You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to choosing sub-gods for Thor
posted 12 July 2004 09:22 AM EDT (US)   
I know there is a complete Thor guide out there, but I think the choice of sub-gods is particularly difficult for Thor, and you can say much more concerning that than the guide does cover. So I decided to make a special guide that discusses how to make the right sub-god choices when your main god is named Thor.

Forseti is not a good choice against all Norse. He is clearly the best choice against Loki, because his ranged trolls can take out Loki's myth units without getting to melee range, where the hersirs are. Forseti is a defensive god, and in most cases it is a mistake for Norse to play defensive. Against Odin or another Thor you should go Freyja, scout with the initial Valk (burning down their forest), and make cavalry for raiding. Against Loki you need the defensive Forseti though, and against Kronos Forseti is also a valid choice.

Concerning Bragi and Skadi: I think they are equal in value. That does not mean it would not matter which one you get, however. I suggest picking the subgod from the following list (with descending priority, so if an upper rule suggests a different god from a lower rule, obey the upper rule):

• Against Egypt always choose Bragi. Otherwise the Eggy can just spam elephants, and you have not a single unit that could counter them (although some newbies suggest funny choices like mass frost giants or mass TA behind a jarl meat shield. Jarls alone are also strong, but will fall to elephants. Only Bragi ulfs can do the job.)

• Against Loki choose Skadi! Loki has no Freyja, so his cavalry will be of limited value. Lokis mainly attack with infantry and myth units. They particularly keep bringing some hersirs because they have their bonus on them and want free MU. You in turn want to bring down the hersirs before they generate any free MU, so the +20% hack attack for your TA are really handy. They are also good against enemy TA as well as ulfs.

• On a sea map choose Bragi unless you have completely lost the water. Skadi's winter harvest loses too much value when you can get food through fishing.

• Against Poseidon, choose Bragi for obvious reasons (you want Bragi's ulfs against this cavalry god). The downside is that his Ceasefire GP will counter your Flaming weapons, so save the latter until his cease has been used, or combine it with Fimbulwinter in mythic age (Fimbulwinter blocks enemy GPs from being cast). You can also use it to claim a forward TC, which his ceasefire cannot prevent.

• On a food-scarce map (Oasis, Alfheim, Ghost Lake) choose Skadi. Her bonus will really help your farms, giving you a crucial economic advantage. The gods that are not covered by an earlier rule are not too strong cavalry-wise, and you want some ranged units in your army, because ranged units can still attack when your melee units cover all the melee space. (For the same reason, eggies often use some slingers even when there are no archers to counter.) Improved TA are always a good thing, and having lots of TA also helps in quickly putting up a building.

• Against Atlantean, go Skadi. Atlanteans use a lot of infantry. Contarii are not bad, but are not as frightening as the cavalry of other races; normal ulfs, RC, or jarls will do to beat them. You also want to still have a chance when in mythic he is bringing fanatics, against which TA are your only chance, so Skadi's Huntress Axe is useful. TA also allow you to get rid of those annoying destroyers before they can tear down your buildings.

• On the other maps (which are hunting-rich land maps) and against the remaining gods, either choice is valid, and your decision can be based on your opponent's style.

Again, pay attention to the order of the above rules, which are sorted by priority. For instance, on a sea map you should still pick Skadi against Loki to counter his hersir/TA mix.

A few additional remarks to the Bragi/Skadi choice:

• I do not believe that Skadi is an automatic choice against Zeus. She is definitely a valid choice, but many Zeus players go heavy hippikon raiding with Hermes as subgod. Ceasefire counters both Bragi's and Skadi's GP. When you are facing myrmidons later, you will definitely be glad to have improved TA. No other unit in your arsenal can effectively fight myrmidons (not even myth units once the myrms have the Beast Slayer improvement).

• Against an enemy Norse who goes Bragi, go Skadi! Both Frost and Flaming Weapons can win you a battle, but Frost counters Flaming Weapons and not vice versa, so if your main army clashes into his in a decisive battle, your GP is better.

• Both Frost Giants and Battle Boars are excellent myth units, but Battle Boars are faster and will not slow down your army (plus Bragi gives you a speed upgrade for all your MU on top of that if you are prepared to spend some wood and favor on it, an arguable investition).

• The god path to the ultimate ulfsarks is Forseti - Bragi - Tyr. However, your opponent knows that as well. What will he do? Invest heavily in infantry counters (and perhaps choose a subgod of his own that strengthens his inf counters)! Even the best upgraded ulf stands no chance against hypaspists, fanatics (or cheiros with meat shield), axemen (or chariot archers with their range, speed, and high hack armor), or massed throwing axemen. Normally, when you see that your enemy makes counter units against a certain unit type, you will switch to other units. Well, which unit do you plan on resorting to in this case if all your god bonuses are focused on ulfsarks? You will lose your flexibility, and the game along with it, if you go all ulf. If you have Freyja for your cavalry, Skadi for your TA, and Tyr for your ulfs and huskarls, then you can flexibly adopt to the enemy unit composition. I mean, there is nothing wrong with boosting your ulfsarks, but focusing on uber-ulfs is less smart (and less powerful) than their reputation.

Finally, there is the Baldr/Tyr choice, and again, it is not an easy one. People like to reduce it to the choice of God Powers: Ragnarok or Fimbulwinter. So let us start with these first.

• Ragnarok is known as a game ender, and that is so for a reason. It is also a titan-ender, so if you see that your opponent is getting a titan, and you cannot prevent it, you can try welcoming the titan with Ragnarok (the titan is a myth unit after all, and Ragnarok heroes are heroes). However, that alone will not save you if the enemy has a healthy econ and a strong army along with his titan.

• The combo Flaming Weapons/Ragnarok is famous and strong, but I have also witnessed it being beaten back. Do not expect it to win the game for you without investing some brain. Also remember that this requires you to save your heroic GP for mythic age and combine it with your mythic GP. For comparison, the notorious ancestors/eclipse combo only requires the GP from classical and heroic age.

• Less famous, but also very strong, is the Flaming Weapons/Fimbulwinter combo. While he is microing his troops against your invading uber-forces (due to Flaming weapons), his economy in the rear is dying. The alternative is that he goes back and tries to save as much of his econ as he can (mainly by ringing town bells), but in the meantime, you slay his unmicroed force and tear down his front buildings or TCs. This combo is also safe from counters, because no GP can be cast while Fimbulwinter is in effect (imagine attacking with Ragnarok/Flaming Weapons and the enemy just casts Ceasefire). Fimbulwinter will end earlier than Flaming Weapons, so he can use his counter-GP afterwards, but then he just blocks one half heroic GP with his full classical GP (or whatever he is using). Ceasefire might even be useful for you: You just tore down his TC during Fimbulwinter, but the area is not yet secure. Now he casts Cease, and you use that to erect your own TC there!

However, Baldr and Tyr have more to offer than just their GPs. The main question is how you plan to fight the enemy.

• Do you want to march into his base with your core army and destroy everything by melee force? Then you need Tyr's bravery, which will give your huskarls a Zeus-like bonus against buildings. You also get an ulf boost on top of that. You should then focus mainly on huskarls, because you will also rely on these in order to fight enemy archers. Use accompanying TA to deal with enemy non-archer infantry counters (and RC against Cheiros). But before going Tyr, you should always ask yourself what kind of infantry counters you can expect to encounter. Against Norse, Huskarls are a bad choice (because he has no archers), but he will have TA, which destroy your infantry from range. Tyr is not the god to go for against Norse.

• Do you want to attack from the distance? Use Baldr then! This is usually the better idea when the enemy has lots of defensive buildings. If he has two fortresses around his fully-upgraded TC, then you do not want to march your TA there to support your huskarls against the enemy hypaspists. Ballistae are the answer in this case. Unless the enemy is Atlantean, he will be bringing ranged siege of his own, however. Particularly Greek (but also Atlantean) will also have lots of archers. You do not have the bravery upgrade for your huskarls, and you need your wood/gold and hill fort capacity for ballistae anyway. So how will you deal with the enemy archers and siege? The answer is simple: Use RC! Many people do not know that RC get a 2x bonus against siege units (including Cheiros), and with Baldr's Sons of Sleipnir your RC will do way better against his archers than your huskarls could ever hope to. Of course your RC have less pierce armor than husks, so getting Thor's Dragonscale Shields in the armory is a must. Effectively your style will be to attack his units or buildings from range with ballistae, guarded by your main army. Meanwhile you have a Freyja-empowered RC force the father of which is named Sleipnir and that rides into the rear of the enemy forces, taking out the enemy siege and archers alike.

And the mythic age MUs? Well, Tyr's Fenris wolves pretty much suck in Supremacy (they may be worth their money in DM, but that is outside my scope here). They have a slow train time along with high pop space consumption, and you need many of them to be effective. In order to use them, you would need several temples to get them within a reasonable time frame, along with a significant reduction of your core army to free pop space for the wolves and a large chunk of gold and favor.

Baldr's Fire Giants are very famous for their reportedly great power. However, having a closer look at them I found that they are not that good as well. To be more precise, they stink in comparison to a classical age myth unit: Trolls! I will compare them to (upgraded) Hammarrtrolls though, because I think I can safely assume you will have that upgrade if you plan on using trolls as late as mythic age.

Fire Giants do 15 hack damage, Hammarrtrolls do 15.6 pierce damage, so the Hammarrtroll is slightly stronger. On top of that, pierce damage is more valuable for a Norse army because all other Norse land units (except Ballistae) do hack damage, and you can use the trolls to take out units that are vulnerable to pierce. Hammarrtrolls also get a 3x bonus against other myth units. Fire Giants do not. And if that was not enough, Hammarrtrolls have the greater range.

Hammarrtrolls also train faster, have the greater sight range, and the greater speed. Not by a great margin, but the small advantages sum up.

Ok, the Fire Giant has 2.4x the hp of a Hammarrtroll, along with better hack and pierce armor, which is a big one for him. (Then again, you do not want a ranged unit to fight in the first row anyway.) He consumes 25% more pop space than the troll (so that you get plenty of hp, but significantly less attack power per population slot). I can myself remember using fire giants and wondering how little effect they had. I then took a closer look at their stats and noticed their pathetic attack damage.

But finally, let us look at the cost.

The Hammarrtroll costs 150 wood 15 favor, while the fire giant consumes a whopping 300 gold 35 favor! After the above comparisons, which only had armor and hp going for the giant, this price is extortional! With a maxed out favor supply of 100 favor you cannot even make 3 fire giants! Also remember that gold is the most valuable resource in mythic age, and the fire giants will cost a lot of it. On the other hand, with those 100 favor you could make 6 trolls, with only wood as accompanying cost (wood cost is not really much of a factor in mythic age). Even when you assume that wood = gold in value, then a troll does not even cost half of a giant while doing more damage and getting a 3x bonus vs myth!

Fire Giants have one good use though: With their crush damage they can take down buildings quickly. Whether that justifies making them for that price can be discussed - I would rather stick with ballistae for ranged siege and use the favor for other myth units (Battle Boars are also very good against buildings).

As the consequence we see that Fire Giants do not stand up to their reputation. Even against titans, against which they are also said to be good, Trolls would be better. Ok, Titans have a way better pierce armor than hack armor, but that cannot make up for the fact that trolls get a 3x bonus against MU and fire giants do not.

In real games, you will normally have chosen Freyja, so trolls are no alternative for you in mythic age. But with regard to their price, I would rather make Battle Boars or Frost Giants of Thyrm than spend so much money, favor, and pop slots on a unit that gives you so little bang for the buck.

• Replies:
    posted 12 July 2004 11:09 AM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
    consider counter gp's, that you can use, such as if an isis player chooses anubis ( gonna do a later FH ) then frost can stop anubites, also flaming weapons,
    sorry if yuou wrote that i skipped a bit =)
    posted 12 July 2004 01:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
    what is the point in replying to something you have not even read...
    posted 12 July 2004 01:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
    FGs do more damage than stated on the interface.. Just try them in the editor, they kill hoplites way faster than trolls, even though hops have more hack armor. I think they have a 1.9x bonus vs humans, or the fireballs are counted as multiple smaller flameballs or so.

Also, fgs do counter myth, they cause huge wounds, I think the no-bonus is an error, I know it says so in most tables, but they do NOT do 15 dam/sec vs myth, more like 100/sec.

As Titan-killers, FGs are MUCH better than trolls. Both are good vs myth, but the Titan has higher pierce armor and in the time that FGs take to kill a Titan, equal pop of trolls wont have him down to half HP.

You need to check things in the game itself, instead of just reading tables and looking at numbers. By the looks of these errors you havent.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-12-2004 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 13 July 2004 08:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
    Very interesting guide.
    posted 14 July 2004 03:03 AM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
    Johnny_Deppig, for not knowing better you are talking very big. You are right that I did not test when I wrote the above article (because I was not at home and could not start AoM at that time), but your theories are not correct as well.

Meanwhile, I have conducted a series of tests, including attacks against elephants (which count as human units), hydras (myth units), and houses (buildings). It was not easy and included some mathematics to divide up the damage done into the hack part and the crush part, paying respect to armor. Also, they are mixing in their special attack every 17 seconds. However, the special attack is mainly useful against multiple targets and damages a normal target not much more than a regular attack (the giant throws multiple fireballs when it does its special attack, but in return it needs longer to do so). Effectively the special attack just caused a small increase in overall damage that was not too hard to round off.

I found that Fire Giants apparently get a 2x bonus against everything, doing an effective damage of 30 hack and 10 crush per second. To express it more appropiately, it seems their normal damage is twice the number displayed in the game, and they get no bonus against anything. This particularly means they get no bonus against myth units, and the 100 hack/second you estimated is blatant nonsense.

I have not yet tested them against titans, but I do not expect them to get a bonus against these (they would be the only unit in the game that gets a bonus against titans without getting the same bonus against other myth units (not talking about upgrades and relics here, of course)).

This of course raises their value in comparison to trolls. With the increased standard damage, they are better than Hammarrtrolls pop-wise. The Hammarrtrolls still win the comparison cost-wise. Under these circumstances, fire giants may be an option if you are swimming in gold late-game, but remember they will slow your army to a crawl. Battle boars remain a good alternative.

If you do use fire giants, it might be smart always to mix in a few valkyries to heal them between battles. Fire Giants are just to precious to lose them, but with their excessive hp and armor, they can take a great deal of punishment. Valks can give them back any lost health. If you went Forseti, the spring can do the same, although often enough it might not be viable to walk the slow giants back to the spring (unless the latter happens to be nearby).

posted 14 July 2004 05:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
    Comprehensive Guide D&P. However I must disagree with your statement that the only chance a Norse player has vs. fanatics or myrmidons are TA. I feel the ballista is a much-underrated weapon. Apart from crush damage it also does pierce damage. While it is fragile and difficult to use effectively, if protected well with good micro, it' range and firepower is the bane of the aforementioned infantry units.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
    Agnostics:18
    Atheists:28
    Theists:42
    posted 14 July 2004 07:05 AM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
    Nice guide, I knew most, but still some food for thought! Especially the troll/fire giant thing. Troll are REALLY good now, after they got dropped from 4-3 pop and received a HUGH anti-myth boni. Their price is also great.
    I always go forseti nowdays vs atlanteans. those trolls will help out alot, and they take out those stymp birds in no time.

Also the thing about not going tyr vs another norse? makes sense when thinking about huskarls not being your best bet vs another norse. The baldr rc upgrade is uber good, since it gives boni vs ta also.

The usual choise is bragi above skadi nowdays. I usually went bragi too. But I think skadi will have a comeback soon. The ulfs require lots of upgrades to be decent, even with bragi they still dont stand up vs hoplites, only vs cav. Skadi winterharvest frees up pop space also as you need less on farms. Frosties are great too, they are like delayed insta killers (frost em and kill em). I think the frost gp can have some strategic value against titan gates if used right. Attack his gate and a few villager will move, some army will come, frost them and take out the gate. (well just a thought)

Well anyhow, the bragi upgrade for ulfs are rather great, but great ulfs are a long way investement, and the usual backup for norse cav is ta, not ulfs. But as you said, those pesky elephants requires bragi ulfs. Its not really fair!

And finally, I think skadi own bragi totally.
    ta own ulf, frost owns flaming weapons, frosties owns battle boars, and u get a better eco.

The problem with frost however is that you need to back it up somehow, take a tc, build a fort or use siege during its time. Frost alone has little value. Whereas flaming weapons is rather straight forward.

And oh yea! If you are up against a poseidon/Zeus player who goes hermes/bronze god, remeber that if he waits with his cease till u use your flaming, then let him, he will be unable to use his bronze too! He ends up blocking both his classic and heroic gp. If he uses bronze but not cease, use your flaming and if he likes to use his cease now, he will block his own bronze in the process.

Well just some thoughts, will try this out more.

posted 14 July 2004 07:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 27  

Quote:

Johnny_Deppig, for not knowing better you are talking very big. You are right that I did not test when I wrote the above article (because I was not at home and could not start AoM at that time),

So I dont know much, but I was right, and you didnt test things before you wrote a guide? Kinda like writing a tourist guide to China without ever having been there..

Quote:

I found that Fire Giants apparently get a 2x bonus against everything, doing an effective damage of 30 hack and 10 crush per second. To express it more appropiately, it seems their normal damage is twice the number displayed in the game, and they get no bonus against anything. This particularly means they get no bonus against myth units, and the 100 hack/second you estimated is blatant nonsense.

FGs do kill myth faster than regular units. Just try to put 2 fgs apart from each other in the editor. Let one of them fight myth, the other regulars. I tried 2 trolls and 6 rcs, taking armor into account the trolls have more effective HP than the rcs, and the FGs special damages the rc more, still the FGs kill the trolls first. So they ARE more effective vs myth. I didnt say 100 hack/sec, I said 100 dam/sec.. and it was just an estimate. And I dont know if its a plain bonus, or if the crush damage is multiplied somehow (myth generally has 80% crush armor). But they do kill myth faster than human units, and you have done something wrong in your tests if you dont realise that.

Quote:

I have not yet tested them against titans, but I do not expect them to get a bonus against these ..

So test them then.

And you should add your advice in your post to your guide, not tell me those things. Because trust me, I already know them.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-14-2004 @ 07:38 AM).]

posted 14 July 2004 09:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
    Comprehensive guide D&P, simple to understand yet very helpful. However I must beg to differ on your statement that TA are the viable counter to myrmidons and fanatics. Consider the ballista. It does pierce damage. Although fragile and difficult to use effectively, it’s range and firepower can be devastating. It’s all a matter of using other units in a proper capacity to protect them. It requires skill but it is very viable.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
    Agnostics:18
    Atheists:28
    Theists:42
    posted 16 July 2004 04:21 AM EDT (US)     10 / 27  

Quoted from Johnny_Deppig:

Just try to put 2 fgs apart from each other in the editor. ... still the FGs kill the trolls first.

And you suppose that to be a scientific approach? The hp of trolls or RC are not very high, so your test may have been too short to average out the random deviations in AoM attack values. Perhaps your RC were running up and down because they were attacked, causing some of the FG to miss their target, while the slow and big trolls were easy to hit.

Perhaps you also did not factor in that like most myth units, Trolls only have 80% crush armor, so the FG also profit from their crush damage when attacking trolls. RC have the 99% crush armor of human units, so they are virtually not affected.

The only reasonable approach is to actually measure how much damage per second a unit does. I did that by using a map with triggers that gave my target units like 1000 Baccanalias, boosting their hp to a level so that they would survive the hardest punishment. After that I could use the built-in timer (F11) to let the FG attack for two minutes against the hp-boosted target and then calculate the effective damage per second (paying respect to all side-effects like armor).

And these tests gave reproducable results, according to which the FG's damage per second was the same against all types of targets that I mentioned before.

Quoted from Johnny_Deppig:

(about FG against titans)
    So test them then.

And perhaps FGs also do more base damage to trolls than to hydras, so I should better test every single myth unit in the game as a target, right? And then I could test the FG against every single human unit. Oh, chances are they do less damage to mythic age hoplites than to heroic age hoplites, so I should test them against both variants... In your desperate attempts to squeeze a point out of your argumentation where is none, you come up with increasingly bizarre suggestions. Your dilettantish test attempts have shown that you have no idea what you are talking about, so it is ridiculous that you are trying to tell me how to do it.

Quoted from deathmaster666:

However I must beg to differ on your statement that TA are the viable counter to myrmidons and fanatics. Consider the ballista.

I love the ballista, and it is a very good support and siege unit. But ballistae alone will not do. A bunch of fanatics can just walk up to the ballistae and destroy them. Ballistae shooting at the fanatics as they move in means ballistae shooting at moving targets, which they do not hit very well.

Normally, when you use ranged units in combat, you protect them using a meat shield. But what should your meat shield against fanatics look like? Whatever Norse melee unit you come up with, the fanatics will be a hard counter to it, so they just mow down your meat shield and then walk up to the ballistae in order to destroy them. Ballistae are effective against infantry, but will not kill the fanatics quickly enough, particularly since the ballistae shoot spreading fire with low accuracy. Throwing axemen do way better in that respect. You can keep ordering all your local TA to target the nearest fanatic, and they will kill it in no time, with good accuracy while the enemy is still approaching.

Ballistae are nice to have in the third row (behind the TA), but they are no sufficient answer to fanatics.

Quoted from Ekanta:

Troll are REALLY good now, after they got dropped from 4-3 pop and received a HUGH anti-myth boni.

If I am not much mistaken, they have always had that bonus.

Quoted from Ekanta:

The problem with frost however is that you need to back it up somehow, take a tc, build a fort or use siege during its time. Frost alone has little value. Whereas flaming weapons is rather straight forward.

But for both GPs you need your army to be present to make good use out of it (ok you could frost his army attacking your soft underbelly while your troops are elsewhere, just to get time, but I regard that as a waste of a GP that can be used way better than as a ceasefire for paupers). Flaming weapons without an army will make just as little sense as Frost without an army that can use the time to erect a building, destroy important enemy buildings that the frosted troops were supposed to defend, or hack at the frosted troops (which will still take the 1 minimum damage per hit taken, despite the 99% frost armor). Flaming weapons also make no sense without something to attack. I do not think you need more backup for Frost than for Flaming Weapons. Rather the opposite: Frost is somewhat more flexible.

Quoted from Ekanta:

He ends up blocking both his classic and heroic gp. If he uses bronze but not cease, use your flaming and if he likes to use his cease now, he will block his own bronze in the process.

With the only drawback that Bronze, being the GP with the longest limited duration in the game, will still be in effect for a nice amount of time after cease and fw have ended.

[This message has been edited by DeathAndPain (edited 07-16-2004 @ 04:32 AM).]

posted 16 July 2004 08:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 27  

Quote:

If I am not much mistaken, they have always had that bonus.

Very true. They were dropped 1 pop and had their wood cost increased to 175 instead of 150.

Quote:

He ends up blocking both his classic and heroic gp. If he uses bronze but not cease, use your flaming and if he likes to use his cease now, he will block his own bronze in the process.

I would definetely not use FW when an enemy uses Bronze on me. I'd try to run around his army until it runs out or I'd wait till it's over to cast FW.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
    « . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
    posted 16 July 2004 10:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
    Quote :

Quote:

Anwer:

Quote:

I would definetely not use FW when an enemy uses Bronze on me. I'd try to run around his army until it runs out or I'd wait till it's over to cast FW

But! The whole point is that he still got cease left then to nullify your fw till the end of the game!
    IF you use fw during bronze he will not be able to cease it without losing both his cease and bronze at the same time.

Quite simply u exchange fw vs cease+bronze, a good bargin!
    Or, you have blocked both cease+bronze instead of using fw, still a good bargin!

The main thing you wanna avoid is him blocking your fw with cease, because thats a good bargin for the greek player!

Running away from bronze hardly helps your fw vs cease later on. You either have to hope he uses it for something else before the game ends or be 99% sure your fw is gonna get ceased + he was free to use bronze on you.

Well thats the way I see it at least.

[This message has been edited by Ekanta (edited 07-16-2004 @ 10:49 AM).]

posted 16 July 2004 04:38 PM EDT (US)     13 / 27  

Quote:

And you suppose that to be a scientific approach? The hp of trolls or RC are not very high, so your test may have been too short to average out the random deviations in AoM attack values

No. There arent any random deviations in attack values. I tested it and saw what happened. FGs do more damage to trolls than human units... and as for

Quote:

Perhaps you also did not factor in that like most myth units, Trolls only have 80% crush armor, so the FG also profit from their crush damage when attacking trolls

Did you even read my post? I said that it could be because trolls have 80% crush armor. But if the crush attack is taken at face value, it doesnt account for the difference.

Quote:

And perhaps FGs also do more base damage to trolls than to hydras, so I should better test every single myth unit in the game as a target, right? And then I could test the FG against every single human unit. Oh, chances are they do less damage to mythic age hoplites than to heroic age hoplites, so I should test them against both variants... In your desperate attempts to squeeze a point out of your argumentation where is none, you come up with increasingly bizarre suggestions. Your dilettantish test attempts have shown that you have no idea what you are talking about, so it is ridiculous that you are trying to tell me how to do it.

What a bunch of total bullshit. Titans are myth, and FGs are better than trolls vs myth. If you had tested the same pop/cost of trolls and FGs vs a Titan, you would have found that FGs are much more powerful. But no, you didnt because you couldnt play AoT where you were.. dont write a guide about it then - its plain to see that FGs kill titans faster than trolls do, if you just test it, but you didnt, you just cooked up a "guide" without having checked up on the "facts" you shit out. "Dilettantish"? Looked in your daddys dictionary now again? My tests were simple because you dont need more than a simple test. Your tests, OTOH, were just plain wrong. Either you lie or you made calculating errors. A FG attacking a hydra for 1 min causes about 1575 hp damage. Divide by 60 and you get over 26 damage/sec, which regardless of how you split it on armors adds up to more than what you came up with. If the multiplier is spread evenly on crush and hack, the FG does about 3,7 crush and 22,3 damage per second, after the damage has been reduced by the Hydra´s armor. You prolly forgot to add the armor of the hydra to your calculations. Bottom line is, FGs DO HURT MYTH UNITS, INCLUDING TITANS, MORE THAN TROLLS DO.

And before you start again, yes, that is even when you account for pop/cost.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-16-2004 @ 04:43 PM).]

posted 16 July 2004 04:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
    Trolls get triple damage vs Myth units, Fire Giants get double damage vs myth units. A troll has 12 pierce attack and a fire giant has 15 hack and 10 crush.

These numbers were extracted from the game data files and even though the troll has a better multiplier the fire giant still comes out on top in terms of the damage done with crush and hack combined. This is especially true against titans because the titan has less hack/crush armour (90%) than he does pierce armour (95%).

posted 16 July 2004 05:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
    What does the FG get vs human units then according to the data files? Because the FG does more than 30 hack and 10 crush per second vs myth. It could be that the 15 hack 5 crush displayed are for each arm, the FG attacks with both arms. Other stats such as for the SoO and the Petsuchos are also off.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-16-2004 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 16 July 2004 06:02 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
    *wishes ChimeraArtemis still was here testing everything...*

Remember that the attack is attack\second and not attack per hit.

posted 16 July 2004 06:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
    Yes of course, I know that. If anything Id say it seems the FG does 2x his stated damage always, and also has a 2x bonus vs Myth. The damage stated on the interface is dam/sec, but it isnt always accurate. Some units, like Hekas, have multiple attacks (one for each arm), and others like the petsuchos have overstated damage, maybe due to its long attack animation.
    posted 17 July 2004 04:43 AM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
    There is one action in the fire giant's description that I'm not sure about, I'll post the data here so you can see for yourself:
    <action name="RangedAttack">
    <param name="MaximumRange" value1="14"></param>
    <param name="Damage" type="Crush" value1="10"></param>
    <param name="Damage" type="Hack" value1="15"></param>
    <param name="Rate" type="All" value1="1.0"></param>
    <param name="AttackAction"></param>
    <param name="Accuracy" value1="0.90"></param>
    <param name="AimBonus" value1="15.0"></param>
    <param name="TrackRating" value1="5.0"></param>
    <param name="AccuracyReductionFactor" value1="2.0"></param>
    <param name="SpreadFactor" value1="0.10"></param>
    <param name="MaxSpread" value1="2.0"></param>
    <param name="UnintentionalDamageMultiplier" value1="0.50"></param>
    <param name="DamageBonus" type="Hero" value1="0.25"></param>
    <param name="DamageBonus" type="MythUnit" value1="2"></param>
    </action>
    <action name="Light">
    <param name="Rate" type="All" value1="2.0"></param>
    </action>
    <action name="ChargedRangedAttack">
    <param name="MaximumRange" value1="14"></param>
    <param name="Rate" type="HumanSoldier" value1="1.0"></param>
    <param name="AttackAction"></param>
    <param name="ChargeAction"></param>
    <param name="Damage" type="Hack" value1="25" value2="3.0" options="AttackEnemy|AttackGAIAUnits"></param>
    <param name="Damage" type="Crush" value1="20" value2="3.0" options="AttackEnemy|AttackGAIAUnits"></param>
    <param name="MuteDamage"></param>
    <param name="Accuracy" value1="1.0"></param>
    <param name="TrackRating" value1="5.0"></param>
    <param name="NumberProjectiles" value1="3.0"></param>
    <param name="UnintentionalDamageMultiplier" value1="1.0"></param>
    <param name="Bounces" value1="3.0"></param>
    <param name="SpreadFactor" value1="0.10"></param>
    <param name="MaxSpread" value1="2.0"></param>
    <param name="VolleyMode"></param>
    <param name="DamageBonus" type="Hero" value1="0.25"></param>
    <param name="Rate" type="Building" value1="1.0"></param>
    <param name="Rate" type="AbstractVillager" value1="1.0"></param>
    <param name="Rate" type="MythUnit" value1="1.0"></param>
    </action>
    </unit>

As you can see they get a penalty vs Heroes (like most myth units do), for the fire giant it's a 0.25 multiplier. The first action describes its normal attack and the last action describes its special attack. The middle action is the one that remains a mystery to me, the one described as "Light".

posted 17 July 2004 07:35 AM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
    "Light" could be the glow animation that comes from the hands/head of the FG. Note that "Rate" says all, the Rate for the special says "HumanSoldier" and later on building, vill and myth - not hero. So Rate should be the type of objects that it can use that action on. Since rate=all for Light and the standard attack, its prolly something that it can do/does always. But it could also explain the added damage it always seems to do. My moneys on a nonviolent effect animation though.

So apparently the FG gets 2x vs myth, and gets 1x vs human soldiers. Funny how "crush" says 10 though. Could be that the hack damage is counted per arm or so, since it does more than 15/sec. Would mean it has 30 hack and 10 crush or whatever, maybe its just from an earlier patch. I dont think that portion of data shows everything related to the FG attack though, damage is prolly also dependent on animation files and the "attackaction" parameter.. but it shows that it does have a bonus vs Myth, and no bonus vs humans.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-17-2004 @ 07:37 AM).]

posted 17 July 2004 10:41 AM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
    Arch how can u get that data???
    posted 18 July 2004 05:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
    Figuring out exactly how much damage FG's do relative to Trolls would take some work, but it can't be denied that Fire Giants are much more powerful in combat than their stats would lead you to believe.

Then of course, you can't completely ignore toughness. It's easy to say that Range units shouldn't be in front, but they always end up taking a beating, regardless.

Against Hack Damage, a Hammertroll has 500 HP's, ditto for pierce. That works out to about 167 HP's per pop. They also regen Hit points with every attack, making them basically invulnerable to atrittion damage. On the other hand, they roll-over and die quickly to direct attack.

A Fire Giant, on the other hand, has 1500 HP's vs hack damage, and an amazing 3,000 HP's vs pierce. Thats 300/600 HP's per pop, or 450 if you average it out, nearly 3 times as much as the Troll. Healing is problematic without valkyries though.

Both units are great, IMO, but by the time Mythic rolls around, I can't imagine why you would be using trolls instead of FG's, assuming you had access to both. And while I don't know the numbers, I know for a fact that FG's pretty much scoff in the general direction of Titans, esp with a Herssir meatsheild.

posted 19 July 2004 07:28 AM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
    The problem is that he didnt actually try fgs out, he just looked at the attack value while sitting on a bus somewhere or whatever, and decided to write a guide. Then when someone points out his mistakes he starts puking insults.
    posted 19 July 2004 01:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
    johnny u were a little harsh.
    good guide, although you should try it out before hand.
    posted 09 September 2004 03:18 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
    I'll add it.

Theris264
    former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
    "An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
    posted 09 September 2004 05:06 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
    I think your last post sums him up nice Johnny
    A feigned Know it all that can't admit when he's wrong(which is often). My problem with the guide/his posts isn't the fact that it may or may not contain errors, its how he reacts to and handles it.
    posted 10 September 2004 11:33 AM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
    nice guide.
    Well i wd like 2 know how do u(THor in Vanilla)face greeks in heroic age(with their ranged petrobolos)playing defensivly(i m a 1750+vanilla player)but still fear them a lot.
    posted 10 September 2004 01:15 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
    kill them in classical =)
    i tend to be able to rush possy and zeus relatively well,
    hades is who i fear, hard to rush....
    i sometimes use valks to kill their petroblas =P then run and heal lol,
    only prob is hero + focus fire....
    this is annoying though, but ballista can help ( altohugh mythic is needed) =(
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A guide to choosing sub-gods for Thor
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames