You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Some multiplayer defence tactics
posted 18 June 2004 10:12 PM EDT (US)   
Here are some ideas for multiplayer defence tactics, some of them may be quite obvious and this isnt the most technical advice, but hopefully some of my ideas will be origional to you and worth a try.

Oranos - On 2v2 or 3v3 etc games Oranos can be used as a sort of home guard. The player would do a standard turtle; with towers spread out behind walls and rather than use sky passages offensivly, he stays home and spreads the passages around the base. Then if the town is attacked from any angle he can exit the passages and provide a quick guard against enemies, his teammates would typically go invade or less often would boom under his protection.
This strategy works best on team shared city's like megatropolis or Valley of kings - where allies can make a larger amount of towers in a smaller area and provide additional defence.
oranos's shockwave and Carnivora (Oceanus) powers are also usefull.
Hades Underworld passage can be used to similar effect - either side of your city, the disadvantage being only two entrances, the advantage however that team mates can also use the passage.

When turtling if you can afford it build the maximum amount of towers as you can. More towers = better defence.

behind towers (again if you can afford) build midgols, hill forts, fortresses and palaces. They offer additional pierce attack and can train extra units.

on shared city levels Forsetti worshipers place your healing spring around the front centre (obv behind towers) of the city where allies can get easy access.

Appollo worshipers spread some temples around the city to heal units. Aside from this they also can produce extra units. Priests, Galadria and other type healing units also spread around the city.

It's unfortunate just how many people only build one layer of walls when turtling, I normally go with at least two or three. This way if you're opponent uses GP'S like undergound
he wont get in so easily.

Be ready for seige! Have a fast moving unit ready to run out and destry seige weapons. E.g. Cavalry. When Egypt Anubites are an excellent choice; fast with a leap attack to get straight to their target, use que commands to go straight for the next seige weapon or have them return to base.

Be ready for Rocs! I find this attack harder to counter and the last thing you want is thirty war elephants inside your base. Hopefully you should have enough towers, Midgols/palaces/etc, ranged units, to drop them. I would say be ready for them if playing against Hathor(Ra/Isis)and keep an eye on the minimap, looking out for enemy bleeps. Again Egypt as example, Petsuchos spread out around your base are very effective, having great range and offering bonus damage against them.

Yet again - shared city's if you are walling its best to go with the strongest types of walls you can. You'd rather have egyptian or atlantian walls than norse ones.

Have a 'floater' villager or two to repair damaged building's.

Single captured TC's - why does everyone seem to just leave them as they are? make midgols, palaces etc next to them. Even a box of walling around a TC will give warning of attack (can you tell i like walls yet?)

More walls - even when rushing you should (if you can afford it) have a basic layer of walls around your base. what if your enemy's decided to rush as well?

use the terrain, e.g. trees will also provide defense and if they are thick enough then you can use towers elsewhere, therefore they will be more packed at other parts of youre city. Be wary Freyjas forest fire if playing norse. Gaia's forest can also be used defensivly.

Any civ can turtle, but (in my opinion) the best civs are Hades, any egypt esp Isis, any atlantian.

Isis spread your monuments out to block enemy GP'S.

Hades and Sekhmet you might want to keep sentinels and Citadel rather than just placing them straight of when you get them. They can come in usefull later on. If there are one of each worshipers of these Gods on the same team you can use both of these GP's on one TC - good for guarding a lone TC.

You can have up to two sets of sentinels on one TC.

All civs with the option to should have at least one healing unit in their army.

Of course as the saying goes the best defence is a strong offence as many believe, one way of keeping the enemy away is to attack their base.

watch out for sneak attacks - you might think youre enemy is throwing eveything at you. Of course for that single collosi attacking youre newly captured TC. Also maps such as watering hole the enemy may try to invade by ship drop offs, building a dock right on the opposite side of the river. Destroy his dock. Hades - Gastraphetes are an excellent choice, fast (compared to seige) with great range; they can normally destroy docks/ships from your own side of the river.

Thats about all i can be bothered to think of to write right now. Although probably as long, i dont consider this to be a guide in any way. Rather just my advice which i think others could benefit from. By all means please comment, criticisms/disagreements as well as others advice welcome. Just dont be rude to me or others and please dont tell me about my spelling or grammer mistakes like in other peoples posts , or tell me i could have edited this. Because i couldnt have if i wanted to make all my points.

[This message has been edited by Gomunchaturd (edited 07-04-2004 @ 11:19 AM).]

Replies:
posted 18 June 2004 10:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
nice idea, got down to the basics and nice detail descriptions

maybe your partner can boom and then ring out a titan ASAP? it sounds nice to me ( I hear in this forum that someone has his titan gate down by 10 min. while his allies are protecting him.

maybe the Oranos guy can also sneak a sky passage with a villie who can be transported by Rocs, opponents won't expect something like that.

posted 02 July 2004 01:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
I'll add it.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 02 July 2004 02:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Another good tactic to yuse w/ oranos is putting fortresses (4 or 5) behind their base and pump fire siphons or destroyers and kill a few buildings then dont run away and give away ur base instread kill as many buil;dings as possible and keep doing that
its verry effective
posted 02 July 2004 03:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
turtling is never ever a good tactic. even in multiplayer, it's always best to have ALL your allies attacking the enemy, usually each guy attacking a different enemy, although a well planned team up attack can often be really effective too, but only if the guy your not attacking is slow. You'll ALWAYS do better attacking his base, but it is a good strategy to build defensives on your front lines, a couple towers can often throw a close battle in your favor.
I've never seen a turtler win a game. Although it is fun knocking down someone's elaborate defenses. Even if they can turtle until successfully making a titan, that is still a far inferior strategy to just out right attack, I never been defeated with someone using this strategy, and I'd only consider myself an intermediate player.

Why is this so?
-when my base is being destroyed I have a real hard time destroying his base.
-the resources you need are seldom in convenient enough places that you can defend them all with turtling. - the best way you can defend your villagers if they're all spread out is to be shooting his troops right as they're coming out of his barracks, and taking out his resources so he can't make troops.

the only exception is turtling can work when fighting the computer, but not against anyone half decent in multiplayer.

posted 03 July 2004 06:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
It can still be more fun. Maybe don't turtle much on rated games, but a nice advanced set up is a sandbox for turtling strategies. I like defense because sometimes you can take down an army simply by a few horses taking out the siege.

Under the part about be ready for siege, you might wanna add that it is often effective to keep a fast moving reserve outside the walls (say, cavalry) to swoosh in, take out the siege, and then run into the walls. Keep the cavalry outside the walls at first, off to the side, hidden.

Nice information, good tips and basic ideas, with some good detail when needed.

posted 04 July 2004 11:51 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Thank you everyone for your replies. TyrofRagnorak i have edited my origional posting and added your emphasis (thanks). It is good to see disagreements as well, Turtling is not for everyone.
I like your idea of spamming seige Regalto, i normally do something similar to that when ready to attack with Oranos. But what i do is have my barracks, Palaces etc in a ring around a sky passage behind my lines, then you can do the same thing but rather than attack from only one point - attack from several points (because you can circle sky passages around his base) so when he's desperately tring to fight you off at one side you change targets and attack from another, then switch again. He may destroy your passages but he wont have destroyed your means of producing more military. I.e. you'll only need to build another passage not more palaces, which is faster and cheaper.
Another advantage of the sky passage is its economic advantages. I use them near gold mines (or whatever other resource you need); sending a single citizen to build near one, then you can transport a load of them to gold fast. Getting attacked?, transport them instantly to safety. so i tend to have most of my villagers very close together (granted i wouldnt recommend it for all civs).
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Some multiplayer defence tactics
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames