You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Gaia Rush
posted 22 May 2004 09:44 PM EDT (US)   
Well.. after trying out Gaia a while I can safely say shes the worst god in the game. Vulnerable to a lot of rushes and strats, and poor bonuses even if you manage to avoid getting butchered.

Best bet is prolly the boom, which she does nicely, but heres a strat which, although it pretty much wont work past 1650, will make you fall in love with the chubby little Goddess every time you succeed.

Gaia Tower Rush:

BO:

No econ guild for this one, it slows the advance down too much, in this strat every second counts. 3 first vills go to the fastest food source(s), while Oracles scout the enemy base. Try to find their tower placement and nearby gold mines, pref. Your 15/15 pop vill makes a manor, then cuts some wood, then goes food if foods nearby, otherwise keep chopping. You must advance early, at 21 pop. When your last vill starts her creation, move one citizen up towards the enemy base, build a temple on the way. The temple doesnt need to be all the way up the enemy´s butt, but keep it as close as you can. Click the advance button with Leto, usually before the enemy even starts the temple, and then quickly:

Shift vills around at home - 2 go to gold, one stays on fastest food source, rest chop wood, pref Gaias forest which you should have cast before.

Find the best place for a forward tower - jackpot is near the goldmine. You cant place it too closely though, and you will need to avoid the enemy LOS if you can, so pick out a spot some distance from their home.

Your forward vill should have moved up to their base. Chop some wood anywhere (no need for a dropsite..) to avoid idling, and when the advance bar reaches the ´O´ on Leto, (timing is v e r y important if you hadnt realised that ), Move up and build a MANOR.

Thats right. To avoid fighting vills, you will have to pull off a little trick. Build the manor, then as soon as youve advanced, build a tower right next to the manor and cast Gaia´s forest so that it protects your builder. Do this with the right timing and even if he notices you he wont get there in time with his vills. When youre done, you can pop in and out of the manor to get out of the enclosure. If you dont build the manor, your vill will be trapped inside the forest.

Cast spider lairs between your forward base and the tc, but not too close or they will get killed before burrowing.

At home, you should make more vills on auto-queue as soon as you can, but its not top priority now - just dont forget about it. One vill on food should provide all the chow you need. But first research watch towers.

Last thing to get the rush going good is to autoqueue automatons from the temple. They should immediately, esp the free one, get to work harassing vills or taking out an enemy tower.

Remember that norse and eggy have crappy heroes in archaic, so dont run as soon as you see a priest before hes advanced..

K so now the fun begins. Make another tower close to the first one, and just retreat into your manor if too many vills come at you. Let your tower fire protect you while you build the next tower, and then another one, etc, enclosing the enemy and denying him gold. Harass with automatons, and let them repair each other, but watch out for their annoying AI, which sometimes wont let them revive fallen brethren, and dont let them wander into hero fire, or even tc for too long.

Finish the rush off by either making more and more towers, making a counter-barracks and turma spam, or make barracks and go for the TC with murmillos/automatons.

On the surface it looks like a run of the mill tower rush like the ones in AoK, but its a lot different in reality, in that you will advance early, and have a relatively protected forward builder if you use a manor and Gaia´s forest. Automatons make a great early army also (and they are the only way you can counter myth), and even if you fail eventually you might have annoyed the enemy enough to have gained an eco advantage, or simply prevented them from doing what they really wanted to do.

Its not very powerful a strat though, but it makes a nice surprise for someone who thought you´d boom..

EDIT: I pulled of a practically perfect rush and have posted the rec here on HG as Gaia_Rush.. Download it to see how this strat can work in practice.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 05-23-2004 @ 10:08 AM).]

Replies:
posted 23 May 2004 00:07 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
I will look more into this later. In the meantime, a very unique strat.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
posted 23 May 2004 10:25 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Good ideas Johnny but they look very hard to pull off though

Let's show Norse players that we can push a lot, too

Quote:

Well.. after trying out Gaia a while I can safely say shes the worst god in the game. Vulnerable to a lot of rushes and strats, and poor bonuses even if you manage to avoid getting butchered.

Go here then.

[This message has been edited by Achmidae (edited 05-23-2004 @ 10:27 AM).]

posted 23 May 2004 11:52 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
Well youve linked to a comprehensive Gaia guide, but even the guy who wrote it says shes underpowered..

Its not that hard to do this rush however, just takes some time to get the timing right. Watch the rec and see that it can be very powerful vs an unsuspecting player..

posted 23 May 2004 12:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
...He wrote it.
posted 23 May 2004 02:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Yes, I wrote it

I know I sort of said she's underpowered, but I meant in terms of how everyone looks at her. The guide was sooort of supposed to change your thoughts on her true power.

I tried your rush today by the way, but it failed in a 2v2 I did it in. Is it more of a 1v1 strategy? Or can it be used effectively with other allies, too?

posted 23 May 2004 05:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Lol, ok, Id read it before and never paid attention to the author´s name. Its a good guide btw, but she IS underpowered. Which of her bonuses are really good? Lush? No. 5 wood cheaper fishing ships? Lol, no. Cheaper techs? Nice, but not all that great.. She doesnt get valor, which is the single most important atty GP, and she doesnt get military bonuses. Not saying shes worthless, but she really isnt good.

About the rush.. if you can double rush someone it would be great, the Gaia could focus on towers while Loki goes hersirs or so. But it works fine 1v1. Like I said though it isnt the best strat, but it can work, and its feels great when it does.. You have to practice them vs hard comps for a while though to get the timing right. Watch the rec I posted here on Heaven, it shows a successful rush.

Key points are to be very aggressive before the enemy reaches classical, and to manage to micro all the 3 things you need to - home econ, military raiders, and forward builder.

If anything it improves your microing skills

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 05-23-2004 @ 05:40 PM).]

posted 08 June 2004 08:07 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
I'll add it

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Gaia Rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames