIT X takes 2 Pop, costs 100 food, 100 Gold

UNIT Y takes 1 Pop costs 125 Food 100 Gold.

If we do popwise, (2 Y's vs 1 X) it means that both have the same pop slowts taken up, an means i't should be even in some way. If you calculate cost in turn... it would be about 0.75 pop vs 2 pop, which would mean that Y is outnumber a bit more than 2 times, which would mean the test was unfair..

Look in my guide : 5 hops vs 5 hips, to look how well hops do vs hips, and 6 hops vs 4 hips, to see how they do in comparison to pop, and they nearly EVEN the hips. Which should mean they are about as strong per pop. (6 hops have a certain battle value in amount of pop (12) and 4 hippikon (12 pop) have nearly the exact same battle value. Which means there is balance between the two)

I hope you understand it, if you do not, you better start diguring out how AoM balancing works, at least not on recources (im talking of battle, not the ABILITY to make units)

EDIT:

Im sorry, but i meant to say that if you go with the recource part, you get wrong calculations. Becouse I once stated, that if you do recource tests, then titans would be too cheap... Becouse 3 Sphinxes cost 3X 120F 3X 20 Fav = 360 F and 60 favor. Their food amount is almost near half of Titan food cost and favor more than a titans favor. While a Titan can beat a LOT more than 3 Sphinxes. I made a cost calculation, with ALL possible typed of units, fron all civs. And in all different tests, i ended aroung 2500 Food, 1000 Wood and 6000 Gold and 120 favor(Including upgrades). If you'd take this into account... the titan would cost this amount, which is nearly impossible to get in a regular game unless u got about 120+ villies.

My post was not meant to crack you off, just to tell you that a recource could work right, but recource tests are bendable (when i do the test with Poseidon as enemy cavalry, or with Zeus as enemy cavalry, there is quite a difference) where pop is a fexed rate.

and ipso, I am now a fond Ra player for some time and I am ashamed if I do not at least have all houses, a forwars base with TC and all my pop filled up for units... I have been Zeus and it has been the same case : You need pop limit reached, or else space is wasted, you need to attack with FULL force... or did you mean 300 pop limit by Classical? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Any further tips would come in handy

btw PrtN, if you are so sure that Hoplites counter cavalry, go and test for yourself, I've done numerous of tests, and all of them were negative, as I stated here, and I'm 99% sure that Hoplites do not counter cavalry, becouse :
Battle shows so
Stats show so
I just showed you

FAC ID

[This message has been edited by WILHELM_II (edited 04-30-2004 @ 04:24 AM).]

posted 24 April 2004 01:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 33  
youve just undermined some the good work you did in that guide IMO.

1. resource-wise is based on players of equal skill, so yes it matters

2. the point of doing a res. wise test is to compare it to a pop-wise test. using your logic, you shouldnt need to do a pop-wise test because no one should reach pop limit in classic, which is what your guide centers on.

3. you made the yellow bit purple. j/k

all you need to do is think more carefully. when you put all the time into the guide it came out fine, but listen to other peoples suggestions, or give a well thought answer if you choose to ignore it. theyre not saying it to annoy you.

posted 24 April 2004 03:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 33  
Very good guide, now i know more about hopilites since I have switched to Zeus

~RaZyCaY~

I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous Everyone hasn't met me yet

posted 24 April 2004 06:08 PM EDT (US)     13 / 33  
Good work, try microing the throwing axemen.

ESO nick: NerVe_Pierce
Proud member of NerVe Clan
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
posted 24 April 2004 06:22 PM EDT (US)     14 / 33  
leave him alone i tought it was a dam good guide..
no matter how good a guide is you still flam him

WILHELM_II
it was a great guide
i thought it was gunna be a
(love that smily)
i loved this guide it was the coolest guide ever

Quote:

So... Uber-Hoplite + Bacchanalia vs Uber-Ulfsark (Thor) is even. While according to the stats this is IMPOSSIBLE. I will leave the case there (sorry for those who arent so good at maths... but this is the only way to explain it)

can you plz explain i'm no good at maths

(¯`·.¸¸.·>§σŕçęŕõŕ øƒ Σŕεbùś<·.¸¸.·´¯)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest

[This message has been edited by Sorceror_Erebus (edited 04-24-2004 @ 06:24 PM).]

posted 25 April 2004 05:02 AM EDT (US)     15 / 33  
well, the ulfsark has 58% hack armor right? And the Hoplite has imagine 100 attack
well if something is minus 58%, you have to multiply it with 0.42 (100%-58%=42%) and thus the Hoplite attack will be 42 (0.42 multiplied by 100) Well if the Ulfsark has 420 health... it would take EXACTLY 10 seconds to kill the ulfsark... you understand now? (10 seconds = 420 health DIVIDED by 42 attack per second)

Thanks for all the positive comments

FAC ID

[This message has been edited by WILHELM_II (edited 04-25-2004 @ 05:04 AM).]

posted 25 April 2004 05:20 AM EDT (US)     16 / 33  
Ok, so you say hoplites don't beat hippikons pop effective. Well, I tried myself and guess what... they do.

I had 10 hippikons = 10x3=30 pop. Devide the pop through 2 = 15 hoplites. 15 hoplites vs. 10 hippikons= massacre. I didn't micro anything, the hops won with 13 units left, with only 2 units badly wounded, 5 units half HP and the rest full to almost full HP. Thus, Hoplites do beat Hippikons pop effective.

Doing a 1 vs 1 (what isn't recommended), shows the hippikon beat the hoplite with 21 HP left out of 150.

NOTE: These tests were without any upgrades.

The cost is a lot harder. The best would be to calculate it by villager seconds, but I'm too lazy to do that. Looking purely at the cost: Hoplites cost 50 food and 40 gold. Hippikons cost 70 food and 40 gold. Devide Hoplite by 2 and Hippikon by 3, you get 25 food and 20 gold per pop slot for Hoplite, and 23,3 food and 13,3 gold per pop. This shows that Hippikons are cheaper per pop slot, but are they better? If you do the food cost and gold cost of hoplites times 10, you'd get 500+400 food and gold. Devide 500 through 70, and you'll get something like 7,14 for food and 10 for gold (they have the same gold cost). If you take the avarage 7+10:2=8,5=9, that'll be the next test.

I did the test trice to check if it was true what I saw. 10 hoplites defeated 9 hippikons. 2x I had 6 hoplites left, and 1 time I had 7 hoplites left, with almost the half badly wounded. Does this mean hoplites beat Hippikons pop and cost effective? I'd say yes.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

PS. I have taken screenies, I can upload them if you want

PPS. I think I will also write a guide as well to some unit, and then I'll show you more then dull tests like 1 ulfsark vs. 1 hoplite.

PPPS. Also, forget mentioning the Titan. It's a wrong unit to compare. A Titan kills any unit pop and cost effective.

[This message has been edited by FlY1nG_DuTchMaN (edited 04-25-2004 @ 05:24 AM).]

posted 25 April 2004 06:35 AM EDT (US)     17 / 33  
Flying Dutch, do you really think I only did the tests I meantioned? let me make a list of al Hipp tests that were to do with hoplites :

20 Hips vs 30 Hoplites
Micro with hips : hips dead, about 14 hoplites survived with an average of 65 health
Non-Micro with hips : hips died, 23 hoplites survived with an average of 80 health each
Micro with Hoplites : Hips died, an amazing 27 Hops survived and they all had very low damage
Non-Micro with hoplites : Hips died 17 hops survived with an average of 50 health each
Micro with hips and micro with hops : Hips died... 16 hops survived with an average of 90 health left each

20 Hips vs 30 spears
Micro with hips : Hips barely win, only 2 left (in the 2nd test 4 left, and in the 3rd test 3 left) and very low health
Non-Micro with hips : hips got slaughtered, 4 spears left with average health (this is amazing, when you think that spears have 40% hack defense, hips 10 attack and spears only have 70 health, this clearly indicates that spears have more attack bonus vs Hips than hops, the hoplites did survive with lots more, but then again, they got 45 more health than spears..)
Micro with spears : hips died completely, 21 spears left (in comparison, they did much better than hops, becouse they also had low damage, lets just think they werent damaged : 21 times 70 = 1470 total. When you compare to hoplitss : 27 times 115 =3105. What this says, that units that in total have HALF the health of a hoplite total, perform nearly just as good vs cavalry)
Non-Micro with spears : Spears die, 5 hips left with pretty high health
Micro with Spears, Micro with Hips : Hips die to the spears, 7 survived with near full health.

15 Spears + 15 Hoplites vs 20 Hippikon
Hipp Micro : Hips die, 2 spears, 3 hops survived
Non-micro hipp : hips die, with 12 spears left, 14 hops
Micro Inf : hips die, 13 spears left, no hops dead
Non-micro inf : Hips die 4 spears 4 hops left
Both micro : hips die, 10 spears, 12 hops let.

20 spears + 10 hoplites vs 20 hippikon
Hipp micro : hips die, 3 spears, 0 hops left
Non-micro hipp : hips die, 6 spears left, 3 hops
Micro inf : hipps die, 16 spears left 6 hoplites
Non-micro inf : hips die 3 spears, 2 hops left
Both micor : hips die, 1 spear left 8 hops (this appears in all tests, this is kinda weird, i tried this a couple of times, but theres always this outcome, or near this)

There you go, I have also done these tests on a 6 vs 4 basis after i got noticed on the pop things. Oh and btw, lemme give you a link, i just found something
http://aom.heavengames.com/gameinfo/tables/units/greek
Do you see in the "OTHERS" part next to the hops, that they have a bonus vs cav? NO!

Go and tell AoMH they're wrong if you want, here's the mail : info@heavengames.com

Tell them they're wrong, I hope you get banned, you are starting to irritate me and others, first you flame Darth Persias guide, then some others, quit it.

And btw, writing a guide doesnt take just a day. Try making some uber-hoplites vs uber-ulfsark trigger Tech Stats, and see how many times you pull your hair out becouse you did one of the techs wrong. Also, you said the tests were dull, maybe you find them dull, but if I see one test, I can pick hundreds of conclusions. For example let me give you this (WARNING : THIS IS FICTIONAL) :
Let's say that we do a 5v5 Throwing axemen v Axemen.
Well, first we let them stand next to eachother before fight, the Throwing axemen get killed and the axemen survive with 15 health. The next thing we do, is make the axemen walk. Now the axemen get killed and the Ta's survive, with 4 health. Pick a conclusion :

1 : Norse should have a meatshield in general for TA, becouse there is difference.
2 : Norse should watch that they have a better meatshield vs eggy than other civs becouse their TA's get slaughtered.
3 : Norse should use raiding cav as a meatshield vs eggy becouse their units are too fast.

If you pick the right conclusion, I will completely renew my guide, if you get it wrong, then you're just dumb.

Quote:

NOTE: These tests were without any upgrades.

Are you totally out of your mind? a mix of upgrades show whether units can beat others. Normal hoplites vs normal Jarls = hoplites dead. Iron normal hoplites vs Iron normal Jarls = Jarls dead. To count effectiveness for pop you have to calculate all the upgrade effectiveness and make an average.

another thing : if you go 15 hoplites vs 10 hippikon, at least moe than 4 hops should die. Hippikon do more attack, and Hoplites clearly do not counter cavalry for 'dam's sake. I did multiple tests vs Jarls, RC, Prods, Hips, Elephants, Camels, Contarius and they all show negative, AoMH says hops do not have counter. It is impossible that only 2 hops died. and in my pop-wise test of 6 hips vs 4 hops they have 12 health left as an average (there were hops with 80+ health, and those with about 5)

You forgot to make a Possy pop-recource comparison. I also did a Possy test with that, and it completely undermines your "statement"

And i did not compare completely to a titan, i made a recource-based calculation, that has nothing to do with a comparison in full force. It was to show its value. Please learn what a good and a bad guide is, becouse your arguments suck.

FAC ID
posted 25 April 2004 06:49 AM EDT (US)     18 / 33  

Quote:

Hippikons cost 70 food and 40 gold.

... They cost 40 food and 80 gold, 36 food and 72 gold if you're Poseidon. Kindly do your research next time.

Life does not treat you fairly or unfairly. It merely is. It is up to each of us to be fair or unfair.
posted 25 April 2004 06:53 AM EDT (US)     19 / 33  

Quote:

Quote:

Hippikons cost 70 food and 40 gold.

... They cost 40 food and 80 gold, 36 food and 72 gold if you're Poseidon. Kindly do your research next time.

CHEERS!

FAC ID
posted 25 April 2004 07:30 AM EDT (US)     20 / 33  
Ouch. Did something wrong there. I'll recheck. Ok I see now.
I was hoping to click Hippikon in the In Game help, but I accidently clicked the Prodomos. Good of you to say rey_yer.

Quote:

Are you totally out of your mind? a mix of upgrades show whether units can beat others. Normal hoplites vs normal Jarls = hoplites dead. Iron normal hoplites vs Iron normal Jarls = Jarls dead. To count effectiveness for pop you have to calculate all the upgrade effectiveness and make an average.

This is funny, because I compared the hoplite with a hippikon, both Greek Units, both Classical Age units, and therefore, they don't need upgrades and stuff to give a correct test.

Quote:

Do you see in the "OTHERS" part next to the hops, that they have a bonus vs cav? NO!

Where did I ever say that Hoplites have a multiplier vs. Cavalry? Never. So I don't know why you did all that unneccesary work by putting up a link and an email adress.

Quote:

Tell them they're wrong, I hope you get banned, you are starting to irritate me and others, first you flame Darth Persias guide, then some others, quit it.

Quote:

You son of a bitch pussylicked hippopussylicking wankerasshole if you give one more flame about a guide, then I will cut off your balls and stuck them in your nose, you dirty dog****er, get the **** outta here.

Seems it was you who started the flaming hm? The text was edited out before I saw it, but luckily I know some moderators who are able to bring it back.

You also say I flamed that guide. True, I said it was a crap guide and stuff, but if you read further, I gave about 2 pages of detailled suggestions.

Quote:

You forgot to make a Possy pop-recource comparison. I also did a Possy test with that, and it completely undermines your "statement"

No, I didn't forget. My math is wrong anyway, I'll edit it out, but I didn't forget about it. Did it ever come to your mind that I wasn't planning on doing a guide? I was just undermining a statement you made. I'm not going to do any more test on this, just because of you.

Quote:

And i did not compare completely to a titan, i made a recource-based calculation, that has nothing to do with a comparison in full force. It was to show its value. Please learn what a good and a bad guide is, becouse your arguments suck.

Well, I think it must be you who has to learn what a good guide is and what a bad guide is. DP's guide was bad, confirmed by many people. You say it was good.

Quote:

If you pick the right conclusion, I will completely renew my guide, if you get it wrong, then you're just dumb.

So this means that if I make a mistake, I'm dumb, but if You make a mistake, then it's just a mistake, nothing wrong? LOL

Quote:

You know what? Create a topic in Website discussions to ask for my ban. If they do, lucky you. If they don't you're dumb

And you think I'm the one who is irritating? Ok, your opinion. But since when am I irritating others? It's true I flamed DP's guide, but with a reason, and after that I gave suggestions. I don't visit any other guides except that guide, and one more time a guide of AC where I told him that I don't really like guides and why, but nowhere near a flame. Some others also mean that it's more then one. It wasn't.

Quote:

And btw, writing a guide doesnt take just a day.

DP did them in less then an hour...

I know what it takes to write a guide. You don't have to tell me.

Quote:

Also, you said the tests were dull, maybe you find them dull, but if I see one test, I can pick hundreds of conclusions.

And yet again, you're twisting facts. I never said tests are dull, I said 1 vs 1 tests are dull. And I don't think you can pick hundreds of conclusions of just that test.

Quote:

AFAIK, Possy cavalry has the same pop as normal Greek cavalry, and a 10% bonus on the cost. Yes, it did undermine my statement, because my numbers were wrong. I can tell from that bonus that Possy cavalry are more cost effective then other Greek cavalry, no need for test. If you want to know how much cost effective better, then you can also tell that from numbers: 10% better.

Ok, I should go back to my homework. Have a nice day all.

posted 25 April 2004 07:56 AM EDT (US)     21 / 33  

Quote:

Does this mean hoplites beat Hippikons pop and cost effective? I'd say yes.

actually you're saying that hoplites are the counter. Any unit that beats another unit pop-effective can be called a counter, just becouse you can counter it. But real hard-counters (axemen, hyphasist) have bonus attack. And they bend the pop-wise strength.

you have gone totally off-topic, you still harass me be putting something i never said in this topic, you said you werent gonna be banned? take a look at the banned user leonard_shelby. He got banned for what you are donig now. And if you compare pop-recource wise with possy, i never said the pop was different. By a few calculations, you can see that Possy cav do more per pop slot, as they are cheaper. But this does not state they save pop slots, they just perform better in pop/reource ratio.

Don't tell me i know nothing about guides. You want some guides? i can give you. I have on my harddics 52 AoE guides. Going from the villagers, to the priest, to the helepolis. I got a further 87 guides of AoK (imo still the best age game). With the best being a similar guide like this about the line of militia to champion.

I have never seen any guide of you, you only know how to flame, not how to make.

Please get a life.

Quote:

Quote:

So this means that if I make a mistake, I'm dumb, but if You make a mistake, then it's just a mistake, nothing wrong? LOL

lol, you're afraid to pick a conclusion

FAC ID

[This message has been edited by WILHELM_II (edited 04-25-2004 @ 08:00 AM).]

posted 25 April 2004 10:03 AM EDT (US)     22 / 33  
Leonard_Shelby had no arguments, Yohan has showed many.

If you make a sub-standard guide, don't get mad at the people for your faults. If you can't handle the pressure, quit.

Quote:

You son of a bitch pussylicked hippopussylicking wankerasshole if you give one more flame about a guide, then I will cut off your balls and stuck them in your nose, you dirty dog****er, get the **** outta here.

And yes, you will get banned if you repeat that.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 25 April 2004 10:05 AM EDT (US)     23 / 33  

Quote:

actually you're saying that hoplites are the counter.

Just because I said Hoplites beat Hippikons doesn't make me say they're hard counters. You're putting the words in my mouth again.

Quote:

you have gone totally off-topic, you still harass me be putting something i never said in this topic, you said you werent gonna be banned?

I'd actually say I'm semi-off topic, because I'm also still discussing the topic.

You are right, you did never say those swearwords in this topic, fact is that I want that other thread down so I continue in this topic about it.

Nope, I won't get banned for what I'm saying here, or have said to you.

Quote:

take a look at the banned user leonard_shelby. He got banned for what you are donig now.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if there's someone who's gonna get banned, it must be you.

Quote:

Don't tell me i know nothing about guides. You want some guides? i can give you. I have on my harddics 52 AoE guides. Going from the villagers, to the priest, to the helepolis. I got a further 87 guides of AoK (imo still the best age game). With the best being a similar guide like this about the line of militia to champion.

Talk about putting words in my mouth... I have never said you knew nothing about guides. I did say my opinion. That can mean two things: Either I am wrong, or you are wrong. It's not to one of us to decide that.

Quote:

I have never seen any guide of you, you only know how to flame, not how to make.

I have made one guide. It wasn't a good guide either, because it was semi-complete. Wanna have the url? Search here for: Guide to the Titan or something.

Quote:

Please get a life.

Sorry, already have one.

Cya all, no hard feelings

posted 25 April 2004 10:15 AM EDT (US)     24 / 33  

Quote:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if there's someone who's gonna get banned, it must be you.

For posting a guide?

Look, my point is, the first post you made on this guide was to tell that hops beat hipps in pop-recource relationship, they do. BUT barely. And what you said, i have proved is wrong. I posted about it, made examples, comments, and then u start flaming me.

and i was just gonna say what shiva said :
that text i wrote in darth's guide was removed so that it wouldnt be read, and now you bring it back.

And I am gonna stop this right now, I'm not gonna react to you again unless you put a good and honest discussion up, i do not want a damn flamewar, i want this to be about all the guide, becouse in my guide i have proven that there are several things around the hoplites that are not right :

they DO beat hipps in pop-spot, but mostly they lose, or they barely win. It is also proven, that however it is said in the game that they counter cav, several tests show they are not the effective counter, neither have they got an attack bonus.

A Bacchanalia Hop beats an Ulfsark (well it gets beaten by the ulfsark, but the ulfsark will have about 1, 2, or 3 HP left, which i call even, or beat) while the stats show that even with bacchanalia, this is not possible.

It is shown that they beat one of their hard counters (TA is a hard anti-inf counter) which should be impossible, becouse heck, thats what conuters are made for.

I have shown an add-up of reasons that hoplite are as zeus the best building-killer human unit it the whole game, even compared to the destroyer.

I will retract all the things OT in my posts as of now, and you post what you want FD, but i do NOT want a flamewar.

BTW, i will soon release a list of "bugs" on unit relationships. They are not real bugs that should be added the the bug list, but they are faults in the counter-system. I will also add some new tests concerning Hoplite-CA relationships.

FAC ID

[This message has been edited by WILHELM_II (edited 04-25-2004 @ 10:16 AM).]

posted 25 April 2004 10:16 AM EDT (US)     25 / 33  
Nice guide, but you don't need to have iron upgrades for medieum Hopolites etc. Make sure it's age appropriate!! Also, expect to be flamed.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Guide to the... hoplite?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames