Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Climbing your way up to 17+
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 15 August 2004 11:36 PM EDT (US)   
In this article I will give u tips to become 1700 and beyond. I have beaten 1800s and been 1750+ and after reading this document I guarantee you will be able to beat 1650+ and become 17+ eventually. If you need any extra help after reading this and still need help I will help you in any way possible. I have helped some people for hours on end and they have gotten much better. Also you may contact me on aim ( DeCeAsEd ShAdOw ) or msn ( deadlyshadow@halopcmods.com )

My Eso Name is Deceased_Shadow and Mr_Kickass

Terminology...

Booming = Go slow through the ages and concentrate on your economy by getting upgrades and many vills before advancing.

Turtle = Build walls and towers and defend yourself early then in the end turn the tables on him.

Rushing = Advance fast and send millitary over asap.

Fh = Fast Heroic - Can be preformed by any god but right now is interested in the Isis, Odin, Kronos fh - Excuse me if I forgot some

Fm = Fast Mythic - Get to mythical age as fast as possible. I've seen done well with Isis and Zeus.

Ft = Fast Titan - Get a titan as fast as possible to beat the enemy under the 15 minute line.

Raiding = Sending fast millitary units to the enemy base and killing villagers and sometimes buildings such as houses. Btw. Doesn't have to be in his base. Could be a goldmine or food gathering source or anything outside his base. It is meant to give him a worse economy.

KRush = Kronos Rush - Usually advancing way before you are supposed to with 5 villagers. To do this be Kronos and send 5 vills to food. Make the second guy make a house then a temple then put him to food again. Advance with prometheus. When you start advancing send two guys to wood and 2 to gold. Timeshift your temple to his base ( don't let him see it ) Make sure ur tc isn't idle also. Valor ur oracles and make about 5 Prometheus. Timeshift counter barracks to his base and make turmas. Raid him very quick and don't allow him to advance or ruin his eco when he advances.

Micro = Micromanagement - Using counters. For example. Send tox to hops and hippokins to tox and hops to hippokins.

GRush = Galley Rush ( Longboat rush ) - When you advance switch your food guys to wood.

Part 1 - Things To Remember

* Never have an idle towncenter - Make a villager then click the curved green arrow at the towncenter so each time a vill is trained another will be training without you having to click the villager button again.

* Build houses around towers - You do not have to do this but it is very helpful and when your eggy or have upgraded towers as a different civ you will kill many more of the enemy warriors when they are attacking because they have to kill the house first then the tower and you will kill 5 more guys then you would have if they are taxmen for example.

* Never have idle warriors or soilders watch you fight - Idle warriors means that you are allowing the enemy to expand and have a better economy than you. If you are waiting for warriors to train and have only trained 6 ulfs so far then just raid with those. Then later bring in the 8 more and raid at different spots at the same time confusing the enemy and making he feel choked and then he won't raid you because he'll be afraid your coming to raid him. Soilders watching the fight is very bad. If he is coming to attack you with 30 warriors and u just fight back with 22 and have 8 scattered around the map you will most likely loose the game and possibly loose the game.

* Don't go under town center fire - I see many noob loki rushers and other ( god name here ) rushers do this. Player 1 is hades with upgraded towers and sentinal and some tox and the loki player goes straight in to try to kill the tox and has about 22 hersirs slaughtered when he killed about 3 of his tox giving player 1 the advantage and player 1 will most likely win.

* Don't be lured out of your millitary standing position - Sometimes in a game where everything is mostly still the enemy will send a axeman over to where your warriors are and then back to his base. Your millitary units will follow him to his fortresses and millitary buildings and u will most likely loose those warriors. To avoid this make the units go in defensive position.

* Micro - Which stands for micromangement means to use counters. Suppose you are going with 12 tox, 12 hops, 12 hippokins against 12 tox, 12 hops, 12 hippokins. The only way to beat this is to micro. Make the toxotes attack the hoplites. Have your hippokins come in from behind the tox in back and kill them. Make the hoplites to come in from the sides to the middle to get the hippokins. Try to practice this concept as much as possible.

* Speed - Speed is everything in a game of aom. Try to start building ur temple at 3:30 - 4:00 and start advancing at 4:30 or lower. Use the highest scroll speed as possible. Hotkeys are also helpful instead of clicking on the minimap or dragging the mouse to your destination. For example, if you need to use the armory and can't find it just press "r" on the keyboard ( instead of scrollng around for seconds ) if that is the armory hotkey ( it is default - change hotkeys in options ) Also use the minimap to get to places on the map instead of scrolling there as I said above. It will save time and time is everything.

* RETREAT! - Don't be afraid to. If you cannot win a battle you might as well save 15 warriors and then heal them at your base. With Odin this is very helpful since his units heal by themselves. If you continue when losing the battle you are helping the enemy more than yourself.

* Don't go into a battle you will loose - If you are charging 15 hoplites with 15 hippokins then.. well... just don't!! No doubt he will win.

* Adjust for counters - send in a ulf to the enemys base or a raven if your odin or a pegasus if your greek or just anything. See what the enemy is making so when you fighting those 25 hoplites later with your 25 taxmen you may have a chance of winning the game because you will beat his long spent on army.

* Run for 5 seconds then take em! - If he has 20 slingers and you have 12 then start going backwards behind your rax and have slingers train in the meantime. When you have more about 15 seconds later then surprise him and you'll have em. If you watch xpert recorded games then u will see this done a lot.

* Raid!!! - This is a hard concept for most beginners but when your norse or any other civ just raid the hell outa ur enemy. If you are thor then make ten rc and raid him. There are only so many gold mines and forests on the map. Put something by a gold mine such as a house or wall so u will know when he goes to that mine. Remember. No gold means no warriors and no warriors means your chance for victory. Raiding gives him a awful economy so do it often!

* Balance your resources - If you have 30 food, 8000 wood and 504 gold something has got to change. Start sending more guys to food and move some wood guys to food and gold. It is better to have 800 food, gold, and wood than 5000 food and wood and 20 gold.

* Build rax AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WHEN YOU ADVANCE - Right when you advance and that thing says classical age make about 4 rax right in front of your town and make a warrior and put it on auto queue so it keeps training. You should not do this if you are booming or turtling. It is a waste of resources. Btw.. Turtling means to wall urself in until you have a very good economy. Rushing is what I said above ( Building rax asap when you advance ) Booming means many things such as these quotes from the forums:

"To expand a bit , there are a few ways to boom.
1 stay in archaic a bit longer and do an archaic boom, advance later than usual but have a very good econ set up.

2 Hit classical in a decent time, still build 2 barracks, take a second tc asap (by 6 min) and create vills from both. Make minimal defenses. Get like 50 vills before you start to focus on military. But them spam military buildings.

3 you can even do a 3 tc boom and have 80 vills by 12 min.

You just have to be ready and able to defend yourself if necessary. Upgrading towers isnt a bad idea."

Thanks Pug

* Rock, paper, sissor... SHOOT! - Have one rax autoqueue ta, one autoqueue rc, one autoqueue ulfs, and have the fourth one for upgrades and have your temple autoqueue hersirs and mus. DO the same thing for different civs. It is better to have infantry, archers, and cavalry then just one so if he is coming with you with archers then you can have the other two groups stay back. When the cavalry are done then send the 2 groups in and keep going. Also when fighting in big battles it is better to have rock, paper, sissor rather than just rock or paper or sissor.

* Never be at your pop limit - If you are 35/35 and start making a house then you are wasting time. Usually you should start making the house when you are at 32/35.

* START CLAIMING TCs!! - When you claim a towncenter next to the enemy town or even just claim one the enemy gets freaked and starts to choke. You have him exactly where you want him. You have extra population. Start making warriors and outnumber him and destroy him. A good time for claiming tcs is right when you advance or at your pop limit ( 115/115 or 118/118 )

* Spamming - When fighting in a huge battle in late game it is a good idea to spam which means keep sending warriors to that spot over and over and over till the battle changes in your favor. By this I mean when u have like 12 rax in late game and so many resources and ur making 12 warriors every 10 seconds. Don't do this in the beginning of the game or u may risk losing so many resources you may have to resign.

* Expand!! - Don't build buildings right next to each other. Expand your empire. Don't build farms around only one town center. Build them around each one. Don't only have 24 gold mines at one mine. Put 8 at 3 different mines.

* Treat your forward base as your home base - Build a tc there. Have people gather resources there and set up millitary buildings there. Sorta like a second empire which means more income and population.

* Scout around your base - I see most people scout straight out to the enemy. You don't want to do this. With your scout, go around your base over and over clearing more fog each time. Why? Do this so when your first food source is gone you can go to the next huntables. This is also good for scouting out gold for later and relics if your that kind of guy.

* Fake him out - If he sees me making ulfs I would immediately switch to rc so when he comes with 20 ta I send my rc above and kill em.

* Don't be raided, raid him - There are ways not to be raided - First, raid him. Then he most likely won't raid you because he's afraid he'll be raided. Second, make towers at gathering sites so when raiders come you can shove you gatherers into the towers until help comes. Third, for Atties you can build manors and when raiders come you can hide in the manors. Fourth, Wall ur resources in. This means when you mining gold or anything else you can wall in the gold mine and the villagers. Then while the raiders destroy the wall, help comes. Fifth, keep infantry by the sides of your base so when raiders come u can kill them.

< - - Tell me if you have any more ideas for the bullet list - - >

Part 2 - Building Placements

Amory = Back of city

Houses = Around Towers

Rax = In front of city - In back if being rushed

Strongholds = Next to gold mines and in front of city

Market = Far away from towncenter for maximum gold income from trade caravans

Temple = In front of city - In back if being rushed

If you look above and think you can see why they should be there. All buildings that produce units in front so they can get to the battle quick and armory in back so it is not harmed and the houses around towers so towers aren't harmed and market far from tcs for max gold income. Try to place buildings like this is games to come.

Part 3 - God Choosing

If you don't choose one god when a noob you will never get better. Go to the god choosing panel and click on each one and read it all. At the end pick the one that interests you most and practice him and find strategys and build orders for him. Also watch expert recorded games of your god and practice that god till ur eyes fall out from staring at the screen so much.

Part 4 - Recorded Games

Watching your recorded games after you play the game to see what you did wrong is very helpful. Someone went from 1800 to 2000 by doing this. Also watch expert recorded games of your chosen god. Some good places to watch expert recorded games are...

www.aotsanctuary.com

www.aom.heavengames.com

www.ksjoseywales.nodecam.com

www.planetageofmythology.com/glouk/

That's pretty much all you will probably need in your lifetime.. lol

Part 5 - Need help?

I will be glad to help you. As you read above you can contact me and I will help you. I live in gmt -5 so you can take a guess at when I will be on aom.

[This message has been edited by Mythical_King (edited 08-17-2004 @ 10:55 AM).]

Replies:
posted 15 August 2004 11:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
Excellent Post - at least I thought so.

Is your Eso name - Mythical_King??

Quote:

"Defeat should never be a source of discouragement but rather a fresh stimulus" - Robert South

posted 16 August 2004 00:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
You should add stuff about scouting. Scoutings not just important early on, you have to do it the whole game to find out where enemy vils are, and to see what units theyre training. One time i fought a Hades, and i assumed he would mass tox. But thanks to good scouting around his base and his buildings, i found he was going all out cav, so i was able to Katapeltes and kicked his ass. Basically never make your entire army before you see his, so in case you suddenly find out he has a certain unit type, you have enough pop room to make counters for it.
Also if i see an enemy oracle or scout "looking" at my army, i will immediately switch units. Also i might fake him out by putting some hoplites by my rax where he can see them, meanwhile i keep my 20 hippikons in the back of my base so when his tox come to kill my hops, he's dead meat.
Keep units, particularly anti-cavalry by the sides of your base, so when he comes to raid yure ready.
1 last thing- on maps with chokepoints like Watering Hole, keep an eye on them. You may think youve got the chokepoint covered, but chances are he can sneak an army past it outside your LOS and raid you from the sides, or worse, make a base there and raid the hell out of you.

I told you I'd be back.

[This message has been edited by SilverOsirisAOM (edited 08-16-2004 @ 00:24 AM).]

posted 16 August 2004 01:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 32  

Quote:

* Build rax AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WHEN YOU ADVANCE - Right when you advance and that thing says classical age make about 4 rax right in front of your town and make a warrior and put it on auto queue so it keeps training

I disagree with this one. Firstly you don't always want to produce military units early on if your attempting a boom or fh for example. Secondly, 4 rax can be too much, 3 is usually sufficient to begin, adding rax as you go. Finally, with some civs do not autoqueue military units early on as it will mess up your vil production.

Most of the others are good, but you need to adapt. Sometimes 6 min advances are good for example. I saw a game where gp advanced around 7 mins because he built a few more monuments, but one the game nonetheless with massed sphinx and petsuchos eclipsed.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 16 August 2004 01:57 AM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
for oranos i always build 3 cb and 1 b. im 18++
posted 16 August 2004 03:18 AM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
Good article, I'm 1700+ (but barely) and I do most things of this

What is your ESO nick btw?

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
posted 16 August 2004 03:30 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
Not always should you build rax in front of your city (however, most of the times, you should ), by example, if you're facing a (loki/kronos) rusher, you should ALWAYS build them behind your TC, but always in TC range.

Good article by the way

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
posted 16 August 2004 08:10 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Nice tips, valuable to newbies.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
posted 16 August 2004 08:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
I do most of the things in this guide, but I'm not 1700++... To get that high I assume you must have a strategy, not just know where to place buildings, etc. In this guide, you didnt even mention the words rushing, fast heroic and booming.
posted 16 August 2004 09:19 AM EDT (US)     9 / 32  

Quote:

Expand!! - Don't build buildings right next to each other. Expand your empire. Don't build farms around only one town center. Build them around each one. Don't only have 24 gold mines at one mine. Put 8 at 3 different mines.

This is difficult for Ra, because he loses his +15% Resource Bonus by having villagers spread out. He can do two things:

- Make a priest for each drop site (A lot more Pop)

- Not use Priests (and lose his best bonus)

- Have all villagers at one drop site (and risk raiding parties finding them)

Personally I use the latter one because I find that even if I lose up to 20 villagers in a raid, I can easily get them back with my super economy (especially with Rain + Bast) within a few minutes (3 TCs can make 20 villagers in just over 2 minutes)

posted 16 August 2004 09:55 AM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
EDITED.. Any more suggestions now?

[This message has been edited by Mythical_King (edited 08-16-2004 @ 09:56 AM).]

posted 16 August 2004 11:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
Pretty good posts, can be made better over time I think, like some people hacve mentioned things to be corrected etc. So overall good job.

Hey Antz we need to play some 2v2 loki some times

[This message has been edited by zBurito (edited 08-16-2004 @ 11:38 AM).]

posted 16 August 2004 12:20 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
Great Post and the tips r reallyusefull.

I cant say this is a <<guide>> to 1700 but is a guide to aom.U cant go to 1700 by just reading guides.I have read tons of guides and still my highest rating is 1692 (now im 1662).

Again ur post is one of the better i have read

The reason I play Isis???
She is too sexy to go on waste!
Who cares about a/e...

Spamming forums = Learning english !
Flaming noobs = Break from the lessons...

posted 16 August 2004 12:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
I got to 1700 by reading guides.. It definaltly is possible
posted 16 August 2004 01:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
This game is probably easiest to learn by just reading guides and watching recs.... I dont know that from experience but by seeing my friends etc improve. I dont like watching xpert recs ither to much, Id rather learn my self :P
posted 16 August 2004 01:18 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  

Quote:

Hey Antz we need to play some 2v2 loki some times

You former LoH_Rusher ?

Sure we can do 2vs2 Loki sometimes, althought I use the nick TOAO_Calypze nowmore. 1703 ATM

posted 16 August 2004 01:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
Yea its me LoH,, stuff happend, so I quit along with alot of the other AoT : lohers. Congrats on the nice rate
posted 16 August 2004 02:46 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
Ok thx I added FFR_Rusher to my ESO friend list

posted 16 August 2004 02:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
umm.. how about talking about my topic? Half the posts at this topic are spam :P
posted 16 August 2004 03:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
yeah seriously this isnt AIM.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 16 August 2004 03:34 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
To be honest I dont do all these things perfectly and that's why i cant get to 1700.Also i suck late game and sometimes i fail to rush someone because i have idle tc.
Also my econ balance sometimes is horrible BUT I have good micro.If i work on these things i hope i will reach 1700 quickly

Guys i play Loki too.LOL.1692 max!!!

The reason I play Isis???
She is too sexy to go on waste!
Who cares about a/e...

Spamming forums = Learning english !
Flaming noobs = Break from the lessons...

posted 16 August 2004 03:35 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
You won't get anewhere without a proper well thought out plan

Ex member of the good clan VnX
Ex member of the better clan PW
Applicant member for Orion
posted 16 August 2004 04:36 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
some suggestions mr know everything?
posted 16 August 2004 06:44 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
1 suggestion. change the bit that says keep on spamming until the battle is in your favour.
i would only do that if it was close. no point if you are losing, waste of recs
posted 16 August 2004 07:49 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
Well I mean when it's like late game and you have 12 rax. You can keep spamming because at 12 guys per 10 seconds you should keep spamming until the battle is in your favour. Don't do it in the beginning when u need to use ur resources very very wisely and spamming a losing battle will possibly allow you to lose
posted 17 August 2004 05:19 AM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
Well if thats what you mean put that in with the post so they know too! o__O
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Climbing your way up to 17+
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames