You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Norse Wars Stratergy
posted 25 April 2004 06:40 AM EDT (US)   
Im not sure whether or not this should go in strategy or not because I think that stratergy is for supremecy, DM, lightening and so on, but not scenarios. Anyway to the point.

Loki bonus - +2 range every reinforcement, 2 battle boars, and 5 Arcus Heroes.
Odin bonus - +10% Hp for all cavalry, Contarius Heroes and 2 Shieldmaiden Valkyries
Thor bonus - 7 Ragnarok heroes, 12 favour

Depending on who u play at the beginning in my opinion doesn't matter. Only after about 2 reinforcements does the real force of your god show through.

At the start it is very psychological. When u think about it when u play nearly everyone goes for the Throwing Axeman
So why not go for the raider? Well when u get your units you always get ulfsarks and these are topped up champion ulfsarks which kill your raiders, however the TA do hack damage and raiders hack is quite good already, so really it is your choice. I normally avoid it unless I am Odin because half way through a fight you can get like an extra 20Hp for all raiders and that can turn the tide.
Ok so let’s go ulfsark. Well I just said nearly everyone goes TA so what the hell do you think you are doing? They will get chopped and hacked to pieces by TA. I strongly advise people not to go for ulfsark unless you are pretty sure that the enemy is going to make raiders.
Right now for the TA. I normally get about 3 TA when they are made and then send them to the edge of the middle then about 15 Ta and then head for the edge of the middle. Some idiot always goes in the middle and gets whooped by the enemies. Reason for sending 3 at the beginning:-
a) You can see what unit the enemy has got and you can change if you need to. I.e. if they have raiders change to ulfsark.
b) You can kill a unit or two with them.
c) You gain control of the healing spring (yes I no it is fairly useless but it’s very psychological. Especially newbs think that it helps them loads when in fact it will probably heal them about 2 HP (ok it helps but not loads) in a whole battle. Only in a very close battle is it really needed.

When you start attacking I advise you to put about 6 people to one hotkey and then start attacking the other units. So basically this is Norse Wars microing.

When attacking, I always use my common sense. If your ally hasn’t come yet don’t attack unless u can see that there is less people than you have got. Also continue microing people. Heroes to myths. Counters to the counterers and so on.

Once you are so many seconds into the games you get 2 lures which turn in to super guard towers (GT) have 43 attack and the normal armour and 5500HP. Often I see people put the GT’s into the middle and they will normally win the battle if it stays in the middle. However often battles go from base to base and from here to there. They hardly ever stay in one place so if you put the GT’s all in one place they have a limited place to aid you. I normally put my GT’s like this:

If you do maths you will understand about loci. Like this the range of the towers are spread out over a great distance and also one of the towers can defend you if you place it a bit back.
OK so you say when you put the two towers near to each other they do greater damage. True they do, do greater damage but like I said before is it really worth putting it in one place like that? Also if the towers are in the middle and they are next to each other 1 meteor could damage both of them greatly.

So now let’s talk about the meteor. The meteor goes off every 4 minutes. When it does it places the meteors like this normally:
1.In the exact middle
2.To the edge of the middle at the top
3.To the edge of the middle at the left
4.To the edge of the middle at the bottom
5.To the edge of the middle at the right
6.In between 2+3 but a bit further out
7.In between 3+4 but a bit further out
8.In between 4+5 but a bit further out
9.In between 5+1 but a bit further out
10.Possibly a few more but random.

I would check the timer of the meteor every so often so that when it does go off at least it doesn’t kill your whole army if it is in the middle.

Meteor done now about the reinforcements:
-2 Battle Boars/ 2 nemean lions
-5 Arcus Heroes
-+2 RANGE

To start with the battle boar is a great unit. It will walk over nearly all infantry and archers but does have a bit of trouble vs. cavalry especially jarls. Good unit and if you want to use it just micro it to an area where there are loads of units and do its special and then run elsewhere and when recharged it’ll do that kicking thing again.

5 Arcus heroes on their own aren’t great but considering the amount of myth units created in Norse Wars it is worth while to just Hotkey them to a number and try to preserve them. When you start to mass them I mean like 30 - 40 of them it does become very hard to beat them. If you have 30 - 40 of them you will have a range between 36 and 46. That on its own is very impressive. If you micro them carefully you can kill all the myths before they even get to you.

+2 Range. This is the main reason I choose Loki. All archery units get +2 range including the Throwing Axeman. So if you are playing an Odin player or Thor player you’re Throwing Axeman can have a longer range then their gastraphetes. So if that happens all you need to do is improve your pierce armour and a bit of your hack and voila, you have an uber unit. They will kill archer units and infantry units like a knife through butter and if you have some ulfsarks at your side you can then kill all cavalry units.

Now let’s take into consideration the fact that some people will improve their armour and attack. If they have good hack go archer if they have good pierce vice versa. However if you are Loki and their pierce armour is better than their hack but only marginally then it is pointless to change to infantry/cavalry because Loki is an archer God in Norse Wars.

Fighting over lets look at that island again. You have the armour people (Eitri and Brokk) the attack of Skult which is straight forward and then the myth attack of Kemsyt (I will come back to him soon).

After that you have the units being made then the God power people.
Arkantos - Lightening Storm
Kastor - Carnivora with uber HP
Amanra - Shifting sands
Ajax - Tornado

When you use these god powers is up to you but really use them appropriately. Like don’t use lightening storm if you are going to win a battle. Don’t use tornado when you have loads of units around and so on.

God power tactics - Send a unit to enemy base and shift all units to their base and then lighting storm and try to kill his hill fort.

Run a unit in Tornado and then when it finishes shit units I and go for the kill.

Loads of tactics but really it is a common sense principal.

The other units on the island

Often people make a couple of the less favour expensive units at the beginning so that they get the edge on the first battle. Really this is up to you. If you wan to then do so but otherwise just save that favour for upgrades.

Expensive units
Often when I make these it is because I have used all of my upgrades for people and therefore have a lot of excess favour. When making these units I normally keep these back until I have 3+. Why do this? Well 1 Son of Osiris (SoO) will help you out in a battle or 2. But 3+ of these are worth an army themselves. In Norse Wars they also have added HP and therefore rock loads.

All is said about them I think now about kemsyt. When using myth units you do not get favour. That is why I think it is pointless to improve them. However myth units can change the tide of any battle. Do not rely on them to do so though. Using kemsyt can be risky though because you lose out on improving human units. I have seen it before; happened to me that you improve your myth so much it is crazy. One guy improved his myth so much that his heka-gigantes had 130 attack. He shifted into my are and boom boom boom my hill fort went down.

If there is anything else that you want to add to this article please just tell me.

P.S. I think most of this is in the eyes of a Loki player
and thanks for reading it.
Finally how do u put images on

The_Mafia_Man

Replies:
posted 25 April 2004 06:57 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
You should really post things about norse wars at norsewars.com

Formerly Rider
posted 25 April 2004 11:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
Heres my norse wars strategy.

First i use up all my favor to get attack upgrades until my throwing axemen have somethign like 13-15 attack. To keep alive against better units (because theyll have more favor) i just stay at my base and every guy that comes out i tell him to go to the fight immediately. I also place my towers at the first battle.
Then i upgrade the armor of the type of attack my enemy is using. For instance if hes got massed jarls ill upgrade hack armor like mad
Then i just let my favor go up hugely quickly. Once im at 100 favor i get loads of jarls. Then every time i get in a large battle i use lightning storm.
As for meteor early on i will usually run away when i realize its gonna happen but later on when im attacking an enemy base i want to keep up the pressure so i dont run away.
With jarls that have in the 30's for attack theres really not much my opponent can do especially when i use lightning storm every battle.

This is a good strat for a few reasons. Basically i am at a disadvantage early on since my enemy will have the better units (they will also have MU's but im thor so my ragnorok heroes will kill them). Thats why i get massed throwing axemen. They have a great amount of power early on and usually half of them will aim on one unit and kill it while the other half will kill another unit. This means that im killing 2 enemy units every second. I also put the towers down right away which also takes away my disadvantage. I am sending my reinforcements in a more effective manner then my opponent which will also help me. Early on when theres 30 seconds to a meteor i will stop reinforcing my army and just run away. Most people will follow me since i will only have a small army as a consequence of not reinforcing. Then they get hit by meteor. After a while my TA will be so highly upgraded that they are equal to the enemy units, and my disadvantage is gone. At this point i let my favor soar to allow me to mass jarls. Then every battle i hit i use lightning storm. I wont run out of favor since thor gains 12 favor every reinforcement, and with the big battles you just get huge amounts of favor anyways. My jarls that usually have 50% hack armor and 32 attack from my upgrading along with a lightning storm every battle is almost impossible to beat.

posted 25 April 2004 02:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Jake i like the tactic. Not tried it before. Reckon i will have a try. By the way when are you online? cus i want to see you play. 1v1 possibly me v u. Im normally on at 4-6 GMT, London.
posted 25 April 2004 02:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
well i usually play on the weekends and sometimes on the weekdays. If i play on the weekends its usually around 1-3 pm and on the weekdays around 5pm. Since i live near washington dc thats probably somewhere between 6-9pm on weekends and liek midnight on weekdays for you.

[This message has been edited by lessthanjakeman9 (edited 04-25-2004 @ 02:50 PM).]

posted 25 April 2004 05:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
lol..damn was hoping i could have played you..never mind
posted 25 April 2004 08:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Norse wars is about micro and countering the enemies units.

My strat is pretty basic, up my armour until i have about 70% hack and pierce armour (on an ulfsark, this amour equals almost 90% hack and pierce for heroes). Then I save up for the more powerful units, use plenty of lightning storm, make surprise attacks with the deadliest GP in norse wars - shifting sands.

has anyone ever gotten to 2400 kills? what are the prises?

posted 26 April 2004 06:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
I'll add this one to the list ASAP.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 26 April 2004 04:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
cheers btw
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Norse Wars Stratergy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames