You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Odinīs best team strat
posted 13 July 2004 09:34 AM EDT (US)   
... Heres the BO+execution for the Odin sub-10 fast Mythic.. very effective in team games, less so 1v1.

This is assuming its a hunting map, which most maps are, esp for Odin.

dwarf, ox cart, vills cut some wood. Great hunt right away also. Hunting dogs, vills go to hunt, build a dwarf as soon as you have 70 gold, and get a woodcutting operation going too after you have 7 or so vills hunting. 5-6 vills on wood may well be enough for getting buildings+towers. Research pickaxe asap, and get every upgrade there is afterwards, if there is the slightest use for it (more than 3 herdables=husbandry). More vills to food etc.. You can still advance as fast as most greek/eggy players, even if you get an extra ulf, which you might consider to help build the temple.

Heimdall helps with the defending you must do, Freyja with the late game Jarls, pick whoever you want

Either way, get the tower upgrade when you hit classical, and start looking at a second goldmine.. place towers to defend your tc and/or second mine. Make 1-2 hersirs for favor+building, or just make tc ulfs. Make an armory only, no need for rax.

Ravens.. fly around.. look for forests near enemy tcs.

The tc should make dwarves and an extra cart for them. Vills should keep hunting, great hunt should make hunting last for at least the heroic advance, and prolly a whole lot longer.

Pick Njord as your heroic divine guide

As soon as you hit heroic, make a market. You should have an abundance of gold to buy yourself the food you need to get mythic, if you dont just wait and gather, till you can get 1000 of gold and food.

Up with Tyr

When youve got your eco and micro down, you should be able to reach Mythic by 10 mins easily, while still having a decent defense.

You should have a raven flying over a suitable forest to cast walking woods as soon as you hit mythic. For best effect, have WW ready to cast, then swift-click fimbulwinter.. within half a second, you opponentsī screens will fill up with unpleasant messages and ominous snow.

Take the time to look at the wolfpacks, they give you LOS that might reveal enemy goldmines, what they build, if they farm, etc.

Most of the time, this gp combo will ruin the enemyīs day, some ppl might even resign, but you still have things to do if you want to take full advantage of the Odin FM:

Make a hillfort or two if you havent, and pump Jarls+ballistas. Since TA are so nerfed, ballistas make a better ranged unit, and you get ranged siege before most greeks do. Make more tcs, constantly make vills, and spam hillforts or go for another strat if you want.. Jarls+ballistas are my favored combo, but you can use whatever you want. Try to take advantage of fenriswolves and ballistas though, they are two great things you get when you are Mythic. 5-6 wolves make awesome raiders, and an enemy fw tc can be destroyed from afar within range of hillforts, if you use ballistas.

GL HF etc..

Johnny Deppig

Replies:
posted 13 July 2004 10:44 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
nice, one thing, wouldnt this work pretty nice with thor??
i know his gods arent better but his dwarfs are by far.... and they dont cost as much.
also frost may help on the defensive side.
posted 13 July 2004 11:08 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
Works with all norse (since all get Tyr), but Odin is the fastest. Great hunt makes a lot of difference, and WW can wreck a whole base if ppl are distracted by Fimbulwinter. Its just the bonuses Odin gets, you make better use of them.. hunting bonus, ravens scout out forests, and ballistas and Jarls get a bonus. You shouldnt need to use frost, and frost alone will only delay, not really defend.

But sure, it would work with Thor, however try it with Odin first, Odin is a lot better for this strat.. Thorīs cheaper dwarves arent a big difference when you put them all on gold anyway, hes better for mixing dwarves and vills on food..

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-13-2004 @ 11:11 AM).]

posted 14 July 2004 10:45 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
sweet man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell me if this is better in 3v3 or 2v2, i guess each one it has advantages and stuff. Also what rating have you done this on, sounds a little risky cause of double or triple rush threats. Glad to see people making new odin strats pls make another cool strat soon, i'll be trying this one next time i'm online.

posted 14 July 2004 10:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
heres a good combo if ur odin and ur ally is odin in a 2v2 rated game

one FH other rush
both rush
double rush someone
FH use walking woods on his wood supply the other forest the rest of it(Oasis)
double great hunt double ragnarok
fimbulwinter right after the other
undermine plus fimbulwinter
undermine plus fimbulwinter plus attack

Thats all i can think off ur odin and ur ally is odi in a rated game or non-rated

Time is like a drug, too much of it kills you!!
posted 14 July 2004 11:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
oh yeah i forgot to ask a couple of things, does this work ok on water maps too, cause ballista have bonus vs. ships and the jormund elver dude? And could you try and do a little bit better job explaining the first paragraph, it seems a little hard to understand.

Could you also mention any exceptionally good partners to have in this, like maybe gaia for gaia forest, forest fire combo. Are there any others.

posted 15 July 2004 08:51 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
First of all, the risk for being attacked/rushed. Yea, its always there. But generally, tower upgrade+a few extra towers discourages enemy attacks. Ive been Oranos turma spammed while doing this strat, and it didnt even slow me down. Often, the enemy tries to raid but stops when he sees your towers, and builds a second tc instead or so. Of course, you should try to know who is closest to you, if its Loki or Zeus, start out by preparing for a rush, and use your ravens to scout him. If you dont find a forward base or massed hoplites, go back to the FM. This is another reason to do it with Odin and not other Norse-ravens are useful for determining threat level.

As for water.. its even better on a water map actually.. maybe I should add that. Its more rare that you will be rushed/land attacked on a water map, and you will get TWO mus - kraken and jormundelver. Just fish, but dont start building longboats.. hide the boats in the dock, and micro them out again when the enemy leaves. try to get the most out of the water, but even on mediterranean there is enough hunt on land to get you mythic!You do not need the water just because there is water, but dont neglect it in archaic. A single dock and 7-8 fishing ships do perfectly fine.

The first paragraph is just the archaic build order that I use.. most people start out making vills, I begin with a dwarf and an ox cart, and put my starting vills on a tree next to the tc. I use this start with Loki and Odin, and it is more micro intensive than standard build orders, but its a little bit better if you are good. You can use your usual way of playing, wont make a big diff, the important thing to rememeber is to get pickaxe, handaxe and dogs+husbandry in archaic. You wont research any other upgrades until you are going mythic.

Ive pulled this off in 1700++ 3v3s, but then Im good. But its perfectly doable vs ppl your own rating, whatever it is.

Quote:

Could you also mention any exceptionally good partners to have in this, like maybe gaia for gaia forest, forest fire combo. Are there any others.

There ARE a couple of things to consider in your team partners. First of all you cant have ppl who scream for help as soon as they are attacked in classical. Because you wont be able to help them and go FM. If they are seriously doubled (there is a risk for that since you dont go on the offense right away) and cant handle it, you might not be able to FM. But if you are playing with decent ppl, they should be able to hold up.

2v2 or 3v3.. The more ppl the better chance you have, since maps will be larger (less risk to be rushed) and fimbulwinter will have more tcs to affect. But it works fine in 2v2 also.

As for what civs they should be, its often not a big deal. Most ppl on ESO cant do anything coordinated besides maybe simple double raiding, so in general you are on your own, unless you are in a clan and they know what you are doing. In that case they might be able to support you.

The best combo for this might actually be Odin+Odin+Odin, but then you need to know 2 people who know the strat. Then you can all defend heavily with towers and be mythic around 10-11 mins, and cast 3 coordinated WW, then fimbulwinter followed by fimbulwinter followed by fimbulwinter. Wolves generally damage tcs quite a lot when the enemy runs into them, and the likely result of 3 fimbulwinters is all 3 original tcs destroyed, most enemy vills in the bellies of the wolves, and gg.

If you want more strats Ive written down here try searching for "Set Merc Vortex". I dont think Ill write more strats though, I know of other weird ones but they arent half as good as these.. but let me know how this works out for you, just try it several times, I f-cked up royally the first times I tried to Isis FH I think..

GL from me.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-15-2004 @ 09:11 AM).]

posted 15 July 2004 11:06 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
i only gave u odin and odin gp combos.

Time is like a drug, too much of it kills you!!
posted 16 July 2004 06:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
cool i finally tried it online. I got to mythic at 11:00 and used the god power combo you mentioned. it was a 3v3 game and one of my opponents built a forward tc. I used my mg to disrupt them some but didn't quite kill his forward tc. I used ww on a zeus guy and he almost lost his tc, it would have died if my mountain giant went to that one instead, oh well. I started making alot of ballista and asked my partner to make a meatshield, didn't happen he went throwing axeman all game. we ended up losing in a pretty good game for my level, lost cause of a roc drop on my wonder. But as far as the actual strat went it worked really well thx alot.

Edit: the map was ghost lake so this works on maps with just a mild amount of hunting. That's pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by jj11188 (edited 07-16-2004 @ 06:57 AM).]

posted 16 July 2004 04:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
Nice
posted 23 July 2004 07:24 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
i think the way to kinda maximize this is to play with some of ur mates, ( this is what i did) and we all did this strat, i used walking woods on his wood villies ( made his army pull back, as i was getting rushed, but i didnt want to be the odd one out so i still did a FM) my mate was nice enough to kill the forward base with his trees, and then i went mythic just after 10 mins, used fimbul, when there was like 2 seconds of fimbul left my partner advanced and did fimbul, and after that, another fimbul... this completely stuffed em up. and even the 1850 player did worse then me =) in score that is.
( this is aom vanilla i did this on btw), i can do it faster with thor, but as you said i think that the WW is a must, and also odin jarls are genrally stronger, so the thor upgrades would cost alot to compare, which i dont have that early in the game, also johnny do you think that making more rax units are needed?
posted 23 July 2004 07:29 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
Hey, show the rec if you have it, Id like to see that..

I dont think you NEED more rax units.. I use the tc only, pumping out a few ulfs for building. I wouldnt make rax unless I abandoned the strat, in which case it would be tc ulfs making rax making TAs/RCs.

posted 23 July 2004 08:22 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
Would a Hades FM work in high hunting maps? I'm talking Ares, Apollo, Hephaestus. Hades has high defenses either way, defending shouldn't be that tough. If more villagers are kept on collecting gold, then one can pump a toxotes or two for defense.

Apollo's Underworld Passage can be used for defense, so that the ally may help. Once reaching Mythic, with sufficient favor for Hep's "Forge of Olympus" tech..

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 23 July 2004 09:17 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Ive done that with Zeus.. works ok, myrmidons are awesome, and Plenty is damn good to have at 12 mins.. Once I did a hades FM and cast EQ, killed an opponent off almost completely.. But Hades doesnt get THAT much great stuff in mythic, though towers+gastras could be powerful.

I think the Odin FM is the best in the whole game though since fimbulwinter is the most powerful mythic gp that early on, and Odin has a great econ.

[This message has been edited by Johnny_Deppig (edited 07-23-2004 @ 09:18 AM).]

posted 24 July 2004 07:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
vs. an atty i think a hades fm would be fun, once you get mythic cast eq on their tc and if it dies underworld passage your vills and army over there to take their main tc and steal a couple farms and with up you can have your army travel quickly between towns.
posted 09 September 2004 03:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
I'll add it.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Odinīs best team strat
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames